As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rogue One] A Spoiler Filled Thread

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, at some point we either call it a plot hole or accept we didn't see the full picture.

I'm not sure a moment of one bridge officer shouting "It's taken enough of a pounding, the shields are down but we'll be chewing on that armor for hours, send in the Y-Wings with their Ion Torpedoes to disable their systems!" would've enhanced my experience.

I just mentally chalked up 'this battle has been going a while, clearly the shields have been roughed up, yay Y-Wings doing something useful!'

I can't say it isn't a plot hole, that's just how I perceived the whole thing playing out even if we didn't see it in particular detail.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I find it unrealistic that the most modern battleship of the era would be disabled by one torpedo from a outdated plane.

That's just silly.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    I find it unrealistic that the most modern battleship of the era would be disabled by one torpedo from a outdated plane.

That's just silly.

I see what you did there ... :D

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

That's just silly.

The Death Star was an inside job! What is the Emperor really hiding?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    They explicitly show the X-Wings taking out the Star Destroyer's shield generators before the Y-Wings do their torpedo run. One of the X-Wings flies through the massive hole it blows in the generator.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I still don't understand why they haven't released a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. There's already a lack of any good space fighting sims plus the resurgence of Star Wars means they would make all the money

I think because PC gamers stopped buying joysticks decades ago. Gamepads have recently come into style, but it's a little limiting. Even so, it seems like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen have been enough to prompt Thrustmaster and Saitek (now Logitech) to launch some new products, so that's something.

That said, I've always felt like part of the reason for no X-Wing games was that it's so easy to run into continuity problems with Star Wars. X-Wing covered the original trilogy, and TIE Fighter dabbled in the EU back around when the Zahn trilogy came out, but now we have new movies coming out and every single one has new ships and a new environment; it's not easy for a video game to slot itself in. You have fictional universes designed to tell their stories, like Star Wars, and ones that are there to act as a backdrop, like Warhammer 40K, and it's naturally going to be easier to design games that fit in the latter.

The prequel era is probably the most fertile ground for more games. There aren't any new ships coming out, and you know what to write around. But it's not what the audience wants.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

They would. Most I have heard is that there are some indie devs porting over X-Wing and TIE Fighter to the Unity engine. But that will be C&D'd before it gets released, even if it's free and an engine update.

It requires the original game to work so they're hoping to get by on the technicality that the port is a mod.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    The prequel era is probably the most fertile ground for more games. There aren't any new ships coming out, and you know what to write around. But it's not what the audience wants.

There's a sizeable chunk of the audience that would be happy to get an X-Wing style re-release of Episode I Racer.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

There's a sizeable chunk of the audience that would be happy to get an X-Wing style re-release of Episode I Racer.

Episode 1 Racer is the best thing to come out of the prequels.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I loved the arcade version too, though it annoyed me as a kid that every cabinet had Anakin's pod when Sebulba's looked so much cooler

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I bet most people don't even know how many, or what color, of dice a Star Destroyer chucks from it's side batteries, let alone the possible upgrades that ion cannons can sport.

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    If we're going to complain about the space pushing thing, can we complain about the fact the Resistance has EMP missiles that can get through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley?

Where did these come from? Why have they never been used before or since? Why didn't they bring enough to disable both Star Destroyers in the R1 battle? Why didn't Leia fire some EMP missiles at Vader's SD in the beginning of ANH, let his disable ship drift and crash on Tatooine, and fly off with the Death Star plans after ridding the galaxy of the Sith Emperor's right hand?

Why is the Rebellion scared of the Empire at all if they have unstoppable single-shot kill-missiles for the Empire's greatest weapon pre-Death-Star? I've said it before and I'll say it again, R1 looks like it's about a desperate Empire about to be overrun by an overly-powerful Rebellion, not the other way around.

The Imperial forces were just caught with their pants down. Rebels pop-up from out of nowhere and start shooting, and so they have the initiative in the fighting because it's always advantageous to be the attacker.

This really doesn't last, though. After the initial squads of Stormtroopers are gunned down & the rebel Starfighters deliver their alpha strike, the rebels very quickly start losing momentum against a superior force and their precious equipment & personnel get chipped away. Rogue One wasn't making it off of that planet, Death Star or not.

The Rebels almost lost everything. They were a hair's breadth away from outright having the data retaken by Vader, which would've meant that all of those assets going to waste. That probably would've been the end of the Rebellion right then and there.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You've got to remember that the Empire's whole military strategy is volume. Yes, one Star Destroyer has a massive vulnerability in the fact that most or all of its big guns are pointed in the same direction. You know what, though? In the average engagement with Imperial ships, if you're comfortably nestled in the quiet zone behind one Star Destroyer, its four or five buddies who are not pointed in that direction have a clear line of fire on you.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Okay the last (and really only) Star Wars game I played was the N64 one, Shadows of the Empire. That friggin game blew my mind. Now that you've got my blood feeling Star Warsy, can anyone recommend a good Star Wars game along the same lines? I want cool story, and good music.

Edit: I have a mediocre desktop PC with a 3 year old mid range graphics card that can run World of Warcraft half-decently at medium settings. I have a PS4 controller if that matters.

This on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    This wrote: »
    Okay the last (and really only) Star Wars game I played was the N64 one, Shadows of the Empire. That friggin game blew my mind. Now that you've got my blood feeling Star Warsy, can anyone recommend a good Star Wars game along the same lines? I want cool story, and good music.

Edit: I have a mediocre desktop PC with a 3 year old mid range graphics card that can run World of Warcraft half-decently at medium settings. I have a PS4 controller if that matters.

Have you tried The Old Republic? It's a "free" to play mmo, so that part isn't great, but the stories, music, feel are most assuredly great.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

2. Order 66

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWK57eJEE6g

3. Ian McDiarmid chewing scenery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESOrF_u1hg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I saw the movie this afternoon. I'm annoyed by that space ramming thing.

Not because naval ramming isn't a thing. It is. It even was in the era of cruisers and battleships from which Star Wars borrows.

But amid what was a very cool looking space battle--better than anything in The Force Awakens I think--it was really dumb, because as follows:

1) The ramming ship should've "sank" immediately, if not exploded in a fireball. If you're a small ship ramming a bigger one, you better have a suicide wish. If you wanted to live, tough shit, you shouldn't have rammed a ship ten times your length and a hundred times your mass. As in the World Wars, ramming in this context makes more sense as an act of desperation combined with a tactical cost-benefit decision: damaging, if not destroying, a Imperial ship of the line is worth a lot more than your shitty suicide ram ship. Imagine if the A-Wing that smashed into the Executor did that, and then the pilot popped out and went, "Woohwee! Now that's ship ramming!" over the charred corpses of all the bridge crew.

2) After ramming the vastly larger ship, and all the damage that should've entailed, the ram ship is somehow able to summon several times more total thrust output. That would've been more useful in the actual ramming to deliver a crippling blow to a more valuable ship, but whatever, I guess that would've scratched your precious ram ship.

3) Using this miraculous thrust, the much smaller ram ship somehow pushes the much, much larger destroyer into another destroyer--which immediately splinters into a million pieces. Because the ram ship plowing into a much more massive warship scratched the paint, but one destroyer very slowly striking an equally massive destroyer immediately destroys both of them. This is not helped by the fact that we already saw two ships of a very similar class crash into each other at equal, or greater speed, in The Empire Strikes Back. What did they do? Their crews shouted a bunch, they crunched together--and made a very loud, satisfying sound--and the crew bounce around inside while alarms went off, then probably shouted some more.

It was a very dumb thing, I think. It stood out more because, honestly, the space battle (and air battle) was extremely visually impressive nonetheless.

Also, Darth Vader making puns is a much less imposing Darth Vader.

If we're going to complain about the space pushing thing, can we complain about the fact the Resistance has EMP missiles that can get through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley?

Where did these come from? Why have they never been used before or since? Why didn't they bring enough to disable both Star Destroyers in the R1 battle? Why didn't Leia fire some EMP missiles at Vader's SD in the beginning of ANH, let his disable ship drift and crash on Tatooine, and fly off with the Death Star plans after ridding the galaxy of the Sith Emperor's right hand?

Why is the Rebellion scared of the Empire at all if they have unstoppable single-shot kill-missiles for the Empire's greatest weapon pre-Death-Star? I've said it before and I'll say it again, R1 looks like it's about a desperate Empire about to be overrun by an overly-powerful Rebellion, not the other way around.

Ion Torpedos/Cannons and Ion Weaponry in general has always been a thing in Star Wars. They don't go through shields and instantly knock out an entire Star Destroyer in a single volley, though. What we saw was the end result of that Star Destroyer taking tons of hits, losing their shields, and then taking a well placed Ion hit.

The upside to that kind of weaponry is that it does chew through shields faster and if you hit an unshielded target then a well placed hit could mess up any of their electronic systems. The downside is that they do close to zero actual physical damage to the target, at least not like lasers. So they are pretty useless when fighting TIEs or in small fighter engagements in general.

I don't think we saw it in the past because the Rebellion has almost always been either involved in fighter engagements or focused on doing actual damage to things like the Death Star.

The ion cannon in Empire disables a SD in two shots.

We can't scrutinize the old testament, only this new stuff.

One disables the shields, the other disables the whole vessel.

It was also a lot more powerful than those torpedos. The torpedos needed the shields to be down, thanks to the X-Wings, before they could disable the Star Destroyer.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Have you tried The Old Republic? It's a "free" to play mmo, so that part isn't great, but the stories, music, feel are most assuredly great.

Alternatively, Knights of the Old Republic is a console RPG that you should be able to run easily on your machine. It's 10 bucks on Steam or GOG. Has a good story, graphics kind of show their age, but there are HD mods available.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Star Destroyer looks like it does because it's supposed to look giant and intimidating when it shows up in the first seconds of the first movie. It's a giant threatening aggressive shape that just keeps growing in size as it looms over the picture, establishing instantly to the audience the relative positions of the two sides we literally just met.

Like most of Star Wars' design, it's there to quickly convey and reinforce simple ideas

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    see317 wrote: »

Alternatively, Knights of the Old Republic is a console RPG that you should be able to run easily on your machine. It's 10 bucks on Steam or GOG. Has a good story, graphics kind of show their age, but there are HD mods available.

Closer to Shadow is the Dark Forces series, specifically Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy

Kadoken on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Republic Commando says hi

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

The books are meant to be enjoyable, too.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

So bummed that game never got a sequel. Not even a spiritual one. The gameplay is just so fun but there's nothing like it out there.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Republic Commando was great, except for the sections with infinitely respawning enemies, and several weapons that were about as powerful as a spitball fired at a half hearted speed.

At least, until I became an adherent and devotee of the Church Of The Melee Attack.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

So bummed that game never got a sequel. Not even a spiritual one. The gameplay is just so fun but there's nothing like it out there.
    Republic Commando is one of the very few games that a lot of people love, including people whose tastes aren't very different from mine, yet I never really enjoyed it all that much. I didn't hate it, but it never felt much fun while I was playing it. (I expect that some of this is down to me not particularly liking the prequel aesthetics, mind you. If it had been Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters, I might've been into it more.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

Republic Commando is one of the very few games that a lot of people love, including people whose tastes aren't very different from mine, yet I never really enjoyed it all that much. I didn't hate it, but it never felt much fun while I was playing it. (I expect that some of this is down to me not particularly liking the prequel aesthetics, mind you. If it had been Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters, I might've been into it more.)

I loved it the first time

Every attempt after that has been kinda nightmare though.

tbh what it really feels like to me as is an AI squadmate version of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

They start enjoyable, but rapidly descend into a 'Mandorlorians are the best things ever, jedi's are absolute scum fuck you' fanwank.

To the point that even Jedi are straight up 'fuck you jedi order, i'm now Mandorlorian for life!' once they meet one.

The best bit is the author Karen Traviss throwing a hilarious rage-quit from Star Wars when the Clone Wars episodes with Mando's came out, and they weren't exactly like the special mary-sue snowflakes she wrote them as.

GaryO on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    GaryO wrote: »

They start enjoyable, but rapidly descend into a 'Mandorlorians are the best things ever, jedi's are absolute scum fuck you' fanwank.

To the point that even Jedi are straight up 'fuck you jedi order, i'm now Mandorlorian for life!' once they meet one.

The best bit is the author Karen Traviss throwing a hilarious rage-quit from Star Wars when the Clone Wars episodes with Mando's came out, and they weren't exactly like the special mary-sue snowflakes she wrote them as.

Haven't read the series myself, as far as I can tell it starts degrading about half way through before going off the deep end. Traviss' opinion on the Jedi is insane, it's like she can't tell them apart from the Sith - and the fact she refused to watch the movies.

The Mandalorians on TCW were a pretty cool addition to the franchise, too.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Karen Traviss was...an unfortunate pick for books that were
    1. Not Only about mandos
    2. Part of a wider series with other writers
    3. Features jedi
    I'm sure legacy of the force would have been much better without her contributions.

Also on the disabled star destroyer.
    I'm pretty sure they werection ion bombs used, which are significantly more powered than torpedoes or the cannon.

And for imp stars be being under protected, they are supposed to be accompanied by numerous smaller ships. It just seems that the only imperial capital ships movies want to show are star destroyers though

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    When a Star Destroyer has initiative (see Vader) they are fearsome. When ambushed prior to scrambling fighters, they are vulnerable. Seems fine. Dropping from hyperspace into immediate attack is just THAT good.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, it's worth pointing out that the rebel fleet, which consisted of quite a number of ships, nearly lost to just two Star Destroyers, and were completely routed when a third showed up. Like, even if they hadn't been planning to flee once they got the plans, most of their ships were disabled or destroyed by that point. If there had just been four Destroyers present the Rebels would have been boned. They only did as well as they did because they initially had a numerical advantage in space.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Also a Star Destroyer holds up much better after numerous long distance drives compared to the DX plastic.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    1. Not Only about mandos
    3. Features jedi
    I'm sure legacy of the force would have been much better without her contributions.

I'm pretty sure they werection ion bombs used, which are significantly more powered than torpedoes or the cannon.

And for imp stars be being under protected, they are supposed to be accompanied by numerous smaller ships. It just seems that the only imperial capital ships movies want to show are star destroyers though

erection ion bombs

• Options
    1. Not Only about mandos
    3. Features jedi

erection ion bombs

Talk about a space pickle, mirite?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    1. Not Only about mandos
    3. Features jedi

erection ion bombs

How do you even have an autocorrect to erection ion bomb in the first place

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    1. Not Only about mandos
    3. Features jedi

erection ion bombs

... an extremely mangled typing of 'electron'?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    1. Not Only about mandos
    3. Features jedi

erection ion bombs

Who said anything about it being an autocorrect?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Erections for all
    Ion bombs for some

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    The Star Destroyer looks like it does because it's supposed to look giant and intimidating when it shows up in the first seconds of the first movie. It's a giant threatening aggressive shape that just keeps growing in size as it looms over the picture, establishing instantly to the audience the relative positions of the two sides we literally just met.

Like most of Star Wars' design, it's there to quickly convey and reinforce simple ideas

And honestly the design is not terrible most of its weapons are mounted on the wedge edges so its broad sides have huge coverage. Their main vulnerability is if they are alone and things are right directly underneath them. If you let another capital ship get into your blind spot and that close to you chances are you have more problems than the shape of your ship.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png