As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    One question:
    Matchlocks?

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    One question:
    Matchlocks?

Yes. Pistols, specifically Matchlocks, are in the game.

Man, this game looks so good, but sooo hard. Tough decision between getting it or Horizon: Zero Dawn.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Yus

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That looks like it's running pretty smooth at 4k. I assume they are using checkerboarding, but it still looks and runs pretty good. Nice to see a game start making really good use of the Pro.

Can't wait for this. This has been on my radar since I first saw it. I love pretty much all the games in the Souls style (hell, I enjoyed Lords of the Fallen for what it was), so I'm going to enjoy this I think.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Since this is coming out sooner rather than later I'm going to work up a better OP on my day off this Friday.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'll be interested in how much they've updated it since the demo.
    I'm deep into Tecmo-Koei's Way of the Samurai series despite some of it's gross bits
    I could see myself playing more of a bushido blade souls, regardless,
    though, I might find FOR HONOR, a less grindy, more actiony, bushido blade variant.

VayBJ4e.png
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    How did this game slip by my notice.

It looks amazing.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    That looks like it's running pretty smooth at 4k. I assume they are using checkerboarding, but it still looks and runs pretty good. Nice to see a game start making really good use of the Pro.

I would have been pretty surprised if Team Ninja hadn't been able to properly leverage the Pro; I'm hoping they'll have some Pro deals when Horizon drops.

Looks like there's a "last chance" demo for the game this weekend.

https://www.destructoid.com/nioh-is-getting-a-last-chance-demo-that-s-only-live-for-two-days-413152.phtml
    Nioh is set to launch on February 7, but if you still haven't gotten a chance to give it a go or want to see how much it's changed since the first beta, you'll have your shot. It'll run from January 21 to the end of January 22 (you can pre-load later today), and like the demos in the past, it'll expire after that time and provide extra in-game rewards in the full version if you complete it.

As Team Ninja notes in the PlayStation blog post, you also have one final final chance at earning the alpha and beta demo items. I have to give it to Koei Tecmo, they really pushed this one hard and gave the team a real shot at getting it out there. If you haven't tried it yet go do so -- it's a great free way to spend the weekend as this collective demo build is pretty robust!

Here's a trailer for the demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zLNrelWzM0

Guess we'll get to experience the Chain-weaponry and at least one new mission + boss battle.

Well my weekend plans suddenly got solidified.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would love to finally try this out. A bit off topic, but has anyone played the F2P Let It Die? Most media is comparing it to Dark Souls + roguelikes. Anyone here knows how it compares to Souls games?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I would love to finally try this out. A bit off topic, but has anyone played the F2P Let It Die? Most media is comparing it to Dark Souls + roguelikes. Anyone here knows how it compares to Souls games?

It's not very soul-sy. There's a thread over in SE++

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Well now all of my Saturday is taken, so I won't get to play this as much as I wanted. Waking up at 4 AM (!!) to drive the first stint of the 24 Hours of Daytona for my iRacing team, then going to the Portland Women's March with my daughter, then coming home to drive my second stint in the 24...I won't get to fire up Nioh until late in the evening, when I'll probably be falling asleep, haha. Oh well, I'll get plenty of play time in Sunday.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    The final demo is out now! Running through till Sunday so don't miss out, you can get the alpha and beta helmets as well as a new one if you finish all the levels.

I really need to mess around with some of the other weapons, but the katanas are fun to use and heart gives you that extra Ki as well as the weapon damage boost.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular

If you can believe it, the combat is more clunky the Demon. I did not enjoy my time with the game.

As for NIOH, legit fashion souls is in. They've put in transmorgraphication (or however that's spelled) which given the way the loot system is set up is awesome. Dark Souls armor by and large didn't matter. Here it does, and being able to look badass without sacrificing stats is amazing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Kusarigama are rad as fuck, and I really like how it's set up that square is for attacking with the weight and triangle is for attacking with the sickle. I'm a little sad that skill customization is the same as ever, but at least they altered how it's laid out such that you aren't tricked into thinking you have greater control over attack chains. Also: no more Sloth talisman, or at least it's not readily unlockable.

The Ogress is probably the easiest boss that they've included in any of the demo, though she's still pretty obnoxious at times due to camera woes and the ability to make almost the entire boss arena into a pool of yokai goop.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Going to have to download again, one more fix before the full game comes out.

Though everytime the demo has dropped its always on a weekend that I am working, feels like I'm speed running.

metaghost wrote: »
    Kusarigama are rad as fuck, and I really like how it's set up that square is for attacking with the weight and triangle is for attacking with the sickle. I'm a little sad that skill customization is the same as ever, but at least they altered how it's laid out such that you aren't tricked into thinking you have greater control over attack chains. Also: no more Sloth talisman, or at least it's not readily unlockable.

The Ogress is probably the easiest boss that they've included in any of the demo, though she's still pretty obnoxious at times due to camera woes and the ability to make almost the entire boss arena into a pool of yokai goop.

What was your set up for Ogress?

I enjoy the Dark Souls action right up until any of the bosses in any of the demos. You can't be too defensive because any blocked hit just rips Ki off of you, so two hits and you're open. You can't be too offensive because a good hit will take out 40-50% of your life.

I know they lock a lot of the skills behind the demo (such as no readily available Sloth Talismans) so it won't be like that in the full release, but there are so many skills and not enough ways to level without pure grinding - most of the skills are pointless for the demo anyway!

I don't know that I really had a "set up" for the Ogress, unlike how I had to approach Succubus or Nue in the previous demos. I was Level 9 and "spec'd" for the Kusarigama, though that's pretty meaningless at Lvl. 9. I definitely learned that blocking is pretty pointless against her, so a lot of the fight was about dodging to the left and doing my best to stamina-break her.

Beat the ogress after realising I was being way too defensive. Stuck in her face and punished her stamina, was over pretty quickly.

So my message if you're having trouble is RIP AND TEAR

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    On the topic of her stamina, she's susceptible to Paralyze, so that might be a smart Omnyo to pick up for that fight.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Kurasigama is pretty good, decent range and damage. Just had a quick go, is there a lot of missions in the demo or just a handful like previously? The game is looking nicely polished and it's still plays pretty great. Storage is also hella handy.

Kurasigama is pretty good, decent range and damage. Just had a quick go, is there a lot of missions in the demo or just a handful like previously? The game is looking nicely polished and it's still plays pretty great. Storage is also hella handy.

I've only unlocked the Demon version of the Ogress mission and the Duel with that Lightning Dog Douchebag from the previous demo.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This has come a bloody long way from that first demo. Stance switching is still too clumsy for me to bother attempting.

Probably relatedly the ogress ate me alive

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Like with the Cleric Beast in Bloodborne, get up in her biscuit and just dodge around her left. She should never hit you, just don't get hit by the jump.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Holy cheese and crackers this game is hard.

Ogress down after 3 tries learned that the best way to deal with 2 enemies at a time is to Headshot one with the bow (The one without a helmet preferably) which will either instantly kill them or hurt them badly enough that i can finish them off quickly

Is the 2 Downloads you get for finishing the only thing you get or is there more?

The first boss annoyed me if you hugged her body 90% of her claw attacks whiff but when she jumps you have to wait because if you dodge too early you roll right into a goomba stomp.

Zunde on
    Those two downloads are it; they are, respectively, the things received for completing the previous demos (Mark of the Conqueror was from defeating the demon on the boat from the Alpha, and Mark of the Warrior was from defeating the Succubus in the Beta).

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Mark of the Conqueror is still bugged to hell for me.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    I see the Tachibana duel is still tedious as fuck.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Man, wearing light armor is fucking harrowing in this game. You pretty much can't get hit or you lose all your ki. Might've been better off using a weapon that can actually block, the chain sickle has abysmal parry rating. Still fun though.

Those two downloads are it; they are, respectively, the things received for completing the previous demos (Mark of the Conqueror was from defeating the demon on the boat from the Alpha, and Mark of the Warrior was from defeating the Succubus in the Beta).

Ah so the Ogress mask only comes from beating the shadow version of the level?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    okay so i played a lot of souls games and my question is

am i supposed to be eating this much shit

i don't think i'm really "getting" how the dodging and stamina works in this game

Arthil wrote: »

Ah so the Ogress mask only comes from beating the shadow version of the level?

I know nothing of an Ogress mask and I've beaten all the content in this demo, assuming nothing else unlocks on a timer.

Well I did it and got two dlc reward thingies.

I totally cheaper out. I summoned a helper and then just hoofed all my ninjustsu and consumables at her while the helper got beaten to shit

Elendil wrote: »

i don't think i'm really "getting" how the dodging and stamina works in this game

Play the tutorial in the dojo.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

it does not play like souls, it just looks like souls.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Fuck me twilight mode is just silly

Naphtali wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

it does not play like souls, it just looks like souls.

It sorta plays like souls. In the same way that Bloodborne sorta played like souls. Main difference here is that you can actually block, although doing so with anything save for a single katana or hammer/axe might leave you with a bad time. There's all sorts of moves that work towards decreasing the enemies own stamina as well, which leaves them in a horribly vulnerable position. Even bosses end up taking more damage and seem a bit sluggish with their reserves drained.

Oni/Demon enemies are the ass-kickers in this game, usually coming with some nasty tricks or just being outright brutally strong. Draining their stamina helps, but they aren't left in the same useless state as human enemies.

Practicing dodging/ki management and blocking with the first couple of enemies will help. And definitely play through the dojo, understanding ki management will suddenly take you from out of breath after a single assault to quickly recuperating and continuing to pummel an enemy.

Also yeah Twilight Mode hurt, but I also went in there at Level 17 when it clearly says 25. First guy was a fucker and a half, the enemies after him were chumps by comparison but they still hit like a truck.