As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

19596979899101»

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Agreed. No more playing nice. Civility is already dead. We get mad at people who worry more about their moral purity than getting stuff done. Shit needs doing and we just have to get used to getting dirty too.

We can troll right back at them. Traitors and collaborators deserve no better.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    http://www.avclub.com/article/trumps-new-press-secretary-five-year-running-feud--248859

Your White House press secretary, everyone.

sdas09S.jpg?1

This is legit. Legit insane.

Its not exactly insanity. This is textbook, "How Social Media will affect millennials in Politics". Nobody years ago including Splicer could of predicted that he'd be where he is at today. I won't join the hate train for this one. We all posted stupid shit on social media before. Its just that his posting stupid shit and entering the spotlight is new, and that's why these status are strange to everyone.

That doesn't matter, though. Like, everybody has at some point cut somebody off in traffic, but if it comes out that Spicer once cut somebody off in traffic we might as well yell "god what a fucking asshole! What kind of person cuts somebody off in traffic?" because

1, the ultimate goal here is to embarrass and discredit this administration
    2, if the situation were reversed the right wouldn't hesitate and Clinton's press secretary CJ Craig would be CJ "Dippin' Dots" Craig on Fox News forever and conservatives would roll coal down the street to take selfies of themselves defiantly scarfing on Dippin' Dots just to show liberals who the real Americans are because only patriots support the ice cream of the future and Democrats' heads would be exploding over the pettiness and there would be many long-winded forum posts about how Dippin' Dots contributes only to non-intersectional feminism and so they deserve to be boycotted and none of those lefty reactions would stop CNN from asking about Dippin' Dots at every WH press briefing from now until the end of time

So we might as well stop leaving weapons on the table, no matter how small or stupid, because the ultimate goal is to embarrass and discredit this administration, and if making them look foolish also makes me look foolish I'll have all the photographs of all the lives saved when the next election goes the other way to comfort me in my foolishness.

I mean, Dippin' Dots isn't going to bring down Trump, but you can't build a wall without bricks. This is a very minor example of the sort of shit the Democrats need to be prepared to embrace. We need to a little bit unfair. A teensy bit petty. We need to withhold the benefit of the doubt from our enemies, because they will not extend it to us, and the stakes are too high to wholly prioritize purity of method over efficacy of attack.

I'm feeling rather petulant and malicious, but not in that way.
    Because it's not hard to take the high ground, or appear to do so, while undercutting the jackboots.

For one thing, start reversing Gerrymandering, renfranchising voters and start disenfranchising rural elitists who imagine themselves to be some halcyon "Moral Majority." Get rid of the electoral college. Because seriously, fuck those people. They're ignorant peasants and they keep voting to make themselves serfs. Their vote isn't worth more than mine.

While we're at it, do stuff like limiting time spent on campaigning so the rich just can't buy every damn election and our politicians don't have to make compromises to whoever has the most money.

Actually fund good journalism because it has not survived well from the death of print. We have the free and open internet and instead of using it to make it easy to cite shit using database links, we have to resort to tacky clickbait ads to monetize everything and to share intellectually vacuous memes. Like why the fuck is it so hard to put together a compelling 60-minutes style documentary about how awful Trump's cabinet is?

And if anybody complains about these rather sensible reforms and actions, then just loudly remind them that they really must hate freedom and democracy. Because it'll be the truth. Voter suppression is nakedly ugly. Trump is already picking a fight with the press. Which is a start. So actually make a press worth a damn. We don't need to lie and spin reality to hurt the opposition. We just need to strip away the camouflage.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Because it's fun and now people make pictures like this to show how absurd it all is.

uw6WA9Z.jpg

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    http://www.avclub.com/article/trumps-new-press-secretary-five-year-running-feud--248859

Your White House press secretary, everyone.

sdas09S.jpg?1

This is legit. Legit insane.

Its not exactly insanity. This is textbook, "How Social Media will affect millennials in Politics". Nobody years ago including Splicer could of predicted that he'd be where he is at today. I won't join the hate train for this one. We all posted stupid shit on social media before. Its just that his posting stupid shit and entering the spotlight is new, and that's why these status are strange to everyone.

That doesn't matter, though. Like, everybody has at some point cut somebody off in traffic, but if it comes out that Spicer once cut somebody off in traffic we might as well yell "god what a fucking asshole! What kind of person cuts somebody off in traffic?" because

1, the ultimate goal here is to embarrass and discredit this administration
    2, if the situation were reversed the right wouldn't hesitate and Clinton's press secretary CJ Craig would be CJ "Dippin' Dots" Craig on Fox News forever and conservatives would roll coal down the street to take selfies of themselves defiantly scarfing on Dippin' Dots just to show liberals who the real Americans are because only patriots support the ice cream of the future and Democrats' heads would be exploding over the pettiness and there would be many long-winded forum posts about how Dippin' Dots contributes only to non-intersectional feminism and so they deserve to be boycotted and none of those lefty reactions would stop CNN from asking about Dippin' Dots at every WH press briefing from now until the end of time

So we might as well stop leaving weapons on the table, no matter how small or stupid, because the ultimate goal is to embarrass and discredit this administration, and if making them look foolish also makes me look foolish I'll have all the photographs of all the lives saved when the next election goes the other way to comfort me in my foolishness.

I mean, Dippin' Dots isn't going to bring down Trump, but you can't build a wall without bricks. This is a very minor example of the sort of shit the Democrats need to be prepared to embrace. We need to a little bit unfair. A teensy bit petty. We need to withhold the benefit of the doubt from our enemies, because they will not extend it to us, and the stakes are too high to wholly prioritize purity of method over efficacy of attack.

We can still take the high road and not leave weapons on the table.

For example, the filibuster. The reason we were so pissed at Republicans wasn't because they were blocking shit, that's the job of the Minority party and the filibuster in particular. We were pissed because they blocked EVERYTHING, even their own bills that they wrote. The Democrats need to block everything that would harm people, every attempt to fully repeal the ACA, every attempt to curtail voting rights, but if by some miracle a sensible piece of legislation makes it to the floor the Democrats need to vote for it. We can use their tactics without being as bad as they are.

I wasn't pissed that they didn't confirm Garland for the SCOTUS, I was pissed that they never even voted on him.

We can mock them, but it has to be about the substantial shit they're doing. Inventing stuff won't drum up support from Progressive people, and there is nothing we can do to swing support from anyone who voted Trump. We don't need to make stuff up to attack them with.

It's like the Issue Ad debate with Ron Silver in the West Wing. Sam was whining about what the standard SHOULD be, Ron Silver was talking about what the standard IS. We don't need to play by rules that don't exist, but we also shouldn't flout them entirely because that doesn't work with people who are willing to vote Democrat.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/english/2017/01/22/white-house-removes-website-and-social-media-spanish

All Spanish-language White House websites and social media accounts taken down.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/english/2017/01/22/white-house-removes-website-and-social-media-spanish

Good! Coddling people who refuse to learn the language hurts instead of helping. If I lived in Poland or Egypt I wouldn't expect them to have an English-language version of their website.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I'm sure it's por ningún motivo en especial.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Good! Coddling people who refuse to learn the language hurts instead of helping. If I lived in Poland or Egypt I wouldn't expect them to have an English-language version of their website.

https://www.premier.gov.pl/en.html:

o8pbbalqlqni.jpg

http://www.egypt.gov.eg/english/home.aspx:

6uvdhg448cyw.jpg

hippofant on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I would if over 10% of the population of Egypt spoke English and if some of the largest and most populous Egyptian provinces were annexed by military force with English-speakers living there.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

English isn't the official language of the US. We don't have one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I fail to see how having a Spanish version of a website "coddles" anyone.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

You'd be wrong.

edit: so beat'd

I'll say more substantively then that even if refusing to help people in their native language encouraged them to learn your language, learning a language takes a long time and in the meantime those people may need some goddamn help, so you help them

Has the idea of "tough love" not been thoroughly discredited yet? Forcing people to endure hardship so they can rise above it is a great way to get arrested for beating your kids.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Hispanics can learn Russian for when that site pops up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    ---Blech. Let's not Godwin up this thread.---

Let's not use Godwin's Law in a mistaken way to ignore the actual fucking Nazis in the White House.

While I agree, I'd prefer 'fascist' to 'Nazi'. At least until somebody starts praising Hitler as somebody other then a demented Chaplin impersonator.

Look up Richard Spencer.

Is Spencer part of the administration?

No, but he's the reason alt-right goons like Bannon are there. The guy invented the alt-right as a concept, then did this when Trump won.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/21/politics/alt-right-gathering-donald-trump/

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Which is, of course, why the new websites will be all pictograms because the US does not have an official language. For too long have english-speakers been coddled!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Hurts instead of helps what, exactly? And I'd ask you to back up this assertion with any kind of evidence

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

That's not coddling, it's being inclusive. Everyone should be able to red an important website like that.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I would if over 10% of the population of Egypt spoke English and if some of the largest and most populous Egyptian provinces were annexed by military force with English-speakers living there.

Languages spoken at home:

Poland: Polish (official) 98.2%, Silesian 1.4%, other 1.1%, unspecified 1.3%
    Egypt: Arabic (official), English and French widely understood by educated classes
    USA: English 79.2%, Spanish 12.9%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 3.3%, other 0.9% (2011 est.)

Source: CIA Factbook

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

No, it just prevents the efficient access to government services that citizens are entitled to by right. If you got rid of all the Polski forms in Chicago it would just mean more potholes in Jefferson Park.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2017/01/breitbart-writer-expected-to-join-white-house-staff-234016
    Julia Hahn, a staff writer at Breitbart News, is expected to join the White House – a move that further underscores Breitbart’s influence in the new administration.

According to two sources briefed on the move, Hahn’s title will be special assistant to the president and she is expected to primarily work under White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, himself a former key player at Breitbart. Prior to joining Trump’s campaign, Bannon, an outspoken populist and member of the president’s inner circle, was chairman of the conservative website.

[...]
    There is no way the multiple factions people are building under Trump don't start fighting.

why do you think spicer is getting thrown under the bus?

That's not why Spicer is getting burned.

Spicer is getting burned because no one is buying the bullshit Tantrum Trump is spewing and so he's blaming that on his messenger because the alternative is admitting he was wrong and stupid.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

marcus opinions of the past few days

a) people who don't speak english are lazy
    b) we should enthusiastically murder criminals
    c) you can't punch nazis. it's disrespectful

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

English is not the official language of the country. Spanish is recognized as an official language by Puerto Rico as well. Cursory research puts Spanish fluency at about 13% of the US population (and something around 10% as their primary language).

I think your example may have some issues as well considering how much of the country used to have Spanish as an official language (or still does, in the case of Puerto Rico).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2017/01/breitbart-writer-expected-to-join-white-house-staff-234016
    Julia Hahn, a staff writer at Breitbart News, is expected to join the White House – a move that further underscores Breitbart’s influence in the new administration.

According to two sources briefed on the move, Hahn’s title will be special assistant to the president and she is expected to primarily work under White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, himself a former key player at Breitbart. Prior to joining Trump’s campaign, Bannon, an outspoken populist and member of the president’s inner circle, was chairman of the conservative website.

[...]
    There is no way the multiple factions people are building under Trump don't start fighting.

Spicer is getting burned because no one is buying the bullshit Tantrum Trump is spewing and so he's blaming that on his messenger because the alternative is admitting he was wrong and stupid.

Spicer is getting burned my the media and public for that, sure.

I think the leaking indicates there's some behind the scenes maneuvering the White House though

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The decline begins.

I've already adjusted my retirement plan accordingly.

@Cantido curious what did you rebalance to? Bonds? I don't trust those once he starts talking about renegotiating our debt or should I?

Advise me I'll be researching all tomorrow too

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    From Robert Reich's Facebook yesterday.
    I had breakfast recently with a friend who's a former Republican member of Congress. Here's what he said:
    Him: Trump is no Republican. He’s just a big fat ego.
    Me: Then why didn’t you speak out against him during the campaign?
    Him: You kidding? I was surrounded by Trump voters. I’d have been shot.
    Me: So what now? What are your former Republican colleagues going to do?
    Him (smirking): They’ll play along for a while.
    Me: A while?
    Him: They’ll get as much as they want – tax cuts galore, deregulation, military buildup, slash all those poverty programs, and then get to work on Social Security and Medicare – and blame him. And he’s such a fool he’ll want to take credit for everything.
    Me: And then what?
    Him (laughing): They like Pence.
    Me: What do you mean?
    Him: Pence is their guy. They all think Trump is out of his mind.
    Me: So what?
    Him: So the moment Trump does something really dumb – steps over the line – violates the law in a big stupid clumsy way … and you know he will ...
    Me: They impeach him?
    Him: You bet. They pull the trigger.

I think he's giving the congressional GOP too much credit.

I think they are giving america too little credit also.
    I'm mildly concerned that if this happens in ~3 years, the honeymoon of "oh thank christ Trump's gone" will let Pence win the next election.
    How is a lawful evil cardboard figure, with no likeable positions nor charisma at all, going to win anything? Democrats nominating Nigel Farage for 2020?

Said the same thing about Trump.

Democrats fall in love.
    Republicans fall in line.
    Trump was the absolute worst pick and the Republicans still showed up. The onus is on Dems to lose and we are really good at losing.

No say what you want but trump is likeable to a lot of people

Hateful scared people

Like how you want your abusive dad to tell you good job

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I'll say more substantively then that even if refusing to help people in their native language encouraged them to learn your language, learning a language takes a long time and in the meantime those people may need some goddamn help, so you help them
    Exactly! I am all for free widely-accessible English classes.

and damn, poland was a bad choice haha

• Options

[...]

I think the leaking indicates there's some behind the scenes maneuvering the White House though

No, the media is burning Spicer because he said stupid shit. Trump is burning Spicer because the media is saying he said stupid shit.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    trump burning spicer for failing and bannon making backroom moves are not mutually exclusive options.

they're complimentary.

Label on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

[...]

No, the media is burning Spicer because he said stupid shit. Trump is burning Spicer because the media is saying he said stupid shit.

This doesnt seem productive but ok

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Trump is not a productive smart kind of guy. He is a gut lurcher.

• Options

[...]

This doesnt seem productive but ok

Again, it's not productive but it's what actually fits with everything we know about Trump. If Trump tells him "I had the best crowds, you tell the media that" and the media doesn't believe him because Trump's lie is blatantly stupid, who's he gonna blame here? Himself? This is Trump. He'll blame Spicer.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Who is this "Sean Spicer?" No one by that name has ever worked for the Trump Administration, and certainly not in the position of press secretary. This imaginary incompetent press secretary "Spicer" is just more fake news fabricated by the lying media.

-Kellyanne Conway three weeks from now

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Exactly! I am all for free widely-accessible English classes.

and damn, poland was a bad choice haha

You misunderstand me.

Imagine you're in downtown Chicago and a man runs up to you to ask you in Spanish, "Where is the hospital? I am bleeding very badly." You know Spanish and you know where the hospital is and let's just say it is your job and sacred duty to inform citizens where the hospital is, if you need that part of it. Telling this man "the hospital is three blocks over and one block up" in English is not going to help him learn the language if he bleeds to death right now.

You help people who need help with their problems by giving them the information they need in whatever way works, not in whatever way satisfies your desire to manipulate them.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Astaereth not only are you completely correct, I may have also fallen for you a little.

The high road lost us all 3 branches of government for at least 2 years, 2 for 4, and 1 of them may be out of reach for a decade.

The one thing that this administration and it's supporters hate is being mocked.

We do it already amongst ourselves. Time to do it openly.

I think the brilliance of this line of attack is that it's not even really the low road. Nobody is going to take this seriously, it's just funny. The important part, though, is to make sure this isn't the only prong in our attacks. We highlight serious stuff to make them look vile. We highlight frivolous stuff to make them look silly. If we're successful, then the Trump administration becomes a group of evil clowns in the eyes of the electorate. They look like losers, and people don't support a loser.

We just need to make sure we use proper levity. If someone challenges us on Dippin Dots, or answer shouldn't be "no man, Dippin Dots fucking matter!" It should be "take a joke, man... but also, here are five things they've done that are legit horrifying."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    "I'm glad you care so much about dippin dots when grandmas are fucking dying with treatable illnesses because your stupid as fuck boneheaded party decided to take her healthcare away."

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
This discussion has been closed.