As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Goldeneye - Trapped in Limbo edition

• hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    When Doom RPG was first announced, I tricked quite a few people with these fake screens that I made:
    doom_strategy2.jpg

screens_2.jpg

Only took about 20 mins to do, too.

Holy shit that would be an awesome game

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When Doom RPG was first announced, I tricked quite a few people with these fake screens that I made:
    doom_strategy2.jpg

screens_2.jpg

Holy shit that would be an awesome game

With the screens lined up as they are, and with sprites, it would HAVE to be on the DS.

Lucky Cynic on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At first glance, that actually looks pretty reasonable.

0blique on
    edited November 2007
    0blique wrote: »
    At first glance, that actually looks pretty reasonable.

The UI doesn't really match.

Lucky Cynic on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    doom_strategy2.jpg

screens_2.jpg

Oh God, I love that one of his menu commands is "guts". Long live the DOOM comic!

RIP AND TEAR!!! TEAR AND RIP!!!

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My favorite part is how the soldier can call upon Guts, and has Brave and Faith ratings.

Throw Stone at the Cyberdemon for massive damage.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RIP AND TEAR

YOU ARE HUGE

THAT MEANS YOU HAVE

HUGE GUTS

Brolo on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey guys, someone just posted a screenshot of our super secret videogame project on the internet. How are we going to figure out who did it?

Didn't Jim just have a baby? And complain about staying up till 5am a lot lately?

Yeah, he did.

*fired*

Remington on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My favorite part is how the soldier can call upon Guts, and has Brave and Faith ratings.

I don't know anything about FF Tactics, on which these were modelled, but I thought that Guts was appropriate because of the comic. So I went with that.

The Brave and Faith ratings.. I figured.. Doom Guy would probably want to be brave, fighting demons.. and want to have some kind of faith rating, since he's fighting the forces of hell or something. Anyway. I just did the screens for fun and thought people would get a kick out of what Doom might look like as an SRPG.

slash000 on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I don't know anything about FF Tactics, on which these were modelled, but I thought that Guts was appropriate because of the comic. So I went with that.

The Brave and Faith ratings.. I figured.. Doom Guy would probably want to be brave, fighting demons.. and want to have some kind of faith rating, since he's fighting the forces of hell or something. Anyway. I just did the screens for fun and thought people would get a kick out of what Doom might look like as an SRPG.

Epic. FFT was one of my favorite games, so this is even better.

BTW, Guts is the option that calls up the main character's special moves.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd still play it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • MegaDoomerMegaDoomer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    great, i never thought of Goldeneye coming to XBLA but now you got me wanting it...

even if this is a hoax i want it now...

just great...

MegaDoomer on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know, if the OP was so pissed about this, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leak the source online. Wouldn't someone be able to XNA that to the 360, or pc?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Oddjaw2Oddjaw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I said goodbye, but I still can't sleep and some of the comments are annoying me, so I'll just reply to a few:
    Evander wrote:
    What they should have offered Nintendo is a simultanious release with an
    original version available on the Wii console

Once Nintendo got involved, that was indeed the plan - get their approval by agreeing to let them release Goldeneye (and some other back-catalogue games) on VC, in return for this Live Arcade version.

Reggie Fils-Aime was up for this idea apparently, which is probably why things went as far as they did; everyone seemed to be on-board. But eventually the decision-making went up and up the chain to Iwata-san, and he said no, not under any circumstances.
    JihadJesus wrote:
    you expect everyone to get pissed when Nintendo doesn't just happily
    say "sure, fuck us and our Virtual Console. I suppose Microsoft needs
    content too, and we don't like money"?

No - Nintendo are fucking themselves. For the sake of pride, I guess. They were being offered the game (and other Rare back-catalogue games) on VC, in return for a Live Arcade version.

Now, without that, there won't be a Virtual Console version either.
    slash000 wrote:
    Activision doesn't own the James Bond ip. They have the license for it.

That is what I said.
    slash000 wrote:
    They get nothing out of a Goldeneye release on the 360.

Activision have an exclusive license to release games about James Bond. If you want to release a game about James Bond, you go through them.
    slash000 wrote:
    The only ones who are legally capable of giving permission to use the
    James Bond ip are the IP holders

Maybe the IP holders have the ability to let other people release Bond games, but they're not going to; that would make a bit of a mockery of the "exclusive license", wouldn't it?

The IP holders were happy with this arrangement - they want to see Goldeneye released as much as we do, since it would improve the perception of the Bond brand.
    slash000 wrote:
    Really?
    You mean completely making up all of your own legal ideas out of thin
    air isn't a good way to come to a conclusion?

If I was making this up I could probably be more convincing here. But I'm just a developer working at Rare, so you're getting this information second-hand. This is what I've been told.
    the [PDZ] art style was a horifically bad mistake, and I hope they'll
    fix that with the next game (and I imagine the mangled art direction
    was in part hangover from the game's different art styles in it's 3
    incarnations, too),

Well, that and the learning experience from working with a new lighting engine.

> but PDZ was, overall, enjoyable. I liked it.

Glad you liked it. :)
    (I worked on PDZ.)
    Um, this is bullshit. Because you can't take the original source code
    and just recompile it and get it to run on the 360.

Of course not. As I said, it was modified (heavily) to run on the 360. It has a completely different renderer, for a start.
    Either it's being emulated, or it's been rewritten from scratch.

Nonsense. How do you think a Playstation game gets ported to PC, or whatever, after it's been made?

Unless you're writing in assembly language, 90% of a game's source code is platform-independent. The platform dependent stuff (e.g. rendering, input, sound, etc) can be replaced without needing to change the core of it.
    Remington wrote:
    Hey guys, someone just posted a screenshot of our super secret
    videogame project on the internet. How are we going to figure out who did it?

Luckily, nobody believes a word I'm saying. So I'm probably in the clear. (But that would be painfully ironic... getting sued for releasing a screenshot everyone thinks is a hoax? Ouch.)

Oddjaw2 on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    god

can we just derail this thread into a FFT DOOM thread please

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
    edited November 2007
    god

can we just derail this thread into a FFT DOOM thread please

Or about Psychonaut's abandoned Protagonist concept.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Oddjaw2Oddjaw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm. Leaking the source is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would do anyone much good without the models, textures, etc. And I'm already uncomfortable, just leaking screenshots...

Anyway, it's in C, so porting to XNA would take an awful lot of work. A PC version probably wouldn't be too hard to get working though.

Oddjaw2 on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    moar pruf

Shogun on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oddjaw2 wrote: »
    Hmm. Leaking the source is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would do anyone much good without the models, textures, etc. And I'm already uncomfortable, just leaking screenshots...

Anyway, it's in C, so porting to XNA would take an awful lot of work. A PC version probably wouldn't be too hard to get working though.

I'm just talking hypothetically, of course.

Though by source, I meant the whole shebang, not just the code. I figure, it being meant for XBLA, it wouldn't be much more than 2-300mb(assuming things weren't compressed/cut).

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    Activision doesn't own the James Bond ip. They have the license for it.

That is what I said.

That's great. You also misused plenty of concepts, like jurisdiction.

Legally speaking, none of these companies have jurisdiction over anything; because only the court systems have jurisdiction over anything.

slash000 wrote:
    They get nothing out of a Goldeneye release on the 360.

Activision have an exclusive license to release games about James Bond. If you want to release a game about James Bond, you go through them.

So you're telling me that you are fully aware of the terms of the contracts between Activision and MGM, as well as the contract between MS and Rare? Because Activision only holds a license to develop and publish games, not to confer that right to another publisher; that is all we can really assume. Sure it's possible that MGM essentially gave complete control over all things Bond to Activision, but completely unlikely; I think your assumption is far less realistic than mine. The only way for this to work would be for Rare to subcontract under Activision to publish the game on XBLA. I'm sure MS would have something to say about that. Activision doesn't have the ability to confer upon MS to publish a Bond game; only MGM does. Either way, you're entangling another party into the publisher/developer situation, and we certainly don't know neither the goals nor the terms of the contracts of each of these companies.

What you're trying to do is propose that it's a simple matter for everyone if not for Nintendo, and this simply is not the case.
    slash000 wrote:
    The only ones who are legally capable of giving permission to use the
    James Bond ip are the IP holders

Maybe the IP holders have the ability to let other people release Bond games, but they're not going to; that would make a bit of a mockery of the "exclusive license", wouldn't it?

The IP holders were happy with this arrangement - they want to see Goldeneye released as much as we do, since it would improve the perception of the Bond brand.

They do not, or else they are in breach of the Activision contract. If not for the exclusivity of that deal, then MGM very well could let MS publish it.

slash000 wrote:
    Really?
    You mean completely making up all of your own legal ideas out of thin
    air isn't a good way to come to a conclusion?

If I was making this up I could probably be more convincing here. But I'm just a developer working at Rare, so you're getting this information second-hand. This is what I've been told.

Really, you're a developer at Rare now?

Do you usually refer to your own team in third person, or only when you've made a statement and are trying to incur more credibility by claiming this now?

There are holes in your logic when speaking about how game code works, too.. Unless you'd like to explain yourself on that front? Talk to TSR about it.

slash000 on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man.

Chill.

Shogun on
    edited November 2007
    Oddjaw wrote:
    Um, this is bullshit. Because you can't take the original source code and just recompile it and get it to run on the 360.

Of course not. As I said, it was modified (heavily) to run on the 360. It has a completely different renderer, for a start.

I didn't say this was an N64 emulator running a Goldeneye ROM. It's the original Goldeneye source code, recompiled and modified to run on 360 (with support added for networking, dual-analog controllers, etc).

Talk to TSR about it. That's all I'm going to say with regards to code.

slash000 on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you're using the original character models from Goldeneye, wouldn't you need to get, I don't know, permission or something to use a) ex-Rare employees likenesses for the single player bad guys, and b) Grace Jones/Richard Kiel/Sean Bean/etc etc for multiplayer? I'm not exactly up to speed on the legal stuff, but unless the original contract was very expansive - or point b is covered by the Bond IP - it seems like that would be another difficulty.

Burnage on
    edited November 2007
    In theory they could just create all new textures for those. Kind of like how Nintendo replaced the Kawasaki textures in releasing Wave Race 64 on the Virtual Console. It's possible on that end.

But why use such fugly character models on the 'upgraded graphics' version of the game? If there's the option for the original graphics and the upgraded version, you'd think they would upgrade the models while they're upgrading everything else, visually.

slash000 on
    edited November 2007
    • All new high def graphics (with the option to switch back to the original N64 graphics any time).

Burnage on
    edited November 2007
    Burnage wrote: »
    • All new high def graphics (with the option to switch back to the original N64 graphics any time).

Touche.

slash000 on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Again, either Rare was stupid enough to go through with such a legally dicey move, in which case screw 'em, or else this guy is just a really bad liar, in which case screw 'im. Pretty simple, really.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited November 2007
    In a similar vein, I can't see Free Radical being ecstatic about Dr. Doak in Facility. And God will not need mercy if someone re-releases Goldeneye and changes Facility.

Burnage on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *Reads through Posts*

*Is highly amused*

Waka Laka on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Um, this is bullshit. Because you can't take the original source code
    and just recompile it and get it to run on the 360.

Either it's being emulated, or it's been rewritten from scratch.

Nonsense. How do you think a Playstation game gets ported to PC, or whatever, after it's been made?

Unless you're writing in assembly language, 90% of a game's source code is platform-independent. The platform dependent stuff (e.g. rendering, input, sound, etc) can be replaced without needing to change the core of it.

Buddy, as someone who's making a career out of picking games apart line by line, let me just tell you to stop. You obviously don't know jack shit, and every time you post in this pathetic topic you look less and less informed.

Also, your description of how games are made is laughable.

TheSonicRetard on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck.

Now there is nothing on this planet I want more than to play fucking Goldeneye. And I don't own it. And I'll never be able to download it on the VC. And what I really want is to play it with updated models/textures in HD. Or just 480p on the Wii.

Because Goldeneye was a fucking awesome game.

Seriously, better games have been released since obviously but at the time of release it was probably one of the best games ever created.

EDIT: Seriously, for this reason alone I really hope to see the banhammer dropped on this hoaxmonger.

mcdermott on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Jesus, you guys are gullible.

Monoxide on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there a difference between being gullible and really, really wanting to believe?

Actually, I want to know where the screenshot really came from. It's not the Goldeneye source mod but it looks pretty awesome as an update to the N64 version.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there a difference between being gullible and really, really wanting to believe?

Actually, I want to know where the screenshot really came from. It's not the Goldeneye source mod but it looks pretty awesome as an update to the N64 version.

it's from a nintendo 64 emulator.

It's not against the rules to point that out, right?

TheSonicRetard on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Jesus, you guys are gullible.

Man, that's not even a word.

mcdermott on
    edited November 2007

There are hi-res texture packs out there.

However, my googling has not brought this particular one up yet; assuming this is a hi-res texture pack and not something that someone threw together just to trick people.

slash000 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just to poke another hole in this already perforated, bullet ridden corpse, why would Iwata even care about this? He'd have had a shot of believability if it was Reggie, or even just an american spokesperson. Like the japanese really give two shits about Goldeneye. For reference, this would be like Reggie cockblocking an effort to release "Super Magic Pretty Princess Maker Dating Sim" from being released. Like he would even care, he'd let the appropriate department handle it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

No, because it's true.

An N64 emulator can run your illegal ROMs that you shouldn't have or talk about here at any resolution, which is what Mr. Brilliant over here did. Then he either changed the FPS monitor font or photoshopped 60.0000 on there to make it look more goldeneye-like.

I'm pretty impressed that he was clever enough to do that since apparently the guy couldn't figure out how to activate his first account and had to re-register with Oddjaw2.

Monoxide on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If this guy apparently has the ability to smuggle screenshots in and out of his workarea, couldn't we just force him to do some ridiculous task in order to prove he's telling the truth? That way when he says "Oh, well, uh, I can't, because, uh" we can all just call him a fag and get on with our lives.

Remington on
    edited November 2007
    Just to poke another hole in this already perforated, bullet ridden corpse, why would Iwata even care about this? He'd have had a shot of believability if it was Reggie, or even just an american spokesperson. Like the japanese really give two shits about Goldeneye. For reference, this would be like Reggie cockblocking an effort to release "Super Magic Pretty Princess Maker Dating Sim" from being released. Like he would even care, he'd let the appropriate department handle it.

Yeah I forgot Goldeneye was one of the best games the Nintendo 64 ever saw. Not to mention being one of the best multiplayer experiences ever. So we take that and put it on Microsoft's console at $10 with HD graphics and online multiplayer. Do I need to go further?

I'm not saying this is real or I'm supporting the OP, but I can honestly see why Nintendo would not want this.

Shogun on
This discussion has been closed.