As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @zerzhul ok, will do! Thanks!! :D

• Options
    sconeconesconecone Registered User new member
    Hi, does anyone know if this gun violates any of the weapon rules?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/242921812/resin-9mm-handgun-prop-zombies-military

It has no moving parts and an orange tip, but I don't know if it breaks the "second glance" rule. Thanks!

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    From the letter of the law it is allowed, although I'm not setting an orange tip in that picture.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    AztdkMomAztdkMom Registered User regular
    Are there age limits on the tournaments?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not that I know of, regarding the pax run ones. Individual vendors may have their own restrictions. In general I would use the games' ratings as a guideline.

• Options
    Mr. JoelMr. Joel Registered User new member
    Feeling stupid but I can't find the list of exhibitors in the Expo Hall anywhere. Is that out?

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    Mr. Joel wrote: »
    Feeling stupid but I can't find the list of exhibitors in the Expo Hall anywhere. Is that out?

They have not released it just yet. Should be soon though.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    I figured this would be the best place to ask this:

The email that I registered when I purchased my tickets was a school email (my bad, I know). Well, apparently it's been shut-off. So, what is the best way to get my email address changed to a working one? Is there anyone that I can contact?

dkmbNgP.png
  • Options
    I figured this would be the best place to ask this:

The email that I registered when I purchased my tickets was a school email (my bad, I know). Well, apparently it's been shut-off. So, what is the best way to get my email address changed to a working one? Is there anyone that I can contact?
    you should be able to log in to https://www.showclix.com/my-tickets/login if you already set up a password. If you didn't, there's a link there for "need help signing in?" and you can probably create a support ticket there to help you.

In addition you might be able to get some help from pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Options
    SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Expo map is live in the ios app

qEGfoNG.png

• Options
    TegmundTegmund Registered User new member
    Some ticket sites (StubHub, Vivid Seats) claim to have PAX South tickets for Friday and Saturday (which are sold out on the official site). Is this likely to be a scam, or are they actually tickets?

• Options
    PAX does not speculate about the validity of badges that are not in attendees hands. They might be valid? They might not! There's no great way to tell without taking a leap of faith, I'm afraid. I think some of those sites offer refund guarantees for scams, but I don't really know much about them.

It's definitely possible someone bought them to resell, or bought them and then couldn't go and are trying to resell via one of those method. No guarantees, though.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Tickets have definitely been mailed out. So people reselling could very well have real ones. There is a Reddit for selling PAX badges at a very limited markup, you might want to check that out.

• Options
    MyEasyButtonMyEasyButton Registered User new member
    Hi guys,

I *think* I've found the answers to my Qs, but wanted to post up to confirm. I hope that's alright!

1) I'm from Canada and will be picking tickets up from the will call booth. If I look at the convention center map as part of the guide book app, do I go to "Registration", beside the Arena room? I'm thinking yes.

2) I read on paxguides.com that will call (registration) opens up at 8am Friday. Just wanted to confirm that time. I wish I could pick them up Thursday as I've done previously at Pax Prime, but my flight is arriving at night, so the morning it is!

Thanks in advance. :-)

MyEasyButton

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Hi guys,

I *think* I've found the answers to my Qs, but wanted to post up to confirm. I hope that's alright!

1) Yup, Registration is your Will-Call\Badge Pick Up spot.

2) Depending on how late you get in Friday, if your close you might swing by and see if Reg is still open. Sometimes they stay open a bit later then. But yes, generally they are open at 8am Friday, I'm not aware of a reason that would not be the case this South.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    cudacuda Registered User regular
    Is it ok to bring an acoustic guitar to jam around common areas, or is that highly frowned upon?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    cuda wrote: »
    Is it ok to bring an acoustic guitar to jam around common areas, or is that highly frowned upon?
    As long as you aren't busking or getting in the way of something or causing a disturbance, I don't see why not. The Doubleclicks and Molly Lewis have performed impromptu concerts before in the hallways of PAX East and PAX West. The main thing of which to be aware is if you end up drawing a crowd, make sure that you are somewhere that isn't causing congestion and if an enforcer asks you to relocate, comply. Also don't play near the AFK room.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    And no Stairway. Kappa

khd33hubozxv.png
  • Options
    PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    I'd like some clarification on opening times each day. I know the main doors open at 8am and you can start queuing for the expo hall and theaters which don't open until 10am, but if I wanted to sign up for any tournaments does that also not start until 10am? Do the freeplay areas not open until 10am as well? If I wanted to just walk around the convention center to scope it out (excluding the expo hall of course) can I do that before 10am or is the only thing I can do between 8am and 10am is just get in a queue line?

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I'd like some clarification on opening times each day. I know the main doors open at 8am and you can start queuing for the expo hall and theaters which don't open until 10am, but if I wanted to sign up for any tournaments does that also not start until 10am? Do the freeplay areas not open until 10am as well? If I wanted to just walk around the convention center to scope it out (excluding the expo hall of course) can I do that before 10am or is the only thing I can do between 8am and 10am is just get in a queue line?

tournament sign up and any free play do not start until 10:00 am. Basically since nothing opens until 10:00 the time before that is generally to queue up for something that will begin at 10:00

• Options
    Correct, the only things to do before 10am are to wait in line, hang out with other attendees, and go to Registration/Will-call

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    As long as you aren't busking or getting in the way of something or causing a disturbance, I don't see why not. The Doubleclicks and Molly Lewis have performed impromptu concerts before in the hallways of PAX East and PAX West. The main thing of which to be aware is if you end up drawing a crowd, make sure that you are somewhere that isn't causing congestion and if an enforcer asks you to relocate, comply. Also don't play near the AFK room.

Sounds good, understood.

Typically I chill outside wherever its ok to smoke and play some tunes, video game stuff and some dad rock mixed in haha. What follows is a typical exchange:

Random encounter "hey, nice guitar, can you play?"
    Me "no, I just like to carry around unnecessary items all day"
    Random "can you play freebird?"

Nobody gives me money ever so thats not an issue, and I doubt I will ever draw a crowd larger than 5 lol. If somehow I do end up with a ton of money I didnt ask for, there are always charities around that could use it, Im sure you agree.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Correct, the only things to do before 10am are to wait in line, hang out with other attendees, and go to Registration/Will-call

Merch Lite as well often opens about 9am ish.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »

Merch Lite as well often opens about 9am ish.
    see: "wait in line" <3

• Options
    MurfMurf Registered User regular

Means I get to sleep in on Saturday and Sunday? Great news!

• Options
    SkiddOrangeSkiddOrange Registered User new member
    So I know I'm really late, but because I had a lot to work out, I never got tickets. Will I still be able to attend Saturday and get tickets at the convention? Or do you have to have passes to even get in? I've been to a couple conventions before where you could just get tickets there, they're more expensive, but I was wondering if that was an option for PAX South?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    So I know I'm really late, but because I had a lot to work out, I never got tickets. Will I still be able to attend Saturday and get tickets at the convention? Or do you have to have passes to even get in? I've been to a couple conventions before where you could just get tickets there, they're more expensive, but I was wondering if that was an option for PAX South?

No, at PAX you need passes to get in. All official PAX events require one. But if you look around online you can probably find somebody selling Saturday's at a reasonable price.

• Options
    SkiddOrangeSkiddOrange Registered User new member
    YoungFrey wrote: »

No, at PAX you need passes to get in. All official PAX events require one. But if you look around online you can probably find somebody selling Saturday's at a reasonable price.

Yea I thought so, was looking at Reddit to see if I could find some since I need 3 for Saturday. Some people are selling them at face value which is nice, just a little anxious about getting ripped off is all. I don't suppose you'd have any advice on that would you? Assuming maybe you've bought convention tickets or something of the sort from a second party?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You don't need passes to step into the building; Info Booth and Registration are open to the public, but everything else requires a badge for entry.

What you can do is arrange for the sale to happen on-site and before handing over your money, have the passes checked at Info Booth to see if they're legit. Other than that, there are no guarantees that you are getting a legit pass.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Disregard this post.

Kirby4Life on
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    redstone wrote: »
    I will be attending a tournament at pax and I will bringing my own mouse due to my comfortability with it, but currently they stopped providing support for windows 7 so the config doesn't change on there. What operating system will the pax set computers be running?

make sure you let the pc tournament managers know about this early on. this is fairly non-standard.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    Hey Zerzhul, is there a magfest presents jamspace this year I can sign up and play at or is it closed to bands? I see some bands listing that as an alternative to the main events.

I could possibly provide some amps for backline.

• Options
    Hey Zerzhul, is there a magfest presents jamspace this year I can sign up and play at or is it closed to bands? I see some bands listing that as an alternative to the main events.

There is a jamspace, I believe, but I don't know what the management of it will look like. Usually jamspace is open to all comers excepting when there are scheduled things. I would check there Friday morning.

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular

Looks like it is pretty full up for the afternoons, but the mornings are free:

Friday:
    3:00-3:30 - Starfighter Dreams
    3:45-4:15 - Dual Core
    4:30-5:00 - Blip Boi
    5:15-5:45 - Broken Satellite
    6:00-6:30 - Bitforce
    6:45-7:30 - Megaran
    Saturday
    1:00-1:30 - B-Knox
    1:45-2:15 - Ohm-I
    2:30-3:00 - Ten Pixels Tall
    3:15-3:45 - Galaxy Tour Guides
    4:00-4:30 - Float
    4:45-5:15 - Sirenstar
    5:30-6:15 - Descendants of Erdrick
    6:30-7:15 - EyeQ
    7:15-8:00 - DJ ROCKMAN
    Sunday
    1:00-1:30 - Amanda Lepre
    1:45-2:15 - Jen the Rose
    2:30-3:00 - Blip Boi & Broken Satellite
    3:15-3:45 - Johnny Hacknslash
    4:00-5:00 - DJ ROCKMAN

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    also free at night it looks like. As with the rest of things that aren't expo hall, it should be open until midnight.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Thanks mates. Looks full (and full of awesome) already. Maybe I can find an opening, but looks like my schedule wont align, besides who wants to hear the doom/quake/metal gear sound tracks unplugged anyway?

Regardless, the crowd sure wont be lacking in the awesome music jam out arena this year.

I'll plug for an old bandmate though, go see Jen the Rose. or else.

cuda on
  • Options
    PreacherChePreacherChe Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Is the @Official_PAX auto-tweet of "% complete" still a thing at PAXen? Last thing I want to be reminded of while there is that the awesome experience will end soon. :) The vast majority of replies I've seen to these tweets are requests to please stop. I really hope last year saw the last of these, else I'll be unfollowing Official_PAX at least over next weekend. (I asked the same of Official_PAX on twitter, but figured I'd also check here.)

PreacherChe on
    f71belxn5ee5.png
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Is the @Official_PAX auto-tweet of "% complete" still a thing at PAXen? Last thing I want to be reminded of while there is that the awesome experience will end soon. :) The vast majority of replies I've seen to these tweets are requests to please stop. I really hope last year saw the last of these, else I'll be unfollowing Official_PAX at least over next weekend. (I asked the same of Official_PAX on twitter, but figured I'd also check here.)

They definitely still did it during West last year.

• Options
    It's incredibly likely it will continue.

• Options
    TirMcGreyTirMcGrey Registered User new member
    Hello, is it possible that someone else can pick up my Pax South tickets I never received through the mail at the Will Call this Thursday? I will be unable to attend myself and would rather not let the 2 3-day passes go to waste.

This discussion has been closed.