As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rogue One] A Spoiler Filled Thread

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Also the Hammerhead corvette was totally a toy placement. Like, the call-out was so explicit and then BAM money shot of the STAR WARS HAMMERHEAD CORVETTE (R) AVAILABLE NOW FROM HASBRO, but whatever I don't care. It was fuckin' cool Goddammit.

Star Destroyers make absolutely no sense as a warship, and it makes no sense for a guy with a laser sword to take down people with laser sub machine guns, and why can you see all these laser bolts in the first place again? Why is the Empire using giant walking mech things that are so easy to see & shoot? Why are engagement ranges in the SW universe apparently all measured in meters at best?

So, fuck it, just have fun watching the HAMMERHEAD CORVETTE ram the fucking Star Destroyer into another Star Destroyer for MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION. Why can it do that? Because it's called a HAMMERHEAD, and you don't call it that for nothin', obviously!

With Love and Courage
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Also the Hammerhead corvette was totally a toy placement. Like, the call-out was so explicit and then BAM money shot of the STAR WARS HAMMERHEAD CORVETTE (R) AVAILABLE NOW FROM HASBRO, but whatever I don't care. It was fuckin' cool Goddammit.

Star Destroyers make absolutely no sense as a warship, and it makes no sense for a guy with a laser sword to take down people with laser sub machine guns, and why can you see all these laser bolts in the first place again? Why is the Empire using giant walking mech things that are so easy to see & shoot? Why are engagement ranges in the SW universe apparently all measured in meters at best?

So, fuck it, just have fun watching the HAMMERHEAD CORVETTE ram the fucking Star Destroyer into another Star Destroyer for MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION. Why can it do that? Because it's called a HAMMERHEAD, and you don't call it that for nothin', obviously!

Oddly enough, there are zero Hammerhead corvette toys that I am aware of. No Hasbro ships. No LEGO sets. No Hot Wheels or Micro Machines. None at all.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm going to go do something Star Warsy on my computer now, because I need my fix again. Gotta get that shit back in my veins.

That's been my reaction, but I didn't even notice it.
    Force Awakens didn't spark this in me (I liked it, but it was just a movie I liked), but in the time since I watched Rogue One, I have re-installed Knights of the Old Republic and Lego Star Wars, looked into (and now entirely caught up on) Rebels, and started reading through the Thrawn trilogy again.

I do believe I've relapsed.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Star Destroyers make sense in a "We're going to come directly at you fucking your shit up" kind of way. It's a configuration that lets the ship put all guns on a target in front of it at once. It essentially allows for a nose first broadside. This also means it has a very obvious weakness. Get behind a Star Destroyer and all it can do is desperately try and turn. Of course this is pretty much ignored.

Star Wars doesn't have laser anything. It has "blasters" which if you take into account the whole Tibanna Gas thing, are probably more akin to plasma weapons than laser weapons.

Star Wars doesn't have laser anything. It has "blasters" which if you take into account the whole Tibanna Gas thing, are probably more akin to plasma weapons than laser weapons.
    Actually, the hand weapons (and smaller ship mounted weapons, like on snowspeeders) are blasters, but proper fighters like X-Wings/TIEs have laser cannons, and capital ships have lasers and turbolasers.
    And so no-one else needs to do this in response:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Also, "turbolasers" is probably the dumbest word in Star Wars.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Jazz wrote: »

Death sticks, younglings, Darth Icky...

Harry Dresden on
    edited January 2017
    Jazz wrote: »
    Challenge accepted.
    • Transparisteel
    • Duracrete
    • Death-sticks
    Fucking Death-sticks!

In comparison, turbolasers is pretty reasonable. It shoots lasers very quickly, what?
    edit: damn it, beaten.

klemming on
    In my defence, I did say "probably". :lol:

Okay, one of the dumbest. Especially from the OT, anyway.

It's just a relic of that late '70s / early '80s thing that was absolutely everywhere of slapping the word "turbo" onto something to make it sound cool.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Transparisteel isn't too bad. If we somehow magic together some sort of transparent metal I could see that sticking as a slang name for that category of material.

Turbo lasers actually fire slower than regular laser weapons.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Transparisteel isn't too bad. If we somehow magic together some sort of transparent metal I could see that sticking as a slang name for that category of material.

Wha? If they don't fire faster than regular lasers, or the lasers they fire don't move faster (which may be possible, as those things clearly aren't moving at lightspeed), then what the hell makes them turbo?

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    If you look closely, they have racing stripes. That makes them faster.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Wha? If they don't fire faster than regular lasers, or the lasers they fire don't move faster (which may be possible, as those things clearly aren't moving at lightspeed), then what the hell makes them turbo?

They are more powerful.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Y'all are all smoking something, because "turbolaser" is a great word.

Duracrete is also a great word. See also duralumin

Fencingsax wrote: »

They are more powerful.

In which case they should be called megalasers or hyperlasers or something.
    Yes, we're having this argument. The basis for my support of the use of the word 'turbo' has been removed, I'm very angry.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I saw the movie this afternoon. I'm annoyed by that space ramming thing.

Not because naval ramming isn't a thing. It is. It even was in the era of cruisers and battleships from which Star Wars borrows.

But amid what was a very cool looking space battle--better than anything in The Force Awakens I think--it was really dumb, because as follows:

1) The ramming ship should've "sank" immediately, if not exploded in a fireball. If you're a small ship ramming a bigger one, you better have a suicide wish. If you wanted to live, tough shit, you shouldn't have rammed a ship ten times your length and a hundred times your mass. As in the World Wars, ramming in this context makes more sense as an act of desperation combined with a tactical cost-benefit decision: damaging, if not destroying, a Imperial ship of the line is worth a lot more than your shitty suicide ram ship. Imagine if the A-Wing that smashed into the Executor did that, and then the pilot popped out and went, "Woohwee! Now that's ship ramming!" over the charred corpses of all the bridge crew.

2) After ramming the vastly larger ship, and all the damage that should've entailed, the ram ship is somehow able to summon several times more total thrust output. That would've been more useful in the actual ramming to deliver a crippling blow to a more valuable ship, but whatever, I guess that would've scratched your precious ram ship.

3) Using this miraculous thrust, the much smaller ram ship somehow pushes the much, much larger destroyer into another destroyer--which immediately splinters into a million pieces. Because the ram ship plowing into a much more massive warship scratched the paint, but one destroyer very slowly striking an equally massive destroyer immediately destroys both of them. This is not helped by the fact that we already saw two ships of a very similar class crash into each other at equal, or greater speed, in The Empire Strikes Back. What did they do? Their crews shouted a bunch, they crunched together--and made a very loud, satisfying sound--and the crew bounce around inside while alarms went off, then probably shouted some more.

It was a very dumb thing, I think. It stood out more because, honestly, the space battle (and air battle) was extremely visually impressive nonetheless.

Also, Darth Vader making puns is a much less imposing Darth Vader.

If we're going to complain about the space pushing thing, can we complain about the fact the Resistance has EMP missiles that can get through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley?

Where did these come from? Why have they never been used before or since? Why didn't they bring enough to disable both Star Destroyers in the R1 battle? Why didn't Leia fire some EMP missiles at Vader's SD in the beginning of ANH, let his disable ship drift and crash on Tatooine, and fly off with the Death Star plans after ridding the galaxy of the Sith Emperor's right hand?

Why is the Rebellion scared of the Empire at all if they have unstoppable single-shot kill-missiles for the Empire's greatest weapon pre-Death-Star? I've said it before and I'll say it again, R1 looks like it's about a desperate Empire about to be overrun by an overly-powerful Rebellion, not the other way around.

sig.gif
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Not because naval ramming isn't a thing. It is. It even was in the era of cruisers and battleships from which Star Wars borrows.

But amid what was a very cool looking space battle--better than anything in The Force Awakens I think--it was really dumb, because as follows:

1) The ramming ship should've "sank" immediately, if not exploded in a fireball. If you're a small ship ramming a bigger one, you better have a suicide wish. If you wanted to live, tough shit, you shouldn't have rammed a ship ten times your length and a hundred times your mass. As in the World Wars, ramming in this context makes more sense as an act of desperation combined with a tactical cost-benefit decision: damaging, if not destroying, a Imperial ship of the line is worth a lot more than your shitty suicide ram ship. Imagine if the A-Wing that smashed into the Executor did that, and then the pilot popped out and went, "Woohwee! Now that's ship ramming!" over the charred corpses of all the bridge crew.

2) After ramming the vastly larger ship, and all the damage that should've entailed, the ram ship is somehow able to summon several times more total thrust output. That would've been more useful in the actual ramming to deliver a crippling blow to a more valuable ship, but whatever, I guess that would've scratched your precious ram ship.

3) Using this miraculous thrust, the much smaller ram ship somehow pushes the much, much larger destroyer into another destroyer--which immediately splinters into a million pieces. Because the ram ship plowing into a much more massive warship scratched the paint, but one destroyer very slowly striking an equally massive destroyer immediately destroys both of them. This is not helped by the fact that we already saw two ships of a very similar class crash into each other at equal, or greater speed, in The Empire Strikes Back. What did they do? Their crews shouted a bunch, they crunched together--and made a very loud, satisfying sound--and the crew bounce around inside while alarms went off, then probably shouted some more.

It was a very dumb thing, I think. It stood out more because, honestly, the space battle (and air battle) was extremely visually impressive nonetheless.

If we're going to complain about the space pushing thing, can we complain about the fact the Resistance has EMP missiles that can get through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley?

Where did these come from? Why have they never been used before or since? Why didn't they bring enough to disable both Star Destroyers in the R1 battle? Why didn't Leia fire some EMP missiles at Vader's SD in the beginning of ANH, let his disable ship drift and crash on Tatooine, and fly off with the Death Star plans after ridding the galaxy of the Sith Emperor's right hand?

Why is the Rebellion scared of the Empire at all if they have unstoppable single-shot kill-missiles for the Empire's greatest weapon pre-Death-Star? I've said it before and I'll say it again, R1 looks like it's about a desperate Empire about to be overrun by an overly-powerful Rebellion, not the other way around.

They lacked numbers, and their alliance is on the verge of splintering. That they did well in one engagement is great but they are the underdog here. And they don't have any Death Stars laying around, or any Darth Vaders.

edited January 2017
    They threw pretty much everything they had at an assault on one Imperial base which didn't know they were coming, and lost so much in the process that they only had a handful of fighters left to deal with the planet-killer less than a week later.

edit: and going by Rebels, they spent years building up that collection of ships.
    The thing is, when we see the Empire's fleet, we're seeing a tiny part of their military. When we see the Rebellion's fleet, we're seeing the entire military force of the Rebellion.

klemming on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    They threw pretty much everything they had at an assault on one Imperial base which didn't know they were coming, and lost so much in the process that they only had a handful of fighters left to deal with the planet-killer less than a week later.

edit: and going by Rebels, they spent years building up that collection of ships.
    The thing is, when we see the Empire's fleet, we're seeing a tiny part of their military. When we see the Rebellion's fleet, we're seeing the entire military force of the Rebellion.

Stunlocking is way OP though. Nobody can get the balance right on that shit.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular

I think there was a whole episode of Rebels devoted to stealing some hammerhead ships. That hammerhead was probably a Rebels reference/easter egg.

I think there was a whole episode of Rebels devoted to stealing some hammerhead ships. That hammerhead was probably a Rebels reference/easter egg.
    I think it was both. The director was saying 'we need some ships to do this in this battle, and someone said 'how about these that they're putting in Rebels?' Serendipity.

Ion shots were shown to be pretty devastating in Empire.
    If they're really bothered by it, all they need to do is do an episode of Rebels or something where they steal a couple of very expensive prototype Ion Bombs.
    No, they don't have the means to make/get more, so they'll keep them until they really need them.

There's no shortage of possible OP weapons, anyway. Make some lightsabers, give them to a bunch droids like those buzzsaw droids in Ep3, and throw them at the enemy ship. They should be able to carve them apart pretty easily. Hull, weapons, viewports, engines...

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I thought the hammerhead was destroyed?

Hammerhead doesn't have more thrust than a star destroyer, not even close, but it does have big engines for its size and it had time to push the destroyer and build up momentum

and momentum is a deadly son of a bitch

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I thought the hammerhead was destroyed?

Hammerhead doesn't have more thrust than a star destroyer, not even close, but it does have big engines for its size and it had time to push the destroyer and build up momentum

and momentum is a deadly son of a bitch

So is mass. Those engines have to be utterly completely ludicrous and even then.

From a physics perspective or a military perspective or an engineering perspective, it's pretty ridiculous.

But it's Star Wars, so pew-pew lasers who cares.

shryke on
    Hammerheads first appeared in KOTOR, apparently.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Ion Torpedos/Cannons and Ion Weaponry in general has always been a thing in Star Wars. They don't go through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley, though. What we saw was the end result of that Star Destroyer taking tons of hits, losing their shields, and then taking a well placed Ion hit.

The upside to that kind of weaponry is that it does chew through shields faster and if you hit an unshielded target then a well placed hit could mess up any of their electronic systems. The downside is that they do close to zero actual physical damage to the target, at least not like lasers. So they are pretty useless when fighting TIEs or in small fighter engagements in general.

I don't think we saw it in the past because the Rebellion has almost always been either involved in fighter engagements or focused on doing actual damage to things like the Death Star.

• armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    I could find if the thread touched on it yet, but I heard the reason there is no opening crawl is because the story of Rogue One was lost to time. It's not the legend the main saga is, where people know the main players. They died mostly unknown.

I could find if the thread touched on it yet, but I heard the reason there is no opening crawl is because the story of Rogue One was lost to time. It's not the legend the main saga is, where people know the main players. They died mostly unknown.

The reason I heard is that the whole movie is the opening crawl (for A New Hope).

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The reason I heard is that the whole movie is the opening crawl (for A New Hope).

I am really looking forward to watching this back to back with ANH.
    Should make for a good day.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Ion Torpedos/Cannons and Ion Weaponry in general has always been a thing in Star Wars. They don't go through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley, though. What we saw was the end result of that Star Destroyer taking tons of hits, losing their shields, and then taking a well placed Ion hit.

The upside to that kind of weaponry is that it does chew through shields faster and if you hit an unshielded target then a well placed hit could mess up any of their electronic systems. The downside is that they do close to zero actual physical damage to the target, at least not like lasers. So they are pretty useless when fighting TIEs or in small fighter engagements in general.

I don't think we saw it in the past because the Rebellion has almost always been either involved in fighter engagements or focused on doing actual damage to things like the Death Star.

The ion cannon in Empire disables a SD in two shots.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that. More proof that Ion stuff has been around in SW from the beginning.

I mean that was a Planetary Defense Ion Cannon. Much bigger, much stronger, and much too intense to fit on a ship, which explains why we don't see something on that level in the other space battles.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Star Destroyers make sense in a "We're going to come directly at you fucking your shit up" kind of way. It's a configuration that lets the ship put all guns on a target in front of it at once. It essentially allows for a nose first broadside. This also means it has a very obvious weakness. Get behind a Star Destroyer and all it can do is desperately try and turn. Of course this is pretty much ignored.

Which is presumably part of why most (if not all?) Star Destroyers carry a complement of fighters.

Also I'm guessing they probably didn't have DARPA on speed dial when designing a lot of this stuff back in the 70's, so some of this "that doesn't really work for reason X" is possibly more thought (decades of it!) than was initially added.

It's a big imposing wedge of military might that fucks most shit up.

Also I totally abused the shit out of their field of fire by parking a fighter right at the engines at least once on an X-Wing mission. It takes a LOT of canon fire to put one of those down, but I did it all the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Well I mean, that's assuming that all of a Star Destroyer's guns are in fixed positions and can't, y'know, swivel.

Which is a dumb thing to assume.

edited January 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well I mean, that's assuming that all of a Star Destroyer's guns are in fixed positions and can't, y'know, swivel.

They can and do swivel.

But since its a wedge, in order for most of the guns to fire right behind the ship, they would have to literally shoot through its own hull.

ObiFett on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to go do something Star Warsy on my computer now, because I need my fix again. Gotta get that shit back in my veins.

Force Awakens didn't spark this in me (I liked it, but it was just a movie I liked), but in the time since I watched Rogue One, I have re-installed Knights of the Old Republic and Lego Star Wars, looked into (and now entirely caught up on) Rebels, and started reading through the Thrawn trilogy again.

I started playing TIE Fighter and X-Wing again.

I still don't understand why they haven't released a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. There's already a lack of any good space fighting sims plus the resurgence of Star Wars means they would make all the money

Forar wrote: »

Which is presumably part of why most (if not all?) Star Destroyers carry a complement of fighters.

Also I'm guessing they probably didn't have DARPA on speed dial when designing a lot of this stuff back in the 70's, so some of this "that doesn't really work for reason X" is possibly more thought (decades of it!) than was initially added.

It's a big imposing wedge of military might that fucks most shit up.

Also I totally abused the shit out of their field of fire by parking a fighter right at the engines at least once on an X-Wing mission. It takes a LOT of canon fire to put one of those down, but I did it all the same.

Yeah that's definitely one way to do that. I think they fixed it in later games by making it so that the engines do damage to your ship. So you have to be far enough away that the little cannon on the of the bridge can hit you or something.
    Don't know why they didn't stick a couple of cannons on the rear in the first place.

I still don't understand why they haven't released a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. There's already a lack of any good space fighting sims plus the resurgence of Star Wars means they would make all the money

They would. Most I have heard is that there are some indie devs porting over X-Wing and TIE Fighter to the Unity engine. But that will be C&D'd before it gets released, even if it's free and an engine update.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

No, actually it assumes that they can swivel.

With a wedge shape, the guns on each flank can swivel to face forward, allowing all batteries to concentrate fire to forward.

uakh8tlzom82.png

• armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular

We can't scrutinize the old testament, only this new stuff.

One disables the shields, the other disables the whole vessel.

The one in Empire was on the scale of a planetary defense system.

Its like criticizing that shields don't work the same in R1 because Scariff had a shield that couldn't be destroyed like Wedge's shield in ANH.