As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WAIT

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    Damn, I was going to troll and say burn the leaves, but that may have actually been useful.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Well, I suppose we were due for some jank sooner or later.
    look through grate

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Well, I suppose we were due for some jank sooner or later.
    look through grate
    >look through grate
    The grate is closed.

>look into grate
    The grate is closed.

>examine grate
    The grate is closed.

(even modern, advanced, natural language programs like Siri and Google Assistant tend to get janky, let alone a game that's - let's see - over 35 years old. For me there's a magic to being able to talk to a computer like a person that makes up for the inevitable jankiness of it)

Well, that was just a bit of caution that wasn't strictly necessary anyway. I can probably just not use "look through [thing]" anymore under the assumption that if it can't parse that there's not gonna be any life or death stuff that depends on doing that. I should reread the section of the instructions on the text parser. It had some stuff on the logic used by it but I didn't really read it too closely; it'll probably save some invalid inputs to be more familiar with that.
    open grate

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I was looking at the crosswalk area leading up to the convention center on Google maps.

You have to cross some parking driveways.

Kinda dodgy there.

Krathoon wrote: »
    I was looking at the crosswalk area leading up to the convention center on Google maps.

You have to cross some parking driveways.

Kinda dodgy there.

Maybe in late afternoon/early evening but it's usually not that big of a hassle.

khd33hubozxv.png
    Well, that was just a bit of caution that wasn't strictly necessary anyway. I can probably just not use "look through [thing]" anymore under the assumption that if it can't parse that there's not gonna be any life or death stuff that depends on doing that. I should reread the section of the instructions on the text parser. It had some stuff on the logic used by it but I didn't really read it too closely; it'll probably save some invalid inputs to be more familiar with that.
    open grate
    (Maybe, but, interesting note: originally we were playing the mainframe version of Zork, but after a few moves I decided to sneakily switch over to the home computer release of Zork I, thinking the latter would be more polished. Anyway I checked, and in this version if you try and look through the house window it handles it better - it says something like 'you can see a kitchen', even if you haven't opened the window up yet.)

>open grate
    The grating is locked.

Guess I'll need to come back here later, then. I remember you said I can go west, but before I do that I'm gonna check the other options first.
    east
    Wait, no, checking everything would need me to check not just north and east, but sw/se/nw/ne too, wouldn't it. Nevermind, fuck that.
    west

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What are the best local convenience stores? Through Google Maps, I notice there is a Walgreens near the riverwalk.

Guess I'll need to come back here later, then. I remember you said I can go west, but before I do that I'm gonna check the other options first.
    east
    Wait, no, checking everything would need me to check not just north and east, but sw/se/nw/ne too, wouldn't it. Nevermind, fuck that.
    west
    >w
    Forest
    This is a forest, with trees in all directions. To the east, there appears to be sunlight.

w

w
    >w
    You would need a machete to go further west.

n

n
    >n
    Clearing
    You are in a clearing, with a forest surrounding you on all sides. A path leads south.
    There is a grating securely fastened into the ground.
    On the ground is a pile of leaves.
    You hear in the distance the chirping of a song bird.

...Hrm. The other tile with the grating didn't have a bird chirping in its description, so I think this is a different tile? Unless stuff like than can differ from visit to visit.
    jump into pile of leaves

...Hrm. The other tile with the grating didn't have a bird chirping in its description, so I think this is a different tile? Unless stuff like than can differ from visit to visit.
    jump into pile of leaves
    (I'll just tell you that it's the same place!)

>jump into pile of leaves
    Do you expect me to applaud?

Is this a "deviating from specific paths resets you to a certain tile" situation or non-euclidian?

edited January 2017
    Is this a "deviating from specific paths resets you to a certain tile" situation or non-euclidian?
    (More the latter. To quote the manual: "since some passages twist and curve, going NORTH from Place A to Place B doesn't always mean that SOUTH will take you back to Place A." I guess the idea is that, if you're in the forest, and aren't on a path, then you're lost in a forest maze and movement is intentionally confusing.)

wandering on
    Well, alright. If I start drawing up a map or something in mspaint I'll probably figure it out eventually.
    Before that, though, I wanna
    jump into pile of leaves
    until it stops giving me new dialogue.

edited January 2017
    Well, alright. If I start drawing up a map or something in mspaint I'll probably figure it out eventually.
    Before that, though, I wanna
    jump into pile of leaves
    until it stops giving me new dialogue.
    >jump into pile of leaves
    Very good. Now you can go to the second grade.

>jump
    Are you enjoying yourself?

>jump

>jump
    Are you enjoying yourself?

>jump

>jump
    Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

>jump

>jump

>jump

(Since the dialog is the same whether you jump into the pile of leaves of just jump, I thought I'd test to see if it's just ignoring everything after 'jump'...but, no, it is smarter than that)

>jump into purple wumpus
    I don't know the word "purple".

>jump into sword
    You can't see any sword here!

(Oh also...)

>count leaves
    There are 69,105 leaves here.

wandering on
    w

w
    >w
    Forest
    This is a forest, with trees in all directions. To the east, there appears to be sunlight.

Wait, I just noticed
    wandering wrote: »
    I think I'll try doing it blind first.
    west
    >west
    Forest
    This is the second tile I entered in this forest, isn't it. Jeez.
    Well,
    e
    I guess.

Wait, I just noticed
    I think I'll try doing it blind first.
    west
    >west
    Forest
    This is the second tile I entered in this forest, isn't it. Jeez.
    Well,
    e
    I guess.
    >e
    Forest path
    This is a path winding through a dimly lit forest. The path heads north-south from here. One particularly large tree with some low branches stands at the edge of the path.

I was kinda hoping that would take me back to the exit. Figured that would be a good point of reference to work with and it'd have been nice to know how to just leave if I decide to give up on figuring out the forest.
    Well, a path is probably nice too. Hopefully sticking to it means that directions will make sense.
    s

I was kinda hoping that would take me back to the exit. Figured that would be a good point of reference to work with and it'd have been nice to know how to just leave if I decide to give up on figuring out the forest.
    Well, a path is probably nice too. Hopefully sticking to it means that directions will make sense.
    s
    >s
    North of House
    You are facing the north side of a white house. There is no door here, and all the windows are boarded up. To the north a narrow path winds through the trees.

(To me, moving around the outside of the house seems unintentionally confusing, rather than intentionally confusing. So I'll just say that 'west of house' is west and 'behind house' is east. And then there's the forest path to the north.)

>North of House
    wh- bu- howwwwwww
    how
    n

edited January 2017
    >North of House
    wh- bu- howwwwwww
    how
    n

XCzNXdF.jpg

>n
    Forest path
    This is a path winding through a dimly lit forest. The path heads north-south from here. One particularly large tree with some low branches stands at the edge of the path.

wandering on
    n

n
    >n
    Clearing
    You are in a clearing, with a forest surrounding you on all sides. A path leads south.
    There is a grating securely fastened into the ground.
    On the ground is a pile of leaves.

Oh.
    Somehow hadn't really noticed that the mention of the path on this tile!
    Well,
    s then s
    then.

>s
    Forest path

>s
    North of House
    You are facing the north side of a white house. There is no door here, and all the windows are boarded up. To the north a narrow path winds through the trees.

Take three Lefts and get us out of here. Kappa

khd33hubozxv.png
    shimwood wrote: »
    Take three Lefts and get us out of here. Kappa
    >left
    I don't know the word "left".

(I guess the dungeon master's conservative.)

w
    (that'll get us to the west side of the house, yeah?)

edited January 2017
    w
    (that'll get us to the west side of the house, yeah?)
    (correct!)

>w
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded up front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

(So here we are - the iconic opening of the game. That we kinda skipped earlier.)

(Please enjoy this Zork cover art, which I love in all its cheesy glory:)

WelpAwj.jpg?1

(Regarding that cover, one of the authors of the game said in an interview: "it was so cheesy...I mean, it's clear that the artist had either played the game or gotten enough of a description to do what he thought was a good job. It just somehow managed to come across as out of character. But in any other circumstance it would be an awesome cover. When we took Zork back from Personal Software, we decided to do our own packaging with the help of Giardini Russell, the ad agency we were using.")

(...Also isn't the house in that cover Victorian style? The game clearly says the house is colonial!)

cMOOTAR.jpg

wandering on
    Heh, there's just something about the way all the individual elements of that guy combine that just makes him hilarious to me.
    Anyway, if it wasn't obvious yet, I'm trying to check all of the individual routes paths going off from the house in cardinal directions, so
    w

>w
    Forest
    You hear in the distance the chirping of a song bird.

Dammit.
    e

>e
    Forest path

This discussion has been closed.