As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XP Repair Issues

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So in my ongoing quest to actually get my computer running again, I've decided that my Windows installation could possibly be the source of the system not loading. I tried to run a repair on my system drive (labeled F). Windows installs (the first portion), but when it reboots to set up Windows I'm having some issues. It gets to the installing devices part (34 minutes remaining), and then the mouse and keyboard stop responding. The screen isn't frozen, but the installation does not continue.

What do I do?

Also odd is that the system recognizes my system drive as F, but the Windows repair identifies the drive as C. Any ideas?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
Grundlestiltskin on

• Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It sounds like your current Windows installation is too corrupted for a repair. It will save you some headache if you just go ahead and do a clean install.

As for why your system drive will show up as something other than C. This is most comonnly caused by having other hard drives, digital card readers or zip drives hooked up when you did the original installation. This will result in all your other drives showing up before the system drive and your optical drives coming last. If, on the other hand, your system drive was C once upon a time and is now showing as a different letter, well that's really effing bad in Windows terms and you pretty much have to do a clean install.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So I installed windows on an old HD, it's running now. I was able to pull everything off my old system drive. My game drive, however, is having some issues. It shows up in the bios, but it doesn't show up in My Computer. Thoughts?

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nevermind, the WD diagnostic says it's boned. Let's see if it can fix it.

Grundlestiltskin on