As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2017 in Games and Technology
VKtlWJq.png
March 3rd, 2017

dIL7nNd.png
The Switch is Nintendo's 7th home console 5th handheld newest hardware. After the Wii U's struggles over the past four years, especially with advertising and PR, this is Nintendo's attempt to get people back on board and right the ship.

As the name implies, it is a hybrid console, capable of switching between standard TV play and on-the-go gaming. The console itself is actually just a thin, tablet-esque bit of hardware that's very roughly the same size as a Wii U gamepad. But don't be confused: whereas the gamepad was just a machine that streamed from the Wii U itself, the Switch is a fully independent machine. It has a capacitive touch screen, two slots on the side for controller attachments, Wi Fi, and uses a USB-C cable to charge. Due to its nature, it'll use cartridges to play games. There are three main ways to play:

0SgPsNn.png
TV Mode
This the traditional couch playing mode. The Switch comes with a dock that uses an HDMI cable to broadcast the Switch to your TV. This is where the Switch acts most like a regular home console, and there's not much else to say. You can play using the game's controller (Joycons) separated or together if you have a charging grip (Sold Separately), or you can opt for something more typical like the pro controller (Also Sold Separately).

lwj0MDJ.jpg
Handheld Mode
The mobile mode, this is just taking the Switch out of the dock and playing on it. The Joycons slide on to each half of the console, giving you a more handheld experience. Battery life will vary based on the game and what you are doing, with estimates being a broad 2-6 hours. Breath of Wild was used as a benchmark, going three hours on a single charge. Switches can also connect to up to seven additional Switches for local multiplayer purposes.

oCSjfHq.jpg
Tabletop Mode
Tabletop mode is basically handheld, but the Switch has a little kickstand that lets you prop it up. Each half of a joycon can operate as its own independent controller, so you can use this mode to play games with another person. The Joycons also have an attachment called a grip that slides in and gives you L/R button functionality (Actually Not Sold Separately). I have no idea what how many players this mode supports, but I imagine it's not all that many given how hard it'd be to squeeze that many people around it. And like Handheld mode, you can of course connect and play with other Switches.

Oh, and the Switch won't be region locked. Prepare to import.

pKdbuRi.png
The Switch will launch in Japan, North America, and Europe on March 3rd. In the US it'll retail for $299.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Console
  • TV Dock
  • Left and Right Joycons
  • Joycon Wrist Straps
  • Joycon Grip
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adapter
You have the option to buy a Switch with black Joycons or Red/Blue Joycons. CHOICES!

Need more crap? Accessories are available if you got cash to burn.
qY2lGed.jpg
MSRP: $69.99
Want a more traditional controller? That'll be seventy bucks, pal.

2lSUmW0.jpg
MSRP: $79.99
Additional Joycons can be purchased for a hefty fee. They also come in red, blue, and red/blue.

pmemXGu.jpgE7hNz9V.jpg
MSRP: $49.99
Lose just ONE Joycon? Nintendo has got you covered, although they will charge you an extra ten dollars more than what they cost bundled together. Because business.

22W0iUI.jpg
MSRP: $29.99
That pro controller sure was pricey, wasn't it? Well, for less than half the cost, you can just slap your joycons in this thing and get a similar experience. And also pretend it's a weird dog, I guess.

HUpSshu.jpg
MSRP: $14.99
Because you really want a wheel icon next to your name in Mario Kart.

Z9IINT0.jpg
MSRP: $89.99
Just hook up your existing dock to the guest room TV, you lazy bastard.

z8rzxC7.png
The Switch will probably be Nintendo's biggest step forward regarding online play since it actually added online services to its hardware. It seems like Nintendo is finally learning from its contemporaries, having all online stuff managed from your Nintendo account. Sadly, Nintendo is also learning from its contemporaries in that they're going to charge us just to play online. The service doesn't launch until Fall 2017, but people can play online for free during a "trial" period starting in March and ending whenever they get the service running. Check out the chart to see what a subscription gets you versus being a plebeian who thinks online play should be a basic free service.
j0FrKuw.png
The monthly game downloads may have caught your eye. Well don't get too excited; it's a monthly RENTAL of just one SNES or NES game a month, and then you lose it. There is rumor of online play for these games, so it may be more than just letting you rent a ROM each month.

2l2JFV7.png
What's the battery life for everything?
The Switch: 2-6 hours depending on the game. Zelda has been used as a benchmark, and gets about three hours.
Joycons: 20 hours. Note that that do not draw power from the Switch when attached to it and in portable mode.
Pro Controller: 40 hours

Is the Switch backwards compatible?
No, it uses carts and has no disc drive to play Wii U media.

Can I go online in portable mode?
Yes. Also, while it has no browser, if you are at a place with Wi-Fi, there will be an applet that lets you pay/agree to their terms so you can get online.

Can I connect to the TV using third-party USB-C cables?
No, for whatever reason the Switch must be docked to display on the TV.

Will I be able to recharge the Switch using a portable power bank used for cell phones?
Yes, but you will need to make sure it's compatible with the Switch, as it likely has a different voltage/wattage than a cell phone. It also has to be compatible with USC-C. I would definitely do my homework on this, as you can risk frying your Switch this way.

How much memory does the Switch have?
32 GB. For reference, Breath of the Wild uses around 13GB. You can use micro-SD cards to expand the memory. Because Switch carts are so small, I recommend a micro-SD with plenty of memory, because Switch games will be large and it defeats the purpose of going digital if instead of carts you're just swapping SD cards.

What's up with the Joycon desync issue?
Joycons use bluetooth, a signal that doesn't travel well through water. As you are made of water, this means your hands can block the signal of the Joycon. Normally this isn't an issue, but the Joycons are so small that it seems like people (particularly with beefy mitts) are able to fuck with the signal while playing. Apparently there's a rumor that there will be a day one firmware update to boost the Joycon signal, but that will likely come at the cost of battery life.

Where's Virtual Console?
For whatever reason Nintendo is opting to stay tight-lipped about their older games. Maybe they have something new cooking up for E3, or maybe they realize announcing that you have to pay for overpriced ROMs a fifth time would not be great PR around launch time.

HgpHq3s.png
The Switch will have games, making it a true revolution in the industry. Launch titles are games coming out March 3rd with the system. Launch window is kind of a bullshit PR term for stuff failing to make launching but coming out soon afterwards, we promise! I'll define it as within a month or so after March 3rd. Everything else either is coming out after the launch window or has no date yet. One last thing, in case you missed it: the Switch is not region locked. All dates are NA, although I'll try to add launch titles for EU and AU if they deviate greatly. If any noteworthy regional exclusives are announced, I'll make a separate section for them.

Launch Titles
1-2-Switch (Nintendo)
Super Bomberman R (Konami)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Nicalis)
I am Setsuna (Square Enix)
Just Dance 2017 (Ubisoft)
Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
World of Goo (Tomorrow Corporation)
Skylanders: Imaginators (Activision)
Snipperclips (Nintendo)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Yacht Club Games)
Fast RMX (Shin'en)

Launch Window
Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates) - March 9th
Flipping Death (Zoink) - March 9th
Snake Pass (Sum Digital) - March 28th
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - April 28th
Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA) - April 25th
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Square Enix) - April
Graceful Explosion Machine (Vertex Pop) - April
Mr. Shifty (Tiny Build) - April
ARMS (Nintendo) - Spring 2017

Late Spring or Summer
Sonic Mania (SEGA) - Spring 2017
Disgaea 5 (NIS America) - Spring 2017
Steamworld Dig 2 - Summer 2017
Dandara - Summer 2017
Dragon Quest X (Square Enix) - Summer 2017
Stardew Valley (Chucklefish) - Summer 2017
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - July 2017

Fall and Holiday
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Bethesda) - Fall 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo) - Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) - Holiday 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Nintendo) - TBA 2017
Runner 3 - TBA 2017
Kingdom: Two Crowns - TBA 2017
Gonner - TBA 2017
Celester - TBA 2017
Shakedown Hawaii - TBA 2017
WarGroove (Chucklefish) - TBA 2017

TBA or 2018
Dragon Quest XI (Square Enix) - TBA
Untitled Fire Emblem Game (Nintendo) - 2018
Project: Octopath Traveler (Square Enix) - TBA
Rayman Legends Definitive Edition (Ubisoft) - TBA
Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus) - TBA
Steep (Ubisoft) - TBA
Ultra Street Fighter II (Capcom) - TBA
Untitled Suda51 Game - TBA

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    New thread yay!

My awaited list for the year:

-Super Mario Odyssey
    -Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    -Sonic 2017
    -Sonic Mania
    -Splatoon 2
    -ARMS

Maybe some Indies as well. Fast RMX looks good.

edzepp on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I think the Wii U talk can go here, but I'd prefer it to be related to the Switch in some way.

Basically, I don't want this to become the "Nintendo" thread which is way too broad

I thought about making a Sean Spicer WiiU thread that talks about the millions of new games coming to the strong and popular WiiU console but instead I made this post.

I hope we get a video soon about the new online service, and the return of Non-Specific Action Figure.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There are quite alot of things Nintendo so far only has commented on with a standard, "we will talk about that more later". When is later? Is there more info coming soon?

That said, I've got one on preorder.

Lind on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I intend to get the Switch at some point, but I don't think I'll try to get it at launch. Still happy with my Wii U at the moment.

I think I'll probably start looking into getting a Switch somewhere around the Fall. 'Cuz that's when Fire Emblem Warriors is supposedly gonna be released.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I am Satsuma looks interesting, might have to buy it. And Octopath Traveller.

I like the isometric/similar view in games, and I really miss NWN and others. My preferred view in RPGs!

The guy who wondered why would someone get Skyrim for something other than PC: No Steam is the biggest perk hands down. Biggest reason I want it for Switch. And a game like that for a handheld... Yawsa! If it really gets even some of the mods I have on PC...

If we just could get some Paradox games for Switch... That'd be great.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    There are quite alot of things Nintendo so far only has commented on with a standard, "we will talk about that more later". When is later? Is there more info coming soon?

Just remember, nobody knew that the Wii U didn't have friend codes anymore until Nintendo announced it just 7 days before the system was in stores.

I'm not saying you should even expect to get more info before launch, though. Just that they release info at weird times, sometimes letting the thing come out and have people explore the hardware themselves.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular

Just remember, nobody knew that the Wii U didn't have friend codes anymore until Nintendo announced it just 7 days before the system was in stores.

I'm not saying you should even expect to get more info before launch, though. Just that they release info at weird times, sometimes letting the thing come out and have people explore the hardware themselves.

TBH i fully expect that when the first users power on the Switch they will find some really wierd Nintendo things. Like, you have to stand on your head and use the joycons with your feet type in your serial number to start the console. Its Nintendo after all.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

With a number of accounts that low, I'm not convinced this isn't just someone cross-referencing a different leak with confirmed usernames. A "hack" (the type to be concerned about) doesn't reveal 500 accounts, it reveals 500,000 accounts.

• Options

TBH i fully expect that when the first users power on the Switch they will find some really wierd Nintendo things. Like, you have to stand on your head and use the joycons with your feet type in your serial number to start the console. Its Nintendo after all.

I still remember setting up the Wii U for the first time where I had to choose big card suit symbols to sync it with the gamepad.

But there are usually some cool little surprises too, like who knows, maybe it launches with one or more preinstalled things like an amiibo manager program that lets you scan and catalogue everything you own or something.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

With a number of accounts that low, I'm not convinced this isn't just someone cross-referencing a different leak with confirmed usernames. A "hack" (the type to be concerned about) doesn't reveal 500 accounts, it reveals 500,000 accounts.

Seems to have been for users of the site nuggetbridge, a Pokémon battles community

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't have a smart phone because I game using my portable devices. Buying a smartphone for voice chat seems a bit far fetched. Perhaps Nintendo should make a standalone device for those without the phone for voice chat and parent controls.

*edit* It seems bad when you are required to have a smartphone app as the only version of having voice chat, especially without having an alternative available. Half of the paid online features for the paid online service depend on having the smartphone, which is an awful road to go down for a next gen console.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I don't have a smart phone because I game using my portable devices. Buying a smartphone for voice chat seems a bit far fetched. Perhaps Nintendo should make a standalone device for those without the phone for voice chat and parent controls.

If the Switch is ridiculously successful, I could imagine Nintendo making such an accessory...although, it would probably still be running off local WiFi. At this point, there are 'dumb' smartphones which lack the higher end functionality and web 2.0 browser capabilities, but have their own level of apps. But I wouldn't bet on Nintendo making another version of their app tailored to such devices.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    @PMAvers
    Something I've been thinking about is possibly doing some Wii U (and eventually Switch) streaming, now that I have it hooked up to one of my computer monitors. Anyone have any suggestions to good capture units/solutions?

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Systems-Capture-Definition-Recorder/dp/B00840353W is the one I used for my WiiU and it worked great for me.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally playing through Captain Toad as I burn off my Wii U catalogue and good lord is it charming.

It would also be a perfect fit for Switch... I found myself looking at the gamepad more than the TV for that one. The game was probably just a one-off, but you never know.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo I don't think ARMS is a release title like you have it in the OP, unfortunately

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Finally playing through Captain Toad as I burn off my Wii U catalogue and good lord is it charming.

It would also be a perfect fit for Switch... I found myself looking at the gamepad more than the TV for that one. The game was probably just a one-off, but you never know.

Oh yeah, that deserves a second go. Maybe with some more conventional camera controls. Gyro is good, but it could have used a second option so I don't accidentally move the camera setting the pad down.

edzepp on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I will probably get some video recording set up when the initial MH is announced for the switch.

The only thing that stopped be from making a youtube channel or streaming MH4U and MHGen was the fact that it was just too damn costly to get video out on the 3DS.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    This could probably go in this thread too, good visual representation:

wU46nuZ.jpg?1

• Options
    It's weird -- Switch will have me putting some serious care into what version of a multiplatform port I get for the first time in a looooong time, considering some downgrading has to happen. For instance, the next big Sonic game (not Mania) feels like it would be the most fitting on Switch, I just hope it doesn't get too hurt in translation.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Not sure if "April" for Shovel Knight will be accurate. if I remember correctly, Yacht Club's statement was that Specter of Torment will release first on the Switch, and will later, in April, release for the other platforms. It might be March.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    Cube Life trying to get out there before Minecraft again. . .

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hrrrm.

No. I shouldn't buy a second copy of I Am Setsuna. No matter how more convenient it'd be to just turn it on wherever and get a quick progression session in. I already own it on Steam.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    For European people, you can get the Switch for 319€ (plus postals) from Amazon France or Spain. Not sure how widely the deliver though.

That is a quite decent price already! 60€ cheaper than my pre-order at Gamestop...

Some people found the Switch for under 200€ from Amazon Germany, were in contact with the customer service and got a promise that the price will hold... That is pretty cheap console!

I ordered Breath of the Wild from amazon.uk, there was that -10£ discount coupon so I'll pay something like 52€ with postals... So happy! Although it won't be delivered until after launch. But I saved 10-15 euros so can't complain!

I'm just bummed that it didn't occur to me to order from any of the amazons before. Lots of fellow Finnish have ordered the console from Germany and paid like 340€ after everything.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    it need it to be switch day already

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I see No More Heroes on that chart, was anything announced beyond what Suda51 said in the presentation?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The 3DS shortage has been rough for folks, but I was able to sell both of our old style 3DS systems for enough to pay for our Switch pre-order. Yay!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I see No More Heroes on that chart, was anything announced beyond what Suda51 said in the presentation?

No, it probably shouldn't be on 2018.

EDIT: actually here is an article post-Switch presentation.
    The story outline is already determined, but the actual plot points are still in play. Game design planning is almost done. Development will begin right away, though we won’t be seeing it this year.

Next, on 4Gamer, Suda51 was asked if Nintendo will be publishing. Essentially, the team will be cooperating with Marvelous and will be supported by Nintendo.

Switch’s vibration technology was more than he could imagine and will be implemented here. Suda51 will focus on how to implement immersive, sense of unity and depth of narrative into this title.

UncleSporky on
  • Options

All we know is that something involving Travis Touchdown is coming to Switch. No date or name was given, so that should probably be TBA.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I wasn't aware there were physical copies of that game on the PS4.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    From October
    Or they could release just the dock separately as well, so you can easily dock to multiple TVs in your house. If the dock turns out to be simple, like just a charging station with TV out, then it shouldn't be too expensive.
    lol

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Oh wait! I am Setsuna is that game that uses the Chrono Trigger battle system! Ah!! I forgot about that. Crap, well there's another one I think I need to pick up.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I really like this thread title

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    From October
    Or they could release just the dock separately as well, so you can easily dock to multiple TVs in your house. If the dock turns out to be simple, like just a charging station with TV out, then it shouldn't be too expensive.
    lol

Well, you were right. It SHOULDN'T be too expensive.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    From October
    lol

Oh you've opened it up and looked at all the technology in it? Good to know that it should be cheaper then.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    From October
    lol

Oh you've opened it up and looked at all the technology in it? Good to know that it should be cheaper then.

nintendo_switch_dock_back_960.png

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14268270/what-does-the-nintendo-switch-dock-do

It is obscenely overpriced.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I don't suppose the dock is designed to accommodate a lay-flat configuration? Are there little feet on that back cover?

My entertainment cabinet's shelves don't have enough vertical clearance for me to lift the Switch out the top of the dock, and placing it on top of the cabinet would block the TV itself. I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a small little side table for my Switch to have all to itself.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I wish Bravely Default was being ported to the switch instead of I Am Setsuna. The latter isn't particularly good :?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    They would have had a sale from me on that dock at $40-$50 but not at $90.

This discussion has been closed.