As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Help

WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
Does anyone have any idea what would be causing these artifacts on my computer display, after a power surge.

Ihttp://i.imgur.com/iiNKsoY.jpg

• Options
    tennosistennosis Dr GermanyRegistered User regular
    Looks like your Monitor or your grapic Card has a Problem. Try to calibrate your Monitor and Update your grapic Card drivers. Also try to Test it with another Monitor.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That looks like a dying graphics card.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Yeah, this.

If you have an integrated, onboard graphics solution in addition to your "real" graphics card (most motherboards will have this in some way), try plugging the monitor into that and seeing if the artifacts go away.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah, this.

If you have an integrated, onboard graphics solution in addition to your "real" graphics card (most motherboards will have this in some way), try plugging the monitor into that and seeing if the artifacts go away.
    +1

Also check if your computer and monitor has multiple video connections - it might be that those are fine.

PS. Depending on the specific needs and system it may be that a replacement graphics card can be found for $30-40 or even less than that.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Just gunna throw this out there, but if you have a spare cable, try that before condemning anything more expensive!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    I thought it was probably the video card, I guess that is a relatively simple double check with the onboard video card switch.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Easiest way to rule out monitor is to take a screenshot. If the artifacts are still in the screenshot, it's not the monitor.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Another vote for a failing Video card. Sorry dude :(

Edit: always check you cables.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Okay, so the DVI connection doesn't have the problem. I'm going to test the HDMI cable after I get off work this afternoon.

Winklebottom on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Easiest way to rule out monitor is to take a screenshot. If the artifacts are still in the screenshot, it's not the monitor.

This is really smart, and I would not have thought to try this...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Just as an update in case you were wondering, the video card was in fact dying, but not dead dead.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    64cbc2a9459e303bb63154f38babab6c.jpg

• Options
    Let me put it this way, I pulled a video card out of the computer I built 4 or so years prior to this one, and it runs like 30x better now:)