As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pizzagate]; or, Ain't No Rest for the Wikileaks

12346»

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So Wikileaks is now just straight-up promoting conspiracy theories, huh?

Just blatantly trying to stir up an invented moral panic?

Holy fuck and here I thought it wouldn't be possible for them to fall any lower.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Holy fuck and here I thought it wouldn't be possible for them to fall any lower.

Well, if you look at it from the perspective that they are now being used to spread misinformation by a national player, it does make a perverse sort of sense.

Once wikileaks picked up enough clout to be taken seriously, it could be used for other means. The question remains of Greenwald, et. al. were sucked into helping with that. It wouldn't surprise me but at the same time, I would rather believe that Snowden is just a man who got completely in over his head instead of being a scary long term mole.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Well, if you look at it from the perspective that they are now being used to spread misinformation by a national player, it does make a perverse sort of sense.

Once wikileaks picked up enough clout to be taken seriously, it could be used for other means. The question remains of Greenwald, et. al. were sucked into helping with that. It wouldn't surprise me but at the same time, I would rather believe that Snowden is just a man who got completely in over his head instead of being a scary long term mole.

I think Snowden was a naive idealist who was very easily manipulated by those who had a lot more savvy than he did. He thought he was doing the world a great good and likely didn't even think beyond 'the people must know about this!'

When it came to intrigue, he was playing a game of checkers while everyone else was playing 3 dimensional chess.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

I think Snowden was a naive idealist who was very easily manipulated by those who had a lot more savvy than he did. He thought he was doing the world a great good and likely didn't even think beyond 'the people must know about this!'

When it came to intrigue, he was playing a game of checkers while everyone else was playing 3 dimensional chess.

I don't think he was that innocent. He wanted his name to be in everyone's head.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Assange was possibly upset that his name or Wikileaks wasn't being mentioned enough in the news in the last 24 hours or his handlers sweet-talked him into doing it.

So Julian Assange, since you are probably reading this during your hours of Googling your own name: you are a silly goose.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Shouldn't Assange be asking Trump for a deal, since he loves him so much and worked hard to get him elected?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Part of me wants to cringe at the idea, but it seems like it could be a huge waste of time for both parties and might distract from better things being destroyed as quickly.

Alternately, what happens when two attention-whoring narcissists are in the same room together?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Part of me wants to cringe at the idea, but it seems like it could be a huge waste of time for both parties and might distract from better things being destroyed as quickly.

Alternately, what happens when two attention-whoring narcissists are in the same room together?

If Assange praises Trump and damns Obama hard enough, he could be in the cabinet after the first round of axes fall for the inital crop. Cybersecurity perhaps.