As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WAIT

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    gunadic wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    You are all making fun of a measure that was put in place to help blind people cross the road.

Other cities have similar systems... but I've yet to run into one that gabs nearly as much as San Antonio's.
    This has been my experience as well. I am pretty sure Seattle has a similar system and nobody has ever mentioned it in relation to PAX West. It's just part of the shared experience of San Antonio that we now all know about a more talkative version of the system.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    You are all making fun of a measure that was put in place to help blind people cross the road.

Other cities have similar systems... but I've yet to run into one that gabs nearly as much as San Antonio's.
    This has been my experience as well. I am pretty sure Seattle has a similar system and nobody has ever mentioned it in relation to PAX West. It's just part of the shared experience of San Antonio that we now all know about a more talkative version of the system.

Most of the lights in Seattle don't even have buttons to press let alone voices when the lights change.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2017
    zerzhul wrote: »

Most of the lights in Seattle don't even have buttons to press let alone voices when the lights change.
    Huh, I thought I remembered when you push a button in Seattle it tells you to wait, and then uses a series of ticks or chirps to indicate when it's safe to cross. Anyhow, it's not like there's a problem with either system, one is just more vocal than the other and it's a very noticeable part of the city.

zerzhul on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I think it's more that by the end of the con everyone is repeating it together as they wait to cross the road

That and it's sort of a metaphor for the lines at PAX... sometimes it feels like the main thing you do is get in a line and WAIT

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    check south side of house
    xrbY0fM.jpg
    @cB557

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    xrbY0fM.jpg
    look through window
    @wandering

xrbY0fM.jpg
    look through window
    aJhMVkA.jpg
    @cB557

it's ajar but also apparently closed so I guess maybe it wants me to open it the rest of the way?
    open window

it's ajar but also apparently closed so I guess maybe it wants me to open it the rest of the way?
    open window
    R0VKHdz.png

• SqueakelSqueakel Registered User regular
    WAIT.

Thresh, Alistar, and Janna supporting is best!
    open window
    R0VKHdz.png
    inspect self
    (or whatever the parser will understand as me trying to check my inventory if that's a thing in this)

open window
    R0VKHdz.png
    inspect self
    (or whatever the parser will understand as me trying to check my inventory if that's a thing in this)
    tgteO7R.png

enter through window

enter through window

>enter
    Kitchen
    You are in the kitchen of the white house. A table seems to have been used recently for the preparation of food. A passage leads to the west and a dark staircase can be seen leading upward. To the east is a small window which is open.
    On the table is an elongated brown sack, smelling of hot peppers.
    A bottle is sitting on the table.
    The glass bottle contains:
    A quantity of water

whoops I just kinda figured this was an abandoned house I was breaking into
    exit

exit
    >exit
    Behind House
    You are behind the white house. In one corner of the house there is a small window which is open.

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    exit

In a few days this "white house" may as well be abandoned. :razz:

khd33hubozxv.png
    exit
    >exit
    Behind House
    You are behind the white house. In one corner of the house there is a small window which is open.
    west

exit
    >exit
    Behind House
    west
    (west actually takes you back inside the house - here I'll give you a map since movement in this portion of the game is way too confusing)

pTdpCoa.jpg

(north goes to the north of house, south to the south of house, east to the forest)

(Also I just want to say, I've seen a few people play this game, and never once have I seen someone back out of the house because they realized someone might be living in it. Your non-psychotic, non-antisocial behavior inspires yet disgusts me.)

I'm almost certain breaking into the house is going to be necessary to progress eventually, especially seeing as there doesn't appear to be any way in on that map other than through the window, but I figure I'll explore my other options first just in case.
    east

• bird_magnetbird_magnet Knoxville, TNRegistered User new member
    Wait.

signature.png
    edited January 2017
    I'm almost certain breaking into the house is going to be necessary to progress eventually, especially seeing as there doesn't appear to be any way in on that map other than through the window, but I figure I'll explore my other options first just in case.
    east
    >east
    Clearing
    You are in a small clearing in a well marked forest path that extends to the east and west.

Wait.
    >wait
    Time passes...

wandering on
    east

east
    >east
    Canyon View
    You are at the top of the Great Canyon on its west wall. From here there is a marvelous view of the canyon and parts of the Frigid River upstream. Across the canyon, the walls of the White Cliffs join the mighty ramparts of the Flathead Mountains to the east. Following the Canyon upstream to the north, Aragain Falls may be seen, complete with rainbow. The mighty Frigid River flows out from a great dark cavern. To the west and south can be seen an immense forest, stretching for miles around. A path leads northwest. It is possible to climb down into the canyon from here.

HdxoBBV.jpg?1

Hm. I think I'll try and search the areas around the house first before going further out. What'll get me to forest(3)? Southwest?

Hm. I think I'll try and search the areas around the house first before going further out. What'll get me to forest(3)? Southwest?
    (West actually! - on the map the initial direction is what counts.)

>west
    Forest
    This is a dimly lit forest, with large trees all around.

(And here's where I'm not sure if I should respect the original intention of the game, which I think is to make you feel lost in the forest, or just give you a map.)

(Well up to you - here's a map: http://i.imgur.com/XE1m5QF.jpg)

I think I'll try doing it blind first.
    west

I think I'll try doing it blind first.
    west
    >west
    Forest
    This is a forest, with trees in all directions. To the east, there appears to be sunlight.

west

west
    >w
    You would need a machete to go further west.

north

north
    >n
    Clearing
    You are in a clearing, with a forest surrounding you on all sides. A path leads south.
    On the ground is a pile of leaves.

jump into pile of leaves

edited January 2017
    jump into pile of leaves
    >jump into pile of leaves
    Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

wandering on
    Aha, I didn't think that'd actually work!
    Anyway. Well, "forest surrounding you on all sides" sounds like the path I came in on is the only way on or off this tile, but won't hurt to check, probably.
    west
    Oh, also, old games like this usually had the sorta, start of the story in the instruction manual, didn't they? Does this game have that or is not know where you are or what you're doing intended?

Aha, I didn't think that'd actually work!
    Anyway. Well, "forest surrounding you on all sides" sounds like the path I came in on is the only way on or off this tile, but won't hurt to check, probably.
    west
    Oh, also, old games like this usually had the sorta, start of the story in the instruction manual, didn't they? Does this game have that or is not know where you are or what you're doing intended?
    (Well, I think the first mainframe version of the game was very much 'so hey here's this game that you can play if you want, have fun!'. But the home computer versions came with manuals, and they let you know that you are a dashing adventurer and you are hunting for treasure in a mostly abandoned empire. That's, uh, pretty much the extent of the plot! Later editions of the game also came with a cutesy 'textbook' about the history of the empire. Here you go: https://www.thezorklibrary.com/zork1/zork1.pdf)

(Also, it looks like you can go west, but before you do: Hey! Listen! The pile of leaves is actually important. Only letting you know since you would've discovered that if you jumped on them in real life.)

Ah, thanks.
    examine leaves

Ah, thanks.
    examine leaves
    >examine leaves
    There's nothing special about the pile of leaves.

uh
    search leaves?

uh
    search leaves?
    >search leaves
    You find nothing unusual

(Since I think that shoulda worked imma give it to you)

>move leaves
    In disturbing the pile of leaves, a grating is revealed.

This discussion has been closed.