As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where to go for BBQ

Kusanagi604Kusanagi604 Registered User regular
Hey folks,

A friend and I are flying in from Canada where we don't have any decent bbq. Love to hear some suggestions from the locals where to go near and away from the Riverwalk.

• Animal-_-Animal-_- Registered User regular
    I'm from San Antonio and I recommend Two Bros. BBQ. It's about 10 minutes north of downtown and not too far off the highway so it's not hard to find. http://www.twobrosbbqmarket.com

uBoT4dK.jpg
  • JT0418JT0418 san antonio, texasRegistered User regular
    If you have the time and don't mind waiting, try out 2m BBQ off WW white road. It's prob 12 min uber ride from downtown but it's the best brisket in town. You could also try the granary which is located at the pearl and in the downtown area if you don't want to travel too far

• sirenasirena Registered User regular
    I second the Granary, for close-to-downtown location. Go for lunch. Dinner there is more fancy shmancy.

I also like Two Bros (for everything except their brisket but that's only cuz we're spoiled here and theirs is just "good"). From Henry B, it'll be a 15-20 min ride due to inevitable 281 traffic and some road construction near the restaurant.

I've also heard Smoke Shack is good. I haven't been yet but I know a lot of people who like it. That's only 10 mins away (by the Witte Museum and the Zoo).

• JT0418JT0418 san antonio, texasRegistered User regular
    sirena wrote: »
    I second the Granary, for close-to-downtown location. Go for lunch. Dinner there is more fancy shmancy.

I also like Two Bros (for everything except their brisket but that's only cuz we're spoiled here and theirs is just "good"). From Henry B, it'll be a 15-20 min ride due to inevitable 281 traffic and some road construction near the restaurant.

I've also heard Smoke Shack is good. I haven't been yet but I know a lot of people who like it. That's only 10 mins away (by the Witte Museum and the Zoo).

Smoke shack is best bang for your buck and has more sides than 2 brothers or granary. There is also pigpen located behind it, full bar that does a all you can get brunch on saturday and sunday for under 20. Same owners and great food.

• BlargdonBlargdon Deadly Handsome Man houstonRegistered User regular
    Rudy's Country Store is a chain across Texas. I find it to be a good introduction for people who don't have a lot of BBQ experience. You buy by weight so you can easily sample lots of meats without having to commit to a plate. I find the quality to be pretty good.

It isn't quite like eating at the smaller local places but gives a good base and has a lot of options. From there I talk to BBQNoobs about leanness and smoke and cuts and sauces and we can target local joints better after that.

• Kusanagi604Kusanagi604 Registered User regular
    Thanks to everyone that suggested places. Gonna try and hit all these places up.
    Blargdon wrote: »
    From there I talk to BBQNoobs about leanness and smoke and cuts and sauces and we can target local joints better after that.

There's such a thing as lean bbq? I would imagine it would affect the flavor of the meats. Gotta have some of that fat on the meats.

• nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    Thanks to everyone that suggested places. Gonna try and hit all these places up.
    From there I talk to BBQNoobs about leanness and smoke and cuts and sauces and we can target local joints better after that.

There's such a thing as lean bbq? I would imagine it would affect the flavor of the meats. Gotta have some of that fat on the meats.

It isn't lean, per se, but you will have a fatty and lean end of the brisket. Some folks prefer the lean end (like my wife), others prefer fatty burnt ends (like me), different cuts for different folks.

• Animal-_-Animal-_- Registered User regular
    nbs2 wrote: »

It isn't lean, per se, but you will have a fatty and lean end of the brisket. Some folks prefer the lean end (like my wife), others prefer fatty burnt ends (like me), different cuts for different folks.

Burnt ends are the food of the gods.

uBoT4dK.jpg