As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    I'll need to check but I'm fairly sure that same types of meals will merge in a stack otherwise my piles of fine meals with boar meat, tofu, corn, rice and berries would be impossible to craft.

No, colonists will use all kinds of combos of nutrition to make meals. If you had like one each of corn and rice, they'd grab them and then fill up with beans if they wanted.

It's especially possible if you're using a "make four meals at once" mod since the requirements in one go are higher.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Next colony I want to make a hippie commune where everyone has the philanderer trait and we make all the drugs

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'd say around 1.7-2.0 nutrition per day
    Which means 2 Fine Meals which is 0.5 nutrition of raw foods, or about 10 units of food per meal. 20 units of raw food per colonist per day is a good yard stick. Scale appropriately from there.

Don't forget any animals too! They can consume a very large amount of food without you realising it because you don't have a constant reminder how many of them you have in the form of the colonist bar.
    ...crap, yeah, I'm way underproducing. I have a slew of yorkies and a handful of pigs and huskies. I can't really justify keeping the yorkies, I'll train them up then trade them off. At least the huskies can rescue and haul, and the pigs are good meat.0

In my current colony, I've had a 'yorkies join' event twice. They are the most useless of dogs, and when they join, they join in force. They do fetch a decent price, but I"m not sure it was an actual profit given how much fucking food they ate before I could sell them off.

It's important to note that if you do keep animals, it's very worthwhile to grow haygrass and make kibble, rather than letting them eat your people food. You can restrict them to an area and just have a stockpile where your colonists will drop the kibble, as it doesn't deteriorate. Plus you can make kibble out of any meat, as animals do not get debuffs from eating human or insect meat.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So thats how maneater swarms appear. Someone made then kibble out of people. You monster

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I'll need to check but I'm fairly sure that same types of meals will merge in a stack otherwise my piles of fine meals with boar meat, tofu, corn, rice and berries would be impossible to craft.

No, colonists will use all kinds of combos of nutrition to make meals. If you had like one each of corn and rice, they'd grab them and then fill up with beans if they wanted.

It's especially possible if you're using a "make four meals at once" mod since the requirements in one go are higher.

Instead of running around in circles going yah, nah uh, yah, nuh uh... let's do an experiment.
    A2BA5C8684F8BD8060D2CF68693EAFE59EC5A77C
    Step 1: Make a simple meal using nothing but Elk Meat. Sure, easily done. We have a simple meal with just elk meat as the ingredient.
    4429F2EC82B6DC57B31F750F40E9D9055019EB55
    Step 2: Make a simple meal using nothing but wolf meat. Also easily done. I had this item drop onto the floor onto a new stockpile so it didn't go anywhere.

Step 3: Let's delete one of the stockpiles so that they have to combine the two meals.

2023C93B6381372B4A2916ED8B034B0D2831AC18
    Voila! The haulers dutifully combines the meals blending the ingredients. If one of those had human meat in it, it's going to contaminate the entire stack

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Instead of running around in circles going yah, nah uh, yah, nuh uh... let's do an experiment.
    A2BA5C8684F8BD8060D2CF68693EAFE59EC5A77C
    Step 1: Make a simple meal using nothing but Elk Meat. Sure, easily done. We have a simple meal with just elk meat as the ingredient.
    4429F2EC82B6DC57B31F750F40E9D9055019EB55
    Step 2: Make a simple meal using nothing but wolf meat. Also easily done. I had this item drop onto the floor onto a new stockpile so it didn't go anywhere.

Step 3: Let's delete one of the stockpiles so that they have to combine the two meals.

2023C93B6381372B4A2916ED8B034B0D2831AC18
    Voila! The haulers dutifully combines the meals blending the ingredients. If one of those had human meat in it, it's going to contaminate enhance the entire stack with delicious flavor!

fixt that for you.

oh god a tribal raid of like 20 guys

follwed immediately by a pirate sapper raid

• DacDac Registered User regular
    So I started a new game after my previous one from an old build got wiped. Going ... alright. I randomed into some scrubland, but I have berries, so that's nice.

My old game I had a horrifically ugly mf'er that got into fights with the hunter of the group all the time. I had to build a whole separate cabin for him and restrict areas so that the two never came into contact. Luckily I don't have that problem right now (aside from a sad-sack doc who gets rebuffed by every girl in the place).

Problem now is, uh. Well. See, ten cats decided to make my place their home, and well. Mated.

And now I'm drowning in cats. Someone send help.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    butcher the cats. Cats can't haul, can't really fight...

butcher the cats. Cats can't haul, can't really fight...

All they do is drink up all your booze and eat/smoke all your drugs.

Well, I've never had that problem but I guess you've got plenty of experience with that.

Yorkshire Terriers and Cats... Nope. They may be cute, nuzzle your colonists for a mood bonus but it ain't worth the food for that. We're survivors dammit!

Well, I've never had that problem but I guess you've got plenty of experience with that.

Yorkshire Terriers and Cats... Nope. They may be cute, nuzzle your colonists for a mood bonus but it ain't worth the food for that. We're survivors dammit!

Yep seems like half the goddamn cat herd has Cirrhosis, Carcinomas, or both.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Well. At least I can trade them.

$70 per kitten, wooooo.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OK, I really don't understand power. I have two geothermal generators, and I'm still getting brownouts and my batteries aren't filling.

Also I lost nearly everyone to a pack of wild boar maneaters.

Trained animals are worth good monies.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    OK, I really don't understand power. I have two geothermal generators, and I'm still getting brownouts and my batteries aren't filling.

Each generator generates X amount of power, in your case 3600w/ea. You need to run lines to the one you want to draw power from, as they're not shared across a network as you might expect. They also reduce mood, because they're ugly and loud, which is another thing to account for. HTH.

Edit: Also, environmental factors are important. Batteries are hugely dangerous, don't rely on them.

Double edit: If you must rely on batteries, set up the wiring to charge them and make sure they're housed indoors, preferably in a stone building.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)

My initial thought is that one of your generators is not connected correctly. Two geothermal generators is a massive amount of power. How much electrical stuff do you have? It would take either tons and tons of turrets or like, an entire indoor grow area with hydroponics to use that much power.

Something people don't think about too much but actually creates a massive power sink are lights.
    Do you have a lot of lights all over the place? Like maybe one in every bedroom because you want to be nice to the colonists (hah!)? Each light uses 100Wh without mods. 10 lights will occupy a fuel generator by themselves. Minimise the use of lights to work areas and the dining room. Your colonists can stumble around into their beds.

Also, electric smelters burn a lot of power even when idle. Turn those things off when you don't need them!

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

My initial thought is that one of your generators is not connected correctly. Two geothermal generators is a massive amount of power. How much electrical stuff do you have? It would take either tons and tons of turrets or like, an entire indoor grow area with hydroponics to use that much power.
    Yup. I had taken a shelling and lost some wires at some point. Damned foolish of me to complain without checking all the bits first. :D

I always run two lines out to distant generators in case of artillery or fire.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Started a new colony the other night.

It's my best one so far (just saying this makes me fear I've jinxed it). Got a nice little one way in/out canyon. Mined out a nice kill space and put concrete down so no trees grow in there for cover. It's loooong, so the attackers have no other option but to walk down it, which gives my ppl with rifles plenty of time to prioritise the bastards with molotovs or grenades or launchers. So far there hasn't been an attack that that I haven't been able to fend off. I'm at work or I'd grab some screenshots. :/

I got lucky and had some nice pods drop down early with materials that I manufactured and sold off to get charge rifles for all my soldiers. I've been healing and releasing most people so my neighbours mostly like me, or at least aren't as aggressive anymore.

It took some time, and my research took a tiny hit, but I had someone ask for sanctuary that had mostly useless stats but nothing bad (looking at you pyromaniac), so I turned off everything she could do and told her to focus on research. After some time now she's a research beast. Other than my 3 starters, who I all made soldier/builder, soldier/cook/gardener, soldier/miner, I have 2 hauling guys. Dumbest bastards on the planet, so I don't tax their tiny minds, and just make them haul and clean things for me.

I'm sort of stuck trying to get more people now though. Social skills on the builder guy are ok (8-11 iirc), but everyone is so damn hard to recruit. Even if I get a good prisoner that has no drug addictions or negative traits, they're always 99 difficulty to recruit.

I've researched everything except luxury drugs and am working on ship research now. I might actually make it off this damn rock! That said, I haven't started building the ship yet, that's a problem for another day :P

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Yeah best you can do is make prisoners really happy by giving them nice rooms.

some people are just impossible to recruit.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

We call those people "Organ Donors".

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Konphujun wrote: »

We call those people "Dinner".

It's not really one or the other, you know.

Harvest until they expire, then put 'em in the freezer.

Also, watch as your non-psychopath colonists drink and smoke themselves into needing all those organs you've been collecting.

What difficult levels do you guys play at? I kind settled on Randy Random Intense for a hard but not ridiculous time

Cassandra Classic Intense for me. I prefer to have some method to the madness

Anyhow, with most of my usual mods updated to A16, I decided to head back into a fairly full on modded colony. I was already transitioning back to a standard fuelled generator + separate power grid for the greenhouse but the Skylights mod makes a total mockery of it all. For 5 steel per 3x3 grid, you can bypass the need to use a sunlamp at all for outdoor greenhouses. In any case, installing and uninstalling various benches to keep within a 1k-2k Wh budget is rather interesting as an exercise.

Bum rushing and having some hauler bots can make toxic fallouts hilariously overpowered. Everything on the map is dying, I have haulers who don't care about toxic fallout. End result? A race to grab all the corpses before they decay and stuff them into the fridge for when I need a few thousand meats and leather.

My new colony degenerated into a testing lab to try to get Dist Heat's ducts working. Again. I still have absolutely no luck with that system, ending up with something that costs a huge amount of resources and is broken in one of two ways: Bad broken in that it doesn't work given the cost and resources sunk into it. Good broken where it totally violates the laws of conservation of energy. In the end, I think I'll continue to use it for the basic stuff and continue to mark ducts as non-functional. Part of that is that I stuffed up the overall layout of the mountain base. It's dug far too deep into the mountain which makes getting out take too long and there's a huge block of space I can't really make use of because it's simultaneously too close to the entrance and not big enough to use as one of the primary needs of the colony.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

It's not really one or the other, you know.

Harvest until they expire, then put 'em in the freezer.

Also, watch as your non-psychopath colonists drink and smoke themselves into needing all those organs you've been collecting.

Pfft, mine were already doing that anyway. I find it ironic that one of my colonists smoked her way into a carcinoma, but the pain-killing effect of hbeing stoned on smokeweed all the time completely negates the pain from the carcinoma. Treat the symptoms with the cause! What could possibly go wrong?

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was gonna euthanize this one elderly colonist who had basically gotten full blown dementia from a gunshot to the head, and basically just was in a constant state of Mental Break: Daze/confusion.

She had been a good unit until then tho, so I figured I'd get her nice and high first.

That killed her instead ( and colonist's were much less sad than a euthanization too!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I was gonna euthanize this one elderly colonist who had basically gotten full blown dementia from a gunshot to the head, and basically just was in a constant state of Mental Break: Daze/confusion.

She had been a good unit until then tho, so I figured I'd get her nice and high first.

That killed her instead ( and colonist's were much less sad than a euthanization too!)

They'd be even less sad if you put her in a drop pod and shot her into the ocean.

I had my first heart attack theother day

my doctor tried in vain for nearly a solid day to keep the person alive but ultimately failed

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

They'd be even less sad if you put her in a drop pod and shot her into the ocean.

No, now is where I admit the hard part of playing these games for me! I felt bad all day at work for not bringing her back, even tempted to reload a save for her dumb stupid dementia'd mental breakdown 'd butt.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

my doctor tried in vain for nearly a solid day to keep the person alive but ultimately failed

This is where you have a large stockpile of spare hearts. You can never go wrong with having spare parts just in case

Wait, what?

No seriously, I had a reasonably decent pawn in my recent colony but her problem is that she's asthmatic. Every few days she needed a trip to the doctors to get treated otherwise her breathing gets really bad and even if she gets prompt treatment, she's always going to have a hit to her breathing. Not anymore! A friendly escape pod dropped a useless pawn with chemical interest, who was then promptly turned into a pile of spare parts including two brand new (actually, slightly used) lungs.

I think for my next colony I'll aim to have a small group (around 8) of elite colonists all with extensive bionic implants and supported by an army of drones while they sit back and play cards and wait for the next tribal raid to turn into swiss cheese.

edited February 2017

This is where you have a large stockpile of spare hearts. You can never go wrong with having spare parts just in case

Wait, what?

No seriously, I had a reasonably decent pawn in my recent colony but her problem is that she's asthmatic. Every few days she needed a trip to the doctors to get treated otherwise her breathing gets really bad and even if she gets prompt treatment, she's always going to have a hit to her breathing. Not anymore! A friendly escape pod dropped a useless pawn with chemical interest, who was then promptly turned into a pile of spare parts including two brand new (actually, slightly used) lungs.

I think for my next colony I'll aim to have a small group (around 8) of elite colonists all with extensive bionic implants and supported by an army of drones while they sit back and play cards and wait for the next tribal raid to turn into swiss cheese.

I am totally making a psychopath colony and running it as a human parts warehouse. Really wish you could harvest parts from the dead, as long as they were fresh.

maybe combined with a cannibal frozen wasteland colony.

Buttcleft on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Ah, the Weyland Utani executive retreat.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Someone really needs to make a mod where you can harvest viable organs from the recently deceased.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Also a mod to turn people into servitors that can only do menial tasks but also never get angry. This may already exist.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Really wish you could harvest parts from the dead

And it just dawned on me why I can't get any organs after heart once I start harvesting from people... Guessing I have to work my way up to heart :P

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited February 2017
    My standard organ harvesting is:
    One lung
    One Kidney
    Both eyes
    All other extremities
    The heart or Liver

If I wanted a social training dummy, I'll harvest both eyes, one lung, one kidney and stop there. They're not escaping if they can't see.

Takel on
    I am totally making a psychopath colony and running it as a human parts warehouse. Really wish you could harvest parts from the dead, as long as they were fresh.

maybe combined with a cannibal frozen wasteland colony.

This was my last colony exactly, and it works perfectly (except that part about subjects dying and leaving all those wonderful organs to waste).

The only downside, as should be obvious, is that finding any other colonists who are also psychotic is pretty rare, and so your colony either has to stay super small (not so bad if you have robots), or they all get completely addicted to the drugs they take to make the bad memories go away, resulting in lots of lung and liver disease.