As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The LGBT Thread

• MarsMars Registered User regular
    I had the thought a while ago that he might do a midnight commutation, when it couldn't hurt election chances any more, but I was kind of afraid to say it out loud. It's nice to have good news for once.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Midnight amendment #1: Be Cool

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    the comments i keep seeing now are:
    1) pardon Julian Assange, and
    2) pardon Edward Snowden

Snowden didn't ask for any clemency

as for Assange, he's been accused of rape, and Obama likely doesn't even have the ability to pardon him for crimes he committed under another country's jurisdiction.

Yeah. If Assange has been indicted in the US (and while it's a possibility it's hardly clear) the indictment is sealed. We would never even know if it had existed if it was cleared.

It's Sweden who is seeking his extradition for rape charges. And he did not say he would face extradition to Sweden which is his out.

fuck gendered marketing
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

For the first time in many years, I'm actually going to pay attention to the Wikileaks Twitter account.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    not sure where else to post this

but Standing Rock and NoDAPL is still going on
    I have a bit of catching up to do, because this unfortunately left my sights in the madness of the last month

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    2) pardon Edward Snowden

as for Assange, he's been accused of rape, and Obama likely doesn't even have the ability to pardon him for crimes he committed under another country's jurisdiction.

Yeah. If Assange has been indicted in the US (and while it's a possibility it's hardly clear) the indictment is sealed. We would never even know if it had existed if it was cleared.

It's Sweden who is seeking his extradition for rape charges. And he did not say he would face extradition to Sweden which is his out.

Of course, the moment he leaves the embassy into the hands of anyone, he loses the ability to say where he'd like to go.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    2) pardon Edward Snowden

liEt3nH.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So I don't know much about military prisons; how come it's going to be 4 months until her release?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Wow... I'm speechless. Shocked but in a good way. Never in a million years did I actually expect this.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    On the one hand, if anyone deserves a life of quiet dignity and privacy it's Chelsea. On the other, I sure hope we see her as an active voice in the future regarding activism and such. If anyone has a unique perspective worthy of hearing it's her.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dubh wrote: »

I have a bit of catching up to do, because this unfortunately left my sights in the madness of the last month

NoDAPL is something I've been following very closely for more than half a year; it's very near and dear to my heart. At this point, police can do basically whatever they want I guess, but DAPL MUST stop working as of this morning. A judge has finally issued an absolute requirement that before work continues a proper, complete EIS must be submitted. Fucking FINALLY. This only applies to the DAPL digging under Lake Oahe, and apparently the only person who can (take steps to but not right away or anything) overturn that ruling is the President himself.

So they're not really entirely sure what's going to happen come the 20th, but it's an amazing start and people at the camp are very very happy about the ruling. So many smiles today. :)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Well I'll be fucked

something to look forward to this year

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Well I'll be fucked

Reminder that Trump has about $3 million invested in the company.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Well I'll be fucked

Reminder that Trump has about $3 million invested in the company.

sometimes its ok to feel hope for a second without feeling the need to immediately step on it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    bit of navel-gazing for me here
    re: NoDAPL, this sounds like amazing news and I'm so happy that all of the struggle that the protestors have experienced has paid off in some way; hopefully there will be some indication of what will happen after Saturday, but for now it's awesome that they've at least won a complete EIS (an acronym I only know about thanks to Parks & Rec, btw)

I have not been following NoDAPL at all; it's popped up in my feed and the cause is huge, but I actually know very little about it apart from what my friends are saying on various social media outlets, and I'm okay supporting it in principle simply because I respect my friends

this has led to an interesting reflection on guilt - that I haven't been able to devote any time or attention to NoDAPL at all, and thus making me feel like a bad person for voluntarily opting out of being more informed or supportive of it

but as others in this and other threads have implied, I think - and this is the crux of my post - that it's kinda okay to prioritize certain causes over others, because you cannot realistically do all of it without incurring a cost (be it emotional, mental, physical, or resource-based)

social activism, particularly with the support of social media platforms, highlights that there is a LOT to support, but the reality is that you cannot devote 100% of yourself to all of them... and there is so much going on in the world that it's very hard to have time for absolutely everything

thus, NoDAPL and a few other prominent causes have slipped below my radar, and for the most part I've tried to be okay about it, but when it does come up I feel bad not just because I'm not doing something (because, well, I'm not in the US), but also because I don't have enough information about it to be able to be an educator or advocate for it

I have walked right on past some street-based donation seekers (usually World Vision and the like) because generally they pop up after a day of treating young homeless people for mental health issues and I just CAN'T engage in that sort of talk, and this still makes me feel guilty even if I know I absolutely cannot be "on" all the time, because if I try I will burn out and be no good to any of my clients, let alone anyone else

and as it's brought up repeatedly in service provision circles - you can either do the bare minimum for a large number of people, or do excellent "perfect" work for a small group of people, and practically speaking we have to be okay sitting somewhere in between those two spaces; pushing to do excellent "perfect" work for a large number of people is not feasible given that there are only so many hours in the day and is actually dangerous for your clients and for yourself - tired, burned out workers make bad decisions that can be to the detriment of the clients; we have seen this across a range of contexts

like, boundary-less youth workers is a common one - people with huge hearts but no regard for their own self-care, only to burn themselves out entirely because no one told them to slow down and maintain your boundaries and then the youth sector loses them all together when they inevitably move on on something else

I deeply appreciate something @Dubh posted a while back about doing what you can - if you can do certain things, do them, if you can't do more, that's okay, just do what you can... that post was hugely helpful for me, not just to encourage me to action but also to alleviate my feelings of guilt and shame that I'm not doing more, because sometimes we get paralyzed by the size and magnitude of the problem that we don't even start because "what's the point"

I mean, I wonder a lot if I use my job as a therapist as an excuse not to do more - this comes up often in my supervision sessions - because there is just so much work to do and it's hard to keep in mind that you are not doing any of it alone, but prioritizing the various causes out there enables me to continue to do the work I can with the belief that other people are picking up my slack in other areas

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2017
    Yeah there is absolutely no way for me to do everything for everything, so I've picked two or three different things that I really try to focus on. As someone who is all about water, NoDAPL speaks to me on a primal level.

I keep abreast of current events, follow countless people both inside and outside of Camp, I've donated to the legal fund and the Medic and Healing Council, donated clothing and food, attended benefits, etc. I have almost all of the infos, so I am not the worst person to ask outside of a camp.

ceres on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    So I don't know much about military prisons; how come it's going to be 4 months until her release?

The article I read said that it's a standard amount of time to allow the person to make post-prison arrangements and transition out. I think it would usually be a bad idea to dump someone out on the street the minute their sentence ends abruptly, even if that might not be true in this case.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    http://time.com/4633920/wikileaks-julian-assange-extradition-chelsea-manning/

Well holy shit, someone check for pigs with aviator helmets.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    That was 5 days ago. See what he says tomorrow.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    remember that Chelsea was not pardoned: she was commuted
    and that all the framework for giving her this ridiculously unfair statement in the first place still exists

Miss me? Find me on:

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    remember that Chelsea was not pardoned: she was commuted
    and that all the framework for giving her this ridiculously unfair statement in the first place still exists

For members of the military, it's worth noting.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Still can't fuckin believe it.

I'm a pessimist and every time I think about this I just can't see how this is anything but good. I can't poke holes. What is this feeling I'm feeling

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    bit of navel-gazing for me here
    re: NoDAPL, this sounds like amazing news and I'm so happy that all of the struggle that the protestors have experienced has paid off in some way; hopefully there will be some indication of what will happen after Saturday, but for now it's awesome that they've at least won a complete EIS (an acronym I only know about thanks to Parks & Rec, btw)

I have not been following NoDAPL at all; it's popped up in my feed and the cause is huge, but I actually know very little about it apart from what my friends are saying on various social media outlets, and I'm okay supporting it in principle simply because I respect my friends

this has led to an interesting reflection on guilt - that I haven't been able to devote any time or attention to NoDAPL at all, and thus making me feel like a bad person for voluntarily opting out of being more informed or supportive of it

but as others in this and other threads have implied, I think - and this is the crux of my post - that it's kinda okay to prioritize certain causes over others, because you cannot realistically do all of it without incurring a cost (be it emotional, mental, physical, or resource-based)

social activism, particularly with the support of social media platforms, highlights that there is a LOT to support, but the reality is that you cannot devote 100% of yourself to all of them... and there is so much going on in the world that it's very hard to have time for absolutely everything

thus, NoDAPL and a few other prominent causes have slipped below my radar, and for the most part I've tried to be okay about it, but when it does come up I feel bad not just because I'm not doing something (because, well, I'm not in the US), but also because I don't have enough information about it to be able to be an educator or advocate for it

I have walked right on past some street-based donation seekers (usually World Vision and the like) because generally they pop up after a day of treating young homeless people for mental health issues and I just CAN'T engage in that sort of talk, and this still makes me feel guilty even if I know I absolutely cannot be "on" all the time, because if I try I will burn out and be no good to any of my clients, let alone anyone else

and as it's brought up repeatedly in service provision circles - you can either do the bare minimum for a large number of people, or do excellent "perfect" work for a small group of people, and practically speaking we have to be okay sitting somewhere in between those two spaces; pushing to do excellent "perfect" work for a large number of people is not feasible given that there are only so many hours in the day and is actually dangerous for your clients and for yourself - tired, burned out workers make bad decisions that can be to the detriment of the clients; we have seen this across a range of contexts

like, boundary-less youth workers is a common one - people with huge hearts but no regard for their own self-care, only to burn themselves out entirely because no one told them to slow down and maintain your boundaries and then the youth sector loses them all together when they inevitably move on on something else

I deeply appreciate something @Dubh posted a while back about doing what you can - if you can do certain things, do them, if you can't do more, that's okay, just do what you can... that post was hugely helpful for me, not just to encourage me to action but also to alleviate my feelings of guilt and shame that I'm not doing more, because sometimes we get paralyzed by the size and magnitude of the problem that we don't even start because "what's the point"

I mean, I wonder a lot if I use my job as a therapist as an excuse not to do more - this comes up often in my supervision sessions - because there is just so much work to do and it's hard to keep in mind that you are not doing any of it alone, but prioritizing the various causes out there enables me to continue to do the work I can with the belief that other people are picking up my slack in other areas

Therapists are invaluable. Due to intersection of certain life stuff, I can't pick any old therapist, so when I find one I like I can't tell you what a big deal that is to me.

I'm very invested in NoDAPL, because I'm a registered member of an American Indian tribe, but aren't you Australian? You're still an excellent person even if you aren't in the same position I am. You deserve the same regard you would give someone else in your position. :bro:

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Whippy wrote: »
    Still can't fuckin believe it.

I'm a pessimist and every time I think about this I just can't see how this is anything but good. I can't poke holes. What is this feeling I'm feeling

this is absolutely good

the bad parts are all around it, but the fact that she's gonna be out is good <3

Miss me? Find me on:

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

NoDAPL is something I've been following very closely for more than half a year; it's very near and dear to my heart. At this point, police can do basically whatever they want I guess, but DAPL MUST stop working as of this morning. A judge has finally issued an absolute requirement that before work continues a proper, complete EIS must be submitted. Fucking FINALLY. This only applies to the DAPL digging under Lake Oahe, and apparently the only person who can (take steps to but not right away or anything) overturn that ruling is the President himself.

So they're not really entirely sure what's going to happen come the 20th, but it's an amazing start and people at the camp are very very happy about the ruling. So many smiles today. :)

I recently got a personal motivation to pay attention to DAPL coverage added to my more abstract motivations: my cousin is a police officer working for the police in that area, and he's had to go out to the protest site occasionally. I'm really hoping shit de-escalates so the higher-ups don't order him to do anything morally questionable.

IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »

I recently got a personal motivation to pay attention to DAPL coverage added to my more abstract motivations: my cousin is a police officer working for the police in that area, and he's had to go out to the protest site occasionally. I'm really hoping shit de-escalates so the higher-ups don't order him to do anything morally questionable.

Well, I think we're a little past "morally questionable" at this point, though I'm hoping your cousin doesn't have to join that.

It sounds like de-escalation isn't in the cards just yet, because while this is definitely a victory, nobody trusts DAPL workers not to drill, and the police are still there being menacing and shooting at amputees who can't run with rubber bullets at close range. :P People are talking about continuing to hold camp (albeit in heavily reduced numbers) entirely because the people there can't trust ETP or the local police/national guard, but there has been some conflict with the tribal council itself as well as the issue of the coming floods.

Since the vets arrived in early December things have become more complicated each week between the camps and the tribe, the camps and the locals, and the camps internally. Sorting through all the emotion, (well-earned) paranoia, and rumors driven by anger and disappointment most of which is coming from outside camp feels like an impossible task sometimes.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    It's also not impossible that he recognizes her situation for the horror that it was/is and genuinely wanted to fix it.

It also may be that he knows that, once he did this, her life would get harder before she was released, so he waited until now to stall that.

But Who knows.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He probably waited for the same reason why every President waits to pardon until they are a lame duck: to avoid political fallout.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://time.com/4633920/wikileaks-julian-assange-extradition-chelsea-manning/

Well holy shit, someone check for pigs with aviator helmets.
    DBoFyy8.jpg?1
    ?

wandering on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Naturally.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Who called it?

Oh right, literally everybody.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I am stunned by the revelation that Julian Assange is a craven piece of shit

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Julian Assange has to use technicalities to shield himself up on his high horse I guess

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    The irony is that the asshole has been hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy for like six years in order to avoid extradition. If he'd just turned himself in he'd probably be out of prison by now.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The irony is that the asshole has been hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy for like six years in order to avoid extradition. If he'd just turned himself in he'd probably be out of prison by now.

Oof, I don't know. Maybe for the one thing but if the US got hold of him I think they'd find a pretty dark place to keep him.

it's also ironic that he talked about getting extradited to the US yet they haven't got one out for him- it's Sweden that does, yet he never mentioned going to Sweden to face the allegations at all

Hey if I offered to relinquish my freedom for a fucking black raspberry ice cream cone and you handed me a strawberry one and said "good enough now give yourself over to me" you could just fuck right off with that shit.

This isn't something small and stupid like an ice cream cone though, this is about a person whose sentence was commuted rather than being pardoned, a person near and dear to the hearts of many for what she did, and a pardon is what was asked for. Everyone thinks it sucks, but turning oneself over to authorities is kind of a big deal and this is not the exchange he proposed. I get it, and no way would I do it if it were me in his place. He set the terms and they were not met. It doesn't even matter if I hate him, because I know I would do the same under this circumstance and I would feel completely justified in doing so.

edited January 2017
    the thing is that at the time the likelyhood of her being granted clemency (the precise word wikileaks used during their first times mentioning the idea, and commutation is the most common form of clemency) was so low that his offer came off as just more attention-seeking bullshit

and now that she's going to be free, albeit in 4 months and not immediately, his rapid backpedalling and insistence that it just wasn't exactly what he demanded while ALSO crowing that it's a huge victory for wikileaks is laughable and just another demonstration of the self-serving attitude of Assange and wikileaks these days.

Anzekay on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hey if I offered to relinquish my freedom for a fucking black raspberry ice cream cone and you handed me a strawberry one and said "good enough now give yourself over to me" you could just fuck right off with that shit.

This isn't something small and stupid like an ice cream cone though, this is about a person whose sentence was commuted rather than being pardoned, a person near and dear to the hearts of many for what she did, and a pardon is what was asked for. Everyone thinks it sucks, but turning oneself over to authorities is kind of a big deal and this is not the exchange he proposed. I get it, and no way would I do it if it were me in his place. He set the terms and they were not met. It doesn't even matter if I hate him, because I know I would do the same under this circumstance and I would feel completely justified in doing so.

Obama was never, under any circumstances, going to pardon someone who, on multiple occasions, deliberately and indiscriminately leaked thousands of classified documents with no consideration of national security whatsoever. How Chelsea Manning was subsequently treated by the military was abominable, and torture. It should not have happened.

But pardoning was out of the question.

As for Assange, bullshit. He was trying to call a bluff on Obama, and for whatever reason (ranging from complete cynicism to complete optimism) Obama gave no fucks. Assange doesn't care that Manning has a criminal record, Assange cares because he doesn't want to go to prison for rape.

This discussion has been closed.