As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop Replacement/Suggestions Thread: Bring out yer dead laptops!

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I normally don't post deals on here because the thread doesn't get a lot of attention. This one is fairly decent, though.

MSI GT72S 17.3" GSync 1080p IPS; GTX970M for $1200 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152937

The SSD is tiny, but it's replaceable. All the other components are fairly high end for the price (I'm sure some here will argue that fact).

That's an awesome deal for current gen.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    And the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB drive is $154 right now so could bump up the storage for "cheap". For relative SSD values of cheap.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Can anyone help me pick out a work laptop for my partner that can drive two monitors? We are aiming for:
    • Under $800, but that's negotiable
    • Portable; under 3 lbs. Also negotiable.
    • Ideally 13"
    • i5, 8GB RAM or upgradable (mostly office doc work, with regular use of VMs for web dev)
    • Can drive two monitors or plug into a dock that does
    • Gaming graphics are unnecessary (we have other devices for that), but nice to have.

Basically, the ASUS Zenbook UX305UA or Dell Inspiron 7000 but with another display port on it.

I haven't been keeping up with Thunderbolt and USB-C developments, and I don't know which ones are capable of what. I know, for example, that USB-C Gen 1 has a max throughput of 5Gbps vs the 40Gbps of Thunderbolt Gen 3, but I don't if USB C Gen 1 can operate an extra monitor.

Would the upcoming ASUS Zenbook be capable of driving an additional monitor over USB-C Gen 1? Could it connect to USB-C or Thunderbolt docks?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    @templewulf I took a look and found this laptop that is more bang for your buck.

Alternatively, you can always try this laptop, though it doesn't have a DVD drive.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Well, the Lenovo T460 has both HDMI and (Mini) Displayport, which I think makes it one of the few $800 notebooks that can drive two external displays. The i5/8GB version is $930 right now, but I think it goes on sale for less than that if you can wait (back to school sales in August might be a thing to watch).

Getting Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1(USB 3.0 doesn't really cut it for docks) in this price range is tough right now.

a5ehren on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So you need the displays to show different context, or mirrored?

I just ask to see if an HDMI splitter world be a cheaper option.

edited July 2016
    Roe wrote: »
    @templewulf I took a look and found this laptop that is more bang for your buck.

Alternatively, you can always try this laptop, though it doesn't have a DVD drive.

Great finds on the specs! They're a little on the heavy side for her (I'm aiming for under 3, but thinking she could carry up to 5 if that's too big an ask). She doesn't need anything larger than a 13", since she'll be working mostly on dual monitors at home or at the office. I suppose that 13" laptops don't have many ports unless we're willing to go up to a Dell XPS or MacBook, huh?

Edit: optical drives are also unnecessary. I wonder how much weight that would eliminate if we remove it...

(Also, Vanilla isn't rendering your first link correctly for me, even though it's totally fine when I copy it from your text)

@a5ehren , I have no idea if Thunderbolt 3 is even required for display over USB-C. We don't need it for anything aside from the extra monitor. Could the ASUS 306 (expected out by August) do that over USB-C Gen 1?

@MichaelLC two different displays, just a standard dual monitor station. I already have an HDMI splitter for console capture, so that's not quite what I'm after.

templewulf on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    templewulf I took a look and found this laptop that is more bang for your buck.

Great finds on the specs! They're a little on the heavy side for her (I'm aiming for under 3, but thinking she could carry up to 5 if that's too big an ask). She doesn't need anything larger than a 13", since she'll be working mostly on dual monitors at home or at the office. I suppose that 13" laptops don't have many ports unless we're willing to go up to a Dell XPS or MacBook, huh?

Edit: optical drives are also unnecessary. I wonder how much weight that would eliminate if we remove it...

(Also, Vanilla isn't rendering your first link correctly for me, even though it's totally fine when I copy it from your text)

a5ehren , I have no idea if Thunderbolt 3 is even required for display over USB-C. We don't need it for anything aside from the extra monitor. Could the ASUS 306 (expected out by August) do that over USB-C Gen 1?

MichaelLC two different displays, just a standard dual monitor station. I already have an HDMI splitter for console capture, so that's not quite what I'm after.

I honestly don't know if anyone makes docks that do DP well over Gen 1. But I've never looked either.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Can someone smarter or more up to date on USB-C/Thunderbolt ports and eGPUs such as the Razer Core answer a couple of questions?

1) My understanding is the Razer Core is intended to be a universal enclosure - I take it that means it will work with any laptop with the proper port and firmware that meets the standard?

2) Are there other upcoming, cheaper enclosures? The Razer Core is 500 bucks without the card. Seems a bit much, I can just get a super laptop instead and pay the same or less.

3) Thunderbolt and USB-C are not the same correct? I think I found out what I needed on this one - they are not the same, but the Thunderbolt 3 port should work with USB-C cables/devices(and displayport cables)

Bigity on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    For a non gamer, any opinions on Samsung ativ book 9 spin? Partner may be converting from her old ass Mac, looks ok to me, comparable to Lenovo offerings. Figured y'all would know if there was a secret bugbear in the specs.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    What do people think of the ASUS VivoBook X540LA ?

I'm doing my research but still not really up to speed on laptops. Learning! This seems reasonable to me. After something very similar to what the above seems to offer, but perhaps a little more oomph so I can still process photos without it grinding to a halt, and have the option to be able to play a few games on Steam (obviously not expecting to be playing AAA graphics-heavy games).

Does anyone know of a laptop that is maybe the next step up from the above?

steam_sig.png
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm really happy I found a laptop with QHD and a dedicated Graphics card (GTX 940M). Asus Zenbook UX310UQ. Usually you either get the big screen and integrated graphics or a nice graphics card with Full HD.

I just hope I won't regret going for 8 gigs of RAM and the i5 but I didn't feel like indulging.

Absalon on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Howdy Laptop Thread!

Since Apple has made it clear that they've left me, it's time for me to leave them. I was waiting for their Macbook Pro update to make a move on a new laptop, and since the new version is incredibly underwhelming, I'm looking at Windows machines.

I've been reading up, and got my hands on a few different machines today, and I think I have my ideal specs in mind, but I'm having difficulty finding the computer that ticks every box.

I do 4k and 6k video production, so I need ridiculous horsepower, but portability is still something I'd like. So here's my necessary specs:

skylake i7 (the new one would be nice, but not necessary)
    GTX 1060 or better
    4k screen
    15" is fine
    32 gigs RAM (this seems to be the biggest roadblock; seems like almost everything only has 16)
    a touch screen would be really nice, but not 100% necessary. Only about 90% necessary.

I can configure an Alienware to hit everything except the touch screen, but I'd prefer to not have such a "bold" looking computer. The HP options use older quadro mobile graphics, and the regular Dell XPS use the previous generation GTX graphics (but does offer touch).

So is there anything out there that ticks all of my boxes? Price isn't toooooo much of an issue because I'm used to buying $3500 Apples, but if I can keep it under $3000, that would be lovely.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    don't have any models to suggest. But for the ram I would just swap down to the lowest amount they offer and then swap in 2x16G sticks yourself for about $180.

Going to be easier and probably cheaper than trying to find a manufacturer that offers it as an option.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    don't have any models to suggest. But for the ram I would just swap down to the lowest amount they offer and then swap in 2x16G sticks yourself for about $180.

Going to be easier and probably cheaper than trying to find a manufacturer that offers it as an option.

32gb isn't that extraordinary. The real bear to get is all that and the touchscreen. Sager has plenty of 15" 4k IPS displays, i7-6700k, GTX 1060/1070/1080, and 32gb of RAM laptops...but none are touchscreen. Looking outside of Alienwares, XoticPC lists ASUS as having touchscreen models at 4k...but are limited to GTX 960M GPUs (which aren't going to be providing "ridiculous horsepower").

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Might be able to configure some of the Lenovo Thinkpad series with this specs. Maybe the P or T series?

edited November 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

32gb isn't that extraordinary. The real bear to get is all that and the touchscreen. Sager has plenty of 15" 4k IPS displays, i7-6700k, GTX 1060/1070/1080, and 32gb of RAM laptops...but none are touchscreen. Looking outside of Alienwares, XoticPC lists ASUS as having touchscreen models at 4k...but are limited to GTX 960M GPUs (which aren't going to be providing "ridiculous horsepower").

Yeah, that's basically what I'm running into.

The "New" Razer Blade Pro ticks all the boxes, but it's not out yet, and MSRP is a thousand bucks more than all the others I'm looking at.

But then, getting one of those external GPU boxes could be a way to go as well. Get a kickass GPU that I can upgrade in there for when I'm doing the heavy lifting at my desk, and just deal with the not-cutting-edge performance when I'm working mobile.

Edit: also, it's looking like opening up some of these laptops to upgrade the RAM will void the warranty, which I definitely don't want to do on a machine I use for work.

jimb213 on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I know someone other than Razer has those external kits but I can't remember who. MSI maybe? I feel like those are at a major price premium for more than they really need to be if those companies want serious traction.

I know someone other than Razer has those external kits but I can't remember who. MSI maybe? I feel like those are at a major price premium for more than they really need to be if those companies want serious traction.

Yeah, I was considering the Razer... Stealth? Whatever it was, I just couldn't justify the expense for the enclosure. If I can get this laptop to last through the next GPU cycle, it might be affordable enough to go that way.

I'd love to see a barebones version that lets you install whatever card you want.

The Razer eGPU box is not too poorly priced (especially after they knock off $100 when you buy it alongside a laptop).

I've seen two other eGPU boxes, and one is significantly more expensive, and one is less.

jimb213 wrote: »
    The Razer eGPU box is not too poorly priced (especially after they knock off $100 when you buy it alongside a laptop).

I've seen two other eGPU boxes, and one is significantly more expensive, and one is less.

Huh! Thanks for the heads up on the discount. It's ~500USD before the coupon. It's ~1400USD for the whole bundle after discount. I'd throw on another ~250 for an SSD upgrade.

That's not too terrible, considering a Thunderbolt dock would be a few hundred on its own anyway. I'm having trouble finding the specifics on Razer's site, but: do you know if the Core supplies power over TB, and does it have audio ports?

edited December 2016
    Any recommendations on a laptop to replace an old ASUS with a 670M? Would want to keep it less than $1000, 15" screen is fine - and would like to at least get close to a 1050 Ti in performance. I have a SSD I can slap in, and can upgrade RAM after purchase.

EDIT: I should probably hold out and see what kind of offerings are coming for 1050 Ti laptops.

Bigity on
    Sweet, several laptops announced with 1050 Ti cards at less than $1000. That means I can upgrade from my ASUS laptop with a 670M on the cheap and in the next year or two build a nice desktop rig.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    A laptop with a 1050 would be pretty nice.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

Not bad, get some more RAM maybe and a bigger/2nd SSD. I don't need top end graphics, just decent :)

edited January 2017
    Ignore. Wrong thread

Mugsley on
    One thing you need to look out for is sufficient cooling. Lots of laptops that have discreet cards don't make good use of them because they can't keep them cool enough to avoid thermal throttling.

• SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    What's everyone think of this?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B015PYYDMQ?th=1

Could it play any recent shooters (Doom, BF1) with decent settings?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Spherick wrote: »
    What's everyone think of this?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B015PYYDMQ?th=1

Could it play any recent shooters (Doom, BF1) with decent settings?

Doom? At 1080p and high, it looks like the benchmarks are not in your favor: ~15fps or so. Dropping down to medium at 1366x768 will get you an average of 28fps. BF1 is a little better at 32fps at the 1366x768 medium setting.

I'm using this site as a reference: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940MX.156033.0.html

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    After going through notebook check.com - I decided on the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with the 256gb SSD. Biggest downsides were screen can be a bit dim and the key travel on the KB, but those seem minor.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have a desktop with an i5 6600 and a GeForce 960. What's a good laptop that can run most of the things my desktop can reasonably well (not at the same graphical settings, of course)? Also would like one with an SSD.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Take a look at the laptop that @Spherick mentioned directly above you.

Thanks to recent advances in power consumption, new laptops actually have very capable graphics chips. The mobile-class chips aren't nearly as powered-down as, say, the 7xx generation chips.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'd suspect you can get a 960M chip in a sub-$700 laptop now.

You may also want to check out websites like http://www.notebookcheck.net to get an idea of what's current and/or what's coming.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Thanks to recent advances in power consumption, new laptops actually have very capable graphics chips. The mobile-class chips aren't nearly as powered-down as, say, the 7xx generation chips.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'd suspect you can get a 960M chip in a sub-$700 laptop now.

You may also want to check out websites like http://www.notebookcheck.net to get an idea of what's current and/or what's coming.

Sweet. I would like to buy one in time for PAX, so the "what's coming" isn't very useful to me. I guess it comes down to if I want to get one with a 900 series card or a 1000 series one. It looks like 1050M isn't too much more expensive than 960M. Hmm...

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Get the 1000 series.

So I've been able to take my laptop for a spin and while I don't have any of the new new games yet. It has no problem running Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online and SWTOR at high/ultimate settings with great FPS (didn't log/track it, but I didn't notice any slowdowns visually - so at least 30 FPS). I really like it and the SSD is heaven after only ever having platters.

Zython wrote: »

Sweet. I would like to buy one in time for PAX, so the "what's coming" isn't very useful to me. I guess it comes down to if I want to get one with a 900 series card or a 1000 series one. It looks like 1050M isn't too much more expensive than 960M. Hmm...

Dell has some laptops with 1050 Ti available.

Bigity wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

Dell has some laptops with 1050 Ti available.

ASUS too. I've been happy with my G752 with a 970M.

Of course they released the newer ones like a week after I bought mine, but at least they were more expensive so didn't hurt quite as much.