As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forgot to file a W-2 with my taxes

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
So in my hurry to do my taxes I completely forgot to include one of my w-2s.

This is mainly because this year I was contract for about 3 months before becoming permanent at my current position, so it completely escaped my mind that I should be getting a W-2 from the contracting agency.

So yeah, what should be my next step? My taxes have been accepted by the IRS already (I filed online),

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    You need to file an Amended Return

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    Is this a 2015 tax return that you're talking about? Because my understanding is that the IRS hasn't started accepting returns yet this year, not until Monday the 23rd. So if it's a 2016 1040 that we're talking about, I don't think the IRS has accepted it yet. Did you file via Turbotax, or something like that? Because if so, I bet they're just holding it for you, and it shouldn't be too late to recall it.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I filed through H and R. I weirdly got an email saying it had been accepted.

I'll try to call tomorrow!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I filed a tax return without a W2 a few years ago. I kept meaning to get a new copy, kept putting it off. After a few months, I just got a polite letter from the IRS asking me to please submit a W2. It wasn't a big deal. No penalties or anything.

It might be different if there's something irregular, like if you declared $250k in income in 2015 while in 2016 you're suddenly minimum wage. Otherwise I wouldn't stress about it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    localh77 wrote: »
    Is this a 2015 tax return that you're talking about? Because my understanding is that the IRS hasn't started accepting returns yet this year, not until Monday the 23rd. So if it's a 2016 1040 that we're talking about, I don't think the IRS has accepted it yet. Did you file via Turbotax, or something like that? Because if so, I bet they're just holding it for you, and it shouldn't be too late to recall it.

They're already accepting returns. They're holding returns on those claiming the Earned Income Credit, or the Additional Child Credit, until February 15th.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven't even gotten my W2s yet

YL9WnCY.png
    DeShadowC wrote: »

They're already accepting returns. They're holding returns on those claiming the Earned Income Credit, or the Additional Child Credit, until February 15th.

I suppose it's possible. But I'm an accountant, and my tax software won't let me efile 1040s yet. According to this IRS link, the season doesn't start until the 23rd: https://www.irs.gov/uac/2017-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-23-for-nations-taxpayers-with-tax-returns-due-april-18.

It's possible something has changed since they posted that, but I know it's similar every year. It says part way down the article that software companies will accept returns before that in some cases, but they will just hold on to them until the IRS computers start accepting them.

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular

I suppose it's possible. But I'm an accountant, and my tax software won't let me efile 1040s yet. According to this IRS link, the season doesn't start until the 23rd: https://www.irs.gov/uac/2017-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-23-for-nations-taxpayers-with-tax-returns-due-april-18.

It's possible something has changed since they posted that, but I know it's similar every year. It says part way down the article that software companies will accept returns before that in some cases, but they will just hold on to them until the IRS computers start accepting them.

I filled electronically on the 17th, and as of the 19th on the IRS where's my refund site, mine shows accepted/received.

I filled electronically on the 17th, and as of the 19th on the IRS where's my refund site, mine shows accepted/received.

Very strange. But good to know, I'll check it out, maybe I can be filing stuff earlier! Thanks.