As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I needs me a laptop, please help me pick

brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
Okay.
Let me star tout (Ha, Star Tout) by saying that I am not that tech savvy. I know when it comes to Gigs more is better and better processing makes it run faster, but thats about it.

I am graduating soon and am in the market to buy a laptop for graphic design and home use proposes. It needs to be able to run Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, and maybe After Effects, Multipule programs at once), and have internet capabilities. I know I can run those programs on any computer but I have no Idea how much space they take up.

I am not interested in using it for gaming or other functions and I have about $600 to $700 to spend and was hoping to cash in on holiday deals.

What should I be looking for specs wise?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

brokecracker on

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    in that price range this is all that immediately comes to mind http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostronb_1500?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab upgraded to the 1.6 ghz core 2 duo processor, comes out to 655ish + tax

i'm sure people will come out of the woodwork screaming mac in a few minutes, but your not going to find a macbook for 700

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He'll find a nice PowerBook for that though, which knocks the shit out of that Dell and will handle at least the next 3 years of Adobe and Apple updates.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    He'll find a nice PowerBook for that though, which knocks the shit out of that Dell and will handle at least the next 3 years of Adobe and Apple updates.

that..that is wrong on so many levels...The fastest consumer available G4 Processors didn't come close to as 1.6 C2D's performance, their ram is quite a bit slower, and the video card is laughable, even compared to the vostros 8400m GS

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Try looking at the HP dv2500t, Dell Vostro 1500 (with coupons) or a Sony Vaio NR

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, uh, don't listen to this guy he is full of shit.

Azio on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a PowerBook G4 (latest one right before the first MacBook Pros came out) with a gig of ram, and Photoshop CS3 lags a bit.

See if you can find a refurbished or used MacBook off Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, it's perfect for your needs.

Off dealmac.com: $749 Refurb Macbook

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    First, A big thanks to everyone who posted! I really didn't want to come off as "I don't know anything but plan to shoot down all of your suggestions" guy. I looked at the link and checked out the mentioned laptops.

The HP looks swanky as fuck but I don't think I need some of the extras I would be paying for there.
    The Dells you two recommended look like what I am leaning towards.
    The Macs are something I will aspire towards but am not ready to drop that heavy of coin on.

Thanks to everyone.

What GB range should I look for. 120-160?
    Is there anything I should rule out in general?
    Also weight and appearance mean dick to me, I just want something that works.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't work much with image files or modelling, but I hear the files tend to be pretty big overall. If that's the case, it never hurts to have extra space. But external drives are getting cheaper and smaller as time goes on, so that's also an option (getting the smaller hard drive internally to save some money now, and picking up a small external one later on when you need it).

I'd say you should take into account the file space needed for all of your programs and files, and what you really need to keep on your computer at one time before deciding on what size you should get. Just my opinion on hard drive space. Hope it helps more than harms!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    gneGne wrote: »
    Try looking at the HP dv2500t, Dell Vostro 1500 (with coupons) or a Sony Vaio NR

If you go HP:

30% off $999 HP Pavilion Notebook PCs coupon code NB3075 [Exp 12/8]

BubbaT on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    First, A big thanks to everyone who posted! I really didn't want to come off as "I don't know anything but plan to shoot down all of your suggestions" guy. I looked at the link and checked out the mentioned laptops.

The HP looks swanky as fuck but I don't think I need some of the extras I would be paying for there.
    The Macs are something I will aspire towards but am not ready to drop that heavy of coin on.

Thanks to everyone.

For graphics stuff it's mac every single time, since you don't care for games then get a Macbook.

I own both a Macbook (I really should get around to selling this) and Macbook Pro, for a laptop I actually prefer the Macbook over the Pro as it's the more portable. The only real difference between the two is the graphics chipsets, you will notice no difference in desktop performance between the two.

The reason I own a Macbook Pro? Games.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2007

ben0207fu7.png

I can't believe nobody pointed this out.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    :D!

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Thanks to everyone.

For graphics stuff it's mac every single time, since you don't care for games then get a Macbook.

I own both a Macbook (I really should get around to selling this) and Macbook Pro, for a laptop I actually prefer the Macbook over the Pro as it's the more portable. The only real difference between the two is the graphics chipsets, you will notice no difference in desktop performance between the two.

I thought since Mac switched to Intel chips, the whole image editing superiority thing has really become moot. I mean, everything you can get on Mac, you can get on a PC, and you can't argue processors anymore.

At least, that's what I've gathered. I could be wrong though. *shrug*

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Processors and Operating Systems are two different worlds.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Get a Santa Rosa laptop. It doesn't matter if it's a regular PC or a Mac. (hint: I'd rather you save for the Mac, that extra $300 goes a VERY long way especially if it breaks.)

Why Santa Rosa? Besides the incremental FSB bandwidth that means dick, you can load it with 4GBs of RAM. (Older laptops won't let you because of a technical limitation) If you are serious about Photoshop, you'll need RAM. LOTS of it.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Thanks to everyone.

I thought since Mac switched to Intel chips, the whole image editing superiority thing has really become moot. I mean, everything you can get on Mac, you can get on a PC, and you can't argue processors anymore.

At least, that's what I've gathered. I could be wrong though. *shrug*
    There is nothing a Macbook can do, graphics-wise or photoshop-wise, that an equivalently-configured PC can't, aside from costing you $400-500 more than you're willing to spend. My understanding is that Adobe software actually performs better under Windows so this whole line of Macs being better than PCs for "graphics stuff" is complete fucking bullshit, just like most of the other things Mac fans will tell you.

Macs look nice and come with a lot of exclusive software that you might like. They are generally smaller than equivalent PCs. That's pretty much the whole story on Macs. If you don't want to shell out an extra $400-500 for a Macbook, as they do start at $1099, then just get a cheap PC laptop, because the Macbook is probably not worth the extra money.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    snip

Ok, so I'm not totally on crack then. Good to know.

By the way, as for personal computer experience, Dell has pretty solid customer support. While it was a couple of years ago, my notebook's fan coolant began to break down really early, and Dell sent someone to my college dorm to fix it for free.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ROFISH wrote: »
    Get a Santa Rosa laptop. It doesn't matter if it's a regular PC or a Mac. (hint: I'd rather you save for the Mac, that extra $300 goes a VERY long way especially if it breaks.

What the hell are you talking about? One of the very few things Consumer Reports advises people to get warranties on is Apple laptops because they're damn expensive to fix if they break. Don't give me some bullshit about how the Mac is less likely to need repairs, because the data doesn't back that up.

I'm really sick of people in laptop threads who keep pressuring people to get Macs even when they say they don't want them. There should be rules against that kind of shit, because it's annoying and doesn't help anybody. The thing I hate about my Mac, is how god damn irritating and snobby the Mac community can be.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hey Guys!

Once again a big thanks for all the info and posts!

Let me say something about the Mac/PC thing. I have a PC at home and work, but also use Macs at school in design classes. Having used them both for seven years I can honestly say that I might be the only person who does not care about which one I am using. I am familiar with the way they both operate and don't have a problem getting either to do what I want them to do.

Obviously this is going to boil down to a price issue here. While I have a graphic design job (Local Television Station) I am not really diving around in money. With car problems and student loans I just need something that I can travel with and still operate well.

The current computer I use is a HP pavilion a320n and anything might be a step up from this thing.

Not to be a prick but I don't want this tread to be hijacked into a Mac/PC dick measuring contest, not that it has been yet, but it is going there.

I graduate in eight days and then I will tell you all how the hunt goes form there. I plan on buying it with graduation money, which I don't have yet, so I'm kind of counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.

I do think I might be able to haggle because I can walk into the store and pull out cash and pay there, but
    I'm not sure if electronic stores haggle at all.

Any suggestions on stores?

brokecracker on
This discussion has been closed.