As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    That reminds me, I need to play some more The Long Dark sometime. It's been updated a lot since I've last played and I still need to unlock the other areas. It's probably quite a different game right now, I think the UI and some of the mechanics got revamped.

camo_sig2.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Mugen souls Z seems to fix a lot of the issues you have with the first.

Which it's a compile hearts RPG, so naturally the first is a half baked tech demo, and they steadily get better or to at least a point of "It's okay"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    If you liked Qix (and you should, it was awesome) then Fortix and Fortix 2 are both pretty good.

camo_sig2.png
  • GoldenbarqsGoldenbarqs Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    This is my house now:
    B910BA4B21FFD2EA8C1D2C61414CF053690C6FC8
    It's cold out, and I haven't seen another living person for the last 15 days. I've got a rifle, some fishing line and some rabbit snares, so I should be able to eat for a while. I'm wondering if I should:
    a) Stay where I am as long as I can.
    b) Take a trip north-east along the rail tracks. The dam is that way, and further on is the coast.
    c) Take a trip south down the rail tracks. I have no idea what is there, but I think I can get past now.
    d) Avoid the rails, see what I can find out in the wild. I've heard rumours of a prepper with a bunker somewhere...

I remember that cabin. I spent many a night there figuring out how to not die until I felt comfortable enough that I could risk traveling further. I personally ended up heading through the dam, which worked out pretty well for me, except for the parts where I fell of a cliff when I got too tired trying to climb it and where I wasn't paying attention and almost got mauled to death by a wolf in the middle of the night.

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Mafia 3 immediately starts with a Hendrix song. Like, at the title screen.

They paid for this soundtrack, dammit. We're gonna hear it!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Another one off the backlog. This time it was Pankapu!

eh7k7nul.jpg

Pankapu is about a Dreamkeeper who was created by a god of dreams when the dream world has suddenly been invaded by nightmares. You're tasked with fighting off the nightmares and getting the assistance of the dream spirits in order to find out who's behind it and end the threat. However it looks like there might be more to the story than realized, because as you gain powers you also start seeing fragments of memories. So clearly something happened or is happening to have brought this all about.

First things first, this gave me very heavy Ori and the Blind Forest vibes crossed with a bit of Rayman. You play as Pankapu, the mute Dreamkeeper who was just created and given armor plus a sword. You're joined soon after by a dream spider named Chii and a dream spirit named Ohiti. From there you travel to different levels killing nightmares and gathering up mudjits, which are little spirits that don't really do anything. You can explore a bit and find goodies like powerups and health increases, but some of it needs new powers you'll gain playing through.

The levels are kind of small and consist of "segments" I'd say. Each segment has a different kind of platforming trick to learn and get through, then you get another one or a checkpoint. The game is actually pretty generous with checkpoints so even abject failure doesn't set you back more than a minute or two. Which is good because you'll probably die quite a bit until you learn enemy patterns and what trick will get you through a segment. They're not hard platforming, but some sections do want you to think a bit. Even moreso if you're hunting down all the mudijits.

The game's colorful and the music is mellow, so it's pretty relaxing. It's also not long at all unless you're specifically aiming for absolutely every little item in all the levels. Even then it probably wouldn't take much longer, since the spirits especially make noises when you're near them. It's hard to miss it. Pankapu doesn't talk at all and Ohiti likes to mostly whine and cry, but Chii is the sassy voice like Fidget was in Dust. Chii is the one to hear someone say they need to go to some dark cave and quip about how they're doing all the work again. Not really many jokes but definitely a sarcastic character.

One thing to note though. Pankapu is currently Episode 1 with Episode 2 still in development. However, each episode is only about $5 when not on sale. I'd recommend it to anyone who was a fan of Ori or maybe just wants a light little game with some bang for the buck.

Thanks again @Antoshka for the gift!

Oh! One word of advice if you pick it. The dialogue boxes get kind of screwy with a controller and seem to skip ahead a lot. I solved this by tapping the arrow key on my keyboard to advance one box at a time. A small annoyance and nothing to ding the game on, but it's something to be aware of.

Madican on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Finished up Epistory and can echo what others have said: solid gameplay, beautiful papercraft but no one warns you about the feels.

Only complaint is some words could be hidden or overlap between close enemies.

Thanks @destroyah87 for gifitng me it! Really fun and should check it out.

I think I'll finish off Paws next. Sadly it has crashed a few times where I didn't really have any problems with the other Shelter games.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    If you liked Qix (and you should, it was awesome) then Fortix and Fortix 2 are both pretty good.

And insanely cheap, especially during sales. I had a lot of fun with both games a few years ago. They tried passing it off as "reverse tower defense" with Fortix 2 which always seemed like a huge stretch (the Anomaly: Warzone Earth games fit that term much better), but really, it's $1.99 and there's a demo. Chances are if you download the demo and enjoy it, you'll enjoy the full game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Tried Enter the Gungeon again. Died 3 more times on the first level before reaching the boss. Uninstalled it and now I feel bad because it was a gift.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Tried Enter the Gungeon again. Died 3 more times on the first level before reaching the boss. Uninstalled it and now I feel bad because it was a gift.

Don't feel bad. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. You gave it an honest shot.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    Yeah I liked the trailer for Enter the Gungeon more than the actual game. If I hadn't become absolutely infatuated with Assault Android Cactus as my go to Bullet Hell game I might have liked Enter the Gungeon more.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah I liked the trailer for Enter the Gungeon more than the actual game. If I hadn't become absolutely infatuated with Assault Android Cactus as my go to Bullet Hell game I might have liked Enter the Gungeon more.

Funny you should mention AAC as it's the next game I installed to play.

BTW, what are these cards I keep getting in my inventory? I can look at them or turn them into gems? I assume they are currency of some kind to purchase...hats?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »

Funny you should mention AAC as it's the next game I installed to play.

BTW, what are these cards I keep getting in my inventory? I can look at them or turn them into gems? I assume they are currency of some kind to purchase...hats?

For the full explanation see Jragghen's House of Cards post.

The quick version of it is some games have cards that drop during play to the amount of 1/2 the amount needed to craft a badge, so you'll need to trade/buy the rest from other people or hope you received a random booster pack/craft one from gems, Crafting a badge nets you experience to up your Steam Level (main purpose to gain more friend slots and showcase displays on your profile), plus a Steam profile background and emoji based on the game you crafted the badge for. All of these things (except steam levels) can be turned into gems and/or sold on the Community Market place to effectively get free monies.

• UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    header.jpg?t=1466539917

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352520/
    Completed, The Silent Age and it's quite good.
    Been itching for a good Point and click game since Broken Sword and this fits in nicely.
    Not as adventurey as Broken Sword but still a lot of fun.
    the dialog is great and the puzzles never feel too complex or make you backtrack to much.
    Every thing serves a logical purpose for the most part.

Graphics and Music are nice as well.
    The ending isn't a let down i'd be quite happy in recommending it!

UseR2006 on
    "I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love Enter The Gungeon, but I would encourage all those to wait until the beta branch gets pushed to production. It's pushes a ton of quality of life improvements that just make the game feel better. Saving in between floors being my most awaited feature.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    signature.png

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks @UseR2006 for Thomas Was Alone! I've heard great things about it! Can't wait to see what it's about!

hAE54fd.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    After finishing first 2 episodes i can say that I like Batman: Telltale Series... but.

Bruce Wayne is voiced by Troy Baker. I like this dude. But.

Does he really need to show up every second game I play? I have a hard time reconciling to the fact that Bruce Wayne is Rhys from Tales from the Borderlands is Booker DeWitt is Joker from Arkham Origins is Robin from Arkham City is Harvey Dent from also Arkham City is Pagan Min from FC4 is Talion from Shadow of Mordor is Ocelot from Phantom Pain.

Asthariel on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    And then @UseR2006 follows that up with Pankapu, which apparently Madican recommends! Supposedly it's somewhat similar to Ori, which is high praise. So thanks!

FajDssa.png

Stabbity_Style.png
    Asthariel wrote: »
    After finishing first 2 episodes i can say that I like Batman: Telltale Series... but.

Does he really need to show up every second game I play? I have a hard time reconciling to the fact that Bruce Wayne is Rhys from Tales from the Borderlands is Booker DeWitt is Joker from Arkham Origins is Robin from Arkham City is Harvey Dent from also Arkham City is Pagan Min from FC4 is Talion from Shadow of Mordor is Ocelot from Phantom Pain.

I remember years ago when a similar complaint was lodged against Nolan North. :)

I was surprised when I played a little bit of Tales of Vesperia a few years ago and Troy Baker was doing the voice of the main character.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I remember years ago when a similar complaint was lodged against Nolan North. :)

I was surprised when I played a little bit of Tales of Vesperia a few years ago and Troy Baker was doing the voice of the main character.

Playing XCOM 2 kept making me want to play Dragon Age Inquisition since Varric voices Bradford. He shows up here and there.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    People seem to be liking this, but I have no interest in visual novels.

signature.png

And got this free on PS4, where I will probably not play it.

signature.png

Boop.

Been playing some Dishonored, I never played the DLC and wanted to play it before grabbing Dishonored 2 on PS4. It's even more fun than I remembered, and it sure looks a lot nicer compared to the 360 version I played.

Also getting into some Dawn of War 2. Really glad I decided to put DoW1 to the side and just play the second, it is a lot more fun.

I'll need to hunt down some more gems from around 2012 or before, games from then run pretty great and still look great to me.

signature.png

signature.png

Boop.

Been playing some Dishonored, I never played the DLC and wanted to play it before grabbing Dishonored 2 on PS4. It's even more fun than I remembered, and it sure looks a lot nicer compared to the 360 version I played.

Also getting into some Dawn of War 2. Really glad I decided to put DoW1 to the side and just play the second, it is a lot more fun.

I'll need to hunt down some more gems from around 2012 or before, games from then run pretty great and still look great to me.

DoW2 is so good! I really need to play Chaos Rising one of these days.

And also Space Marine. Those games have been my first, and really, only experiences with the Warhammer 40k universe. I don't really have much interest in delving further into that stuff, but I really appreciate it.

Oh jeez! Thanks, @UseR2006 for a whole mess of games! <3

hoMhbfF.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I'm starting to feel this way about Jennifer Hale. Don't get me wrong - I love her and she will always be the perfect femshep, but - like, I get a total disconnect now sometimes when she shows up in a game I'm playing. ... "Femshep? Why do you look like a half-giant Nord barbarian?"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Wow, I won three Steamgifts giveaways from @jclast! Thank you for Geometry Wars 3 and the Space Quest & Police Quest collections!

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular

Kanji from P4. And Jake Muller from RE6.

So many roles.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    He also has a role in most blizzard games. He's the thief follower in D3, and he's Gul'dan in wow. He's also Snow in FFXIII.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Also, Boss Male Voice 1 from Saint's Row 3 and 4, and thus my favorite voice to play with.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @UseR2006 Decided I needed more evil in my life and sent me a code for Overlord, the minion domination simulator! Thank you <3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I'm starting to feel this way about Jennifer Hale. Don't get me wrong - I love her and she will always be the perfect femshep, but - like, I get a total disconnect now sometimes when she shows up in a game I'm playing. ... "Femshep? Why do you look like a half-giant Nord barbarian?"

You misspelled Deionarra. Or alternatively, Dr. Naomi Hunter.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

signature.png

signature.png

Boop.

DoW2 is so good! I really need to play Chaos Rising one of these days.

And also Space Marine. Those games have been my first, and really, only experiences with the Warhammer 40k universe. I don't really have much interest in delving further into that stuff, but I really appreciate it.

I just realised that you can't save mid mission, which is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, so I sadly probably won't be playing it much after all. No ability to rebind keys is also pretty shitty. It's a shame though, cause the gameplay seemed really good.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

I'm literally this when I look up old videos of Kids Next Door.

Femshep, why are you barking orders in a scottish accent.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Steve Blum is of course also one of those ubiquitous voices that show up in almost every second game. His voice being so distinct that it's harder not to spot him when he's voicing a character.

The fun game being spotting him in a role from before he was Spike Spiegel, when you weren't yet conditioned to automatically pick his voice out of a lineup. For example he was a minor voice actor for many of the 90s LucasArts games.

Donnicton on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The thing about VO actors is there really aren't that many. And even fewer you can count on for a quality performance. So you'll end up hearing the same person often. Especially if you commonly play games from one publisher or another.

On the list of problems for games and gamers to have, this is really quite low.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    You could always go the Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice route and just hire one of your animators to become your main character and actor :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFhzVtHwJjA

(They were using her as a placeholder and then decided they really liked her work and are keeping her for the final product)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    3d youtube trailer for XCOM is glorious.

Raiders of the lost wang is a confusing level and it didn't help that the switch I needed to hit to get the first key halfway glitched down into the geometry.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    From the recent Steam Auto-update (you probably have this already if you were in the beta):
    Added XBox 360, Xbox One, and Generic X-Input controller configurator support. This allows all recognized controller types to use the advanced mapping features of the Steam Controller Configurator. Note that because X-Input currently lacks per-controller means of unique identification, all controllers of that type will share personalization and configuration settings. As they share the same inputs, Xbox 360/One/Generic controllers will all see each-others configurations when browsing. Automatic conversion will be attempted when loading configurations from other controller types.

That's . . . pretty spiffy.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Ubisoft sale on Greenman gaming.

Ya know, I just love the urban levels in Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior games. Its just so much more interesting compared to modern shooters.

Modern shooters, I know its just another set of ultranationalist russians to shoot in this strip club.

These old school shooters, it could be aliens, demons, clowns, werewolves, zombie strippers with chainsaws, floating alien head with rocket launchers, luchador with a living chair sewn from the victim's flesh, or maybe actual strippers on stage.

This discussion has been closed.