As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't really be upset that nintendo sold something that was already theirs

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    WordLust wrote: »
    Reading this morning that apparently when Nintendo sold us some of its old NES/SNES games on the Wii, they just straight up sold people a ROM. Like they just went to an emulation site, downloaded the ROMs of their own games, then put them up for sale. Inspecting the game data on the Wii apparently revealed lines of code that only exist in ripped ROMs, and even match ROMs that have been on the internet for years.

Nintendo is just too cute!

Even if true... How is it a bad thing?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just a little funny to rail against piracy/game preservation (e.g., ripping ROMs for distribution) and then turning around and selling that work so you don't have to do it yourselves.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Reading this morning that apparently when Nintendo sold us some of its old NES/SNES games on the Wii, they just straight up sold people a ROM. Like they just went to an emulation site, downloaded the ROMs of their own games, then put them up for sale. Inspecting the game data on the Wii apparently revealed lines of code that only exist in ripped ROMs, and even match ROMs that have been on the internet for years.

Even if true... How is it a bad thing?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just a little funny to rail against piracy (e.g., ripping ROMs for distribution) and then turning around and selling that work so you don't have to do it yourselves.

well sure, but they already did the lions share by creating the game in the first place.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    You could make the argument that they probably felt they were entitled to save themselves the time and effort of doing it themselves on the back of people who were stealing from them anyway.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kind of puts the lie to how much work is put into VC releases if they're literally just surfing over to the Pirate Bay and then going to lunch...

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Nintendo makes fluffy games but their business end is one of the most savagely aggressive operated entertainment powerhouses in the world.

People surprised by this is almost like when I discovered Santa wasn't real, reality just hits hard. lol.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    Kind of puts the lie to how much work is put into VC releases if they're literally just surfing over to the Pirate Bay and then going to lunch...

Not really? I mean they made the emulator. I'd be upset if the emulator had oss code in it or whatever, hence which I'll never buy a hyperkin, but they made the emulator and test each game with it and tweak it to fix bugs. That's the majority of the work in a release. the ripping of the rom is nothing.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

It's the just the ROM that plays the game though. They need to get the Emulator working correctly and they need a QA person to play test the game.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Matchmaking and online play? It's all managed through a smartphone app and not through the games themselves.

I'm pretty confident this isn't true. Lobbies and getting into groups with friends, yes, that's in the app. Basic matchmaking with randoms, just playing online at all, no.

Their site about online features is pretty clear on this point:

3R9tmGL.png?1

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Honestly, I don't want my Switch to be constantly reading for push notifications and chat/voice anyway - that would drain the battery so fucking fast.

They made the entire console portable, it's no surprise they are trying to offload as much as they can.

• WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular

What does that mean it only exists in ripped ROMs? Aren't ROMs just the game data copied onto a drive? What is a non-ripped ROM?

By analogy, let's look at it in terms of Metallica.

Metallica, like Nintendo, have always been very stern and litigious about people pirating their stuff.

Imagine, then, that Metallica sold a "greatest hits" album and it was discovered that, even though Metallica has access to their own original masters, all they did was download their own songs off of Napstar and Limewire, burn them onto a CD and sold them.

It's not so much an issue that they did anything ethically wrong. It's their own music. But it kinda also gives the impression that they're not even fucking trying.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    --game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card

This is 100% done for security reasons. Lots of 3DS homebrew enabling hacks have used modified game save data to open the first door.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    I'd be fine with that

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Matchmaking and online play? It's all managed through a smartphone app and not through the games themselves.

I'm pretty confident this isn't true. Lobbies and getting into groups with friends, yes, that's in the app. Basic matchmaking with randoms, just playing online at all, no.

Their site about online features is pretty clear on this point:

3R9tmGL.png?1

From Reggie himself.
    Reggie wrote:
    The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

Of course, the headset thing is pure bullshit PR Talk considering that $10-15 earbuds with attached microphones are ubiquitous.

vagrant_winds on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't want my Switch to be constantly reading for push notifications and chat/voice anyway - that would drain the battery so fucking fast.

They made the entire console portable, it's no surprise they are trying to offload as much as they can.

Huh. Maybe that's the real reason they pushed chat to an app.

Is there any precedent on how much battery burn a voice app does to a portable device?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited January 2017
    --game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card

This is 100% done for security reasons. Lots of 3DS homebrew enabling hacks have used modified game save data to open the first door.

Does this mean I can't backup save data?

edit: because after replacing a bunch of Wiis and (refusing) a Wii U, I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the case

Xaquin on
    I can't pull charts atm, but wifi + voip stuff eats batteries because the biggest drain is the wifi constantly confirming connection.

Is there any precedent on how much battery burn a voice app does to a portable device?

Considering the PS Vita, not much at all. The system has in-game voice chat for nearly all multiplayer games and Party-chat cross-platform with the PS4 (Sony's Party chat had it's debut on the Vita before the PS4 came out) and it doesn't drain the battery any more than playing the games themselves do.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I can't pull charts atm, but wifi + voip stuff eats batteries because the biggest drain is the wifi constantly confirming connection.

But if you're already playing online it seems like voip doesn't add significantly to the burn - it's only increasing the data rate at that point.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Xaquin wrote: »

edit: because after replacing a bunch of Wiis and (refusing) a Wii U, I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the case

Unless they do a cloud-save data backup like Sony and Microsoft do, we're all fucked on on backups.

Considering the PS Vita, not much at all. The system has in-game voice chat for nearly all multiplayer games and Party-chat cross-platform with the PS4 (Sony's Party chat had it's debut on the Vita before the PS4 came out) and it doesn't drain the battery any more than playing the games themselves do.

Well, energy isn't magical, consumption is consumption. If it uses 'no more than' games do, it's still using 'more' when it's being used.

Xaquin wrote: »

Unless they do a cloud-save data backup like Sony and Microsoft do, we're all fucked on on backups.

no other company really hits the highs and lows quite like nintendo

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Oh boy, that Reggie quote is going to get tossed around a bit.

Interpret as you will, but I still say that was Reggie not getting what matchmaking is. I'm not even sure that 'matchmaking', as in, the basic process of the Switch finding other people to play with, is something that could be handled by an app.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A-SWITCH-1.jpg?resize=768%2C431

I mean, here you have a pretty standard MK8 lobby. OK, this was at an event and it's probably more of a LAN, but that functionality is already baked in there. In this case, I'm taking the word of their fairly black and white website over Reggie saying words.

edzepp on

Well, energy isn't magical, consumption is consumption. If it uses 'no more than' games do, it's still using 'more' when it's being used.

You're already playing online. It's just more data being sent at that point.

From Reggie himself.
    Reggie wrote:
    The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

Of course, the headset thing is pure bullshit PR Talk considering that $10-15 earbuds with attached microphones are ubiquitous.

Yeah, he misspoke. He means that's how you "make your matches" with friends, not joining groups with randoms.

I would bet actual money that you can play online with randoms without the app.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2017

You're already playing online. It's just more data being sent at that point.

And that data costs cycles and energy. This all is based on basic optimization of Nintendo's software. At the end of the day if you're cutting EVERY corner you can, it makes sense they would dump it.

But I personally don't think it's a power issue as much as it is Nintendo just rushing the Switch production.

(Realistically, they did most likely did A/B testing and found that most people are ok with a 3rd party app for the tools)

HallowedFaith on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, Frank Cifaldi gave a talk on the rom/emulation thing awhile back at GDC. For some reason it's being picked up again. Here's the talk:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWY7fCXUwE

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

What does that mean it only exists in ripped ROMs? Aren't ROMs just the game data copied onto a drive? What is a non-ripped ROM?

Metallica, like Nintendo, have always been very stern and litigious about people pirating their stuff.

Imagine, then, that Metallica sold a "greatest hits" album and it was discovered that, even though Metallica has access to their own original masters, all they did was download their own songs off of Napstar and Limewire, burn them onto a CD and sold them.

It's not so much an issue that they did anything ethically wrong. It's their own music. But it kinda also gives the impression that they're not even fucking trying.

This is exactly the kind of post I wasn't looking for, I had a specific question. I can make up my own opinions, thanks.

sig.gif
    From Reggie himself.
    Reggie wrote:

Yeah, he misspoke. He means that's how you "make your matches" with friends, not joining groups with randoms.

I would bet actual money that you can play online with randoms without the app.

Hopefully you're right so it's slightly less asinie, but I'll take official word before I hear otherwise.

I consider plain text on their site to be more official word than a PR mouthpiece who might get his terminology mixed up once in the course of dozens of interviews in a single day.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    6 weeks

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular

This is exactly the kind of post I wasn't looking for, I had a specific question. I can make up my own opinions, thanks.

????

Sorry for answering your question.

Jesus, f*** this thread then.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

To be fair you didn't answer his question at all, lol.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

The roms have a header that is added to them when ripped to make them easier for emulators to recognize. If Nintendo had done it themselves with their own software, they wouldn't have this header added.

There's no such thing as a non-ripped rom, but Nintendo didn't rip them is the point. They downloaded them off the Internet.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

The have a header that fans created that exists as a table-of-contents of sorts for fan-made emulators to read the games correctly. This is because NES games have two rom chips.

The eShop roms match this fan-made header style exactly down to the very syntax. It's not Nintendo's own version.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The only problem I have with Nintendo using downloaded roms is that they're downloading these things off of the internet. Who knows if those roms have been modified. People patch roms for various reasons; is the version of the game I'm buying off of the e-shop even an authentic unmodified copy of the game?

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Trying to look at the online situation positively, in all likelihood not much is going to change for me. I already don't bother playing Wii U games online so it's not like I'm losing something there. The only shame is Animal Crossing, which my mom is an ardent player of. She already declared there's no way she'll pay for online. She doesn't care about additional perks of the service. Hopefully the subscription is cheap and she changes her tune. After all, if there's a new game for Switch she might have difficulty resisting.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    LD50 wrote: »
    The only problem I have with Nintendo using downloaded roms is that they're downloading these things off of the internet. Who knows if those roms have been modified. People patch roms for various reasons; is the version of the game I'm buying off of the e-shop even an authentic unmodified copy of the game?

nintendo does seeing as how it's their game =P

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    LD50 wrote: »

I guess I could see that. Although I'm sure it's nothing as drastic, I've read somewhere that the most popular ROM for Oregon Trail spread across the internet is not a "clean" copy, but has tombstones and leftover data from previous plays. You aren't getting a legitimate new game experience when you load it up.

ThePantsAssociation on
    I am sure nintendo has access to all the checksum data from the proper ROMS and can check them against it.

This discussion has been closed.