As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Under conditions that were definitely legal

Twice.

I am deeply fucking stupid.

My personal record is actually going to be totally aboveboard and Kosher soon, because I'll be running through some high speed training at work on our banked circle track.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I took my civic up to 140, and my buddies type r integra a bit higher In cars we basically built ourselves as early 20 year olds. I'll take my sign now.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I've actually never been above 170km/h in a car I've owned. That's where the governor kicks in on a 1999 Olds Alero with the V6. Since then I've maybe hit 160km/h twice.

With that being said, I do have stupid teenage stories of speed. Back behind the town I lived was a road we called "roller coaster road" because it was bone straight but undulated like a roller coaster track. It was paved, but was only two lanes and served the driveways for many farms and acreages. A high school buddy and I would take his 90s Chevy Cavalier down this road doing 180km/h at like 3AM when it was pitch black out. Looking back, I can't help but think of the myriad of things that could have gone very wrong.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm terrified to speed too fast because around here if you are caught going 50 km/hr over the limit or more, its like a $10,000 fine and they seize your car

no thanks

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    AI_wat lives in Virgina, confirmed.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Ontario. :P

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    In my current non-fun car, I get mid- to upper-30 MPGs! So I drive kinda slow as it is to get that good gas mileage.
    Tempted to modify it to get EVEN BETTER GAS MILEAGE MUAHAHAHAHA.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    My 1991 Legacy Turbo I once got above 190 km/h (but I was concentrating firmly on the road so I don't remember where it peaked). I changed the tires about three months later, and completely forgot I was running a fucking INNER TUBE to keep one of my front tires inflated. It got slashed at school, and I was too broke to afford a new set on an AWD car at the time so it was a stop gap.

I'm so supremely lucky it didn't fuck up and kill me. When I bought my STi, I think I only ever got it up to 150-160. Never came close to where I got with my old beater. Never felt the need.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah my fun was done back in the mid to late 90s on country backroads. Living in a big city now, I have to drive a long ways to find the fun spots. I'm too old for that shit.

Edit: Oh yeah and that 170km/h governor bouncing run in my Alero managed to kill one of my tires. The next day I found it dead flat due to the heat exacerbating a crack.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I want to do autocross so bad in my crown victoria, it won't be fast, but it will be about a minute of crazy tire squealing glory. I just need a dash cam first.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Man, i was happy I got a 4 cylinder 96 ford ranger up to about 85-90 that one time. It started shaking. Still sad that pokey thing just died recently though.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    My Subaru is essentially limited to 90, going downhill (it can go faster but I actually worry the car will fall apart at the seams). It's comfiest at 60 in fifth gear but will do 75 for a couple hours without too much complaint.

I fully expect the street-rodded Cub to be able to do 55 on a good stretch, but tbh I already consider it safest to never take it on roads with a speed limit over 45.

More fun to drive slow shit fast, right?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Oh, I guess once I was using my grandparent's '04 Grand Marquis and wanted to get home quick one night, so I set the cruise at 100mph on the interstate and let it roll. This was really late at night and in SW Michigan, I94 is deserted after about 10PM. The car seemed totally happy to cruise at that speed, but thinking back it really wasn't worth the potential ticket or the possibility of hitting a deer at that speed.

jgeis on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    My Subaru is essentially limited to 90, going downhill (it can go faster but I actually worry the car will fall apart at the seams). It's comfiest at 60 in fifth gear but will do 75 for a couple hours without too much complaint.

I fully expect the street-rodded Cub to be able to do 55 on a good stretch, but tbh I already consider it safest to never take it on roads with a speed limit over 45.

More fun to drive slow shit fast, right?

I hit 90kmph on my postie (trail cub) once, down hill with an extra tooth'd front cog for a longer final drive. That was enough.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm terrified to speed too fast because around here if you are caught going 50 km/hr over the limit or more, its like a $10,000 fine and they seize your car

no thanks

I'm glad I was a teenager before they introduced that stuff. We got caught doing 145km/h in the Dodge 600 convertible and after the cop stopped laughing when we confessed we didn't know how fast we were going (omitting the part where we didn't know because the speedo didn't go that high) he bumped the ticket down to 105 in an 80 and gave a warning to slow down. My friend was driving at the time so it was his ticket, sucker.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket though in my youth I was given a couple warnings for 120 in an 80... like maybe 4 warnings. All in local rural areas where the attitude used to be (and may still be) that boys will be boys and boys with glasses are innocent (nerdssss). I have no idea how I got away with that so many times.

These days I use cruise control a lot to keep my driving a reasonable speed. Occasionally, if no one is around, I'll let it get up decently high but nothing close to my max speed of 210km/h I did very briefly one night until I realised if a deer popped out of the bush we'd both suffer a grisly death.

Going to do some autocross this summer with the Mini. Pretty excited for that.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I got the Kia up to 100mph on two occasions, both times going downhill. It rattled, shook, and squeaked so much I thought it was about to explode.

The Subaru on the other hand will pass by 80 as if it were nothing at all. I haven't taken it past that point though.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I loved it in Arizona and New Mexico where the speed limits are like 80 on the interstate our Hyundai was able to handle it great, like it was barely moving at all. It has been a good little car.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I hit 100 in a minivan on I-5 on the way down to Disneyland. Aside from the rattling of the steering wheel it didn't feel like much. Allegedly the transmission needed work after that, but I reckon it was just bad timing.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    So... wagons...

1) The Sensible Choice - Subaru Legacy Wagon, 2.0GT or 3.0R

2) Other "JDM tyte, bro" Choices - Toyota Crown Estate or Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4

3) The Bragging Rights Option, aka the one with the GT-R drivetrain - Nissan Autech Stagea

4) The "what the hell did I get myself into" Option - W8 Passat

Unless I get lucky, S6/RS6 and E55 AMG wagons are probably out of my price range. Any other cool wagons I'm missing?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    My dad has an E500 wagon and it's pretty cool.

It's also blown two air shocks and a rear diff, though...

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We have a toyota avensis wagon.

It's. A car. Yep. Definitely a car.

I can recommend it if you want to have the feeling of sitting in an armchair totally disconnected from everything as the electronic throttle, steering and everything else take over.

On the plus side it's a manual 1.8 so you can give it some Welly when you need it and it'll respond.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Volvo V90 Wagon...
    rowdejbidovdfo4fqlwl.jpg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Link to Article

There is also the V60 Polestar, which could be quite fun as well if you need a smaller wagon

yq6xczg6qskia0vk3gm5.jpg

Article on the Polestars

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    So... wagons...

1) The Sensible Choice - Subaru Legacy Wagon, 2.0GT or 3.0R

2) Other "JDM tyte, bro" Choices - Toyota Crown Estate or Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4

3) The Bragging Rights Option, aka the one with the GT-R drivetrain - Nissan Autech Stagea

4) The "what the hell did I get myself into" Option - W8 Passat

Unless I get lucky, S6/RS6 and E55 AMG wagons are probably out of my price range. Any other cool wagons I'm missing?

#3.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    woo

Bernie Ecclestone has been fired from F1

this probably paves the way for, well, basically everything, but at minimum, a much better schedule

maybe we can have more than 5 races a year that aren't in banana republics

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doesn't he still own a controlling interest In, well, pretty much everything?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Doesn't he still own a controlling interest In, well, pretty much everything?

i dont think he's ever owned a controlling interest. he's just owned a big slice, but it's not a 51% slice

the exact picture of who owns what is an insane maze of big-banking conglomerate nonsense

but i think the most succinct explanation of Bernie's rule is that "he owns a lot of the it, and since he's also got mafia-style control over all the race promotion stuff, it was easier to just keep him in charge than piss him off and risk X"

but Liberty is an actual company that can manage things themselves, so, peace out to him

• Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    So I'm car hunting for my first car with a 2 to 3,000 budget. Any advice for what I should look out for?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    an older honda 4 door car driven by a reasonably middle class older married couple who no longer need the car.

especially if they have records of maintaining it.

that's not the fun answer though. also, if you go older enough and live in a shitty place, car theft might theoretically become a problem.

Label on
  • Options
    Toyota Corolla. Get it inspected by a private mechanic before buying to avoid any gotchas.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    an older honda 4 door car driven by a reasonably middle class older married couple who no longer need the car.

especially if they have records of maintaining it.

that's not the fun answer though. also, if you go older enough and live in a shitty place, car theft might theoretically become a problem.

Yeah if you get an older Honda, get a club.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Ha well there's definetly a lot of Honda lovers in my area. xD

• Options
    Older Mazdas are a good proposition as well, the 2002-2003 proteges were rock solid little cars (I had one for 8 years) and I still think they look pretty good. You can probably get first and 2nd gen Mazda 3s for that price range now too.

• Options
    @PassionateLovie if you don't mind me asking, what's your closest metropolitan area? I love browsing Craigslist for people looking for cars.

• Options
    @jgeis San Diego, CA!

• Options
    @jgeis San Diego, CA!

OK, so here are some reasonable suggestions:

Probably the most economical car you're going to get for the money by far, low mileage and reliable:
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5977133651.html

Low miles and decent condition, you could probably talk them down a bit too, and then use the funds to get the crack in the bumper fixed:
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5958414725.html

I'd the mileage is relatively low (<135k or so) and everything checks out, this Focus would be a great choice:
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/5977341434.html

This Elantra GT would be a great choice, and the dent in the back doesn't look too bad. You could probably get it fixed if it really bothered you:
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5977282165.html

If you can get the dent in the passenger front door popped without issue and are OK with averaging 23 or 24mpg, this Bonneville is in great shape otherwise, has very, very low miles, and the 3.8L GM V6 is super reliable:
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5977281658.html

Wildcards:

This El Dorado is in great shape and has really low miles for the price, but it also won't get amazing mileage (because V8) and the Northstar isn't super reliable over 150k miles. Still an excellent deal all things considered:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5974243080.html

This is the one I'd be looking at first, but I'd be bringing a mechanic for sure and checking it super thoroughly. The electrical systems on these Jags were wonky from the factory, but a well-maintained Jag with 35k miles could be a real steal. Probably not worth it as a first car:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5977209667.html

• Options
    One car to add to the list

Saturn SL2

The 1.9L is unkillable, just keep the oil topped off. Mine is at well over 200k miles now. Also keeps $1500 in your pocket for registration/smog/repairs - and most used cars you buy will need at least a few small repairs when you get them.

• Options
    Oh I missed that one, that is a great deal on that Saturn.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I would stay the hell away from any Northstar engine.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I would stay the hell away from any Northstar engine.

They're OK but you've got to stay on top of them with maintenance and watch coolant levels. I knew a lot of guys with Northstar swaps in their Fieros and they were fun engines that had a tendency to eat their head gaskets.

• Options
    Hmm, I dunno about that 2003 Civic Hybrid - the hybrid battery pack is going to be pretty near the end of its life and when it goes you can pay more than the car is worth to replace it, or drive it around on just the (completely gutless) gas engine.

Be wary of the Sentra having been owned by a young person previously, as if it was they likely would have thrashed the bejeesus out of it.

The Focus, yeah okay, if it's a good one.

The Elantra, it's coming up on 15 years old, that's getting pretty close to end of life on early 2000s Korean cars. I love Hyundais, but unless it's a top 5%er, it'll not have long before important things start breaking (like power steering pumps, for example).

The Pontiac? Nah. Same for the Caddy. Ew gross, last of the shitty Caddies before they got their act together and started making decent cars like the CTS-V.

And lastly, the Jaaaaaaag.

DO NOT BUY that Jaguar, or any like it. Just think of all those early 80's Lucas electrics going wrong...

This discussion has been closed.