As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Spotlight

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Spotlight

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    WaterbornGamerWaterbornGamer Registered User new member
    You get in there and you kill everyone. Symmetra is a beast now, watching her take down a tank like its nothing is a treat.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I really hate when their comics have a good joke, but their lack of experience with the game mechanics or whatever makes it fall flat or become contradictory. Case in point, Symmetra is a fantastic character to use the Nano Boost on. Her beam, especially after her recent patch, has a long distance and is incredibly deadly, I've won plenty of matches just boosting a Symmetra as Mercy.

A better candidate for this (which I'm guessing Gabe plays Symmetra thus why they used her) would be like... Mercy or Lucio for example. Characters who have very limited if any offensive capability.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It must have been weird growing up for Pharah. She tells her mom she has an owie, but she just tells her to walk it off and throws a jar of medicine at her .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    It must have been weird growing up for Pharah. She tells her mom she has an owie, but she just tells her to walk it off and throws a jar of medicine at her .

I was always a fan of this re-imagining (probably) of Pharah's childhood:

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Sounds like Gabe hasn't played Overwatch in a while.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    He's played overwatch more than any person ever.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2017/01/04/neverland

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Linktm wrote: »
    I really hate when their comics have a good joke, but their lack of experience with the game mechanics or whatever makes it fall flat or become contradictory. Case in point, Symmetra is a fantastic character to use the Nano Boost on. Her beam, especially after her recent patch, has a long distance and is incredibly deadly, I've won plenty of matches just boosting a Symmetra as Mercy.

A better candidate for this (which I'm guessing Gabe plays Symmetra thus why they used her) would be like... Mercy or Lucio for example. Characters who have very limited if any offensive capability.

Yeah, maybe Gabe hasn't been appraised of Sym's recent buffs. But even before those buffs, her beam was always murder. I also wonder if he's even aware that the damage gets progressively more damaging over time, if it stays connected? I'm surprised at how often I have to explain to complaining friends that, yes, she does do an absurd amount of damage, no, it's not impossible or strange that Sym just blasted through your full health Roadhog while you were distracted with something else. You're just playing against a Symmetra who knows what they're doing. I wouldn't say she's the BEST character to Nano boost, partly because she's often played by more timid players, but she's a great candidate if your team has a proactive Symmetra, who knows how to play her well.

I actually don't know that I agree with the Lucio thing. Lucio can do some damage, but he's better used for knocking people off of points and keeping everyone alive than sending him into the hot zone. Losing a Symmetra for twenty seconds is usually alright. Losing your Lucio for twenty seconds can be a game changer. Mercy can fly off toward a distant team mate if things get too hot, but Lucio's just screwed most of the time. (Who I play quite a bit, especially in comp.)

LOL these comics give me the impression that Gabe is not the best at OW.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Tycho looks like a penis.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I mean, it IS canon that they are really bad at Overwatch.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I had a really good series of pubbie games once where I played Reinhardt and this Ana made a habit of juicing me up every time. It was fantastic! They were good on heals and supporting me too. I was ready to propose marriage to them, but we weren't mic'd up =/

Siiiiiiigh <3

The one that got away....

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Now that we have some context, in the form of newspost, it sounds like Gabe's issue is that he has placed Symmetra in the iron box labeled "Defense" and which might as well be subtitled, "and thus, never ever ever to be used for Offense."
    So he's gonna stay back and guard the base (point, whatever), even if he's buffed so much you can't look directly at him. He has his role and he is sticking to it.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    I especially like it when she misfires.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Symmetra is a fantastic character to use the Nano Boost on.

I mean, Q'ing Sym CAN work. I've seen it once or twice myself. But not Q'ing a tank (especially now that there are usually 2-3) is usually a bad idea, and Sym's beam buff certainly doesn't merit such a blanket endorsement as an Ana Q target.

People used to underestimate the beam's ramping damage, but they stopped that about a week into the buff. If she charges in Q'd trying to melt people, she's just going to get focused down instantly if they have any idea what they are doing.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Yeah, but we only got this comic because Gabe both plays Symmetra and is not great at it

We live in an imperfect world :'(

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I had a really good series of pubbie games once where I played Reinhardt and this Ana made a habit of juicing me up every time. It was fantastic! They were good on heals and supporting me too. I was ready to propose marriage to them, but we weren't mic'd up =/

Siiiiiiigh <3

The one that got away....

I'm glad that seemed to work out for you, in my experience however Rein is usually a bad choice for the Ana boost. He used to be great, but, now that it doesn't come with a speed boost it always seems like a waste if not given to D.Va or Zarya... Or just a straight offense character, sometimes (Soldier especially). Going in swinging at base speed that enemies can easily run away from when you could be shielding allies never feels like a smart plan.

That's just my experience, anyway. Sym is a decent choice because of the way her damage builds up over time, the fact that she doesn't need to aim directly, and her small frame making her hard to hit. If you lock the beam to someone and then just jump around them annoyingly they're going to have a little trouble stopping you without some help... And then if you manage that, you can go after someone else with the still-fully-charged beam and melt some fools.

Of course you're also putting a great big Shoot Me sign on her head by giving her the boost, so, it's definitely situational. I wouldn't say it's a definitely-for-sure bad idea, though, especially at the level that I assume Gabe is playing at (based on his own admission at being bad at the game) where other players are going to ALSO underestimate Symmetra and not prioritize her as a target.

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    The Overwatch pro theorycrafting comes swarming from the woodwork as is customary for any Blizzard game. "Well actually..."

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It must have been weird growing up for Pharah. She tells her mom she has an owie, but she just tells her to walk it off and shoots her from 50 yards away.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    The Overwatch pro theorycrafting comes swarming from the woodwork as is customary for any Blizzard game. "Well actually..."

Thanks, Internet!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGkrApmVz_E

ahem

• Options
    Lost In VanadielLost In Vanadiel Registered User new member
    edited February 2017
    Like others have said, nano symm is completely fine. Regardless of the newbness, I do love the depiction of ana/symm.

Lost In Vanadiel on