As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The Onmyodo demon at the top of the hill in the Twilight mission is a real son of a bitch, which makes it even more amusing that you had to fight two at once during that sub-mission in the beta.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Fuck me twilight mode is just silly

It's better once you have some level appropriate armor. Turns out the defense multiplier is actually super important.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It is very hard to get out of the dark souls mentality of ignoring armour for its stats and focusing on pretty princess dress up

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Mind you they do mean the actual level, not the type. Level 25 Light armor is gonna be far more effective than something in the teens. Definitely feels like the Twilight thing is gonna be something you'll do to replay an old mission with new enemies, but only after reaching the appropriate level through the normal missions.

As for Pretty Princess Dress Up™, you can transmog any type of armor to look like any other. Wearing mostly light but my chest is a cool one pauldron heavy piece.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    okay so i played a lot of souls games and my question is

am i supposed to be eating this much shit

i don't think i'm really "getting" how the dodging and stamina works in this game

Play the tutorial in the dojo.

A tutorial? Its automatically better than Dark Souls! Day 1.

In all seriousness, while the animation appears more stiff, this game makes me happy.

I'm at the Ogress but she's beating me through attrition.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0zXVWzMuXg

In this video, the player is getting far more DPS with a standard Katana and stance than I am. Can anyone explain what item and techniques are happening here?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    More than likely have more points in the Heart stat than you do, beefs the damage up for swords. Or just outlevels her outright so has a higher level weapon.

Keep close and dodge around her. Apparently the Twilight version will punish you with a butt-swipe for doing that but it works fine normally.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    More than likely have more points in the Heart stat than you do, beefs the damage up for swords. Or just outlevels her outright so has a higher level weapon.

Keep close and dodge around her. Apparently the Twilight version will punish you with a butt-swipe for doing that but it works fine normally.

This actually still works in twilight. Her turn attack isn't too hard to read.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Goodness 2v1 fights can be annoying. Especially when a lot of them take place in already cramped spaces.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    okay so i played a lot of souls games and my question is

am i supposed to be eating this much shit

i don't think i'm really "getting" how the dodging and stamina works in this game

Play the tutorial in the dojo.

it does not play like souls, it just looks like souls.
    It plays a little bit like Souls. Just enough that you want to play it the same way and that does not work.

I just went back it and beat Ogress. I think I'm adjusting to it now.

This game is fantastic.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I really hope in the full release the difficulty curve is set up because going from the First mission to the Duel and twilight mission was kind of weird difficulty wise like the spike was kind of weird and off-putting.

• Options
    Considering there's a 20 level difference between the first mission and the other two, it would be weird if there wasn't a giant spike. The previous betas had levels that were closer together and the difficulty curve was fine.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Fighting Ogress is going better, but the camera shits itself every time she jumps and I don't know where to evade.

Losing your spirit animal upon death is super shitty. I'm just going to call for it and grind the meter back up each time I die to a boss.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I love this game.

I stopped playing after I beat Normal Ogress because I really just wanted to make sure I get the rewards (and apparently, that is sufficient). I'm definitely sold on the game and will be picking it up in two weeks. No need to spoil more of the game at this point.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Fighting Ogress is going better, but the camera shits itself every time she jumps and I don't know where to evade.

Losing your spirit animal upon death is super shitty. I'm just going to call for it and grind the meter back up each time I die to a boss.

Er...what spirit animal? There's some way to use it? All I saw of it was the wolf is my corpse when I died.

For Ogress in Normal, just circle around her to the upper left from your perspective. She only has a few attacks that can hit you if you keep circling around her right side (left on your screen).

Lock on and stay close. When she jumps (and the camera jumps), I found that pushing the left analog stick backward toward yourself and dodging twice nearly always works. I believe dodging provides a couple of i-frames, or at least the hit radius is generously small on the jump attack despite the visual. For the other attacks, just keep circling to the upper left, or circle-dodging to the upper left. You don't actually need to dodge most of the attacks if you keep circling. She telegraphs most of her moves pretty generously.

Always attack her butt or her side if you miss her butt. Never hit her in the face. Too risky since most of her attacks are forward-facing and you may not be able to dodge out of the way if you initiate an attack.

It did take me 5 or 6 times. I had more trouble with the birdman spear enemy. I ended up using the Footman Spear he dropped to beat Ogress in High Stance. I also used the Weaken onmyo spell which helps at the beginning of the fight.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    btw, for those who aren't aware, there's TWO tutorials. when the demo starts it only prompts you to play the first one. the second one explains how ranged weapons work & your spirit animal stuff.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Er...what spirit animal? There's some way to use it? All I saw of it was the wolf is my corpse when I died.

For Ogress in Normal, just circle around her to the upper left from your perspective. She only has a few attacks that can hit you if you keep circling around her right side (left on your screen).

Lock on and stay close. When she jumps (and the camera jumps), I found that pushing the left analog stick backward toward yourself and dodging twice nearly always works. I believe dodging provides a couple of i-frames, or at least the hit radius is generously small on the jump attack despite the visual. For the other attacks, just keep circling to the upper left, or circle-dodging to the upper left. You don't actually need to dodge most of the attacks if you keep circling. She telegraphs most of her moves pretty generously.

Always attack her butt or her side if you miss her butt. Never hit her in the face. Too risky since most of her attacks are forward-facing and you may not be able to dodge out of the way if you initiate an attack.

It did take me 5 or 6 times. I had more trouble with the birdman spear enemy. I ended up using the Footman Spear he dropped to beat Ogress in High Stance. I also used the Weaken onmyo spell which helps at the beginning of the fight.

Your sweet fire puppy is one of four spirit animals you can channel into your sword for invincibility, unlimited Ki and attacks, although attacking and being attack cause the time you have it to be reduced.

When the emblem on the top left of your screen is full, press Circle and Triangle to summon it. You can change between them at a save point.

I didn't know about the second tutorial. Can I get to it in the middle of a mission?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    not sure. I got to it from the non-level marker on the map (which lets you go to the blacksmith and other stuff)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Pressing Circle+Triangle again after summoning always does a special attack with the spirit animal.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ah...Tecmo still doesn't know how to make a decent camera I see.

Some things never change.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Beat Twilight Ogress an hour ago. Yeah, once you know to get in her face, the fight seems fairly trivial.

My favourite style right now is single katana, low stance, with the skill that lets you do forward+X to do a jump kick off the enemy and land down with your sword. Most of the regular NPCs and Yokai don't block, so you can mash Square a couple of times, then finish with that. It leaves you almost empty of ki, but with just enough so you can do a dodge or evade if you need to.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    So...hmm...I'm seeing that its best to focus on one weapon until you fill out the skill tree.

Some of those skills are game changers.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Do you get any rewards for beating lightning samurai guy? Also, anyone else getting "Content not available" when trying to redeem the Mark of the Conqueror reward?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Do you get any rewards for beating lightning samurai guy? Also, anyone else getting "Content not available" when trying to redeem the Mark of the Conqueror reward?

RE: Beating "Lightning Guy" — No full game reward, just the opportunity to use Raiken, the Lightning Dog as your spirit animal.

RE: Mark of the Conqueror — Apparently it's a known issue and Koei/Tecmo intends to fix it such that all eligible players will be able to acquire by the week of release. That's according a reddit thread about the issue.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    When does the demo "end"? I didn't get a chance to play this weekend.

• Options
    Alas, it was only up for the weekend.

• Options
    Anyway, after futzing around with the chain sickle, I have come to the conclusion that you should only ever use low stance. The square chain actually hurts like hell, and you have 2 finishers you can add depending on playstyle. It also has a nifty long range pull for getting in on yokai or messing up humans. Plus it has the longest ranged dodge, which is the only defensive action you should ever use wearing light armor. Then there's the bunny spirit that buffs low stance damage and ninjutsu. So yeah, low stance forever. Also being a ninja.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Alas, it was only up for the weekend.

*sad boop*. Guess I'll have to pick it up when it comes out next month.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...hmm...I'm seeing that its best to focus on one weapon until you fill out the skill tree.

Some of those skills are game changers.

It's worth noting that you can dip some skill points into other weapons for some of their passive benefits. I was almost exclusively a single-katana wielder, but I dumped 10 skill points into the top of the Axe tree because one of the benefits is +100 Life. You don't need to be wielding the axe to get the benefit. Ditto for the dual-katanas - I think there was a passive there that gave +5 Ki. Both of those passives had 3 tiers to it so you could get even more out of them, but of course, the demo had those locked behind ??? additional skill requirements.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've never played any the Souls games knowing that they just aren't my kind of game. Unfortunately, Nioh is another game I'm going to really enjoy watching people like Helloween do a Let's Play of, but is absolutely not something I enjoy playing. I'm glad I go to try the demo but was never able to make it past the two enemies by the water. Every time I reached them I was either immediately was killed or fell into the water killing myself.

As I said, I'm glad I got to try the game and I did like the feeling of making through any encounter unscathed, but the slow, methodical, and punishing style of gameplay isn't for me. However, I will really enjoy watching people who are good at this type of game play it and appreciate it from a distance.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I'm not really understanding people saying this doesn't play like Dark Souls. It plays nearly exactly like Dark Souls. The combat is a bit more combo heavy, and the enemies can kill you a bit easier, but from a game play feel perspective it feels almost exactly halfway between Bloodborne and Dark Souls in terms of speed and flow. It's a bit faster than Dark Souls, but not nearly as fast as Bloodborne.

Where the game diverges considerably is the loot system, which is much closer to an MMO or Diablo style loot setup. You won't be dumping tons of time/items in to a single weapon, but a style of weapon, for which you'll find upgrades along the way. Armor is also more important as it's not just pretty dress up time, but has stats that matter.

To say Team Ninja took considerable design cues from the Souls series would be a massive understatement. This is basically just Team Ninja's take on that formula...and that's perfectly fine. I had a ton of fun with the demo and it cemented that I'll be picking this up in a couple of weeks.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm not really understanding people saying this doesn't play like Dark Souls. It plays nearly exactly like Dark Souls. The combat is a bit more combo heavy, and the enemies can kill you a bit easier, but from a game play feel perspective it feels almost exactly halfway between Bloodborne and Dark Souls in terms of speed and flow. It's a bit faster than Dark Souls, but not nearly as fast as Bloodborne.

Where the game diverges considerably is the loot system, which is much closer to an MMO or Diablo style loot setup. You won't be dumping tons of time/items in to a single weapon, but a style of weapon, for which you'll find upgrades along the way. Armor is also more important as it's not just pretty dress up time, but has stats that matter.

To say Team Ninja took considerable design cues from the Souls series would be a massive understatement. This is basically just Team Ninja's take on that formula...and that's perfectly fine. I had a ton of fun with the demo and it cemented that I'll be picking this up in a couple of weeks.

This all sounds like it will be a DS style game with little changes that all appeal to me more!

More progression in the skills/gear and more combos.

I'm very interested.

• Options
    I'd actually say it's about the same speed as Bloodborne, once you get the rhythm down.

But yeah I still think it's very much a Souls-like game (even the Ki pulse thing seems like something of an evolution of Bloodborne's rally mechanic), and that's absolutely fine. It's got enough of its own stuff going on that it's still plenty interesting. I think people might chafe at it because they're sick of that particular comparison, or don't want it dismissed as a Lords of the Fallen-esque wannabe, but I feel like it very much wears the Souls influence on its sleeve.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    It may be weapon/armor type dependent. I was using an Uchigatana with heavy armor, so it felt slower than BB to me. I can see if you're using dual katanas and light armor how it may feel closer to BB in speed.

My only issue with the Ki pulse mechanic is that it can be hard to see the blue glow around you at times, especially when the camera freaks out or a boss is in the way. I hope they make that more visually obvious in the full release, or give it a sound cue or something.

Overall really looking forward to this. Will tide me over until the second DaS3 DLC releases (and hopefully we'll get some Bloodborne 2 news soon).

e: Also, I liked Lords of the Fallen for what it was. It was not nearly as good a game as any of the Souls games, but I had fun with it and beat it a couple of times.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I played through the demo almost entirely in low stance katana and chain sickle, yeah. That colors my perception of the game speed.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i beat the samurai with chain sickle medium stance, and ogress with chain sickle high

but most of the trash enemies I fought with low

chain sickle high stance does absolutely insane amounts of stamina damage

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh so even within a weapon type (katana) there are multiple types with different move-sets/speeds?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh so even within a weapon type (katana) there are multiple types with different move-sets/speeds?

Yeah each has a high, mid, low stance.

High: High damage and stamina usage, low defense.

Mid: Balanced

Low: Low damage and stamina usage, high defense.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    This game is sounding more and more rad.

• Options
    Not only that, but there are different types of weapons per archetype. In the demo there were two types of Uchigatanas (single two-handed katana) with slightly different characteristics, but both taking advantage of the single katana skills and stats.

• Options
    Yeah the variations seem to mostly take advantage of different stat scaling.