As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I have the game and DLC, but I'm tempted to pick it up just for random on-the-go multiplayer.

I mean, me too. But I am trying to be rational here.

It is mario kart and reason never wins out in the end for me (it is how I ended up with a WiiU in the first place), but I can at least put up a fight.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Is the bump in performance for MK8 noticeable? Is it worth adding to the list of reasons to upgrade?

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is the bump in performance for MK8 noticeable? Is it worth adding to the list of reasons to upgrade?

Wii U Mario Kart 8 was 720p / 60 FPS, Switch is 1080p / 60 FPS, 720p /60 FPS when played portable (since that's the screen resolution).

There was also a bug in MK8 that has since been fixed - every 60 frames, one frame was simply repeated, so it was really like 59 FPS. Some graphics analysis people are able to perceive this and it bugs the hell out of them, they said it feels like constant stuttering that makes the game totally unplayable. Switch MK8 doesn't have that issue anymore.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Super Bomberman R looks kind of bad, at least for a full-priced game. The good parts of it are the parts that have always been good about Bomberman, i.e. everything that was in Bomberman Live on XBLA for $10 a decade ago.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Super Bomberman R looks kind of bad, at least for a full-priced game. The good parts of it are the parts that have always been good about Bomberman, i.e. everything that was in Bomberman Live on XBLA for $10 a decade ago.

The other $40 are to pay for the servers that run the cash shop.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

The fact that people around the internet immediately assumed that five characters and two levels on the demo were all that was on the game was silly anyway.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • 007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    I have to have the new Zelda - if any game can top Ocarina, this looks like it might be it (probably not, but it looks amazing)

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I WANT ARMS

This has been a reminder that I'm still super stoked for Arms

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I've slowly morphed from "All I'm going to do is play BotW for a year" to "there are a lot of fucking games I want to play immediately, can I get away with playing my Switch while I'm at the office".

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I WANT ARMS

Years of Guilty Gearing and Soul Caliburing is preventing me from generating any hype until I see the full combat mechanics. Because right now all I see is Rock Em Sock Em Waggle Bots (for now).

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I WANT ARMS

Years of Guilty Gearing and Soul Caliburing is preventing me from generating any hype until I see the full combat mechanics. Because right now all I see is Rock Em Sock Em Waggle Bots (for now).

You can press buttons too! But I get what you're saying.

Game looks like silly fun to me and probably not for the Fighting Game Aficionado.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    No Mon Hun announcement =[

J3qcnBP.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

the longer they don't talk about monhun the more concerned i get.

generations was so clearly a stopgap game on the mh4u engine that i don't know what capcom was doing if they're not at least far along enough to toss out a logo.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I bough MK8 and all the DLC on Wii U. I will buy MK8 Deluxe because I am a consumer whore and I loved MK8.

I have a feeling there was battle mode DLC planned as the final DLC for MK8 Wii U and it got held back for Switch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The fact that people around the internet immediately assumed that five characters and two levels on the demo were all that was on the game was silly anyway.

It kind of came off as a tech-demo game when initially announced, so I can understand it personally. Glad to see it's a more full-fledged experience, though.
    Knight_ wrote: »

the longer they don't talk about monhun the more concerned i get.

generations was so clearly a stopgap game on the mh4u engine that i don't know what capcom was doing if they're not at least far along enough to toss out a logo.

Well, Monster Hunter XX isn't even out in Japan yet.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    I've slowly morphed from "All I'm going to do is play BotW for a year" to "there are a lot of fucking games I want to play immediately, can I get away with playing my Switch while I'm at the office".

I'm considering Disgaea 5, even having missed most of the series.

From what I understand, getting it on Switch is kind of a coup for Nintendo. Disgaea games really don't get ported off Sony platforms. DS got Disgaea 1, and Steam is only up to Disgaea 2. It's pretty cool that they're making this move, and it leaves the door open for more of NIS's weird library.

Plus they are games that can just go on forever and could really help tide me over while I wait for Mario Odyssey.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    XX is G rank Generations though. Still on top of 4U engine with added monsters

I guess theyre waiting and seeing how the install base for Switch works out before they commit to 5?

idk i just want more mon hun. any console that has it will have my dollar

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    For me, the decision on MK8 comes down to the fact that when I look at the currently announced lineup, and I ask myself, which is the game that checks the following boxes:

-is a game with a lot of content
    -also replayability
    -good for single and multiplayer
    -is a good example of some of the Switch's more interesting features, meaning it'll be good in nearly every mode you can think of: traditional console, couch co-op with combination of joycons/pro controllers, portable play, portable co-op play with the joy cons.
    -a known quantity that nearly anyone can pick up and play

Is there another game that's been announced that really ticks all the switch boxes? 1 2 switch might be close, but that's not a single player experience at all. Arms might end up being a good game for this as well, but we don't know yet.

Basically, when I think of one single game to show off/explain to people what the swtich is actually capable of, that game won't be Zelda, it'll be MK8. That's why I'll probabaly end up with it, and why I'm kind of upset it isn't a launch title.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular

From what I understand, getting it on Switch is kind of a coup for Nintendo. Disgaea games really don't get ported off Sony platforms. DS got Disgaea 1, and Steam is only up to Disgaea 2. It's pretty cool that they're making this move, and it leaves the door open for more of NIS's weird library.

Plus they are games that can just go on forever and could really help tide me over while I wait for Mario Odyssey.

Disgaea has been on nintendo platforms before (the first one was on the DS at least), so it's not really unprecedented.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Disgaea has been on nintendo platforms before (the first one was on the DS at least), so it's not really unprecedented.

It's not too surprising. NIS does have a preference for Sony systems but knows that in Japan mobile is where it's at, and that Disgaea is a series that takes to mobile well. D3 and D4 were on the PSP and PSVita, but D5 didn't get ported over because the Vita apparently can't handle the game. There being a mobile console that can handle D5 was an opportunity waiting to be jumped on for them, no doubt.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited January 2017
    Heh, I just found an old article on that subject from the end of 2014...
    ...I know that there are many consumers who would like [D5 on Vita]. However, we are developing the game with PlayStation 4 specs, so to be honest, it's impossible to port the game to the PlayStation Vita. Porting the game without erasing a lot of features and cutting down the amount of assets would be very difficult, and of course, we do not wish to do that. I think there are people waiting for a "Return" version with all of the contents [and DLC] included, but I'm sorry, that will not happen this time. (laughs) If we were to port the game to a portable system, fans would probably have to wait for the next portable system after the Vita, but I haven't heard anything about this [system], so that would be far in the future. Disgaea 5 will have Remote Play. Do not wait for a PS Vita port, and please, play the PlayStation 4 version.

Really funny reading that now.

UncleSporky on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah it doesn't feel weird when you consider this a nintendo portable but I'm sure I'm not the only one who continually forgets to do so

but when you think 'disgaea is on the next nintendo console' it does seem surprising.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    XX is G rank Generations though. Still on top of 4U engine with added monsters

I guess theyre waiting and seeing how the install base for Switch works out before they commit to 5?

idk i just want more mon hun. any console that has it will have my dollar

Mon Hun is one of those things where I get really salty about non-simultaneous releases. 4U was a four month gap - frustrating but tolerable - but Generations was like, nine months after it came out in Japan.

I'm just kind of silently screaming, hoping we don't get that again.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Some info about how Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 is different from the normal release:
    First, HD Rumble is being implemented. You will feel vibration from the Joy-Con when slashing enemies, and it differs for each monster. If you slash a Slime for example, it gives off something like a jelly feeling, and if you slash a Golem, a rough / hard vibration will be felt. Also, while you are slashing a bunch of enemies, you’ll be able to notice that a Metal Slime is hidden somewhere in the crowd.

Really curious about how this tech feels, if it's even better than Vive haptics or something.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm...kind of...uncertain what role I want haptics to have in my games.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Some info about how Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 is different from the normal release:
    First, HD Rumble is being implemented. You will feel vibration from the Joy-Con when slashing enemies, and it differs for each monster. If you slash a Slime for example, it gives off something like a jelly feeling, and if you slash a Golem, a rough / hard vibration will be felt. Also, while you are slashing a bunch of enemies, you’ll be able to notice that a Metal Slime is hidden somewhere in the crowd.

Really curious about how this tech feels, if it's even better than Vive haptics or something.

I hear it's pretty impressive. Like it can convey individual objects in a bag or similar. There's a milking minigame where you can feel the milk flowing through, which is weird but kind of impressive.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

I hear it's pretty impressive. Like it can convey individual objects in a bag or similar. There's a milking minigame where you can feel the milk flowing through, which is weird but kind of impressive.

This could be awesome. Imagine if in Minecraft you feel the grit or hardness of certain mineral types, the crumbly ground blocks, things like that.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Is DQ heroes a waggle game?

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If it really is that good, I hope the API to implement it is simple and low-barrier of entry. 3rd parties won't support custom features, and just having rumble as an analog strength is pretty typical.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Is DQ heroes a waggle game?

it's a ps4/pc warriors game, so i doubt it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Athenor wrote: »
    If it really is that good, I hope the API to implement it is simple and low-barrier of entry. 3rd parties won't support custom features, and just having rumble as an analog strength is pretty typical.

Imagine if they can just run a texture/bump map through it and it feels relatively close, so for example if you make your character slide against a wall it gives you an impression of what the wall really feels like.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I just wonder how I'll feel about it once the wow factor wears off. It kind of sounds like something that might end up being distracting depending how hog wild they go with it, or how intense the stimulation is. It'd be one thing if I'm actually simulating the action like in "waggle" games, it's another when it's a "traditional" game with "traditional" controller.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Athenor wrote: »

Imagine if they can just run a texture/bump map through it and it feels relatively close, so for example if you make your character slide against a wall it gives you an impression of what the wall really feels like.

I'd really rather it just communicate the feelings you'd get from hands of the character.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

That was such a weird reaction to see. I mean, do people not get demos? I know, low expectations for Nintendo on occasion, but for real, try to be slightly logical there.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Is there no physical run of Snipperclips?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Snipper Clips is such a weird thing to me, because like, I know I will not have another person to play it with. I have heard there is a single player, but how? I don't see how that's possible... Bomberman at $30 would have been an instant buy, but $50 can fuck off. It'll probably go on sale or something eventually, maybe then I will try it if it doesn't get panned in reviews or something.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I will just say it: HD rumble would be perfect for erotica

But as much as Nintendo has loosened up, I doubt they would ever allow, say, Ladykiller in a Bind: Switch

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

But as much as Nintendo has loosened up, I doubt they would ever allow, say, Ladykiller in a Bind: Switch

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to write a PC driver for the joycons :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to write a PC driver for the joycons :P

Never underestimate the ingenuity of the perverse.

This discussion has been closed.