As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Gameplay wise 13-2 was much better.

The addition of cross/wide and shift animation skipping alone made it 10x better.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Chara CaroliChara Caroli Canes VenaticiRegistered User regular
    I finished FFXIII and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I've ordered a 3D print of Lightning's pendant.

Ending spoilers:
    I liked Barthandelus as the villain. His plan had so many redundancies that there wasn't even a way to stop him.
    Until, of course, the power of friendship saved the day.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Sharon Begley
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

The addition of cross/wide and shift animation skipping alone made it 10x better.

On the other hand, the characters are garbage and collecting pokemon for the third slot is so much less interesting than the class changes of 13.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Collecting monsters was one of my favorite parts of XIII-2, personally.

But then I guess the caveat here is that I never actually reached the point in XIII where you really get three party members period.

I'm obviously biased because for whatever reason FF13 is my second favorite Final Fantasy, and my first favorite-playing Final Fantasy. I love the gameplay so much in that game, it was a complete joy for me. I even did all the dumb high level grindy optional garbage that I never do in the other games, just because it meant more time experiencing that battle system.

I gave up on 13-2 after a few hours. Never bothered with 13-3.

Fang isn't in either of them so what's the point engaging with new mechanics I hate?

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    i'm like thirty some hours into smt iv: apocalypse and it is amazing to me how much i love this game considering how much i hate every member of my party (but especially hallelujah)

i just really like making these monsters and gods to fight other monsters and gods

i can't wait to side with lucifer as i have a feeling choosing a side is coming up

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IF I AM WRONG

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

I thought Serah and Noel were great. Time traveling buddy cop adventure was pretty compelling. More so than any of the motivations 13 gave.

On the other hand both the villain of 13 and 13-2 were garbage. It's like someone read what a Xanatos gambit was and decided to write a character based on the concept without actually understanding why it's a good trope or that it needs particularly good writing to support it.

Which hot damn FF13 and it's sequels did not have.

steam_sig.png
    On the other hand both the villain of 13 and 13-2 were garbage. It's like someone read what a Xanatos gambit was and decided to write a character based on the concept without actually understanding why it's a good trope or that it needs particularly good writing to support it.

Which hot damn FF13 and it's sequels did not have.

I can't speak for the sequels, but I didn't have any major problems with 13 and I loved the gambit.

What do you see as the issues?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I actually disagree that 13-2 had better gameplay.

The monsters usually had pretty limited skillsets and most of the time I found myself just wanting a 3rd human.

Dragkonias wrote: »

The monsters usually had pretty limited skillsets and most of the time I found myself just wanting a 3rd human.

???

Most of the monsters had fairly large ability lists with the option to add other skills. While they were monsters it was mechanically just a role slot reskinned. Except some semi interesting wrinkles with being able to stack types for bonuses or whatnot.

But there wasn't much mechanically different from having lightning switch between com/Rav or having a red/blue chocobo.

I mean except the chocobo having more personality.

steam_sig.png

Please stop making fun of my schoolgirl crush.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Please stop making fun of my schoolgirl crush.

I'm sorry for insulting the chocobo. I'm sure it has plenty of other advantages over Lightning as well.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, so 2.5 hours in to FFXIII and eeeh, it's not as bad as it sounded base on complaints here, but it's not great. However, so far it only seems slightly more anime than FFXV, and just now getting access to the Paradigm system, it's on the right trajectory to be a more enjoyable FF game.

Someone said that for some time I ought to just run past enemies because there'll be time to catch up on character progression, how long should I do that for?

Don't do that.

The games designed so that you should be maxing out your current cyrstarum level right around the end of each chapter. Just go through normally and you should be right on level for all the boss fights. Avoiding enemies early on is just going to make the bosses really hard, and a couple of them are tricky even on level.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »

???

Most of the monsters had fairly large ability lists with the option to add other skills. While they were monsters it was mechanically just a role slot reskinned. Except some semi interesting wrinkles with being able to stack types for bonuses or whatnot.

But there wasn't much mechanically different from having lightning switch between com/Rav or having a red/blue chocobo.

But instead of several layers of mechanics and money sinks what I really wanted is another cool transforming weapon, a simple crystarium thing, and a third actual character

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    My feelings on 13-2 are kind of like a mirror for a lot of people's on 13.

In that I thought it was really good at first and then got worse as it went on.

The monster taming thing was cool at the beginning, but after I realized that my two actual party members had some pretty glaring gaps in there abilities and eventually actually have a hard time keeping up with your monsters if you train them right I really didn't like it.

Right around when I quit I had gotten a robot monster who was doing easily 3x the damage of Serah and Noel. And most of my good buffs were also coming from monsters. And then I didn't care and just wanted to play Dragon Quest Monsters instead.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I want another Dragon Quest Monsters so bad

2x39jD4.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man, Fate/Extella is clearly a direct sequel to Fate/EXTRA and Fate/EXTRA CCC. Not that they'd be required for playing it, but if you've played Fate/EXTRA you'd actually know all the terms and most of the characters and have a clue at what's going on at the start.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    But can it drift?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    FF13-2 had the little Chichu monster which was apparently a destroyer of worlds, removed any challenge from an already easy game.

So annoyed we never got the enhanced Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, or the rereleases.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it's technically a JRPG, but Dragon Quest Builders is hot as shit, IMO.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, so 2.5 hours in to FFXIII and eeeh, it's not as bad as it sounded base on complaints here, but it's not great. However, so far it only seems slightly more anime than FFXV, and just now getting access to the Paradigm system, it's on the right trajectory to be a more enjoyable FF game.

Someone said that for some time I ought to just run past enemies because there'll be time to catch up on character progression, how long should I do that for?
    You've already reached the point where you should no longer habitually avoid combat (you should stop that once you reach chapter 3 and have access to the Crystarium).

Those were great tweaks. It's unfortunate that the difficulty of 13-2 is so low that the gameplay as a whole suffers greatly. It's still fantastic when played using self-imposed restrictions (challenge runs) though.

I really wish Square was doing game patches back during the 13 trilogy like they are now. Both of these features could have been patched into 13.
    I finished FFXIII and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I've ordered a 3D print of Lightning's pendant.

Ending spoilers:
    I liked Barthandelus as the villain. His plan had so many redundancies that there wasn't even a way to stop him.
    Until, of course, the power of friendship saved the day.
    What saved the day was a literal deus ex machina. The goddess Etro intervened.

For more information about this, you can do the post-game content, which will have a set of lithographs that reveal important cosmological information.

Or you can just play 13-2, which describes things more directly.
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm obviously biased because for whatever reason FF13 is my second favorite Final Fantasy, and my first favorite-playing Final Fantasy. I love the gameplay so much in that game, it was a complete joy for me. I even did all the dumb high level grindy optional garbage that I never do in the other games, just because it meant more time experiencing that battle system.

Fang isn't in either of them so what's the point engaging with new mechanics I hate?
    Fang is in both of them (albeit very briefly in 13-2), and she's in your party for part of 13-3.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    The Sauce wrote: »
    What saved the day was a literal deus ex machina. The goddess Etro intervened.

For more information about this, you can do the post-game content, which will have a set of lithographs that reveal important cosmological information.

Or you can just play 13-2, which describes things more directly.
    Thanks, that's interesting! I look forward to learning more in the sequels.

Although, funnily enough, I wouldn't call it a Deus ex machina.
    Summing a god was Barthandelus's stated goal, so divine intervention actually makes more sense than Fang and Vanille gaining some new superpower.

As a bonus, it means his plan really did work (in a manner of speaking).

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    I don't know if it's technically a JRPG, but Dragon Quest Builders is hot as shit, IMO.

I would just tweak it a little, like I don't care for the individual maps, but it's a v. good game.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Fang is in Lightning Returns, actually.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Fang is in Lightning Returns, actually.

I didn't actually know that, that's pretty cool. Unfortunately I am terrible at character action games so I doubt I could get past that to the point where she'd show up.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I thought Lightning Returns was still an RPG using the Paradigm system, not a character action game.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    FF13-2 had the little Chichu monster which was apparently a destroyer of worlds, removed any challenge from an already easy game.

So annoyed we never got the enhanced Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, or the rereleases.

Oh yeah. That was the issue. I thought 13's gameplay had a better overall pace compared to the sequel.

And I know some folks like grindy stuff like the monster mechanic but I didn't really care for it. Especially since there were ones that were clearly superior.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I thought Lightning Returns was still an RPG using the Paradigm system, not a character action game.

It steals things from both. The main aspect it's like a CAG is that you can time blocks for additional defense, and attacking enemies at certain point in an animation can have an increased effect. You can also move around the battlefield a bit, but I never noticed it have any particular impact. It doesn't really have 'paradigms' persay, but rather you can customize multiple equipment/ability loadouts and swap between those at will.

Whatever it was I hated it immediately and got the game refunded.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    It's somewhere between a command-driven game and an action-RPG. It has movement and active defending, but it also has ATB bars (and you switch between them as though you're controlling multiple characters, but it's all just Lightning in different load-outs).

It takes a bit to click, but when it does it's absolutely excellent. It's a very different sort of experience from the system in 13 and 13-2, but it's just as good.

I wish the game had a larger budget and longer development time, but I understand why it was the way that it was.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I will give Lightning Returns another shot if they do a trilogy rerelease on PS4, but despite liking 13 and 13-2 (got the plat on 13-2), I couldn't stand LR. The main core gameplay was fine, but it was a game that expected you to do all the side quests too, and they were just horrible. Like running around towns trying to find posters or some shit that took way longer than they should've and were just completely anti-fun to me.

The combat gameplay was actually challenging at times which was kind of cool to see. You had to play more strategically than most FF games demand.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I didn't like xiii-2 at all

serah seemed like another flavor of vanille, aka the least interesting character from XIII, I can't even remember the guy's name, and I don't think the mechanics of xiii were improved by pasting Pokémon onto it

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    yeah I also checked out basically immediately when I realized there was a Pokémon element.

That's really not what I'm looking for in a FF game

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    yeah I also checked out basically immediately when I realized there was a Pokémon element.

It's not really that pokeman-ish unless you want it to be.

I pretty much just had a healer chocobo and and did all my fighting with the two human characters just fine.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It's why I skipped World of Final Fantasy

I want my whole party to be real characters

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

It's not really that pokeman-ish unless you want it to be.

I pretty much just had a healer chocobo and and did all my fighting with the two human characters just fine.

I would much rather have picked up more of the old party to fill those roles than our old pal "chocobo".

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You can sort of do that with the DLC

They still function the same as monsters however

That said, I vastly preferred catching different monsters and customizing them by combining different skills into them compared to the total character growth auto pilot of 13

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    does
    the
    moose
    drift

This discussion has been closed.