As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

1939495969799»

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I think the Wii U talk can go here, but I'd prefer it to be related to the Switch in some way.

Basically, I don't want this to become the "Nintendo" thread which is way too broad

RIP wii u thread
    goodnight sweet prince; we hardly knew ye games (but are going to get them all again on the Switch anyway)

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Disgaea is the PS4 version no downgrades.

They said was a breeze to port. Vita version would have been compromised and downgraded. This is 1:1 port even in handheld.

I'll grab day 1 reading that

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I think the original quote of D5 on Vita was that it was "impossible."

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I found that weird. D5 is certainly great resolution and everything but, eh. Didn't seem too technically out of reach for the Vita. But whatever I didn't code the game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean...if World of Final Fantasy works on the Vita (and it does, albeit with massive amount of downsampling and shitty load times), I am fairly certain they could have gotten D5 working on the Vita without issue, maybe a minor downgrade in visual fidelity.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Man, I wish I had time to play Skyrim again.

By the way, I saw something on Twitter that said Puyo Puyo Tetris would have a digital release after all... can anyone confirm that? That game would be perfect to keep on my Switch all the time whenever I'm in the mood for a quick game.

I think the Switch version will have a digital release, while the PS4 version will not.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My switch list is

Zelda
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Shovel Knight
    Rime
    Lego City
    Octopath Travaler
    Hollow Knight I guess? Looks kind of cool

honestly, a bigger list than I was expecting

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I definitely see my Switch being my top choice for indie games. Those will probably keep me busy between Nintendo releases.

• Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Since we're listing:

Zelda
    snipperclips
    Maybe MK8 and Lego City, but I've logged dozens of hours in each on Wii U.
    Has Been Heroes (when will we see something more about this?)
    Shovel Knight
    Octopath Traveller

Will re-evaluate in the summer once the picture for the latter part of the year takes shape. Still hoping for a Switch version of Tropical Freeze.

Edit: also Stardew Valley.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Disgaea 5 not being ported to the Vita is like the Unreal Engine not being ported to Wii U.

Sure, if they actually cared they could probably make it work, but it's not the worth the time or energy.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Disgaea 5 not being ported to the Vita is like the Unreal Engine not being ported to Wii U.

Sure, if they actually cared they could probably make it work, but it's not the worth the time or energy.

They ported 4. I trust that they have a legitimate reason for 5 being too high a hurdle for the platform.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Something I've been thinking about is possibly doing some Wii U (and eventually Switch) streaming, now that I have it hooked up to one of my computer monitors. Anyone have any suggestions to good capture units/solutions?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    LD50 wrote: »
    Cokomon wrote: »

They ported 4. I trust that they have a legitimate reason for 5 being too high a hurdle for the platform.

The two articles being discussed above:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-30/nis-president-ps-vita-version-of-disgaea-5-is-impossible/.82756
    I know that there are many consumers who would like this. However, we are developing the game with PlayStation 4 specs, so to be honest, it's impossible to port the game to the PlayStation Vita. Porting the game without erasing a lot of features and cutting down the amount of assets would be very difficult, and of course, we do not wish to do that.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nis-on-porting-from-ps4-to-switch-why-disgaea-5-was-chosen-as-first-game-for-the-system/
    Aside from that, Disgaea 5 was originally exclusive to PlayStation 4 and you can play it with Vita using Remote Play, but it wasn’t really a game for a portable device. However, NIS received many requests to port it to Vita. But if there was a Vita port, it would be necessary to downgrade the game. Since there has been high demand for Disgaea 5 to be on portable device, porting it to Switch would be a way of satisfying Nippon Ichi’s customers and fulfilling their demands.

Famitsu further questioned whether porting to Switch went smoothly. He reconfirmed that this was the case. There weren’t any issues with the hardware, and no downgrades were made.

They emphasize multiple times in the second article that porting to Switch was incredibly easy and they didn't have to make any downgrades or compromises.

There were also some doom and gloom articles around Disgaea 5's release that it "might be their last game" and fans had to buy it to keep the studio alive (which they later backtracked on). Regardless, if things were looking a bit dire for the company, I could understand not wanting to have to even go to the effort of downgrading some assets...they needed it to be as cheap and smooth a port as possible.

Vita certainly has a bigger install base than the Switch, but perhaps still not enough to justify what the port would've cost, judging by their past historical data on Vita sales. And being out near the launch of Switch will put a lot of focus on their game for at least a year, as one of only a few retail titles available. Heck it's one of the reasons I'm considering it, normally I don't like getting entries in a series when I haven't played the intervening ones, even if it's not a big deal.

Cool side note from that second article:
    When asked if NIS will make more games for Switch, Niikawa responded with a solid yes. The company won’t just make a game for launch and call it quits. Niikawa asks gamers to look forward to an announcement in the future.

Just a week ago, they were only saying it was a good possibility, now it seems they're full steam ahead.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I like how D5 only needed to sell 150k copies to turn a profit.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://nintendoeverything.com/nis-on-porting-from-ps4-to-switch-why-disgaea-5-was-chosen-as-first-game-for-the-system/
    Aside from that, Disgaea 5 was originally exclusive to PlayStation 4 and you can play it with Vita using Remote Play, but it wasn’t really a game for a portable device. However, NIS received many requests to port it to Vita. But if there was a Vita port, it would be necessary to downgrade the game. Since there has been high demand for Disgaea 5 to be on portable device, porting it to Switch would be a way of satisfying Nippon Ichi’s customers and fulfilling their demands.

Famitsu further questioned whether porting to Switch went smoothly. He reconfirmed that this was the case. There weren’t any issues with the hardware, and no downgrades were made.

Well no shit there was a high demand for a mobile port, NIS. Do they fundamentally not understand the relationship between mobile gaming and the number of play hours a Disgaea game tends to demand from its player?

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Cool video, reactions from people around the world who played Switch at preview events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0O9DP7e520

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    LD50 wrote: »
    I like how D5 only needed to sell 150k copies to turn a profit.

It probably didn't have horrific development costs. Disgaea gets to recycle a lot of assets and I wouldn't be surprised if there were significant amounts of code from the first game still kicking about in there.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    More indie games on Nintendo platforms is neat

But if those same indies come to PS4 I'll be getting them there instead

Portability is nice but I like Trophies more

More on the dock being ridiculously overpriced: ProJared (the same guy who did the 'switch' interview with Reggie) saw the inside of a dock during the event (apparently the docks that they had were cut open to make room for the steel plate and cord that the switches were attached to for safety reasons) and there is nothing inside of them except for the cabling that attaches the various ports together.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I tracked down a video of Puyo Puyo Tetris out of curiosity, and I went from "very skeptical" to "hyper enthusiastic" in about five minutes, so, hey. Looks like I know what my second Switch game will be.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
This discussion has been closed.