As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Tale of Two Processors

CrazyMexCrazyMex Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've finally decided to upgrade my computer and go with an intel chipset this time around as AMD seems to enjoy changing their standard socket every year or so. After checking through different websites like Tom's Hardware and so on I still can't decide what to go with. Which processor provides the most performance per price? I'm looking to spend around $150 at most (which limits me to a dual core, right?) for the cpu.

Which dual core is the right one for me - the Dual-Core or the Core 2 Dual? And why is the E4500 Allendale cheaper than the E4400 - link

Any advice would be appreciated.

CrazyMex on

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you can spend the extra few bucks, the E6550 is a Conroe with a 4MB L2 cache that can be overclocked to 3 gigs without additional cooling if you have a decent case and airflow. The 1333MHz FSB will be the standard for a while so you can make a really cheap upgrade down the road.

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, it's hard to go wrong with the E6550 right now.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Core 2 Duo > Pentium Dual core.

Think of the Pentium Dual core as the Dual Core celeron. It's good for general tasks, and it's dual core on teh cheap, but it is by no means a powerful processor.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    CrazyMex wrote: »
    Which dual core is the right one for me - the Dual-Core or the Core 2 Dual? And why is the E4500 Allendale cheaper than the E4400 - link

You want "core 2 duo" because it can run a 64 bit OS, the "core duo" is a 32 bit processor and cannot run a 64 bit OS. Intel "Dual-core" label seems to be a branding initiative by Intel to designate 32 bit dual core processors, but not all computer parts retailers follow this naming convention. See link

So for the sake of future-proofing, get a core 2 duo, or an AMD processor capable of running a 64 bit OS.

And I don't get why the E4500 is cheaper than the E4400, as the E4500 is clocked higher and also has virtualization support. Maybe some strange supply artifact?

If you can wait, do so, and pick up a core 2 quad when prices come down. I'd think that ought to be a significant performance boost for multi-tasking over the core 2 duo.

Djeet on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Djeet wrote: »
    And I don't get why the E4500 is cheaper than the E4400, as the E4500 is clocked higher and also has virtualization support. Maybe some strange supply artifact?
    Intel cut prices on the E4400 when they released the E4500, but I think a lot of places haven't updated their price for the E4400 accordingly. They probably don't want to be left holding the bag by selling E4400s they bought a while ago at a loss, but I don't see how carrying the extra stock really helps them. Might be a bookkeeping thing. I think most places are just ordering E4500s now and ceasing to stock E4400s beyond what they happened to have initially, since the two are jammed right next to each other in the price/performance spectrum. With the E4500 having better performance for a relatively small price increase, there's not much reason to carry both.
    Djeet wrote: »
    If you can wait, do so, and pick up a core 2 quad when prices come down. I'd think that ought to be a significant performance boost for multi-tasking over the core 2 duo.
    Idunno, it kinda depends on how much multitasking the OP does, and/or how many apps the OP runs that can take advantage of more than two cores. If you're someone who juggles between Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, or an equivalent collection of apps, then a quad core may make sense. For most people on this forum though (i.e. gamers), I don't think quad core will gain them much. Games are built for what the majority of the market is projected to have at the time of release. For current and near-horizon titles, that's almost exclusively single- and dual-core CPUs. I think a lot of PC game developers are planning to take advantage of dual core, but I doubt many are going to parallelize their code enough to take full advantage of quad cores. Splitting your app into extra threads so cores 3 and 4 aren't sitting idle means you can introduce a whole range of fun bugs, all for a change that will only benefit maybe 1 in 20 gamers, if that. Going from two threads to four is probably not as big a change as going from one to two, but it's still significant extra overhead with a very small net payoff.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer