As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocket League Tournaments - with Prizes!

taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room ManagerMinnesota?Registered User regular
Hey everybody - PC Tourney is working with PAX Arena this year on the qualifying rounds for the prime-time Rocket League tournament. This collaboration is new and didn't make the schedule (we're working on it, but we definitely missed the print deadline for the programs) so if you're interested please check in @ PC Tourney each day on Friday and Saturday for your chance to take part and win!

Tournament: Rocket League
Ruleset: Standard
Start Time: 11am - 1pm Friday & Saturday (subject to change)
Format: 2 v 2

Go ahead and ask questions in this thread.

yBfDKg5.png

• besweeetbesweeet San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm totally interested in this. All I play is 2v2 ranked (and some hoops!). I assume you have to check in prior to 11AM?

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    Yes indeed - Frankly if you don't win on Friday you can come back and try again on Saturday. 2 chances to win!

yBfDKg5.png
    bump.

yBfDKg5.png
    taumeson wrote: »
    Yes indeed - Frankly if you don't win on Friday you can come back and try again on Saturday. 2 chances to win!

I assume that PCs will be provided? Are controllers allowed?

• Fickle_PlatypusFickle_Platypus Registered User regular
    Hi,

My name is Fickle_Platypus and Im speaking on behalf of the competitive rocket league scene. We have A LOT of amazing Rocket League players panning on attending PAX. We have been told that PAX does not want these players participating in these events, or else we would scare off potential new comers. IF thats the case, I would like to propose a show match in the PC area for all the "new comers" to see some high flying action from the top players.
    We really want to enter the tournaments, but we would respect your decision otherwise. Let me know please!

Cheers,

Grant "Fickle_Platypus" Haynes

• Questi0nM4rkQuesti0nM4rk Registered User new member
    If anyone else is looking for a teammate, my steam name is 0311, red and yellow marine corps picture.

• DigitalCarnageDigitalCarnage CEO Orion Hosting LLC VARegistered User regular
    @Questi0nM4rk Sent you an invite. I am so-so i would love to play and get some practice.

dK28F6R.png
    If anyone else is looking for a teammate, my steam name is 0311, red and yellow marine corps picture.

I also sent an invite. I recently made it up to rising star (div. II) in 2v2 doubles ranked. All I want to do is win :D.

• vit.alitasvit.alitas deppressed, stressed, and obsessed (with nero) st. petersburg, russiaRegistered User new member
    If anyone's looking for a teammate, I'm vitalitas on steam.

signature image was too large, both dimension wise and file size
    To those looking for a teammate, what are your ranks and some other basic stats?

• JoeSauceJoeSauce KansasRegistered User regular
    @taumeson any update on additional info?

3HeJgC7.png
    besweeet wrote: »

I assume that PCs will be provided? Are controllers allowed?

Yes to PCs! No to controllers!
    Hi,

My name is Fickle_Platypus and Im speaking on behalf of the competitive rocket league scene. We have A LOT of amazing Rocket League players panning on attending PAX. We have been told that PAX does not want these players participating in these events, or else we would scare off potential new comers. IF thats the case, I would like to propose a show match in the PC area for all the "new comers" to see some high flying action from the top players.
    We really want to enter the tournaments, but we would respect your decision otherwise. Let me know please!

Cheers,

Grant "Fickle_Platypus" Haynes

This one is for you, though! The main Rocket League tournament in PC is for casual, but these PAX Arena qualifiers are for you to bring your A-game.
    JoeSauce wrote: »
    @taumeson any update on additional info?

Just this one so far. Got any specific questions?

yBfDKg5.png
    edited January 2017

For real? I might be out, then. Once I went controller, I couldn't turn back. Like keyboards and mice are the way to go for first-person shooters, I don't think that's the case for Rocket League.

besweeet on
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular

For real? I might be out, then. Once I went controller, I couldn't turn back.

Yea as much as I prefer m+k most of the time driving type games are not one of them.

• CjLinkCjLink Registered User new member
    "Yes to PCs! No to controllers!"

"This one is for you, though! The main Rocket League tournament in PC is for casual, but these PAX Arena qualifiers are for you to bring your A-game."

Forgive the formatting but I'm not familiar with bbcode.

No controllers will be a pretty huge limiting factor in Rocket League. There's only a very small percentage on the higher level players that use kb/m.

@taumeson Rocket League is a game that is most optimally played on a controller. People WILL bring their own controllers. If you dont allow them, people are going to be upset.

• MunchiesMunchies Registered User new member
    Speaking for another Rocket League community that has players coming from several states with the original intention to play in the Rocket League tournament together:

Two are able to use mouse and keyboard. The rest of us will be bringing our controllers expecting this tournament to be held under the fair premise that both mouse/keyboard and controllers are used in this game with Psyonix specifically telling new players to the game that Rocket League is more enjoyable with a controller, and lastly, that most people use controllers for this game.

Hope this rule doesn't stick.

Hey all - it's not a matter of a rule, per se, but rather that we don't HAVE controllers in PC. I can tell that this is creating some consternation, so let me see what I can do.

yBfDKg5.png
    I feel like such a console person now :P.

@taumeson You shouldn't need to provide controllers. All you would need to do is provide access 1 open USB port. Rocket League natively supports both PS4 and Xbox/Microsoft controllers.

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Yea just make it BYOC bring your own controller.

• Ein385Ein385 Registered User new member
    Anyone looking for a teammate still add me on steam. My tag is LGRL Ein, if that doesn't work then its Ein385. Im Challenger elite in 1v1, and rising star in 2v2 and 3v3s. I just started playing duels since the pax 1v1 was announced. I have added the few on here looking if you are still looking.

On the topic of teammates, do we need to provide them or can the tournament pair is up with random ones?

I feel like such a console person now :P.
    4rdocqaskart-878x0-z-z96kyq.jpg
    @taumeson You shouldn't need to provide controllers. All you would need to do is provide access 1 open USB port. Rocket League natively supports both PS4 and Xbox/Microsoft controllers.

Let's think about this a bit more. I want a relatively level playing field, so maybe if all 4 competitors have their own controllers or whatnot. Thoughts on that?
    On the topic of teammates, do we need to provide them or can the tournament pair is up with random ones?

We can mark you down as needing a partner, but that means that there isn't a guarantee on quality or that they can make all of the events, etc. We definitely prefer if you are able to come to us as a team, and we won't get you onto the bracket until you have a teammate.

yBfDKg5.png
    Let's think about this a bit more. I want a relatively level playing field, so maybe if all 4 competitors have their own controllers or whatnot. Thoughts on that?

I personally think it should be use whatever you bring / want. When playing the game, we don't explicitly know who uses what, so I think this would be more level / fair.
    We can mark you down as needing a partner, but that means that there isn't a guarantee on quality or that they can make all of the events, etc. We definitely prefer if you are able to come to us as a team, and we won't get you onto the bracket until you have a teammate.

I'm fine if the quality isn't that great (I'm used to it when playing random 2v2 ranked matches). Doing it all for fun anyway (though winning something would be preferred). Hopefully the pairing ends up working out.

• vit.alitasvit.alitas deppressed, stressed, and obsessed (with nero) st. petersburg, russiaRegistered User new member
    Personally I prefer keyboard simply because I can't hold a controller in my Nero cosplay, but I can sure as heck tap keys on a keyboard. I also have a vein where R1 + R2 on the controller rests, so by the time I'm done playing I can't move my fingers. Take medical concerns into consideration, please.

signature image was too large, both dimension wise and file size
    @taumeson It comes down to preference. Some people DO actually prefer Keyboard and Mouse, but the majority will want to use controllers. For instance, if 3/4 players bring controllers, and 1 player wants to use a keyboard, that should be perfectly fine! People who are serious about competing WILL bring their own controllers, dont worry about trying to provide them. I work with Dreamhack, and their BYOC/PC areas, and I will be there Friday morning if you would like some help :biggrin:

Thanks for being responsive,

Grant

• Ein385Ein385 Registered User new member
    If you are wanting players to bring their A game or a level playing field then I think allowing people to bring and use whatever is comfortable for them is the best option. Rocket League I would say at the very least is probably a 70/30 split, although I believe it's more on the 90/10 side, with controllers being the most popular. Anyone who uses a controller for RL or is a console player that just wants to join in on the fun will be at a massive disadvantage. I think most people who go to any convention and wants to play in any tournament will bring their own controller as most do not trust ones given out and that may be broken and would rather have that reliability of knowing theirs works 100%.

vit.alitas wrote: »
    Personally I prefer keyboard simply because I can't hold a controller in my Nero cosplay, but I can sure as heck tap keys on a keyboard. I also have a vein where R1 + R2 on the controller rests, so by the time I'm done playing I can't move my fingers. Take medical concerns into consideration, please.

My bad - you make a natural and compelling point.

OK here's where we've landed.

1. We'll have controllers if you want them! If you want keyboard/mouse or use your own, that is OK too FOR THIS TOURNAMENT ONLY. If you end up playing in a different PC tournament you'll be using keyboard and mouse.

2. PAX Arena isn't taking part anymore! No idea what the situation is there, but we still have prizes and whatnot. It will affect our schedule a little bit because we won't be able to have two completely separate tournaments. Here's what we've come up with:

Friday - Group stage for seeding
    No knockouts
    Multiple rounds, switching competitors each round

If you're able to make it to the PC Area on Friday (not everybody can) you can qualify for a bye on Saturday. We'll take the top X teams (based on signups) and they'll be able to skip the first round on Saturday.

Saturday - Knockout stage
    Standard bracket
    Standard 2v2

3. Here's what you'll be playing on:
    ggzdlcuh4c86.jpg

yBfDKg5.png
    Ugh Lenovo... But hey! Fancy screens.

I shall see you all on Saturday. Any exact locations yet?

@taumeson Thanks for listening to us! Im still offering my voluntary service if you guys need consulting for Rocket League tournaments. I've ran many, and will know A LOT of the people participating.

@Fickle_Platypus word. come find me early in the morning.
    Any exact locations yet?

Yup! Check out guidebook - we're at the bottom right of the map @ https://guidebook.com/guide/86449/map/85613/. If you come in the main entrance we're in the back left.

yBfDKg5.png
  • MurfMurf Registered User regular
    Can we have a "Horribly sucky at the game' division? I might fair ok in that.

Just realized: the original post doesn't mention if this will be 2v2 hoops or 2v2 soccar :).

Murf wrote: »
    Can we have a "Horribly sucky at the game' division? I might fair ok in that.

We have that! Saturday evening @ 7PM.

yBfDKg5.png
  • CjLinkCjLink Registered User new member
    Looks like they've removed the PC tournament and replaced it with a rumble/casual tournament. http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-s

Is there still a competitive tournament or has it been cancelled completely?

• Noobie McNoobsterNoobie McNoobster Registered User new member
    LFT. Will be there Saturday only. I'm kinda sad if the 2v2s was replaced with Rumble.

I'll look through the comments and reach out to ppl. I'm decent, I have ground work, aerials, and walls covered fairly well, but it really depends on the RL gods if I play well that day or not.

Noobie McNoobster is my steam name with a Koala profile pic.

Now questions:

CAN WE BRING CONTROLLERS?? WHEN AND WHERE SHOULD WE SIGN UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT????

Last year I tried and the waitlist was triple what the capacity for the tournament might be.

ajndz8pbrmhe.png

• Noobie McNoobsterNoobie McNoobster Registered User new member

Still looking there, fella?

ajndz8pbrmhe.png

Are the graphs supposed to be blank?
    CopnTdD.png

CjLink wrote: »
    Looks like they've removed the PC tournament and replaced it with a rumble/casual tournament. http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-s

Is there still a competitive tournament or has it been cancelled completely?

Might be a late response, but -- there are multiple tournaments. The morning "experienced players" tournament just didn't make it into the program. The evening is a rumble/casual tournament.
    I'm kinda sad if the 2v2s was replaced with Rumble.

It wasn't replaced! We have multiple tournaments.
    CAN WE BRING CONTROLLERS?? WHEN AND WHERE SHOULD WE SIGN UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT????

Yes you can bring controllers! Come to PC Tourney in the morning ASAP to sign up.

yBfDKg5.png