As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    A-SWITCH-1.jpg?resize=768%2C431

This picture makes those neon controllers look even better. Glad I ordered that one!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Bomberman and Tetris, and others, are games that the developers just can't seem to get it quite right. I don't want a story mode or all kinds of crazy modes. I don't need voice acting. I don't want those games to be "new". I want a bare-bones multiplayer mode that controls well and looks nice enough, a la the stand-alone Kirby 3DS multiplayer stuff. Let me connect with friends and duke it out, for cheap. That is all I want. At like $10 I'd buy them for every console. Maybe I am crazy, but it seems that phone games often understand this idea perfectly well and are better for it. Some games don't need to to try to justify a $$$ pricetag.

Yeah. I wish I could find my copy of Tetris DS. That was a really good implementation of basic Tetris. I mean, it had other game modes too, but the basic Tetris mode was really solid.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Bomberman and Tetris, and others, are games that the developers just can't seem to get it quite right. I don't want a story mode or all kinds of crazy modes. I don't need voice acting. I don't want those games to be "new". I want a bare-bones multiplayer mode that controls well and looks nice enough, a la the stand-alone Kirby 3DS multiplayer stuff. Let me connect with friends and duke it out, for cheap. That is all I want. At like $10 I'd buy them for every console. Maybe I am crazy, but it seems that phone games often understand this idea perfectly well and are better for it. Some games don't need to to try to justify a $$$ pricetag.

Yeah. I wish I could find my copy of Tetris DS. That was a really good implementation of basic Tetris. I mean, it had other game modes too, but the basic Tetris mode was really solid.

The Tetris Multiplayer in Tetris DS is what I think of when I want "Good Basic + Multiplayer". I think it technically had items too? But whatever my point stands, it didn't get crazy.

Tetris DS was just uncommonly good and if all of these Classic-Games-Turned-New put as much care and polish in their presentation I probably wouldn't feel so negative towards them.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I liked the musou where you could unlock the Ninja Gaiden characters and I got to run around as Rachel and slaughter the heck out of thousands of mooks. Also there was a dragon or something and some boring Chinese dudes.

Before that I liked the Gundam one.

I am not well versed in the genre. :)

You couldn't play as Rachel in Musou Stars. I'm pretty sure you couldn't. I only know this as an undying Ninja Gaiden fanboy.

You could play as Ryu Hayabusa, or Kasumi though.

Looking it up, it appears to have been Warriors Orochi 3, which got a WiiU release so maybe we'll see any possible sequels on the Switch. It had a huge cast of guest characters including the Ninja Gaiden characters, some DoA, even Sophitia from Soul Calibur I think.

Yeah, it had to be Warriors Orochi 3. Warriors Orochi's thing was that it brought a ton of their characters together in an alternate universe ruled by Orochi, whom they had to face if they wanted to get back home. So they could have a lot of fun with the cross-overs. And Warriors Orochi 3, especially by the time they did Ultimate, went crazy with the roster.

(Musou Stars started as a Warriors Orochi game but then they cut down the roster so they could 'focus more on each individual character that they included' which is speak for 'we don't want to make a game with more than 145 characters that we also have to apply new movesets to')

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky The Prime 20% discount applies to the first two weeks of a game's release

Wait on reviews!

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Muramasa looks wonderful. Translation left something to be desired.
    Both of them? I know the Wii one was butchered, which was a shame because it was originally being localized by XseeD but for undisclosed reasons was then given to Ignition Entertainment.

Apparently the Vita version is more flowery and true to the original text. Although for some reason they translated the sword names so you get stuff like Kuromistu blade being translated as "Dark Resurrection Sword"

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky The Prime 20% discount applies to the first two weeks of a game's release

Wait on reviews!

Good to know! I don't know a ton about Prime because I just use my family's account on rare occasions.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Both of them? I know the Wii one was butchered, which was a shame because it was originally being localized by XseeD but for undisclosed reasons was then given to Ignition Entertainment.

I don't know much about the Vita version. The Wii translation is just about functional, but it's pretty damn bland and lacking in any personality, and even had one or two spelling and grammar errors that I can recall.

edzepp on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I don't know much about the Vita version. The Wii translation is just about functional, but it's pretty damn bland and lacking in any personality, and even had one or two spelling and grammar errors that I can recall.

Everything about the Vita version was redone. Even the combat.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Re: phone app my dream right now is that getting a phone call doesn't interrupt voice chat at all so we all get to listen in on team members' conversations with their cable providers

Personally, I want it to just dump my mom's call straight into the PA Wang voice chat.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Wait on reviews!

Good to know! I don't know a ton about Prime because I just use my family's account on rare occasions.

Amazon also lets you link accounts so if like, mom has a prime account and everyone else has their own amazon accounts, you can link them together and share the benefits. Which is handy for a number of reasons.

But yeah the discount applies after. Especially for Bomberman, I'd suggest waiting for reviews. Although I love me some Bomberman.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Wait on reviews!

Amazon also lets you link accounts so if like, mom has a prime account and everyone else has their own amazon accounts, you can link them together and share the benefits. Which is handy for a number of reasons.

But yeah the discount applies after. Especially for Bomberman, I'd suggest waiting for reviews. Although I love me some Bomberman.

...What? Linking accounts to share prime you say?

I should look into this more.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I am pretty sure I have the gray but the pic at the totp is the first time i feel like I won't mind if I have the colored instead. usually I am anal about trying to have the plain/default/whatever but those look quite good actually.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think I'm almost talking myself back into buying this at release or pretty soon after.

Even assuming a hypothetical and optimistic pre-Christmas sale of say $400AUD with a pack in game (I'm gonna say 1, 2, Switch), that would save me $140 over buying them at release - and while 12S isn't something I'd rush out to buy, I'd probably get it at some point after the fun we've had with Nintendo Land.

There's no way I'm waiting until then to get BotW, so I'll have dropped (again, optimistically) $65 if one of the retailers do a decent special on the Wii U version, which I'll no doubt re-buy for the Switch, and we all know Nintendo games rarely drop in price so the Switch version is unlikely to be any cheaper by then.

I don't think it's worth the wait to save $75.

Now to convince my fiancee....

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't know how bold this claim really is, but I expect a Mario bundle this Christmas.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I preordered mine knowing if I decided against keeping it I could sell it in the first week for +$150 what it costs.

No I don't.
  • Options
    None of the retailers in AU seem to have sold out yet, so that's not an option for me.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    I think I'm almost talking myself back into buying this at release or pretty soon after.

Even assuming a hypothetical and optimistic pre-Christmas sale of say $400AUD with a pack in game (I'm gonna say 1, 2, Switch), that would save me $140 over buying them at release - and while 12S isn't something I'd rush out to buy, I'd probably get it at some point after the fun we've had with Nintendo Land.

There's no way I'm waiting until then to get BotW, so I'll have dropped (again, optimistically) $65 if one of the retailers do a decent special on the Wii U version, which I'll no doubt re-buy for the Switch, and we all know Nintendo games rarely drop in price so the Switch version is unlikely to be any cheaper by then.

It's not necessarily gonna drop price in Australia. I got my Premium Wii U for $370AU for a launch special at K-Mart in 2012. It's now 2017 and most places still sell it for $430AU.

Australia never got the $350US -> $300US price cut that happened in late 2013.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

I mean, yes

but I also want another Bomberman 64 so

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »

It's not necessarily gonna drop price in Australia. I got my Premium Wii U for $370AU for a launch special at K-Mart in 2012. It's now 2017 and most places still sell it for $430AU.

Australia never got the $350US -> $300US price cut that happened in late 2013.

Yeah, I picked one up when Splatoon launched and think it was about $330 then so not a big drop.

Realistically the main reason I'm not jumping straight in is saving for the wedding in November, after that I'll be all over it.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    In order to get your multiplayer on, you'll get your Switch ready, then get out your phone for setting up a lobby/chat? I'm not sure they're using 'elegant' correctly. The whole thing seems baffling. I wonder if they're squeezed for space with the on-board storage, so they offloaded as much as possible to the phone.

I think the omission of the microphone might also have to do with the docking mode. There are configurations where the player is simply out of range doesn't matter where the hypothetically location of the mic is.

In the dock > player is 1,5m or more away
    In the joycons > player might be playing a game with motion controls (the new Arms game comes to mind)

The best solution would have been if they added the mic to the device (top or bottom), added it in the pro controller and disabled it on the device if docked and offered BT headset connectivity.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Edit: Never mind. Spambot gone.

edzepp on
  • Options
    TUmBr5Y.gif

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/156112820244
    Famitsu: What point leaves the most impression to you?

Kenichiro Takaki: It’s the HD Rumble after all. Because I want to express “softness” with it. I already created a project, and now I’m in the middle of focusing on how to realise it. I think games have a “sensation of touching” in many meanings, so I want to realise a new experience that ’s exclusive to Nintendo Switch.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Kenichiro Takaki: It’s the HD Rumble after all. Because I want to express “softness” with it. I already created a project, and now I’m in the middle of focusing on how to realise it. I think games have a “sensation of touching” in many meanings, so I want to realise a new experience that ’s exclusive to Nintendo Switch.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Senran Kagura Switch confirmed.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I went ahead and preordered Bomberman myself now that I know the price. So now Zelda from GameStop, Switch from Best Buy, and Bomberman from Amazon. I hope all of them arrive properly on March 3rd.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited January 2017

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

truly this is what hd rumble was made for

I have to assume it's not that precise, but again, I'm interested in the applications, even the simple ones.

edzepp on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have to assume it's not that precise, but again, I'm interested in the applications, even the simple ones.

Well... LaurakBuzz already compared the cow milking 1,2 Switch game to the feeling of jerking someone off.

So if the switch can emulate male sexual organs, maybe it can emulate female ones too. :snap:

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Kotaku sent in some questions to Nintendo, sounds like miis will have more facial choices and more skin/hair colors

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well... LaurakBuzz already compared the cow milking 1,2 Switch game to the feeling of jerking someone off.

So if the switch can emulate male sexual organs, maybe it can stimulate female ones too. :snap:

I mean, it's got HD rumble...

LD50 on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    On a more serious note, I am wondering what Nintendo is doing reguarding the App things. You're going to need a iOS/Android device to use core features.

Voice chat? It's via a smartphone app. Which means you can't possibly have headphones on for both game audio and voice audio, which is extremely problematic for anything multiplayer outside of a noise controlled house or if you even want to be polite to family members.

Matchmaking and online play? It's all managed through a smartphone app and not through the games themselves. Play multiplayer? Gonna have to have your phone constantly tethered to you even when you're at home, juggling two devices at once.

Video apps like Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Crunchyroll, sports networks, etc? They're not going to be on the Switch and there's no current plans or dates on them. Nintendo figures you're going to use your smartphone for those too.

So... here's the big questions:
    1. Are they just abandoining selling to all markets that don't have a 100% smartphone ownership presense?
    2. What about people with flip phones?
    3. Are they making a Windows Phone app too? Or is it just going to be iOS/Android?
    4. What about children? A parent's going to have to let their child borrow their smart device (hahahahaha, no), or constantly monitor and control 100% of their online play if the kid doesn't have their own?
    5. Does Nintendo think people have three hands again to hold the Switch/Controller in two hands and a smartphone/tablet in the third?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    as it's presented, I fully expect that online play for nintendo games will be practically nonexistent.

Even if it works well, it's still going to be a chore.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    On a more serious note, I am wondering what Nintendo is doing reguarding the App things. You're going to need a iOS/Android device to use core features.

Voice chat? It's via a smartphone app. Which means you can't possibly have headphones on for both game audio and voice audio, which is extremely problematic for anything multiplayer outside of a noise controlled house or if you even want to be polite to family members.

Matchmaking and online play? It's all managed through a smartphone app and not through the games themselves. Play multiplayer? Gonna have to have your phone constantly tethered to you even when you're at home, juggling two devices at once.

Video apps like Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Crunchyroll, sports networks, etc? They're not going to be on the Switch and there's no current plans or dates on them. Nintendo figures you're going to use your smartphone for those too.

So... here's the big questions:
    1. Are they just abandoining selling to all markets that don't have a 100% smartphone ownership presense?
    2. What about people with flip phones?
    3. Are they making a Windows Phone app too? Or is it just going to be iOS/Android?
    4. What about children? A parent's going to have to let their child borrow their smart device (hahahahaha, no), or constantly monitor and control 100% of their online play if the kid doesn't have their own?
    5. Does Nintendo think people have three hands again to hold the Switch/Controller in two hands and a smartphone/tablet in the third?

I think whether this was the intention or a happy accident that Nintendo, as a company, sees this one as a positive and not a negative. The corporate culture there is highly protective of children.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Beyond the existence of Miis (looks like I was all kinds of wrong on that), here's what Reggie confirmed to Kotaku:

--no backward compatibility at all, though using older controllers might be an option in the future
    --game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card
    --Miiverse was canned in favor of people using the other huge social platforms
    --Miis can be sent wirelessly through Switch systems, or through a Mii Amiibo
    --Miis no longer have creator, birthday, favorites, copying and "public" attributes
    --"support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update"

Stuff Reggie refused to answer:

--if Switch connects to Wii U and 3DS accounts
    --if Switch is is compatible with existing Virtual Console purchases
    --if Switch's VC will start from scratch or bring over the library from Wii U and 3DS
    --how SNES online functionality will work and what games are supported
    --whether there's a trophy or achievement system

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Beyond the existence of Miis (looks like I was all kinds of wrong on that), here's what Reggie confirmed to Kotaku:

--no backward compatibility at all, though using older controllers might be an option in the future
    --game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card
    --Miis no longer have creator, birthday, favorites, copying and "public" attributes
    --"support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update"

--if Switch's VC will start from scratch or bring over the library from Wii U and 3DS

I will answer those last ones

no
    no
    yes followed by no
    ????
    no

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Reading this morning that apparently when Nintendo sold us some of its old NES/SNES games on the Wii, they just straight up sold people a ROM. Like they just went to an emulation site, downloaded the ROMs of their own games, then put them up for sale. Inspecting the game data on the Wii apparently revealed lines of code that only exist in ripped ROMs, and even match ROMs that have been on the internet for years.

Nintendo is just too cute!

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    Reading this morning that apparently when Nintendo sold us some of its old NES/SNES games on the Wii, they just straight up sold people a ROM. Like they just went to an emulation site, downloaded the ROMs of their own games, then put them up for sale. Inspecting the game data on the Wii apparently revealed lines of code that only exist in ripped ROMs, and even match ROMs that have been on the internet for years.

What does that mean it only exists in ripped ROMs? Aren't ROMs just the game data copied onto a drive? What is a non-ripped ROM?

sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Even if true... How is it a bad thing?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The most significant thing is the one you left out: your eShop region is determined by the region of the currently logged in user, and Switch has room for 8 users. You could theoretically create another Nintendo account for access to other eShop regional games, or possibly change the country of your primary account (which is possible).

This has been known since 2008, I'm not sure why it's making the rounds all of a sudden. Guess it didn't make waves at the time. Some VC games have standard iNES headers originally developed by the emulation community so that emulators can launch them in a consistent way.

What does that mean it only exists in ripped ROMs? Aren't ROMs just the game data copied onto a drive? What is a non-ripped ROM?
    It means that the data is stuff that you will only see in previously-ripped ROMs, because the rippers added the information to help aid emulators in how to handle the ROM. iNES standard specification info, the header is the data that is added whole cloth to otherwise pure ROMs. The NES does not need this kind of information because it handles it on a hardware level.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, if anyone is legally entitled to the download, it's Nintendo.

This discussion has been closed.