As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    No console system currently allows Bluetooth headsets to directly connect to it. There are wireless headsets for both Xbox One and PS4 but they do not use Bluetooth to accomplish this.

Why is this when the PS4 controllers are definitly Bluetooth? I wonder if the answer lies there.

Generally because they like proprietary stuff. Even the Xbox controller actually uses bluetooth for it's communication, but they layer some other protocols on top of it to keep it proprietary. Microsoft actually released a new model of their controller that works straight over bluetooth now.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Nintendo is a girl that can turn into a car made out of different kinds of food.

Choosing just one is for suckers.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Also a first look at the black UI background.

Edit: looks like the original tweet was deleted - guess they weren't allowed to show off the UI yet!

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    All dark all the time.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the black UI look makes me so happy. I can't think of anything worse than a giant bright white UI on a big tv in a dark-ish room.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I'm interested to see just how much single player stuff is in splatoon 2 - to be honest from what we've seen of the multi so far it really looks more like a "deluxe" edition than a full blown sequel

Re: phone app my dream right now is that getting a phone call doesn't interrupt voice chat at all so we all get to listen in on team members' conversations with their cable providers

I don't know what else a sequel would have. New mechanics, new maps, new weapons. Check check and check. Only thing I can think of lacking is new modes, and we don't know that for sure.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

That sure is a huge power button in the UI.

I can't possibly imagine hitting that by accident when I intend to hit something else on the screen, no sir.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    I'm interested to see just how much single player stuff is in splatoon 2 - to be honest from what we've seen of the multi so far it really looks more like a "deluxe" edition than a full blown sequel

Re: phone app my dream right now is that getting a phone call doesn't interrupt voice chat at all so we all get to listen in on team members' conversations with their cable providers

I don't know what else a sequel would have. New mechanics, new maps, new weapons. Check check and check. Only thing I can think of lacking is new modes, and we don't know that for sure.

IMO a new single player campaign is very important for a Splatoon sequel. I really enjoyed the first and it makes it feel like a more complete package. I've never even glanced at Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch, stuff that AFAIK is multiplayer only...sometimes I want to play the game, but I don't want that stress of real people.

Fortunately I don't think we have anything to worry about, considering they already went to the extent of stating this is "2 years after the original Splatoon," which would make little sense if they weren't going to include some story elements of some sort. Plus the trailer showed Octolings returning, and some interesting shots like Marie sadly standing alone(???).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I liked the musou where you could unlock the Ninja Gaiden characters and I got to run around as Rachel and slaughter the heck out of thousands of mooks. Also there was a dragon or something and some boring Chinese dudes.

Before that I liked the Gundam one.

I am not well versed in the genre. :)

You couldn't play as Rachel in Musou Stars. I'm pretty sure you couldn't. I only know this as an undying Ninja Gaiden fanboy.

You could play as Ryu Hayabusa, or Kasumi though.

Looking it up, it appears to have been Warriors Orochi 3, which got a WiiU release so maybe we'll see any possible sequels on the Switch. It had a huge cast of guest characters including the Ninja Gaiden characters, some DoA, even Sophitia from Soul Calibur I think.

• Options
    ht tps://twitter.com/nicalis/status/822140483279286272

Hmmm...you know what, though...I could easily see the black UI being an exclusive developer unit thing, to be able to recognize it at a glance. I know similar stuff to that has happened in the past.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Looks like that post has been deleted. If you're like me and wanted to see the dark UI but don't want to dig here's the image:
    lPhccNH.jpg

Edit: Spoilered my image since it looks like another tweet was edited in and there's no reason to see the picture a million times.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    Wait, it shows a user icon and shows that you're "playing?"

Imagine if your online friends show up there, right over the game tile. "3 playing"

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Interesting, the user icon is an inkling and not a mii. I like this. I would much rather represent myself with a cool icon online :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I liked the musou where you could unlock the Ninja Gaiden characters and I got to run around as Rachel and slaughter the heck out of thousands of mooks. Also there was a dragon or something and some boring Chinese dudes.

Before that I liked the Gundam one.

I am not well versed in the genre. :)

You couldn't play as Rachel in Musou Stars. I'm pretty sure you couldn't. I only know this as an undying Ninja Gaiden fanboy.

You could play as Ryu Hayabusa, or Kasumi though.

Looking it up, it appears to have been Warriors Orochi 3, which got a WiiU release so maybe we'll see any possible sequels on the Switch. It had a huge cast of guest characters including the Ninja Gaiden characters, some DoA, even Sophitia from Soul Calibur I think.

That's actually a free game courtesy of Games with Gold. I need to play it if only because of how long I've been a Team Ninja fan....

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

What's the new mechanic?
    I mean I guess I've seen some but they're all weapon-bound so I put that under new weapon

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

What's the new mechanic?
    I mean I guess I've seen some but they're all weapon-bound so I put that under new weapon

New Mechanics: All super weapons replaced. Most weapons have a secondary mechanical attribute now. Ex: Splat Duelies allow dodge roll, Rollers have Secondary firing mode for long range, Chargers can now store charge.
    -What makes this new is that it isn't addition of new weapons, but rather modification and update to existing weapons, which changes the meta and mechanics of base weapons. That is why I see this as a sequel.
    New Central Hub
    New Single Player Campaign
    Updated Models with increased customization of your Inkling

edit: I would have thought that new super weapons aren't a big deal if they kept the original, but the fact that they replaced the old weapons with new ones means this is a refinement and redesign of the competitive meta. They probably changed them based on what was learned from Splatoon multiplayer data. The most telling of this is the Splashdown, which actively counters the old meta of camping landing points.

PROX on
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

That sure is a huge power button in the UI.

I can't possibly imagine hitting that by accident when I intend to hit something else on the screen, no sir.

Eh, I don't find myself constantly fucking up and hitting the wrong inputs when it comes to actually playing a game and I can't think of the last time I launched something that I didn't mean to either.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah I guess if everything has a second fire then that'll do

Right now we only know those three, one of which is totally new, but it will actually probably apply to everything

I also didn't know the old supers were out

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

What's the new mechanic?

Rolling is one of the big ones I noticed. It's not a back-of-the-box feature, but it does change up how the game is played.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

What's the new mechanic?

Rolling is one of the big ones I noticed. It's not a back-of-the-box feature, but it does change up how the game is played.

Right but that's just for that one gun type

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Yeah actually now thinking about this further, if what I said above is NOT the case I will be very disappointed.

c056A0K.png

Don't require opening a friend list to see who is playing what...do it the other way around, just print right on the games themselves how many friends are playing them. That would be brilliant. They have to do this. Does anyone else even do this?

PROX wrote: »
    edit: I would have thought that new super weapons aren't a big deal if they kept the original, but the fact that they replaced the old weapons with new ones means this is a refinement and redesign of the competative meta. They probably changed them based on what was learned from Splatoon multiplayer data. The most telling of this is the Splashdown, which actively counters the old meta of camping landing points.
    They changed the supers because at least one of them used to make you tap the map to choose where to fire it. :P

• Options

I dunno. Sequels nowadays basically just require the same players/actors in the same universe but with more weapons/maps. See also: Every Call of Duty.

• Options
    Yeah I guess if everything has a second fire then that'll do

Right now we only know those three, one of which is totally new, but it will actually probably apply to everything

I also didn't know the old supers were out

They said it during the presentation. They changed all the super weapons. There was also a full treehouse demonstration. The only weapon that didn't change was the original Splatling, for people that wanted something simple. All the other weapons introduced mechanical attributes.
    Roller-> Now has long range secondary fire
    Charger-> You can now store your charge
    In addition, the way you paint has been modified.
    Before: You paint in front of you.
    Splattoon 2: You also paint the ground you are standing on.
    What this means is that you can now immediately submerge after painting instead of having to run forward. This means that firing instantly gives you the option to duck, and also clear enemy paint under you to prevent slowdown.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Interesting, the user icon is an inkling and not a mii. I like this. I would much rather represent myself with a cool icon online :)

Looks like Miis are out entirely.

Going to be an odd switch, especially since they were played up as recently as Miitomo and the new My Nintendo site, but here we are.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I hadn't even considered that with the Inkstrike.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Going to be an odd switch, especially since they were played up as recently as Miitomo and the new My Nintendo site, but here we are.

Nah Miis are still there. Watch the montage game reel footage from the presentation and there is a mii game in there. I just don't think they will be as pervasive as on Wii U.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I dunno. Sequels nowadays basically just require the same players/actors in the same universe but with more weapons/maps. See also: Every Call of Duty.

I s'pose - it was because the original splatoon kept adding weapons and stages as time went on that I felt like adding weapons and stages was less splatoon 2 and more just splatoon: but we kept updating it. When I first saw the roll I thought it was a full system change but then it was just tied to that weapon I overlooked the other weapon altfires - I started to think about what they did for Mario Kart 8 with the battle courses and dual-items and how that didn't quite get to 9

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I s'pose - it was because the original splatoon kept adding weapons and stages as time went on that I felt like adding weapons and stages was less splatoon 2 and more just splatoon: but we kept updating it. When I first saw the roll I thought it was a full system change but then it was just tied to that weapon I overlooked the other weapon altfires - I started to think about what they did for Mario Kart 8 with the battle courses and dual-items and how that didn't quite get to 9

Point taken. I'd never played Splatoon so I forgot that they were adding free weapons and stages.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Don't require opening a friend list to see who is playing what...do it the other way around, just print right on the games themselves how many friends are playing them. That would be brilliant. They have to do this. Does anyone else even do this?

Yeah, Steam does that.
    85usBZ9.png

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Yeah, Steam does that.
    [i mg]http://i.imgur.com/85usBZ9.png[/img]
    I know that, I meant like, on the tiles. In that view you have to check each game.

cloudeagle wrote: »

Nah Miis are still there. Watch the montage game reel footage from the presentation and there is a mii game in there. I just don't think they will be as pervasive as on Wii U.
    Yeah I posted this a couple pages back.

• Options
    Yeah actually now thinking about this further, if what I said above is NOT the case I will be very disappointed.

c056A0K.png

edit: I would have thought that new super weapons aren't a big deal if they kept the original, but the fact that they replaced the old weapons with new ones means this is a refinement and redesign of the competative meta. They probably changed them based on what was learned from Splatoon multiplayer data. The most telling of this is the Splashdown, which actively counters the old meta of camping landing points.
    They changed the supers because at least one of them used to make you tap the map to choose where to fire it. :P

They could have just changed that one super. Even then, you can still teleport by aiming at the map when you pull it up. That wasn't the issue. They replaced inkstrike with the multistrike launcher that tracks targets. With increased maneuverability and reaction speed in Splatoon 2, old ink strike becomes ineffective at area denial or player elimination. Killer Wail also becomes ineffective because of increased reaction options. This was replaced with the pressure cannon that can be moved and still shoots through walls.

Jet Pack replaces InkZooka: This one is interesting. It adds a weakness to InkZooka. Still retains it's long range killing ability, and ability to overcome line of site, but limits it and makes you vulnerable. The plus is that it removes you from your current ground fight.

Bomb rushes have been updated graphically so that you actually hold a launcher now. That feels like the most cosmetic of the super changes.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Yeah, Steam does that.
    [i mg]http://i.imgur.com/85usBZ9.png[/img]
    I know that, I meant like, on the tiles. In that view you have to check each game.

It might only display on the currently highlighted tile, though.

• Options
    They better still have my god damned shield.

That thing was so good for mind games. I would pop it and people would just run away, and I wouldn't even go after them half the time, I'd use it to burrow deeper into their base and force them to play more defensively, let my dudes make progress out of our own base.

• Options

That thing was so good for mind games. I would pop it and people would just run away, and I wouldn't even go after them half the time, I'd use it to burrow deeper into their base and force them to play more defensively, let my dudes make progress out of our own base.

Shield was very strong in meta and a smart choice. This makes me think it will be modified so that it isn't the dominant loadout. It will also probably updated graphically. OR they could do something completely different with the same impact.

That rain cloud felt like a very deliberate addition to the area denial game.

• Options

Shield was very strong in meta and a smart choice. This makes me think it will be modified so that it isn't the dominant loadout. It will also probably updated graphically. OR they could do something completely different with the same impact.

You know what would be a fun special? Very briefly, you can swim in any color paint :o

• Options

You know what would be a fun special? Very briefly, you can swim in any color paint :o

Kind of the kraken

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I never ended up picking up Splatoon because at the time it was not a good time to be getting into games.

I look forward to picking up Splatoon 2 this time around though.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    No console system currently allows Bluetooth headsets to directly connect to it. There are wireless headsets for both Xbox One and PS4 but they do not use Bluetooth to accomplish this.

Why is this when the PS4 controllers are definitly Bluetooth? I wonder if the answer lies there.

For the PS4 at least we have an answer:

The PS3 used standard bluetooth headsets. The PS4 doesn't because Sony didn't want to allow it. It's a shitty answer, but it's not for any technical reason. Sony wants to sell you a fancy 'bulky gamer headset'.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to start trying to sell off some of my old WiiU games, like mario kart 8, or OG splatoon, before the value just completely tanks.

The other part of me knows what it's like to trade games in and regret it later.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Splatoon probably a good bet since they'll get rid of those multiplayer servers eventually

CD World Tour status:
This discussion has been closed.