As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I like the new M&P 2 in FDE. There's quite a few interesting pistols being displayed at Shot Show this year. Magnum Research has a case hardened Desert Eagle that I would buy in a heartbeat but it's just a demo sample that they don't offer yet.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Magpul's new X-22 backpacker stock for the Ruger 10/22 takedown looks awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6npd2WbJTw

iTNdmYl.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    While sitting watching the news and inauguration coverage last night my wife goes "...I should probably apply for my FOID card." I go "You're worried Trump's a Russian plant and we're all going to get Red Dawn'd aren't you!"

*llama face*

"Admit it!"

*llama face*

Then I pointed out if we did go Red Dawn nobody would really care about checking FOID cards.

Either way she's coming around!

nibXTE7.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    While sitting watching the news and inauguration coverage last night my wife goes "...I should probably apply for my FOID card." I go "You're worried Trump's a Russian plant and we're all going to get Red Dawn'd aren't you!"

*llama face*

"Admit it!"

*llama face*

Then I pointed out if we did go Red Dawn nobody would really care about checking FOID cards.

Either way she's coming around!

Hmmm...

*goes out back to check on the buried ordnance* Soon, soon...

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    First time training with a handgun (I've plinked a dozen rounds through a friend's WWII-era P38 but couldn't hit paper that day - bad sights?)

Shooting a rented Walther PPS with a flush-fit magazine (i.e. no pinky grip) at the 5 and 7 yard lines:

x94fNohl.jpg
    Went high on my very first round and hit the alligator clip, which is where that spalling came from.
    8QpnmaPl.jpg
    Starting to speed up a little and got those fliers at the bottom. Concentrate.
    JHEXdigl.jpg
    NdeBJWul.jpg
    PC28wRdl.jpg

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Turns out the PPQ is too big to conceal, but the PPS is a fine weapon. I'm going to try out that single-stack 9mm that Glock makes now, and I'll pick up my favorite of the two.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Sooo CZs, because CZs. I can't stop buying them, I may have a problem. Was going to buy a scorpion, then saw the CZ P10C announcement. Now I'm buying that when it comes out, and the P09 kadet .22 kit and the scorpion moved down the list slightly. Have a P07, and (obviously) a P09, soon a P10 (IF THEY WOULD JUST RELEASE IT AND TAKE MY MONEY) thrown in a P01 and a P06 and I'll have the whole P family. Then it's on to an 85C, a 97 and..and..and..I need deeper pockets.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    It's a pity that Cobalt Kinetics' rifles go for like 3 grand a pop. I am firmly in favor of more guns that look like they're props in sci-fi tv shows.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    Sooo CZs, because CZs. I can't stop buying them, I may have a problem. Was going to buy a scorpion, then saw the CZ P10C announcement. Now I'm buying that when it comes out, and the P09 kadet .22 kit and the scorpion moved down the list slightly. Have a P07, and (obviously) a P09, soon a P10 (IF THEY WOULD JUST RELEASE IT AND TAKE MY MONEY) thrown in a P01 and a P06 and I'll have the whole P family. Then it's on to an 85C, a 97 and..and..and..I need deeper pockets.

Buy the Scorpion!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Does anyone remember the name of that one pistol that looks like the starter pistol from Mass Effect?

I for the life of me can't remember.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name of that one pistol that looks like the starter pistol from Mass Effect?

The Chiappa Rhino?

are YOU on the beer list?
    Looking at the pistols from the first Mass Effect, the closest I can think of is an AR pistol or a Vector.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Turns out the PPQ is too big to conceal, but the PPS is a fine weapon. I'm going to try out that single-stack 9mm that Glock makes now, and I'll pick up my favorite of the two.

Let me know how this goes. Planning on getting something concealable in Florida but I am not excited at the prospect of figuring out how to hide a gun under clothing in summer there.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Hello everyone. So, I’m in the process of buying my first gun. I’ve wanted one for a long time but I’ve never actually handled one before and until very recently I was way too poor to even think about dropping a few hundred dollars on a gun so it was always sort of a far off dream. But a few months ago I started my new career that affords me more disposable income (even if it introducing a few new challenges.*) but it also introduces a stronger need for self defense, so I’ve decided to take the plunge and start getting myself ready to carry a handgun for self defense.

I’ve applied for my Permit to Purchase, and I’ve signed up for a Handgun and Carry Basics class. Once I’ve taken the class next month I’ll be able to apply for my Permit to Carry. As for the gun itself, I’me doing some research but I’m waiting until after the class at the gun shop before settling on anything. Like I said, I’ve never actually used a real gun before, just paintball and pellet guns, so I want to have at least a little safety training before jumping in and buying one. I know I’ll be carrying it in my sling bag, so it doesn’t have to be super small. And I’m probably best off going with a 9mm, but I’m not making any real decisions until I can actually get my hands on a few. Although right now I’m leaning towards a Glock 17 or 19. (I’m a big guy with big hands).

*I’m a over the road truck driver, which means I spend about 28 days a month living in my semi. Which does introduce some complications for those wanting to carry a gun, but I lucked out in that the company I work for has an official policy of “we don’t care if you carry a gun, just be aware of all the laws in the states you travel through, plus most of our customers don’t allow them on their property so it’ll have to stay in the truck.” Which is fine for me since I intend to carry my gun in my bag, which most of the time will be hanging off my passenger seat unless I find myself going though one of 5 states. In which case I’ll unload it, put it in it’s case, and stow it under the bunk in storage compartment.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hello everyone. So, I’m in the process of buying my first gun. I’ve wanted one for a long time but I’ve never actually handled one before and until very recently I was way too poor to even think about dropping a few hundred dollars on a gun so it was always sort of a far off dream. But a few months ago I started my new career that affords me more disposable income (even if it introducing a few new challenges.*) but it also introduces a stronger need for self defense, so I’ve decided to take the plunge and start getting myself ready to carry a handgun for self defense.

I’ve applied for my Permit to Purchase, and I’ve signed up for a Handgun and Carry Basics class. Once I’ve taken the class next month I’ll be able to apply for my Permit to Carry. As for the gun itself, I’me doing some research but I’m waiting until after the class at the gun shop before settling on anything. Like I said, I’ve never actually used a real gun before, just paintball and pellet guns, so I want to have at least a little safety training before jumping in and buying one. I know I’ll be carrying it in my sling bag, so it doesn’t have to be super small. And I’m probably best off going with a 9mm, but I’m not making any real decisions until I can actually get my hands on a few. Although right now I’m leaning towards a Glock 17 or 19. (I’m a big guy with big hands).

*I’m a over the road truck driver, which means I spend about 28 days a month living in my semi. Which does introduce some complications for those wanting to carry a gun, but I lucked out in that the company I work for has an official policy of “we don’t care if you carry a gun, just be aware of all the laws in the states you travel through, plus most of our customers don’t allow them on their property so it’ll have to stay in the truck.” Which is fine for me since I intend to carry my gun in my bag, which most of the time will be hanging off my passenger seat unless I find myself going though one of 5 states. In which case I’ll unload it, put it in it’s case, and stow it under the bunk in storage compartment.

This is really important. Especially if you go to any states with no license or carry reciprocity with your home state.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited January 2017
    It is impossible to legally travel through all 48 contiguous states with a loaded gun, no matter how many concealed carry permits you obtain, due to the fact that many states neither recognize out of state permits nor issue non-resident permits. Yeah, that's stupid as hell, but that's the way it is.

Some examples: NY, NJ, MD, CA, IL, RI only issue permits to their own residents (and even then just sparingly), and do not recognize permits from other states. OR only recognizes their own permit, but only residents of OR, NV, CA, WA, ID can apply for an OR permit. Additionally many states, like FL, SC, WA only recognizes permits from a limited number of states, but you must be a resident of those states, otherwise you need to apply for a non-resident permit (sometimes in person like WA, NV).

Notice how many of the biggest cities in the USA, major transit hubs, fall into one of the problematic states when it comes to concealed carry.

Finally, there's a set of states like MA, CA, IL, NY where even if you want to transport an unloaded, locked up gun, certain guns and gun parts are illegal in the state, where possession is a felony. There's a federal safe transport law when it comes to transit (of locked up, unloaded guns), but it means no stopping in the state, other than for say gas and a quick bite - staying overnight in a hotel would break the law, that's how narrowly the law has been interpreted.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It's a pity that Cobalt Kinetics' rifles go for like 3 grand a pop. I am firmly in favor of more guns that look like they're props in sci-fi tv shows.

I did a GIS of these and instantly got upset at how this one guy in particular was holding it.

amuuxm0um1qr.jpg

NO. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Kriss Vector?

HEWBBr5.jpg

nibXTE7.png

Kriss Vector?

HEWBBr5.jpg

That does, but not the one I am thinking off. It was a .22LR if I remember right and it's driving me crazy!

Steam
    GOT IT!!

fa3bacce4058962bd6b948d73dc13fb0.jpg

Walther SP22 :hydra:

Steam
    edited January 2017

I did a GIS of these and instantly got upset at how this one guy in particular was holding it.

amuuxm0um1qr.jpg

NO. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

The Cobalt Kinetics ARs are built for 3 gun so they auto drop magazine as soon as the last round is chambered. The Bolt release is also automatic upon loading a fresh magazine if the Bolt is locked back.

Also the hand placement he is using is thumb over bore and has been taught as far back as the 60s when most militaries were issuing select fire battle rifles. It's meant to allow for greater control over recoil and more precise aiming.

NSDFRand on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think @jungleroomx is talking about the bizarre grip on the barrel shroud.

I thought that might also be part of it and edited my post. I don't really use the super exagerated TOB or C clamp but there are serious shooters that use it.

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    The costa c-clamp, thanks but none for me.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I thought that might also be part of it and edited my post. I don't really use the super exagerated TOB or C clamp but there are serious shooters that use it.

I've always been most comfortable with my hand gripped on the mag receiver, close.

Get a nice solid lock in the shoulder like that.

I've always been most comfortable with my hand gripped on the mag receiver, close.

Get a nice solid lock in the shoulder like that.

I am also more comfortable with a magwell grip because even being a big guy it's the most comfortable way to shoot an M16A2 or A4 with an IBA on correctly. And since I grew up in the 90s and first five years of the 2000s I grew up shooting Ruger rifles and not ARs so my first experience shooting the AR platform was the Army.

I also like shooting AKs and the low height of the rear sight doesn't allow TOB with irons.

I relearned how to shoot due to Jerry Miculek's videos, using thumb on top or almost on top (a modified C clamp) for rifles and isosceles stance with aggressive left hand hold for pistols, in order to improve my action range times & accuracy.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, I was provided some information that was both awesome and horrifying at the same time.

Background: My paternal grandfather, who I never met - he died when my dad was still a child - was a soldier in the Canadian regiments that were deployed in WW2. My Grandmother is a war bride, sailed over from Britain after the war. Anyway, so, some relevant info that may seem weird, but it'll be clear in a moment - one of my aunts is a terrible person.

So anyway, my dad and I are pretty avid shooters and I have a reasonable collection of long rifles, but with all the restrictions concerning pistols in Canada, getting a restricted license and then a pistol has never really interested me. I've shot my dad's .22 revolver and a police .38 special, but prefer rifles. Went down to visit my dad in September and we get to chatting.

So, my dad has always been interested in protecting keepsakes of his dad, because of course. He recently found out that one of his brothers, the one who married that terrible person, was in possession of their dad's M1911 sidearm from WW2. He also found out that at one point the brother also had a German Luger that their dad had recovered, but at the insistence of his wife, had it destroyed because "she doesn't like guns".

My dad was like, "You should have just given it to me, then!" I mean, it caused a real rift because it's not the first time something like this has happened. Anyway, my dad basically demanded the 1911 at that point, and he got it.

And now he wants me to take it in the near future.

Which is badass because A) It's my granddad's and B) The 1911 is the only pistol I've ever thought was cool enough for me to want to put up with the restricted weapons rigamarole in order to own.

So now I need to get my restricted license, but it also means I'll have not only a cool sidearm, but a historical relic of the Canadian military.

edited January 2017
    Should tell your aunt that depending on condition WWII-era Lugers go for $2k up, easily hitting $8-10k if complete with all accessories and matching serials. See how she reacts to finding out she just burned at least two thousand dollars. And that's USD, even!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    I'm pretty sure she's fully aware.

The objective wasn't to remove the gun.

The objective was to further isolate my uncle from his family.

Also, I'm p sure the Luger was mint because the 1911 looks like it's new.

I'm sorry she's your aunt.

nibXTE7.png
    I mean, I posted that here because GUNS. The family bullshit is an old story.

Finding out she had my grandfather's Luger destroyed was infuriating, but really.

1911! Woo!

There's a range here in YK where I should be able to put a few rounds through it to try it out, but I doubt I'll do much actual shooting with it. It's probably going to be one of my prized possessions though. I wish I'd had a chance to meet my grandfather.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    This is really important. Especially if you go to any states with no license or carry reciprocity with your home state.
    hsu wrote: »
    It is impossible to legally travel through all 48 contiguous states with a loaded gun, no matter how many concealed carry permits you obtain, due to the fact that many states neither recognize out of state permits nor issue non-resident permits. Yeah, that's stupid as hell, but that's the way it is.

Some examples: NY, NJ, MD, CA, IL, RI only issue permits to their own residents (and even then just sparingly), and do not recognize permits from other states. OR only recognizes their own permit, but only residents of OR, NV, CA, WA, ID can apply for an OR permit. Additionally many states, like FL, SC, WA only recognizes permits from a limited number of states, but you must be a resident of those states, otherwise you need to apply for a non-resident permit (sometimes in person like WA, NV).

Notice how many of the biggest cities in the USA, major transit hubs, fall into one of the problematic states when it comes to concealed carry.

Finally, there's a set of states like MA, CA, IL, NY where even if you want to transport an unloaded, locked up gun, certain guns and gun parts are illegal in the state, where possession is a felony. There's a federal safe transport law when it comes to transit (of locked up, unloaded guns), but it means no stopping in the state, other than for say gas and a quick bite - staying overnight in a hotel would break the law, that's how narrowly the law has been interpreted.
    I appreciate the concern. I've been doing a lot of research. My state has reciprocity with 33 other states as far as CCW permits, which is the bulk of the states I'll be travelling through. Although the nature of my job means that 'carry' will involve the gun sitting in my bag in the back of my truck 95% of the time. And I don't go to CA, NY, or MA, so those aren't a problem. And looking at the Illinois laws I don't see anything restricting anything like magazine size, and they specifically say you can carry in a vehicle with a CCW if your home state allows you to. (which mine does).

Although, I heard an interesting idea that would sidestep a good chunk of the worry, that idea being getting a revolver instead of a semi-auto. You don't have to worry about any magazine restrictions and most places seem to be a lot more lenient when it comes to revolvers. Plus, from what I read a lot of revolvers can shoot multiple ammunition types. Since I won't be physically carrying it that much, and when I do it'll be in a bag, I'm finding the idea of getting a good sized .357 revolver more and more appealing. (plus the Walking Dead fan in me really enjoys the idea of a big fuck-off sized revolver) Get .38 ammo to practice with while using the .357 as my defensive load. Something to think about.

But like I said I'm super new to this stuff so I'm just throwing out ideas at the moment.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LNq1x7-5E&t=202s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Giq4uEKyOA

It's not often one can listen to a 75 minute discussion about how a product came to be and why certain choices were made during the process. I found it fascinating.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Ok someone talk me out of buying a UTAS UTS-15, keeping in mind 1) I'm not bothered by the price 2) I know the 590A1 exists but still want the UTS-15, 3) despite it being a Turkish company it's actually made by the US division in Illinois, 4) the Kel-Tec KSG feels like a pop gun in my hands and 5) the Gen4 has fixed the sticking parts and the feed problems.

nibXTE7.png
    No need to talk you out of it. I would buy one. And I get annoyed when people say you shouldn't buy a firearm because all you need is a Glock and a .22.

Ok someone talk me out of buying a UTAS UTS-15, keeping in mind 1) I'm not bothered by the price 2) I know the 590A1 exists but still want the UTS-15, 3) despite it being a Turkish company it's actually made by the US division in Illinois, 4) the Kel-Tec KSG feels like a pop gun in my hands and 5) the Gen4 has fixed the sticking parts and the feed problems.

Converted Saiga-12 instead?

That's about the only argument, the UTS is great. I was going to mention weight, but checked and it's only 7 lb unloaded.

No need to talk you out of it. I would buy one. And I get annoyed when people say you shouldn't buy a firearm because all you need is a Glock and a .22.

But all you need is a Glock and a .22!

:snap:

Steam

Heh. I already have a .22 and can't stand Glocks. This is the first year in a while I'm going to have some worthwhile disposable income, so the plan is pistol, shotgun, rifle over the next 12 months or so.

nibXTE7.png