As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Snipper Clips is such a weird thing to me, because like, I know I will not have another person to play it with. I have heard there is a single player, but how? I don't see how that's possible...

Snipperclips was once an indie game called Friendshapes, and its first trailer shows how you do single player: just by switching characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJGooKIoy1Q

You know what might be better than having to switch characters, though, if they'd just let you use each half of the controller for each character independently. Sort of like playing the Mario & Luigi games where A is Mario and B is Luigi.

They say at the end of that video that despite the game being suited for multiplayer, they wanted to work on a full single player campaign too, but who knows, plans may have changed on that front.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Bless the people keeping this updated

wU46nuZ.jpg?1

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'd not heard of I Am Setsuna. seems like good stuff.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This Switch Roadmap is gonna start needing links in it to info about stuff.

There's things on there I'm genuinely curious about that I have no idea what they are or may be. Granted, I Am On The Internet, so it's not the hardest thing to google Dungeons of Zaar, but, you know what I mean.

Dungeons of Zaar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW1nbjSiQh0

Hollow Knight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8lbFP8i730

Seasons of Heaven (in case anyone's forgotten)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCavQVzNrc

• Options
    edited January 2017
    So this random person correctly predicted one of the Switch's big secrets, the HD rumble, back on December 14.

But that's not the important part. The important part is the demonstration of this particular company's rumble tech, which may or may not be what Nintendo is using, but isn't out of the question until a teardown.

You really need to see this, skip to 1:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6rMa9_UvQ

You can see how well it could tie into many types of games. A bowstring implementation is already said to be in Breath of the Wild.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    yki6tje8qkia.jpg

Here's my switch list.

Since that's 2 games less than the total games I played last year, seems like a pretty good year.

I asked for a traditional Mario game, and they're finally doing one.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to:
    Mario Kart 8
    Project Octopath Traveller
    Sonic Mania
    Fast Racing Neo
    Arms
    Breath of the wild

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I was like, what is Graceful Explosion Machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCiMciOjDC0

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    So this random person correctly predicted one of the Switch's big secrets, the HD rumble, back on December 14.

But that's not the important part. The important part is the demonstration of this particular company's rumble tech, which may or may not be what Nintendo is using, but isn't out of the question until a teardown.

You really need to see this, skip to 1:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6rMa9_UvQ

You can see how well it could tie into many types of games. A bowstring implementation is already said to be in Breath of the Wild.

Wow, that's really, really awesome. Tricking your senses that way looks fun, especially if one can feel shapes, move pebbles and find buttons in the darkness.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to:
    Mario Kart 8
    Sonic Mania
    Fast Racing Neo
    Arms
    Breath of the wild

My list currently is:

Breath of the Wild
    Mario Odyssey
    Redout
    I Am Setsuna (haven't played it yet, so why not)
    Lego Undercover
    Xenoblade 2
    Fire Emblem
    Pokemon (I've never actually played a Pokemon before)

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Snipper Clips is such a weird thing to me, because like, I know I will not have another person to play it with. I have heard there is a single player, but how? I don't see how that's possible... Bomberman at $30 would have been an instant buy, but $50 can fuck off. It'll probably go on sale or something eventually, maybe then I will try it if it doesn't get panned in reviews or something.

I'm pretty sure I read that you press a button to swap between the characters in Snipperclips.

Edit: beaten to it.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Maz- wrote: »
    Bless the people keeping this updated

(An Image of Lots of Great Games Announced for Switch)

This is a great list and illustrates exactly why I am so excited for Switch (lots of games that I am personally interested in), but I feel compelled to note that any game listed under TBA isn't something you should hold your breath for. For all we know, the only thing that the companies know about those games are that they'd like to work on them and they're assembling a team to explore the possibility, etc. Too many variables in that box for me to get really excited.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hmmm... looking at that list for 2017:
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild (might just get for WiiU)
    Fire Emblem Warriors
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Everything else I'm interested in I either have already or will be buying on PS4/PC. Over half that list is multiplatforms that will run better on other platforms.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Things without question marks are a near-definite purchase, maybe I should've question marked Bomberman I dunno. Will most likely end up getting a lot of the question marks too.

xomBmTf.png

Definitely interested in multiplatform games that I can play portable, with that level of graphics.

The main thing holding me back from Skyrim isn't that I already own it, or that I just recently had put a lot of time into a new playthrough, or fears of it being compromised graphically...it's that it's dual analog instead of mouse. I don't know if I'll be able to learn to play that way as well as I could on PC. But it's tempting just to have a game that expansive and awesome on a portable. I had dreamed of impossible things like a port of Morrowind to 3DS...I should probably support this. People give Bethesda a lot of shit about the bugginess of their games and bad decisions they make, but I feel like Skyrim is the most solid out of the box that they ever made.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Man, I wish I had time to play Skyrim again.

By the way, I saw something on Twitter that said Puyo Puyo Tetris would have a digital release after all... can anyone confirm that? That game would be perfect to keep on my Switch all the time whenever I'm in the mood for a quick game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

By the way, I saw something on Twitter that said Puyo Puyo Tetris would have a digital release after all... can anyone confirm that? That game would be perfect to keep on my Switch all the time whenever I'm in the mood for a quick game.

Why wouldn't it get a digital release?

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Why wouldn't it get a digital release?

Someone said the Tetris Company was being pissy.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I will just say it: HD rumble would be perfect for erotica

But as much as Nintendo has loosened up, I doubt they would ever allow, say, Ladykiller in a Bind: Switch
    But if they did the game could be called

Ladykiller Switch: Or My Twin Brother Made Me Switch With Him And Now I Have To Deal with A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty With A Switch!!

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I heard that PP Tetris will be 30 digitally, 40 physical on Switch. Only getting a digital release on PS4 for the same cost.

I have a copy for PS4 from my time teaching in Japan and I think $30 for always having a fun puzzle game on my Switch is well worth double dipping, especially since the Switch will always allow 2 people to play. Gonna miss the characters saying "TETORIS!", though.

First year of Switch for me looks like Zelda, PP Tetris, Has-Been Heroes, Snipperclips, Mario, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, and possibly MK8 Deluxe. That's alright by me.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Things without question marks are a near-definite purchase, maybe I should've question marked Bomberman I dunno. Will most likely end up getting a lot of the question marks too.

xomBmTf.png

Definitely interested in multiplatform games that I can play portable, with that level of graphics.

The main thing holding me back from Skyrim isn't that I already own it, or that I just recently had put a lot of time into a new playthrough, or fears of it being compromised graphically...it's that it's dual analog instead of mouse. I don't know if I'll be able to learn to play that way as well as I could on PC. But it's tempting just to have a game that expansive and awesome on a portable. I had dreamed of impossible things like a port of Morrowind to 3DS...I should probably support this. People give Bethesda a lot of shit about the bugginess of their games and bad decisions they make, but I feel like Skyrim is the most solid out of the box that they ever made.

I mean, you can play skyrim with dual stick instead of a mouse, but why? It just flat out controls better that way IMO. That and even if mods are available not all of the mods that are available on PC will be available on switch (as the most complex ones require injecting the executable). I guess there's a reason for it, if you really want a mobile experience, but that's not really the game I think of when I think of games I want to be able to take with me.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So the Wii U thread, the one that's the last hurrah before the Switch arrives, has closed with more than a month to go.

Not that I think much will come up for Wii U in the intervening time, but if it does, do we just talk about it here?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    We need to talk about Colour Splash somewhere. Man, I loved Colour Splash.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So the Wii U thread, the one that's the last hurrah before the Switch arrives, has closed with more than a month to go.

Not that I think much will come up for Wii U in the intervening time, but if it does, do we just talk about it here?

Good question. I was going to ask @Bobkins Flymo what he thought. I don't see the need for a new Wii U thread, so maybe our last comments or "best-of" stuff can reside here for a bit?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah, I was going to ask about the DLC characters in Hyrule Warriors... are they worth it? Do you get anything with them besides the characters themselves?

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The only games I know I'm picking up for certain are Zelda, Mario, Disgaea 5, and Fire Emblem 2018. Of that list my hopefuls are Octopath, SMT, FE Warriors, and No More Heroes 3.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was going to ask about the DLC characters in Hyrule Warriors... are they worth it? Do you get anything with them besides the characters themselves?

It gets complicated.

The DLC developed for vanilla Hyrule Warriors will also come with more adventure maps. These characters are in Hyrule Warriors Legends as unlockables deeper in the adventure maps.

The DLC developed for Hyrule Warriors Legends just unlocks the characters in vanilla, same with the new chars in HWL. But it's so pretty...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I mean, you can play skyrim with dual stick instead of a mouse, but why? It just flat out controls better that way IMO. That and even if mods are available not all of the mods that are available on PC will be available on switch (as the most complex ones require injecting the executable). I guess there's a reason for it, if you really want a mobile experience, but that's not really the game I think of when I think of games I want to be able to take with me.

I never thought that Skyrim needed mods, I always install a minimum of them. Like quest markers for all the stones of Barenziah, and maybe a more functional world map that shows roads and such, and that's it.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Why is DQX on that graphic

No way in hell is America/Europe getting DQX

Unless that's all the games coming for Switch, Japan included? But that can't be right

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Switch is region free... so I mean technically you can get it here even if it doesnt get localized.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

I never thought that Skyrim needed mods, I always install a minimum of them. Like quest markers for all the stones of Barenziah, and maybe a more functional world map that shows roads and such, and that's it.

Yeah Skyrim was a pretty solid game out of the box, at least by the standards of the day; I haven't played it recently enough to gauge how it hangs in a world where the Witcher 3 exists.

Also, I thought Skyrim's UI was really tailor made for controller use. I vaguely recall that being one of the biggest knocks against it at release.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    According to Steam, I have 220 hours logged in Skyrim, and nearly all of that was with a controller. Two complaints really:

1) The jump button is kind of in a weird place. They didn't really have a lot of options I guess.
    2) It's hard to catch butterflies.

Other than that it controls quite well with twin sticks.

• Options

Yeah Skyrim was a pretty solid game out of the box, at least by the standards of the day; I haven't played it recently enough to gauge how it hangs in a world where the Witcher 3 exists.

Also, I thought Skyrim's UI was really tailor made for controller use. I vaguely recall that being one of the biggest knocks against it at release.

That's one of the things that's easily fixable with mods on PC.

There's a lot of really good content mods like Moonpath to Elsweyr that are worth playing. There's also mods like the unofficial patches that fix a lot of quest/item/npc statistic/placement bugs that bethesda never fixed.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    We need to talk about Colour Splash somewhere. Man, I loved Colour Splash.

So is there a moratorium on a catch-all Mario thread? I mean, there is a Zelda thread that periodically gets taken over by Hyrule Warriors chatter, I don't see why there couldn't be one for Mario. I just beat Mario RPG and I have thoughts!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Switch is region free... so I mean technically you can get it here even if it doesnt get localized.

It's an MMO

I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to play in the US

• Options
    edited January 2017

It's an MMO

I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to play in the US

They removed the game's IP block in 2014.

But I mean it's in Japanese, good luck anyway.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Yeah, I heard one of the major stumbling blocks to DQ X getting here was the fire hose of text.

• Options
    I think you need a japanese billing address to actually make an account though, so even though you can connect from here there's no way to actually get a subscription (well, I mean there is, but the barrier for entry here is pretty damn high).

• Options
    I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to bring it over, though. It was designed to work on Wii hardware originally, it should work fine on Switch, and would be the first MMO for the platform (and only, for the foreseeable future). And again...MMO on a portable.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the Wii U talk can go here, but I'd prefer it to be related to the Switch in some way.

Basically, I don't want this to become the "Nintendo" thread which is way too broad

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.