As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best advice for a first timer?

besweeetbesweeet San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
edited January 2017 in PAX South
I've never gone to a PAX event before (or any gaming-related event, for that matter). It's pretty nice to see something this large happen in my city. What's the best thing you'd suggest for a first timer? I have a press / media pass and am planning on going Saturday and possibly Sunday.

besweeet on

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    Bring your own water and snacks

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    break in shoes beforehand because you will likely be on your feet and walking a lot.

• Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Go through the schedule in advance and have a Plan A and Plan B. Don't expect to make it to events that are back-to-back. You can't see everything, and that's okay.
    Get there early and know which queue you want to line up for. I put up a blog post to help with that: Morning Queues.
    Get use to lines, bring a game to play and/or share with others and make some new friends.
    5-2-1 Rule: Each day at PAX get, at a minimum, 5 hours of sleep, 2 meals (protein bars don't count), and 1 shower.
    On the PAX subreddit some good advice for media pass got posted.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Bring your own food/water, skip the long lines since you're only there 1 or 2 days, and check out games that you otherwise may have never heard of!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    macbitt wrote: »
    Go through the schedule in advance and have a Plan A and Plan B. Don't expect to make it to events that are back-to-back. You can't see everything, and that's okay.

I don't typically cover gaming, so I currently don't have a schedule, nor do I know what I want to cover. I usually look at consumer electronics, but even when I went to CES, I didn't have a schedule locked in (except for large press events, which it looks like PAX doesn't have). Surely it's possible to wing it?

• Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    besweeet wrote: »
    Surely it's possible to wing it?

Possible, but not efficient. PAX South is significantly smaller than CES, but at the same time where any booth at CES fit your coverage you'll need to look for that at PAX.

The schedule deals with panels and events, so you can skip that if you'll mostly be in the Expo Hall. I would suggest going through the Expo Hall listings, either through the PAX South app or my Enhanced Exhibitors List, so you can work out who want to visit for coverage. There are lines throughout the Expo Hall as well and exhibitors will be worn down by Sunday, so get the ones you really want for coverage on Saturday.

Since you're into consumer electronics check out my organized list and focus on the Hardware and VR sections.

macbitt on
  • Options
    crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    I highly recommend purchasing a power bank. Though there are charge booths offered, having a power bank to charge your phone comes in very handy.

dkmbNgP.png
  • Options
    I highly recommend purchasing a power bank. Though there are charge booths offered, having a power bank to charge your phone comes in very handy.

Good thing my S7 has a removable battery. Oh, wait...

• Options
    sirenasirena Registered User regular
    Henry B has drinking water fountains everywhere so save a few bucks and bring a reusable water bottle. A small backpack or slingback is a must.

Event-wise though, if you're a journalist, give yourself time to walk the floor, with breaks.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you're covering consumer electronics normally, you should probably make sure to stop by the Nintendo booth for the Switch, which will be playable.

• Options
    Animal-_-Animal-_- Registered User regular
    I like using the PAX South app. It has maps of the center and schedules for the events each day with the ability to make a to do list and set notifications for ones you really want to see.

uBoT4dK.jpg
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Break in new shoes now, not at PAX. If you don't have time, get insoles. Each day - 1 shower, 2 meals (one should have silverware), 5 hours of sleep.
    Bring a USB power bank. Realize there is more to do at PAX than you can accomplish in one weekend, so pick the highlights you wanna hit, and go with the flow on the rest. Talk to people in lines.

• Options
    MurfMurf Registered User regular
    So you can just toss some food and water into a back pack? Wasn't sure if they would allow you to BYOF/W . First time for me as well

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Murf wrote: »
    So you can just toss some food and water into a back pack? Wasn't sure if they would allow you to BYOF/W . First time for me as well

This is my first South, but my 17th PAX. I've always brought Clif bars as a back up plan if get stuck in the building for a while.

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Murf wrote: »

They absolutely will. Backpacks may or may not be briefly searched, but they are only looking for dangerous stuff. I never attend without at least some good granola bars and a water bottle in my pack.

• Options
    sirenasirena Registered User regular
    Beef jerky is a good snack too.

• Options
    MurfMurf Registered User regular
    Thanks!! Guess I'll be loaded down LOL