As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Also a first look at the black UI background.

That sure is a huge power button in the UI.

I can't possibly imagine hitting that by accident when I intend to hit something else on the screen, no sir.

We're really scraping the bottom of the 'things to complain about' barrel now.

edit:: although, I will say that I will miss the Wii and Wii U interfaces, I miss the organizable grid. I think I've hit the bottom now.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Splatoon probably a good bet since they'll get rid of those multiplayer servers eventually

Yes but, single player!

I can't possibly imagine hitting that by accident when I intend to hit something else on the screen, no sir.

edit:: although, I will say that I will miss the Wii and Wii U interfaces, I miss the organizable grid. I think I've hit the bottom now.

See I feel this is what lends credence to the idea of showing "friends playing" right on the tile, if they have to be big so they can display that info.

I'm dreaming, I know.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

@Delduwath Just about every device now asks for confirmation before you actually power down. Pressing that by accident is just going to bring up a prompt for you to dismiss.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Splatoon probably a good bet since they'll get rid of those multiplayer servers eventually

Yes but, single player!

See I feel this is what lends credence to the idea of showing "friends playing" right on the tile, if they have to be big so they can display that info.

I'm dreaming, I know.

Sadly, I'm not convinced that they'll show your friends playing on the game tile. It looks like they're going with multiple users on the system again and likely that's just showing what the current user is playing, hence the option to Change User under it.

I wish you were right though, but it feels hopeful at this point.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The whole "Currently Playing" showing up could be part of their parental controls system?

In that video Bowser could see what Bowser Jr was currently playing and I believe for how long. Would hope that its more than that too though.

NNID: Rehab0
    edited January 2017
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Sadly, I'm not convinced that they'll show your friends playing on the game tile. It looks like they're going with multiple users on the system again and likely that's just showing what the current user is playing, hence the option to Change User under it.

I wish you were right though, but it feels hopeful at this point.

Oh, I know it is.

I think it's pretty clear they just suspended the current game...however, in the past they've always used the terminology "suspended" on a game when you hit Home, on both 3DS and Wii U. I also don't see why there would be a need to show the user avatar on the icon, unless it was possible for other avatars to be displayed there.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So here is an interesting little piece of info:

The Switch with the Joy-Con's attached is evidently going to weigh 14.04 ounces

The Wii-U Gamepad itself is 17.312 ounces

They managed to shave over 3 ounces of weight off of the Switch compared to the Wii-U Gamepad.

Seems pretty decent as the Wii-U Gamepad always seemed pretty light to me.

For other comparison the New 3DS XL is 11.6051 oz in weight.

Sources:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14255984/nintendo-switch-hardware-specifications-screen-resolution
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_GamePad
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/New_3DS_XL_vs._3DS_XL_vs._2DS_Comparison_Chart

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Wii U gamepad was a lot of chunky plastic. A *lot* of chunky plastic.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So I'm late to this, but it's not even like Nintendo hasn't said anything about their online service

They just, for some reason, have decided to exclusively talk about the bad parts of it?

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Maybe it's like hey guys we have a system
    It's called the Wii
    Ok think about that - we'll talk to you later

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So I'm late to this, but it's not even like Nintendo hasn't said anything about their online service

They just, for some reason, have decided to exclusively talk about the bad parts of it?

I think it's more that they're answering the questions for folks because people are asking about the bad parts of it.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Maybe it's like hey guys we have a system
    It's called the Wii
    Ok think about that - we'll talk to you later

That was basically their strategy for getting the word out about what the Wii U was.

My assumption is that they are waiting to talk about that at E3 given that most of the online features launch in the fall.

Whereas in March we are getting the system and games so those are the best things to talk about now.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

If I had to describe the Wii U gamepad, I wouldn't call it "light". Maybe "durable"? I never dropped one.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    My Walmart that I work at just started taking preorders for it so I'm 3rd in line! Yay!

No I don't.
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

If I had to describe the Wii U gamepad, I wouldn't call it "light". Maybe "durable"? I never dropped one.

Ours was dropped maybe 10 times on to a hard wood floor (damn kids) and never broke.

I'm a bit worried about how the Switch will be treated.

As for weight I nearly always had the game pad resting on my lap so it never bothered me.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the switch should have had Nintendo Amiibo Toy Box at launch. Let me play with those damn amiibos in a game like Infinity had....seriously my kids still load up toy box mode in infinity just to mess around with difference characters. Why Nintendo, WHY?!?

Synthesis wrote: »

For the size of the GamePad it has always felt on the lighter side for me.

I've held that thing in one hand while using a stylus in the other while creating Mario Maker levels for some time and never had any comfort issues.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah actually now thinking about this further, if what I said above is NOT the case I will be very disappointed.

c056A0K.png

Don't require opening a friend list to see who is playing what...do it the other way around, just print right on the games themselves how many friends are playing them. That would be brilliant. They have to do this. Does anyone else even do this?

PROX wrote: »
    edit: I would have thought that new super weapons aren't a big deal if they kept the original, but the fact that they replaced the old weapons with new ones means this is a refinement and redesign of the competative meta. They probably changed them based on what was learned from Splatoon multiplayer data. The most telling of this is the Splashdown, which actively counters the old meta of camping landing points.
    They changed the supers because at least one of them used to make you tap the map to choose where to fire it. :P

You know what your zooming in cause me to notice? That it has a change user option there. Some people may have taken it for granted, but this is confirmation that we can have more one user saved on the device. I know someone asked about that around the launch announcement event.

Edit: someone else beat me to it. Still, I wonder if there is anything else in that shot that Nintendo didn't mean for us to see?

Nitsua on
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Switch UI is pretty slick looking

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A-SWITCH-1.jpg?resize=768%2C431

Talking about Mii's, this screen of Mario Kart 8 shows them still being a thing.

http://sourcegaming.info/2017/01/19/switch-impressions-germany-part-1/

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Man, argue and debate all we want about the nuances, and the fact that Nintendo is being stupid in not actually communicating anything well at all.....

every picture I see of the device, and I just think it's one of the coolest consumer technology gadgets I've ever seen.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Super Bomberman will be $50US

http://www.shacknews.com/article/98665/super-bomberman-r-price-confirmed-by-konami

I would have loved to see it hit $40, but at least we're seeing *some* price flexibility at launch.

edited January 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

I think it's more that they're answering the questions for folks because people are asking about the bad parts of it.

I think part of it is that practically everyone including major investors were clamoring for Nintendo to do something with mobile for ages now. In their minds, this is them fulfilling some part of what was asked for, like "ta-da, you said you wanted mobile so here, we're embracing it for our next console." Yeah, what people specifically asked for was games, but they're providing that now too - this was demonstrating more of that commitment. They're shouting it from the rooftops.

It is reminiscent of how they focused so hard on the Wii U game pad that some people assumed it was just a controller for the Wii. They've focused so hard on getting the message across that they're embracing mobile, that a lot of people aren't sure what parts of their service might not be mobile. No matter what people like Reggie have said, it's still possible that many of the app's functions can be performed on the Switch itself.

Fortunately the core messaging is still spot on, and I don't think the online stuff will overshadow the rest of the console at this point.

As far as Nintendo only talking about "the bad parts" I feel like to some extent it's people wanting to assume the worst, embracing bad precedent and ignoring all the good precedent. Every console or feature launch, there are always questions and assumptions, followed a lot of "oh well that's not so bad after all" or "holy crap Nintendo, why didn't you mention that during your conference?! Where was this game?"

Nintendo announced that the Wii U didn't have friend codes on November 7 2012, just 11 days before the Wii U launched. Everyone was wringing their hands until then. People were still exploring the system for themselves at launch, posting updates on how everything worked, discovering that you could also add friends through Miiverse in addition to the system itself.

There was so much concern when Nintendo apparently announced the only game at E3 2016 would be Zelda, so much reading into and around press releases and interviews...and then they proceeded to have a modest but relatively decent showing of upcoming games, including the same great Treehouse stream from the year before. They also frequently drop bombs at E3 the day after their presser, announcing stuff out of nowhere like Codename Steam and Fantasy Life (turned out to be one of my favorite 3DS games).

Glass half full, they play their cards close to the chest and like surprising people. Glass half empty, they're shitty at their messaging and providing all the details. We do this song and dance every time and at least half the time it turns out fine. The handwringing is really not worth it.

UncleSporky on
    the only issue I really take with it is when they announce something and then don't explain it at all.

The online stuff is a good example. If you're going to talk about the online functionality, talk about the online functionality. Leaving people to guess and assume the worst because you only want to explain a tiny sliver of it isn't exactly a great situation for anyone. If you're not ready to talk about something, don't talk about it at all, or at least be more clear about when you will talk about it.

edited January 2017
    Here's potentially one less thing to worry about.
    Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

It may be possible to create accounts for other regions in order to access their eShops, simply by switching users. Or even change the country associated with your account - I just checked My Nintendo and I'm able to change my country.

Other details:
    The Capture Button is located on the Joy-Con (L) controller and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and lets users grab screenshots from their games. They can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to social media. The original unedited screenshot is also saved.
    There is a Mii Maker on Nintendo Switch. The software to create Mii characters is now located in System Settings, and no longer resides on the HOME menu as a standalone application. You can also create a Mii character from the Profile screen. Making Mii characters is similar to the method used on past systems.

Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

You can send/receive Mii characters through local wireless communication between Nintendo Switch systems, or use an amiibo figure to transfer Mii Characters from Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and “public.”

UncleSporky on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    the only issue I really take with it is when they announce something and then don't explain it at all.

The online stuff is a good example. If you're going to talk about the online functionality, talk about the online functionality. Leaving people to guess and assume the worst because you only want to explain a tiny sliver of it isn't exactly a great situation for anyone. If you're not ready to talk about something, don't talk about it at all, or at least be more clear about when you will talk about it.

Yeah, my one real chief problem with Nintendo is related to this. When they talk about something, the way it's explained and worded in english... it makes it seem like it was translated from japanese almost verbatim. Which it probably was, kinda obvious. But there's always something off, like the translator didn't or doesn't know any underlying meanings. Like the free NES/SNES game for example. Their initial description of it was confusing as hell, and I'd attribute it to a weird translation. So you ask them to clarify, and they do, and the clarification is still confusing. I still don't know what the concrete deal is with the service. And I don't think I ever will until April rolls around and we physically see what the hell happens with the game. Voice chat is another thing. Even after all their explanations, there's still just enough ambiguity over whether you can use a frickin' headset on the Switch physically, or if it really is 110% all done through the app. And again, I don't think we'll know for sure until the thing is in the hands of players who can finally gruffly and succinctly say if you can or not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Incindium wrote: »
    A-SWITCH-1.jpg?resize=768%2C431

Talking about Mii's, this screen of Mario Kart 8 shows them still being a thing.

http://sourcegaming.info/2017/01/19/switch-impressions-germany-part-1/

See, that also convinces me that basic matchmaking will not be an app feature. That's basically how it's always worked in MK8.

Glass half full, they play their cards close to the chest and like surprising people. Glass half empty, they're shitty at their messaging and providing all the details. We do this song and dance every time and at least half the time it turns out fine. The handwringing is really not worth it.

Agreed. I was doing a lot of it yesterday, and I've since decided that I'm not going to spend any more time dwelling on this.

edzepp on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    As befitting my strange attitudes on things, 1001 Spikes being on the Switch is enough More Game to go alongside Zelda for me to want to buy.

This is may sound weird, but the idea of a handheld with real input buttons, a generous screen and the potential for lots of downloadable indie games AND cartridge based big studio games like Zelda really crystallizes a lot of what I want in a 'game system'. TV screen functionality is just a bonus.

Now, give me a port of the Vita's version of Muramasa, and we can start going places.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

http://www.shacknews.com/article/98665/super-bomberman-r-price-confirmed-by-konami

I would have loved to see it hit $40, but at least we're seeing *some* price flexibility at launch.

PreOrder on Amazon for the 20% or whatever discount

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
      Yeah Muramasa might just be the most asthetically pleasing game I've ever played. While I've heard the Vita version looks great it's way past due that it got the HD treatment.

While we're wishlisting an Okami port would be perfect for the platform.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      Road Block wrote: »
      Yeah Muramasa might just be the most asthetically pleasing game I've ever played. While I've heard the Vita version looks great it's way past due that it got the HD treatment.

While we're wishlisting an Okami port would be perfect for the platform.

I'd sell a few toes for HD Okami on this

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      Muramasa looks wonderful. Translation left something to be desired.

TimFiji wrote: »

PreOrder on Amazon for the 20% or whatever discount

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Though it means I can't wait for reviews...

While I would rather pay less for things if possible, I remember Mega Bomberman on Genesis was one of the first games I ever bought with my own money. I don't think it was a budget title, I could've spent that money on Sonic games or Street Fighter or whatever. If it was worth the same price then, I see nothing wrong with it now. The idea that it's a small game for the money, y'know, massive open world Zelda being only $10 more...I don't know, I could end up having more fun in the long run playing Bomberman with my friends for all I know.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      So Bomberman is 50 bucks...40 bucks with GCU. I have a ten dollar certificate to Best Buy so it would be 30 bucks for me. That might be worth it to get a new Bomberman.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
      edzepp wrote: »
      Muramasa looks wonderful. Translation left something to be desired.
      Both of them? I know the Wii one was butchered, which was a shame because it was originally being localized by XseeD but for undisclosed reasons was then given to Ignition Entertainment.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      So Bomberman is 50 bucks...40 bucks with GCU. I have a ten dollar certificate to Best Buy so it would be 30 bucks for me. That might be worth it to get a new Bomberman to play with timfiji

ftfy

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Brainiac 8 wrote: »
        So Bomberman is 50 bucks...40 bucks with GCU. I have a ten dollar certificate to Best Buy so it would be 30 bucks for me. That might be worth it to get a new Bomberman to play with timfiji

ftfy

Done and done good sir!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
        Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
        PSN - Brainiac_8
        Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
        Add me!
      • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
        Bomberman and Tetris, and others, are games that the developers just can't seem to get it quite right. I don't want a story mode or all kinds of crazy modes. I don't need voice acting. I don't want those games to be "new". I want a bare-bones multiplayer mode that controls well and looks nice enough, a la the stand-alone Kirby 3DS multiplayer stuff. Let me connect with friends and duke it out, for cheap. That is all I want. At like $10 I'd buy them for every console. Maybe I am crazy, but it seems that phone games often understand this idea perfectly well and are better for it. Some games don't need to to try to justify a $$$ pricetag.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
        Let's Plays of Japanese Games
        I do want the story mode in this game because it is co-op, which can be more fun than 2 player regular Bomberman, if you don't have a third or fourth.

This discussion has been closed.