As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I lost my first "hey, this is going pretty good" colony to a heatwave. Everyone died of heatstroke in their beds. This was like 10 minutes after loading up from a save too. Crushing disappointment. I was all set to make some improvements and then came the heatwave. Then everyone died. My wife laughed.

Had another colony go badly because of a pyromaniac. He started by lighting what the housing unit on fire, at night. Lots of dead burned sleeping people. So no more pyromaniacs ever.

So I started anew. And I currently have the too much food problem. I planted far too many crops. I keep having food spoil because I did the tribal start and I don't have refrigeration yet. Fortunately I have enough food that having large quantities of it spoil isn't a big deal because it's easily replaced. I should probably start over and reign in how large I make my growing zones for food.

Loving the game so far. I'm currently playing it without mods and I wonder if I'm making the game harder by doing so.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There's lots of QoL mods that are pretty essential

In vanilla make your extra food into Pemmican it takes forever to go bad

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There's lots of QoL mods that are pretty essential

In vanilla make your extra food into Pemmican it takes forever to go bad

True, but early game I prefer to just grow strawberries. they can be eaten raw with no negative emotional hit, plus you can make simple meals out of strawberries later when you want to do cooking, plus they grow relatively quickly so a decent sized farm should be able to keep you going for a long time.

Because in early game I have more important shit to be focusing on, than making meals.

Buttcleft on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    fun thing to find out physchic ship crashes can make all your animals go crazy on your

I've got a a neat event that just happened.

I was contacted by an AI that says it has a secret spaceship to evacuate on. Downside is it's across the continent.

Should I spend a season making a boatload of pemmican and go for it? Or is it a horrible trap waiting for me

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    fun thing to find out physchic ship crashes can make all your animals go crazy on your

I've got a a neat event that just happened.

I was contacted by an AI that says it has a secret spaceship to evacuate on. Downside is it's across the continent.

Should I spend a season making a boatload of pemmican and go for it? Or is it a horrible trap waiting for me

It's basically a different end-game.

You can either sit in one place and play normally (well, pre-caravans, I mean), build a ship, and leave

or, you can play more nomadic. Build enough of a base to like, last the winter, grow some more food in the spring, and walk for a season closer to the ship, then repeat as much as you need.

It's basically a "I don't want to research ship building and find/buy/raid enough plasteel to build a ship" option to "end game".

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yep, I'm currently going for that ending since its less boring than just sitting in one place and teching to victory. As a result I'm currently running three colonies simultaneously, which is both kind of frantic and a lot of fun. Story time!

I picked my starting location entirely at random and ended up in Tundra near to the planet's north pole. Average temperature -15C, summer temp never rises above +15C, winter can drop as low as -55C, very few trees, little stone and a growing period of "never". I'd initially looked at the location and thought "No way I could actually survive there, better hit random again", but in the end decided fuck it, worst comes to worst I'll have a fun story of misery, death and cannibalism to tell, and you know how Rimworld/DF players love those. And Tundraville actually did come close to cannibalism for the first two winters, but I just barely averted it both times.

I could have probably just holed up and researched my way into a spaceship, I've got plenty of plasteel from disassembled mechanoids and enough defenses to hold out against pretty much anything at this point (although the 20+ warg manhunter pack was messy), but I decided to go for the new victory condition; travelling to the escape ship on the world map. Which as it turns out is near the south pole, on almost the opposite side of the planet. Initially I planned to put together a mega-caravan, but realised I'd need approximately 100 billion pemmican to make the trip, and a prohibitively huge amount to even make it out of the Tundra and into a nice temperate forest. So my new plan is; launch all the things! It would take me something in the area of a dozen launches at max fuel to even launch one colonist all the way to my destination, and of course I'd have to build at least one pod launcher and pods at each step of the way to do this, and fuel them, so I can't just make the trip in one go.

But it turns out that at maximum fuel I can make it out of the shitty tundra and into boreal forest in one launch, and to a nice temperate forest with a 1/2 year growing period in two. Hence the three bases; my plan is to abandon Tundraville and move everything to the temperate forest as my first "real" base, and prepare for the journey in earnest from there. So my current bases are:
    1. Tundraville, my first base. Pretty much a barren hell-hole, but currently my only source of food until The Fort's food production comes online. Population 5, mostly just those critical to food production at this point, will eventually be stripped bare and abandoned once the fort is up and running.
    2. Airstrip One, which I initially planned to be little more than a temporary launchpad, but has grown to be a bit more than that. The plan was to land, strip-mine any nearby resources, convert the nearby forest into chemfuel and launch everyone onward to the next site. There's a lot more steel, components and wood lying around than I'd expected though, so now there's a semi-permanent team of four "Roughnecks" living there, mining, refining and chopping. No food is grown on-site, its all imported via drop-pod, which isn't awfully efficient but there's so much wood and metal nearby that efficiency doesn't really matter much.
    3. The Fort, which doesn't look much like a fort just yet and is very much a work-in-progress. Population: 4, a good mix of skilled colonists. My plan is for this base to be permanent and be a "military" installation, a fortified fall-back location that I can blast off to if everything goes to hell elsewhere, or send reinforcements in via drop-pod. The area is very hilly, so its going to be dug securely into a mountain, with big fuckoff walls, bristling with turrets and an IED minefield by the time that I'm done. It will have a small farm to keep it self-sufficient, but I want to eventually build a dedicated farm site somewhere with a year-round growing period.

Then once everyone is safely at the base where the weather outside won't actually freeze you to death through your parka I can worry about the next leg of the journey; crossing the desert.

Mr Ray on
    Somoen made a neat Mod Backup Mod that lets you save mod lists and load orders

edited January 2017
    after like 30 tries, one of the exotic goods caravans brought me an AI Persona core!!!

All I need now is about 3000 more steel and I can finally launch and beat my first colony!

I have like 5 drills running on steel veins, processing steel chunks into steel, and am ordering bulk caravans from everyone I know.

Buttcleft on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever had to buy an AI core. In fact, I usually end up selling a few because there's really no need to keep more than one.

This is because, late game, psychic / poison ships seem to be all the rage in my games, and each one has a chance of dropping a core.

Then again, it might be that I just sit on the map so long rather than ever trying to rush out a space ship. I've long had a problem accepting "leave this awesome base that I built" as a win condition. :P

it conflicts with the extended romance options mod I use, so no

why are my people such damn slobs.

guess i need to start designed places so my production rooms aren't super highways for people passing through

Nah, once you start getting busy, you really need a high-priority cleaner.

Though there's a mod that adds door mats if you want to look into that. It doesn't remove dirt but it makes it faster to clean because it's all in one place.

Delmain wrote: »
    Nah, once you start getting busy, you really need a high-priority cleaner.

Though there's a mod that adds door mats if you want to look into that. It doesn't remove dirt but it makes it faster to clean because it's all in one place.

Or just buy a couple people slaves from a pirate trader, and set them to Cleaning 1, Hauling 2, and everything else disabled.

Another option, if you use fluffy's work tab mod, is to make one of your haulers have priority on cleaning for like 3 hours in the evening.

That mod lets you do priority by time if you want.

is it socially acceptable to murder and consume my sheriff

so useless

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular

so useless

not until you harvest his lungs/heart etc. then do what you want with him, just never forget to harvest the goods first.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST

so useless

Its acceptable. its more acceptable to make meals from his flesh and organs, and drop pod them on settlements who've offended you.

Buttcleft wrote: »

so useless

Its acceptable. its more acceptable to make meals from his flesh and organs, and drop pod them on settlements who've offended you.

Psychopath / Cannibalism is the best combination, because you can do all this without mood penalty!

Well, no mood penalty for the colonists you have with these traits. If my current colony is anything to go by, the entire rest of the group ends up with cirrhosis and carcinoma of the liver from massive alcohol abuse.

You know I try to be nice to my colonists. Very few pawns are truly useless; if you can haul or clean then you're not useless, and if not then I've always got room for growers, cooks and crafters. And if you're not good any anything but you at least have a passion for something you're bad at, I'm willing to invest in your potential because I know you'll learn super fast and eventually be a badass at whatever it is that you enjoy doing. I've got two pyromaniacs, a psychically sensitive depressive, a smokeleaf addict with a carcinoma and a guy who will basically only cook and mine. So I never organ harvest, I never send people off on solo expeditions to the north pole with no supplies, and I never send them out to fistfight grizzly bears, I try to make use of everybody regardless of skills or traits.

If I ever had a Sheriff join though.... yeah fuck that. They can go and hunt Thrumbos with a stick.

so useless

Psychopath / Cannibalism is the best combination, because you can do all this without mood penalty!

Well, no mood penalty for the colonists you have with these traits. If my current colony is anything to go by, the entire rest of the group ends up with cirrhosis and carcinoma of the liver from massive alcohol abuse.

Only people in my colony who have cirrhosis and carcinoma are the fucking cats, fucking dopefiend drunkards.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

Sounds like you need to set up a Caravan to trade with Santa.

Probably to dangerous to send just anyone..why, I bet that sheriff is the perfect candidate!

See, characters like that shouldn't even exist. Her childhood disallows her from shooting, melee or social, which are the three things that Sheriffs are actually good at. I.e, she's incapable of doing the things she would have to be able to do to get the job in the first place! Who the fuck decided that a pacifist mute would make a good cop? I'd probably save-scum if someone that utterly useless came along.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    S
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    See, characters like that shouldn't even exist. Her childhood disallows her from shooting, melee or social, which are the three things that Sheriffs are actually good at. I.e, she's incapable of doing the things she would have to be able to do to get the job in the first place! Who the fuck decided that a pacifist mute would make a good cop? I'd probably save-scum if someone that utterly useless came along.

imprison her and then sell her to slavers.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    See, characters like that shouldn't even exist. Her childhood disallows her from shooting, melee or social, which are the three things that Sheriffs are actually good at. I.e, she's incapable of doing the things she would have to be able to do to get the job in the first place! Who the fuck decided that a pacifist mute would make a good cop? I'd probably havest that persons organs then sell them into slavery to buy drugs

fixed that for you

No, my other colonists would get upset if we took her organs or sold her into slavery. She'd probably have an "accident".

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    No, my other colonists would get upset if we took her organs or sold her into slavery. She'd probably have an "accident".

Send her out to hunt a herd of boomalope alone and unarmed.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    If I ever accumulate the steel needed to finish the ship and complete my current colony..I'm going to get that prepare carefully mod and make my next settlement a psycho cannibal paradise in the inhospitable ice sheet.

Ludeon has said that chargen like that is a bug that should be fixed in the next alpha.

I wonder if he is implementing a matrix to choose a profession based on childhood then, or vice versa. Thats how I would do it but its probably more clunky that way

If I ever accumulate the steel needed to finish the ship and complete my current colony..I'm going to get that prepare carefully mod and make my next settlement a psycho cannibal paradise in the inhospitable ice sheet.

I'm telling you, psycho cannibals are the best thing.... and probably will have the easiest time surviving on an ice sheet since any raid, visitor, useless colonist, or dead comrade is both free food and a huge mood boost (+20 for raw cannibalism!).

As I've alluded to previously, however, other colonists who join tend to have a rough time since, even with mods I haven't found a way to separate out the food colonists eat... and thus others get upset from eating human. They also get upset just from someone butchering humans, and massively upset if they butcher a human. This is why all my non-psycho cannibals are suffering from lung and kidney disease. Probably some of my animals too actually.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    There's a mod that creates a special food which is made from human meat. Since it'll be a different item than the standard meals, it won't blend when you merge stacks.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Takel wrote: »
    There's a mod that creates a special food which is made from human meat. Since it'll be a different item than the standard meals, it won't blend when you merge stacks.

food already doesn't merge stacks between different ingredients, it's part of the reason you'll have a ton of stacks of 1-5 meals instead of a few stacks of 10.

the problem that mod is a solving is that you can't make a separate stockpile and restrict access to cannibals only for human-meat meals. There's no way to filter a stockpile on the ingredients that went into the meal

Delmain wrote: »

food already doesn't merge stacks between different ingredients, it's part of the reason you'll have a ton of stacks of 1-5 meals instead of a few stacks of 10.

the problem that mod is a solving is that you can't make a separate stockpile and restrict access to cannibals only for human-meat meals. There's no way to filter a stockpile on the ingredients that went into the meal

there's no real way to force people to eat one thing or another either is there?

I'll need to check but I'm fairly sure that same types of meals will merge in a stack otherwise my piles of fine meals with boar meat, tofu, corn, rice and berries would be impossible to craft.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    How much food do the colonists consume? I went from a huge plethora and now I feel like I'm suddenly low, and I can't figure out why. I'm in a year-round growing zone, but I seemed to have missed a harvest or something?

I gotta move that shit indoors with sunlamps and hydroponics or something.

I'd say around 1.7-2.0 nutrition per day
    Which means 2 Fine Meals which is 0.5 nutrition of raw foods, or about 10 units of food per meal. 20 units of raw food per colonist per day is a good yard stick. Scale appropriately from there.

Don't forget any animals too! They can consume a very large amount of food without you realising it because you don't have a constant reminder how many of them you have in the form of the colonist bar.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I'd say around 1.7-2.0 nutrition per day
    Which means 2 Fine Meals which is 0.5 nutrition of raw foods, or about 10 units of food per meal. 20 units of raw food per colonist per day is a good yard stick. Scale appropriately from there.

Don't forget any animals too! They can consume a very large amount of food without you realising it because you don't have a constant reminder how many of them you have in the form of the colonist bar.
    ...crap, yeah, I'm way underproducing. I have a slew of yorkies and a handful of pigs and huskies. I can't really justify keeping the yorkies, I'll train them up then trade them off. At least the huskies can rescue and haul, and the pigs are good meat.0

also if your colonists are smoking joints that makes them get hungry faster.