As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dracil wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    Hori branded screen protectors are now on Amazon. The only question right now is premium vs regular. Premium seems thicker? And they say it's "scratch-proof" but I dunno if it'll make it harder to use the touchscreen/interfere with docking.

The premium one is probably tempered glass. It won't interfere with touchscreen functionality because the switch screen is capacitive.

It says it's a film, I really hope there's a tempered glass one. I've done films before and never liked what they do to the screen/feel of the screen. I've had tempered glass on my phone for 2 years and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Screen-Protector-Orzly/dp/B01N9RG3XS
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    By the time I finally pick up a Switch, it'll have Mario, Zelda (still undecided on Switch or WiiU...) and holyshitfuckyes Fire Emblem Warriors! That's super exciting!

That ProJared video with Reggie was pretty good, seemed like they were having fun.

The whole 'say it to my face' thing was great. Reggie handled it pretty well. Though the guy couldn't actually look Reggie in the eye as he threw not one but two games under the bus.

Well, Phantom Hourglass (also Spirit Tracks!) is pretty bad. Other M aint so great too... I wouldn't look him in the face either, though. He would sense my fear and crush me with those ginormous hands! Jared redeemed himself in Reggie's eyes by listing the 40 billion 3DSes he owns.

I might be in the minority of people who genuinely like Reggie despite the fact that he has to always be a positive corporate mouthpiece, and would hate for him to be disappointed in me. I couldn't do it either.

I like Reggie but I also fully understand that "Reggie" is not a person but is a character and a literal nintendo mouthpiece who has no free will of his own.

Hmm, this is some random brand that has like no reviews on any of their products. I feel like this is something I'd wait on reviews before purchasing.

Did a little digging.

Orzly is actually a pretty well respected UK brand with a decent Amazon presence.

The difference is that some products list "OrzlyStore" as the manufacturer rather than "Orzly", which I suspect is just a listing error as all products under either name show as being sold by the same outlet, "G-HUB USA".

Donnicton on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I liked the musou where you could unlock the Ninja Gaiden characters and I got to run around as Rachel and slaughter the heck out of thousands of mooks. Also there was a dragon or something and some boring Chinese dudes.

Before that I liked the Gundam one.

I am not well versed in the genre. :)

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo's online service will be the first one I don't actually subscribe to

Between them offloading social functionality to my fucking phone, and them cycling out "free" games, there is zero value added to their service beyond "Play games online"

Everyone seems to be ignoring that they announced exclusive deals as well, which regardless of how you feel about them is a value-add.

I mean consider this: what if the service is $30 a year, and one of the deals you get is that the SNES game of the month is always 80% off to keep? If you buy every SNES game, that's $24 a year, meaning it'd be equivalent to the service costing $54 a year and you get a game a month free. With the benefit of being able to save a couple bucks if you don't like the game or already purchased it earlier.

Pie in the sky, probably. I do think that would be a good way to set it up if they are dead set on the monthly rental idea.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo's online service will be the first one I don't actually subscribe to

Between them offloading social functionality to my fucking phone, and them cycling out "free" games, there is zero value added to their service beyond "Play games online"

Everyone seems to be ignoring that they announced exclusive deals as well, which regardless of how you feel about them is a value-add.

I mean consider this: what if the service is $30 a year, and one of the deals you get is that the SNES game of the month is always 80% off to keep? If you buy every SNES game, that's $24 a year, meaning it'd be equivalent to the service costing $54 a year and you get a game a month free. With the benefit of being able to save a couple bucks if you don't like the game or already purchased it earlier.

Pie in the sky, probably. I do think that would be a good way to set it up if they are dead set on the monthly rental idea.

Nintendo hasn't done themselves any favors by not talking about their subscription service in more detail. When they're so vague you can't blame people for assuming the worst. We're two months away from launch - what exactly are they waiting for?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --

Nintendo hasn't done themselves any favors by not talking about their subscription service in more detail. When they're so vague you can't blame people for assuming the worst. We're two months away from launch - what exactly are they waiting for?

But the paid service isn't two months away from launch. Their subscription service isn't launching with the system.

I'm also not blaming anyone for assuming the worst. You'll note I said it's very much overly hopeful, and of course not everyone will see them as any sort of big win for the service. It feels counterproductive to pay for something just to get an unknown discount on an unknown thing - not really a discount if you're already paying. That's why people aren't exactly thrilled with My Nintendo, spending currency on discounts.

But in every criticism I've seen of the service I have never seen anyone consider the deals as part of the proposition, and I see no reason to leave that out of the equation. Actually the more I think about it, offering a discount on the current game of the month is a really consistent and easy way to make sure they have a deal every month. Short of like, a flat 10% off all first party games or something.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I think it's obvious Nintendo plans on courting the loyal 'day 1' fanbase to be the guinea pigs for their new rollouts and then to push everything for holiday of '17 with deals and bundles.

Launching without details of their online service is piss poor relations. This isn't 'early access' shit here, I want to know what I am getting with this console and a feature that possibly has the most impact on my playing experience isn't even detailed for launch but they still want to ask for my money.

:(

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    That has been my biggest criticism so far. The price I think is pretty fair, I know I only need one launch game (and we know there's more to come), and a slightly awkward conference isn't a deal-breaker. But the online aspect has not been well-handled. Even if it took up some more time, they should have at least described the basic shape of the thing at the conference and assuaged some fears.

I think the wider public is still relatively excited for the Switch, but look, do a pre-launch details video (I actually feel they will, but that's just me) and try to get some of that clarity from the original marketing into the rest of this stuff so no one need run around like headless chickens. I like everything else about the Switch, but please.

edzepp on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I'm used to Nintendo having bad online and I am also used to paying for my console online services.

They went just far enough to make me grudgingly pay for this. I am not happy about it but it's not outside the realm of begrudgingly OK for me.

Now had games still been locked to systems I might have cancelled my pre-order.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    But yeah, there are an awful lot of musou games on the first year of the switch: DQ heroes, this FE one, the vanilla over that was only announced for Japan, and I think there's another one I'm forgetting

How Musou are DQ Heroes? I don't know anything about them. I know that in their initial reveal they were compared strongly to Warriors games, but I didn't think they were made by Koei Tecmo? In the past SE have made games that ape other franchises, like Final Fantasy Explorers vs. Monster Hunter, but then I hear later that it's not quite a Monster Hunter clone and has a number of significant differences (in this case I hear it's like Crystal Chronicles).

No, DQ Heroes is still Koei Tecmo/Omega Force. It has all the Warriors DNA.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Entaru wrote: »
    I'm used to Nintendo having bad online and I am also used to paying for my console online services.

They went just far enough to make me grudgingly pay for this. I am not happy about it but it's not outside the realm of begrudgingly OK for me.

I won't say I'll pay for it until I know the price. $20 a year, they could probably get me for a long term. $60 a year, doubtful unless the other details are really enticing.

$5 a year for Pokemon Bank gives me some hope. That's the existing precedent for recurring Nintendo charges.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I liked the musou where you could unlock the Ninja Gaiden characters and I got to run around as Rachel and slaughter the heck out of thousands of mooks. Also there was a dragon or something and some boring Chinese dudes.

You couldn't play as Rachel in Musou Stars. I'm pretty sure you couldn't. I only know this as an undying Ninja Gaiden fanboy.

You could play as Ryu Hayabusa, or Kasumi though.

Cantido wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I like ProJared and the interview was really fun to watch.

ProJared is the only reason I figured out Monster Hunter.

It's that or spend 100+ hours reading wiki's and stat numbers from random internet forum posts. You got away lucky.

It's my harshest criticisim of my favorite game series. they need to make better tutorials.

I won't say I'll pay for it until I know the price. $20 a year, they could probably get me for a long term. $60 a year, doubtful unless the other details are really enticing.

$5 a year for Pokemon Bank gives me some hope. That's the existing precedent for recurring Nintendo charges.

They sort of have me over a barrel because as soon as the new mh comes out I'll pay whatever they are asking.

Thinking about it, their online service website is actually fairly clear about what you get with the service on a basic level, but the details need serious fleshing out. That would make the difference.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Huh, so it's not just speech through the phone app but matchmaking and lobbies too?

They sort of have me over a barrel because as soon as the new mh comes out I'll pay whatever they are asking.

I need voice chat in MH, I tried a little online play in MH4 and it just wasn't the same. MH3U with the mic in the game pad was awesome, had some good times with PA people.

I need voice chat in MH, I tried a little online play in MH4 and it just wasn't the same. MH3U with the mic in the game pad was awesome, had some good times with PA people.

We set up a Discord for Generations and it worked well but I would much rather have it be tied to the system itself. This system is a step up from third party Discord by a little bit.

edited January 2017
    Huh, so it's not just speech through the phone app but matchmaking and lobbies too?

We have a few online games coming out before the paid service begins, so basic matchmaking will probably be handled by the games as they have been. The online service site makes a point of separating 'online play' from the app stuff, so I think we're in the clear on basic matchmaking with random players. Making your own lobbies and voice chat, well that seems app-based. Won't defend or comment on that.

edzepp on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Right. Which lends me to believe that the Switch connects to your phone and displays all of this information in the app. So if you're in a lobby in Call of Duty or whatever the app on your phone will show everyone queued up with you and allow you to send friend requests/etc.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »

We have a few online games coming out before the paid service begins, so no, matchmaking will probably be handled by the games as they have been. The online service site makes a point of separating 'online play' from the app stuff, so I think we're in the clear on basic matchmaking. Making your own lobbies and voice chat, well that seems app-based. Won't defend or comment on that.

Reggie quote:
    The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

edzepp had already said it seems that Reggie misspoke.

It's probably how you will literally "make your matches" among friends, but I don't think that's the same as opening up Splatoon and saying "find me a random game to jump into."

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

You couldn't play as Rachel in Musou Stars. I'm pretty sure you couldn't. I only know this as an undying Ninja Gaiden fanboy.

You could play as Ryu Hayabusa, or Kasumi though.

I thought that wasn't out yet? Or they already did the Musou smash bros thing, and there's a new one coming out?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited January 2017

It's probably how you will literally "make your matches" among friends, but I don't think that's the same as opening up Splatoon and saying "find me a random game to jump into."

and whoops I deleted that part from my post up there. Sorry

But yeah, here I think Reggie was confused about terminology and unwittingly made a lot of people very anxious because most of us understand that differently. On the website, there is a clearer separation. Oh my lord, please clarify, Nintendo.

edzepp on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I do wonder what Nintendo's actual goals are for their online service-obviously, something vague like "Every customer with a Switch also has Planet Nintendo" (or whatever they call their online service) but, like, at the same time, Nintendo's whole credo going back a few generations now has been not directly competing with their rivals.

Meaning, much in the way the Wii was off on another vector, quite away from the 360 and the PS3, and the WiiU was entirely too good at being absent from the competition, I expect that Nintendo has zero interest in defining their online service in some manner means it can be slotted into a outsider's state grid in a list with Xbox Live, PS+, Steam, and whatever else has a seat at the table.

Personally, I expect:

1) Whatever form their online service takes, it will very much be a work in progress that will change significantly throughout the year, if not beyond.

2) There is likely to be some boundary between 'free online' and 'paid service online' and that boundary will no doubt be blurry. Certain things will not require a subscription, but then later get folded into the subscription. Until they move it back, to coincide with a momentous launch, things like that. Very likely, even now Nintendo is crunching demographic numbers and user data to figure out some kind of balance theory, of what they cannot pretend to charge for, and what they cannot give away for free.

3) Are Miis dead? Would having the Miiverse (or some likeness thereof) integrated into the online service as an extended metaphor/game decor for using the online service be a very Nintendo thing to do? I wouldn't be surprised.

3) Are Miis dead? Would having the Miiverse (or some likeness thereof) integrated into the online service as an extended metaphor/game decor for using the online service be a very Nintendo thing to do? I wouldn't be surprised.

No, still around:

CzJNXvW.png

They're still part of My Nintendo on the current website too, of course as well as being part of Miitomo on smartphones.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

We have a few online games coming out before the paid service begins, so basic matchmaking will probably be handled by the games as they have been. The online service site makes a point of separating 'online play' from the app stuff, so I think we're in the clear on basic matchmaking with random players. Making your own lobbies and voice chat, well that seems app-based. Won't defend or comment on that.

The paid service starts in the fall.

The online service as a whole will be available earlier. They even said you'll be able to download that app earlier or something, right?

I am very curious about the eshop since there's a lot of digital stuff claiming to be launch games but it sounds like the eshop might not be available at launch.

and whoops I deleted that part from my post up there. Sorry

But yeah, here I think Reggie was confused about terminology and made a lot of people very anxious. On the website, there is a clearer separation. Oh my lord, please clarify, Nintendo.

Ahh ok that makes sense!

edited January 2017
    Miiverse seems to be out. Miis still seem to be there in some capacity (based on a shot or two of the UI), but probably nothing more than an avatar.

What is 'free' in the current online aspect is eShop (obviously), Friends list, sharing screenshots on social media and the Parental Controls app. I think these are reasonable things to not charge for and likely won't change.

edzepp on
    I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons they went with smartphone for this was so that parents could monitor their children's online activity while not sitting right there with them.

We may think it's silly because we're all adults here but they really do care about protecting kids and some of the choices they make towards that might hamper us but might just be worth it if it gives parents more control?

I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons they went with smartphone for this was so that parents could monitor their children's online activity while not sitting right there with them.

We may think it's silly because we're all adults here but they really do care about protecting kids and some of the choices they make towards that might hamper us but might just be worth it if it gives parents more control?

They've already got a parental control app that lets parents restrict playtime and that kinda stuff. I don't see why they couldn't also restrict voice chat and that sort of thing from there. And that's a whole lot better than giving a kid a smart device, which they can do all kinds of crazy stuff with. I don't see how a smartphone lets a parent monitor any better than having voice chat on the switch itself.

I'm also trying to figure out how one is supposed to use a phone to voice chat while holding a switch, especially if i'm mobile and out and about. Balance my phone on my lap? I guess I can't wear headphones for one of the devices?

edited January 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They've already got a parental control app that lets parents restrict playtime and that kinda stuff. I don't see why they couldn't also restrict voice chat and that sort of thing from there. And that's a whole lot better than giving a kid a smart device, which they can do all kinds of crazy stuff with. I don't see how a smartphone lets a parent monitor any better than having voice chat on the switch itself.

I'm also trying to figure out how one is supposed to use a phone to voice chat while holding a switch, especially if i'm mobile and out and about. Balance my phone on my lap? I guess I can't wear headphones for one of the devices?

It's not ideal. I'm not even defending it but I feel like there's some reasoning behind it other than "screw the gamers".

It's inconvenient but if there's a technical reason or a parental one I can at least excuse it a little.

Seidkona on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular

To be fair, the actual online service shit doesn't launch until fall. But yeah, it would definitely be nice to get a better grasp of what's going on before the system's launch.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It's not ideal. I'm not even defending it but I feel like there's some reasoning behind it other than "screw the gamers".

It's inconvenient but if there's a technical reason or a parental one I can at least excuse it a little.

I'm sure there is. But it's probably something like a system level voice chat interface takes up too much horsepower on the system. Not that voice chat should really take up a lot of power. Or Nintendo is actually fueled by mushrooms.

If it's a technical reason I absolutely can't excuse it because this is supposed to be a modern console that is also portable and if the exchange for portability is that the online system is still a decade behind everything else, that's just kind of absurd.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's times like these that I'm really glad I couldn't care less about playing games online.

We have no idea as to the engineering of the system. I mean it's nice to wish that bandwidth and power requirements are different but. . .

If it's technical it's technical.

• WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    They already explained the phone app for chat business, and their explanation makes sense to me. If the device is marketed as allowing you to play games "on the go", then it makes sense to do chat through a phone app, which allows for mobile chat.

Counterpoint: However, it doesn't make sense to not have the OPTION to just use home internet. Despite what Nintendo believed with the gamecube and now with the switch, a lot of us are pasty white cave creatures who never leave the fucking house. I don't even remember what the sun looks like.

Paying for Nintendo's online service doesn't bother me, per se... it's just that:

1. People are already pissed that Nintendo is nickel and diming them with peripherals and add-ons like they kinda always fucking do. And now THIS as well? It's not a bad thing in itself, but it may be the straw that broke the camel's back with Nintendo regaling their consumers with "extras", where "extras" means things that people feel should have been included anyway. Nintendo is basically the only company that applies DLC strategy to their hardware.

2. Nintendo has not made even close to a strong argument for why people should be interested in this service. Maybe it is a good argument if their basis for comparison is "it's better than nothing", but if they expect PS4 and XBONE owners to feel like they really need a Switch in their life, they need to get fucking serious.

3. Their strategy of offering free games temporarily makes them look stingy. They can try all they want to explain that, actually, it's not stingy, if you think about it. But that is not in a thousand years going to work.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's times like these that I'm really glad I couldn't care less about playing games online.

Same here, but Splatoon was loads of fun.

Guess I'll get it at launch and thoroughly scratch that itch before the price hits.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    They already explained the phone app for chat business, and their explanation makes sense to me. If the device is marketed as allowing you to play games "on the go", then it makes sense to do chat through a phone app, which allows for mobile chat.

That part just does not make sense to me. If I am playing games online, even if I am 'on the go', in what universe is having to handle yet another device more convenient then just handling voice chat through the thing that I am already using that already has an internet connection? If I am 'on the go' do I want to be burning up my phone's battery for the sake of video games? Do I want to have to find a way to hold both the switch and my phone when I need to fiddle with the app while I'm walking around?

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The thing that sucks for me is that I tend to play Splatoon is small bursts throughout the year. I don't just binge on it when it's new. I was already using a separate device for voice chat (PS4), so using a phone doesn't bother me. I just want to know what that annual fee is, since it's basically going to be my "Splatoon Tax".

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I think I want, like, some kind of infographic where the Nintendo Switch is like a banquet hall. Put a giant roaring hearth in the background with prominent Switch right on the mantle there.

The dining table has a long red tablecloth, and, over time, kind of like an advent calendar, more dishes are added to the table, and each dish a game that has been released for the Switch. The quality/importance of each game would determine the dish that it is positioned with. Zelda, for instance, could be a huge Christmas turkey, set in the center of the table, being the first 'big' release, and first title of the Switch's life. Has Been Heroes, meanwhile, could be a modest bowl of jello cubes. Over time, new games, new dishes.

(In this presentation, Skyrim upon release would likely be presented as half of a cold pepperoni pizza, wrapped in tinfoil, with a side of hot wings.)

This would serve as a visual representation of the system's overall support, health, and ability to interest new players. Just...look at the table, see what's there...or what isn't.

Linespider5 on
    edited January 2017
    WordLust wrote: »
    3. Their strategy of offering free games temporarily makes them look stingy. They can try all they want to explain that, actually, it's not stingy, if you think about it. But that is not in a thousand years going to work.

I think I found a scenario it could work just above. If the service is $30 a year, and one of the sub discounts you get is 80% off the game of the month, then it's equivalent to paying ~$54 a year with a free game every month, but with the benefit of saving some money if you choose not to buy it.

The other services offer free games for $60 a year, with no option to pay less if you don't want those particular games.

But that is contingent on some very good pricing decisions.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Same here, but Splatoon was loads of fun.

Guess I'll get it at launch and thoroughly scratch that itch before the price hits.

This is my plan too.

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.