As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am sure nintendo has access to all the checksum data from the proper ROMS and can check them against it.

well I mean, if they have a checksum, they would have to have the original ROM's to have created the checksum, and if they have the original roms, they don't need to download roms......

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I am sure nintendo has access to all the checksum data from the proper ROMS and can check them against it.

well I mean, if they have a checksum, they would have to have the original ROM's to have created the checksum, and if they have the original roms, they don't need to download roms......

Not necessarily. I could see a situation where they have certian development inf in an old database somewhere. Not the roms but other stuff.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    What does that mean it only exists in ripped ROMs? Aren't ROMs just the game data copied onto a drive? What is a non-ripped ROM?

To be fair you didn't answer his question at all, lol.

The have a header that fans created that exists as a table-of-contents of sorts for fan-made emulators to read the games correctly. This is because NES games have two rom chips.

The eShop roms match this fan-made header style exactly down to the very syntax. It's not Nintendo's own version.

Well, there's a little more to it than that. I could probably bore people about this subject because I've programmed for the NES before (in a homebrew capacity).

The start of the header is especially a giveaway because it begins with ASCII for N E S, and then the character for MS-DOS end-of-file, which Nintendo would've never done.

The NES has what we call PRG ROM for storing programming data, and can have varying amounts of it depending on how the cartridge is configured, and it can either have CHR ROM which is like bitmaps of existing graphics you can swap in and out in big chunks, or CHR RAM which is writable RAM that you have to draw to in real time, decompressing from the programming banks, after which it can be copied to the screen same as CHR ROM. As far as I know, every system after the NES including Game Boy used nothing but graphics RAM, the graphic bank concept was a unique idea.

It can also have PRG RAM/SRAM, which is 8 kB of battery backed save data (which is incredibly roomy for the NES, which only has 2 kB of actual RAM for like, everything).

All this stuff is identified in the header, whether it is present and how much of it is there.

Also whether the cartridge uses horizontal or vertical mirroring, which is important...the NES had room for two screens worth of graphics at once, and this determined whether they were oriented vertically or horizontally. Extremely rarely, games even had room for four screens at once, such as Gauntlet. All this has to be spelled out somewhere for emulators.

And then mappers are pretty complicated stuff, suffice to say they help define the above as well in addition to other unique chip features.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Not necessarily. I could see a situation where they have certian development inf in an old database somewhere. Not the roms but other stuff.

I actually would be surprised. I know I have heard stories of even when they were making All Stars, all the old NES code was gone and they had to recreate those games from scratch. I think it is a thing with Japanese game companies in particular that they tended to throw away a lot of that original code and such. I've heard similar stories for Square and Capcom.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I actually would be surprised. I know I have heard stories of even when they were making All Stars, all the old NES code was gone and they had to recreate those games from scratch. I think it is a thing with Japanese game companies in particular that they tended to throw away a lot of that original code and such. I've heard similar stories for Square and Capcom.

The commented, usable code may have been gone. NES games aren't compressed or anything, if you know what each byte does in assembly you can figure out what it's doing, but it's a pretty big effort to do so. Homebrew people have done complete, commented disassemblies for significant games like SMB1 over the years.

All Stars is notable in that they screwed up one particular line of code for SMB1, which is positive instead of negative or vice versa...resulting in when you break a brick with your head, you are "sucked up" further into it when it breaks instead of rebounding like you should!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Even if they did have a database the checksums wouldn't match because the headers have been modified.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Beyond the existence of Miis (looks like I was all kinds of wrong on that), here's what Reggie confirmed to Kotaku:

--no backward compatibility at all, though using older controllers might be an option in the future
    --game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card
    --Miiverse was canned in favor of people using the other huge social platforms
    --Miis can be sent wirelessly through Switch systems, or through a Mii Amiibo
    --Miis no longer have creator, birthday, favorites, copying and "public" attributes
    --"support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update"

Stuff Reggie refused to answer:

--if Switch connects to Wii U and 3DS accounts
    --if Switch is is compatible with existing Virtual Console purchases
    --if Switch's VC will start from scratch or bring over the library from Wii U and 3DS
    --how SNES online functionality will work and what games are supported
    --whether there's a trophy or achievement system

Uh, does that mean you have to have an SD card to download digital games? can you not download them to the normal 32gb storage? Am I misreading that?

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Just because there are homebrew headers on the ROMs doesn't mean they downloaded them. The could have just used the homebrew tools to generate the ROMs from an original cartridge.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edzepp wrote: »
    Oh boy, that Reggie quote is going to get tossed around a bit.

Interpret as you will, but I still say that was Reggie not getting what matchmaking is. I'm not even sure that 'matchmaking', as in, the basic process of the Switch finding other people to play with, is something that could be handled by an app.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A-SWITCH-1.jpg?resize=768%2C431

I mean, here you have a pretty standard MK8 lobby. OK, this was at an event and it's probably more of a LAN, but that functionality is already baked in there. In this case, I'm taking the word of their fairly black and white website over Reggie saying words.

I haven't played MK8 but I can totally see that being what pops up once you've used your phone to join a lobby. And then you're in the lobby and can select stages and all that from there. But you'll notice there's no usernames on the heads of those people and no way to see who is actually in the lobby. I imagine that's on the phone.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Beyond the existence of Miis (looks like I was all kinds of wrong on that), here's what Reggie confirmed to Kotaku:

--no backward compatibility at all, though using older controllers might be an option in the future
    --game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card
    --Miis no longer have creator, birthday, favorites, copying and "public" attributes
    --"support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update"

--if Switch's VC will start from scratch or bring over the library from Wii U and 3DS

Uh, does that mean you have to have an SD card to download digital games? can you not download them to the normal 32gb storage? Am I misreading that?

Just means that if there is a SD card then downloads will by default save on it while save games will continue to be saved on internal memory.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »

Just means that if there is a SD card then downloads will by default save on it while save games will continue to be saved on internal memory.

So...can you download a game without buying an SD card?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    Reading this morning that apparently when Nintendo sold us some of its old NES/SNES games on the Wii, they just straight up sold people a ROM. Like they just went to an emulation site, downloaded the ROMs of their own games, then put them up for sale. Inspecting the game data on the Wii apparently revealed lines of code that only exist in ripped ROMs, and even match ROMs that have been on the internet for years.

Nintendo is just too cute!

What does that mean it only exists in ripped ROMs? Aren't ROMs just the game data copied onto a drive? What is a non-ripped ROM?

By analogy, let's look at it in terms of Metallica.

Metallica, like Nintendo, have always been very stern and litigious about people pirating their stuff.

Imagine, then, that Metallica sold a "greatest hits" album and it was discovered that, even though Metallica has access to their own original masters, all they did was download their own songs off of Napstar and Limewire, burn them onto a CD and sold them.

It's not so much an issue that they did anything ethically wrong. It's their own music. But it kinda also gives the impression that they're not even fucking trying.

This is exactly the kind of post I wasn't looking for, I had a specific question. I can make up my own opinions, thanks.

????

Sorry for answering your question.

Jesus, f*** this thread then.

@WordLust

Just so you don't accidentally actually leave on false pretenses.

I'll assume you misread what he wrote because your response had nothing to do with his question which may have then in turn thought you were pushing some sort of idea unrequested.

Read back through that and see what happened maybe. I dunno. Just trying to be helpful about a potential misunderstanding!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is it March 3rd yet? No, not because the system will be here (which I am excited for), but more for the fact that everyone will have the hardware and we'll finally have most if not all of the answers to these lingering unanswered questions. I'm all for open and fun discussion, but when we're arguing over shit we don't have 100% concrete answers for, it's a bit frustrating.

This is by the way, completely Nintendo's fault for not being forthcoming with all the pertinent information consumers might have questions about. While you can't predict every questions, there's obvious stuff that should be addressed immediately if possible. Pussyfooting around things like the eShop ("We'll have more info later") is aggravating to consumers and bad PR in general.

Get the info out there now so people aren't pissed off later. Or better yet, you have time to change decisions before launch.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    LD50 wrote: »
    Even if they did have a database the checksums wouldn't match because the headers have been modified.

The size of the header is a known quantity so they could checksum minus 16 bytes.

They could also just download ROMs from two different sources and compare the two, it's likely at least one will be unmodified.

Also if for any reason they needed to look closer at the data, it is trivial to dump the contents of CHR ROM banks and scan it visually or compare to other sources, to see if they replaced all the fire flowers with poop or something. RAM would be way more difficult though.

Simplest explanation though, I'm pretty sure they get every single game ESRB rated which AFAIK requires a playthrough or at least examination of the content in the game. And I believe no VC games have ever been discovered to have been modified except by Nintendo in rare circumstances, so whichever method they use must work.

I haven't played MK8 but I can totally see that being what pops up once you've used your phone to join a lobby. And then you're in the lobby and can select stages and all that from there. But you'll notice there's no usernames on the heads of those people and no way to see who is actually in the lobby. I imagine that's on the phone.

The pic is from local play where you don't need to know names.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

They are more descriptive in the original article - yes you can download games to the internal storage - the cards just expand it with the exception that they won't let you put save data on the cards where people can easily hack it

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

It's easy to adjust for known modified Headers.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I just had a horrifying Crystal Chronicles flashback and a vision where a bunch of people want to play mario kart and so they all get out their switch and their phones to join a local game and I have to imagine that Nintendo would know better than to do that.

• Options
    I just had a horrifying Crystal Chronicles flashback and a vision where a bunch of people want to play mario kart and so they all get out their switch and their phones to join a local game and I have to imagine that Nintendo would know better than to do that.

Do you think anyone was using phones for local multiplayer at these preview events?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

"we know what our customers want"

• Options
    I have zero faith that if nintendo downloaded the roms instead of dumping one themselves that they would both have a checksum database (but not the actual binaries) and took the time to verify the roms were unmodified. And yeah, I imagine that the roms work. I'm sure someone tested them (at least enough to make sure the game runs well on the emulator), but there are things that patches can change things without breaking stuff (or there can potentially be dirty data like what happened with oregon trail). If I'm paying for something from Nintendo I expect a certain level of quality that 'roms from the internet' doesn't satisfy.

Now, it is possible that they dumped the roms using software from the emulation community. It seems strange that they wouldn't use their own software, but at the same time it is very possible that the community software is actually better than whatever they have, and it's also possible that their own emulators use the header info.

We'll never know because Nintendo would never say.

• Options
    Again, since Nintendo isn't clear about this at all we can only guess, but I really hope that if they do have games tied to account, and that in theory lets you download digital games to multiple devices, that there is cloud save support in the online service. I get and understand why they are restircting save games to the internal memory, but there had better be an easy way to move those between systems.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Is it March 3rd yet? No, not because the system will be here (which I am excited for), but more for the fact that everyone will have the hardware and we'll finally have most if not all of the answers to these lingering unanswered questions. I'm all for open and fun discussion, but when we're arguing over shit we don't have 100% concrete answers for, it's a bit frustrating.

This is by the way, completely Nintendo's fault for not being forthcoming with all the pertinent information consumers might have questions about. While you can't predict every questions, there's obvious stuff that should be addressed immediately if possible. Pussyfooting around things like the eShop ("We'll have more info later") is aggravating to consumers and bad PR in general.

Get the info out there now so people aren't pissed off later. Or better yet, you have time to change decisions before launch.

I agree completely, but also I feel like they must be doing this because they have some kind of blowout planned to discuss online/eShop and want to save stuff for that. Still, they could have announced a date or something for when they are gonna talk about it

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Do you think anyone was using phones for local multiplayer at these preview events?

That's not final build and not really indicative of how it will work. But I don't actually know how that worked. Perhaps they were already in a lobby from the very start.

• Options

I agree completely, but also I feel like they must be doing this because they have some kind of blowout planned to discuss online/eShop and want to save stuff for that. Still, they could have announced a date or something for when they are gonna talk about it

Yea, I mean, when they first unveiled the switch, the next day they also said "and we'll be talking more about this on January 9th," Even doing that again "here's the broad strokes of [this] but we're going to talk about the full details on [this date] would have probably been better.

Or just, you know, talking about it all at the same time.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Exactly! Everyone fucking LOVES Directs, so simply say, "We're not talking about eShop or VC stuff right now, but we've got a Direct dedicated to it on Jan. 24th" or whatever. It's a win-win.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    They spent more time talking about how they were going to talk about online services than they did actually talking about online services.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I had thought a lot of the Splatoon assets were reused, that it had improved very little from Wii U if at all. Direct comparison is interesting to see, the tree is visibly improved and so are the ground textures.

(click for bigger)

4oUCN9h.jpg

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Reading this morning that apparently when Nintendo sold us some of its old NES/SNES games on the Wii, they just straight up sold people a ROM. Like they just went to an emulation site, downloaded the ROMs of their own games, then put them up for sale. Inspecting the game data on the Wii apparently revealed lines of code that only exist in ripped ROMs, and even match ROMs that have been on the internet for years.

Nintendo is just too cute!

By analogy, let's look at it in terms of Metallica.

Metallica, like Nintendo, have always been very stern and litigious about people pirating their stuff.

Imagine, then, that Metallica sold a "greatest hits" album and it was discovered that, even though Metallica has access to their own original masters, all they did was download their own songs off of Napstar and Limewire, burn them onto a CD and sold them.

It's not so much an issue that they did anything ethically wrong. It's their own music. But it kinda also gives the impression that they're not even fucking trying.

This is exactly the kind of post I wasn't looking for, I had a specific question. I can make up my own opinions, thanks.

????

Sorry for answering your question.

Jesus, f*** this thread then.

@WordLust

Just so you don't accidentally actually leave on false pretenses.

I'll assume you misread what he wrote because your response had nothing to do with his question which may have then in turn thought you were pushing some sort of idea unrequested.

Read back through that and see what happened maybe. I dunno. Just trying to be helpful about a potential misunderstanding!

@DemonStacey

Thank you for at least giving me the benefit of the doubt that I was just trying to answer the question and may have misunderstood what precise information was being sought instead of immediately treating me like I'm some kind of prick.

WordLust on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I know this is a pie in the sky idea, but I'd love to see Wii U games ported to the Switch. Yoshi's Wolly World, Mario Maker, Paper Mario Colour Splash, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D world!

It would be nice to fill out that first year of content with some ports of these older but good games.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ports of older Nintendo games? I dunno man, Nintendo's always been a bit of a fire and forget style operation. I remember the talks they did about not living in the past and that's why they never port their stuff.

Especially not like 30 times per game.

• Options
    Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

From this article on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953

That brings up some interesting questions/scenarios.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

From this article on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953

Near as we can tell it's at least theoretically possible to create a new user and tie it to a different region.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Like what?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

as far as i can tell, it's the same setup psn uses.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Like what?

Different user accounts tied to different regions for eshop the first that comes to mind.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

My biggest question / scenario combo is

Q: Is nintendo making this up as they go along again?
    S: Nintendo is making this up as they go along again.

• Options
    yea, just keeps coming back to the fact that Nintendo has been 0% clear on anything aside from "look at the joycons!" that we have to try to piece everything together from any morsel of information they happen to give on a random interview.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yeah, they should follow The Rules of Videogaming as set down by our forefathers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yeah but that's because you are super negative.

This discussion has been closed.