As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NVidia GTX 970 won't connect to TV via HDMI

So I've got a GTX 970, it's pretty alright.

It absolutely refuses to recognize my TV.

My laptop has no problem with it using the same cable. I've downloaded the newest drivers, and I have all the updates I can find on a reinstall of Windows 7 that's like a month old. Any idea what the hell might be happening here?

I spent some time trying to get it to function when I bought it, and ultimately gave up. As I start wanting to play more stuff on the couch with friends, it's become more of an issue.

Computer bits details:
ASRock Z170 Pro4S LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
CORSAIR CX Series CX600 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56600 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Possibly a resolution issue. What res are you running on your computer? Also, what TV do you have, and do you know its max resolution (when connected to a computer)?

If you reduce the resolution on your laptop to something really small (like 800 x 600) and then hook it up to your TV, does it work then?

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    1980 x 1080, I believe. TV is 720p I believe, though I'm not home so I don't recall the exact make and model beyond Samsung something or other. I'll test the laptop resolution thing when I get home.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    So, no issue displaying from the laptop on any resolution.

The TV is actually a Sony BRAVIA KDL‑S5100, turns out! Woops.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This will sound obvious (and maybe not very useful), but with the TV plugged in, what does Nvidia's Control Panel report back under 'Multiple Displays'?

• Options
    Ahahaha

Guess what bedeviled me for a year?

I've got one VGA and one HDMI monitor.

I put them both on the card, and then tried to plug the fucking TV into the motherboard, which I don't have configured for multiple displays.

Let this be a lesson to me to actually try every hardware configuration. Jesus.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    well, yea, when you have a video card plugged in the onboard video is disabled entirely, so those ports become useless. Oops.

Your only solution here is to unplug one of the two monitors and plug the TV into the Video card when you want to use it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Yeah to be clear it works fine now, I just need to swap out HDMI for DVI on my one big monitor. What a silly thing to have missed.

Oh well though, it's a lesson in staying calm and checking everything before getting frustrated by a problem!

I had a bunch of fun playing Overcooked on the TV last night, so it works great when it's actually plugged into the damned card.