As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Games and Technology
PA VR User list here:

Signup form
List

Rift offer here: http://www.gamesradar.com/buy-the-oculus-rift-headset-at-the-lowest-price-yet-for-only-48-hours/

Virtual Reality!

It's a well established thing now. The era of home VR is upon us. Starting off with a plucky Luckey's kickstarter back in 2012, Virtual Reality has slowly made its way in to the main stream. Following a series of development kits, each increasing in quality and features, the Oculus Rift eventually launched in 2016, followed swiftly by the Vive. Lots of people argued; some citing the Vive's motion controllers and lighthouse solution to tracking as superior, others preferred the screen of the Rift and the initial focus on seated gaming, no pack in motion controllers and some exclusive content.

They're both awesome though and Oculus soon released their own expensive motion controllers which may or may not be better than the Vive's. It's sort of like discussing that this awesome chocolate cake is better than that awesome chocolate cake because it has different sprinkles though. So none of that "console war" style nonsense here please, we ain't playing favourites.

Then late 2016 Sony released the best headset, with the coolest blue glowing lights:

PSVR (PS4)
PSVR.jpg
(This is me, getting ready to punch anyone who starts console war nonsense, or doesn't agree the PSVR is the best)

So this is the PSVR, it's got an awesome head band that's really easy to slip on and off, which is fantastic for when you're scared shitless in Resident Evil VII. It also works with the Playstation Move controllers, which instantly makes it better than all the other VR motion controllers because everyone of course has these to hand and there's no chance there'd be a shortage allowing for people to sell them ridiculously overpriced on Ebay. Oh and you need the Playstation Camera too. And a PS4. Actually, best make that a PS4 Pro. And a house to put it all in.

There were some doubts about the PS4 being able to pump out decent VR visuals given the relatively high spec required for PC VR games. I jest above about the need for a PS4 Pro but honestly, my base PS4 worked great and it's definitely a good experience. Sony have done a good job.

The screen is made of magic pixie dust so it means you don't see the "screen door effect" like you do on the Vive and Rift (visible space between pixels). Ok, instead you get a moire effect on dark backgrounds, but that's just a bit like film grain, which everyone likes, right?

The library of games is pretty impressive for what's almost a new platform launch. There's enough there to keep most people interested, though as with a lot of VR games they tend to be more tech demos and experiences. That said, as a huge light gun fan, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is my game of the year.

Suggested games:

Batman: VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwdZvJfxqtE

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3svUfC8Ds

Job Simulator (Also PC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-iMlQIGH8Y

Thumper (Also PC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtPGX8i1Eaw

Resident Evil VII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWnLKZuBz3s

Upcoming games:

Dirt (VR) (Also PC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAt4wtHVX0

Farscape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18R6Sb97nM

Arizona Sunshine (Port confirmed by devs)

Oculus Rift (PC)
newblog1.2.jpg
(There are some sort of fancy motion controllers, but they weren't within the first 4 google image search results)

So this is the headset that started it all, if you forget about all previous VR en-devours. Initially it required a pretty beefy machine to hit the minimum spec, but thanks to fancy technology involving time warps and flux capacitors that minimum spec has been lowered and more people can get involved.

Undoubtedly a high quality headset, with built in headphones. It uses cameras to track what you do, when you eat and what colour your eyes are. And the headset/controllers. You can buy more cameras to help cover more of your room. Initially packed in with an Xbox One controller it also now supports additional motion controllers, which don't look awesome and which I'm not totally, 100% jealous of.

Suggested games:

Raw Data
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYjYEgo_rkI

SUPERHOT VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzG7Wc6mbwE

Elite Dangerous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISR4ebdGlOk

Arizona Sunshine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gWDl_f6V8

Vive (PC)
jbareham_160401_1007_0033_02__1_.0.png
(Green screen sold separately)

Just as everyone was getting super excited for the Rift, Valve piped up saying they were partnering up with HTC and releasing a headset themselves. It's designed more around the concept of 'room scale' and by all accounts you need a spare wing of your mansion to use it. Or a small square in your living room, depends who you listen to. Anyway, it came with some cool motion controllers. It tracks using lighthouses, which means people can't see you in your pants, but conversely if you don't live near the sea you probably don't have one close by, so you're out of luck.

Suggested games:

See Oculus list above.

Half Life 3?

Anyway, discuss VR here. But let's not argue about which headset is best, because we all know it's the PSVR. Ok?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, I had a picture for the Rift & Touch right at the top of the previous OP and everything

Here's the image link, I won't inline it - http://i.imgur.com/OBZ6xbW.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I mean, I had a picture for the Rift & Touch right at the top of the previous OP and everything

Here's the image link, I won't inline it - http://i.imgur.com/OBZ6xbW.jpg

To be fair I'm at work and all imgur links are blocked, so they could have been pictures of ANYTHING.

And in case it's not clear, I'm actually completely jealous of PC VR. I think everyone is aware that the PSVR isn't as refined or as 'premium' a quality experience. I wish I had the cash to splash on an up to date PC and one of the headsets.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Suggested games need Raw Data and SuperHOT in their lists for each PC headset.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Also, Elite: Dangerous, Arizona Sunshine

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    On topic from the last thread, I think someone could make a pretty penny selling "dust covers" for rift tracking cameras, that just happen to cover the lens as well.

Also a topic from the last thread: has anybody here actually tried Resident Evil 7 in PSVR? How are first-person cutscenes handled, like when you die and fall to the floor? Do they just wrench head/camera control away to animate the sequence? Is it horribly nauseating? How are VHS sequences done? Does the title card take up your full vision? I have so many questions!

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I think this is fine for now, Mr_Grinch =) Totally unbiased OP, would read again.

For the title, might I suggest;

We Are [VR] Headsets - Three? (Woah!) [Virtual Reality]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BSLT92P4vg

Rius on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    There's some gameplay here. Looks like for the VHS sequences it's like there's a TV floating in front of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nlACJvH3Xo

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    From the prior thread....
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    edit: And i'd probably just store my vive facedown. The camera is on the headset itself, yeah? No reason to cover it with tape when putting it face down is fairly easy.
    Just as a point of interest for future reference, don't do that. If you store the headset face-down, not only will the optics get dusty, but if any stray sunlight hits the thing, the screens will burn out in a matter of seconds. Store it in a box. (Most PSVR owners use the inner, white, clamshell box for storage.)

26904.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    With the current thread title "virtual reality" I felt obligated to post that music video where that guy keeps saying virtual reality

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Et9b7LWfnxQ

Hmm. Apparently he says something else. Oh well

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Honestly, my Vive camera still goes from laying on my bed facing the wall (sunlight away from the lenses) while I'm at my desk, and on my desk facing my monitor blocking the annoying blue flashing light when I go to bed. The breakout box means I often just have the thing unplugged when not in use, because the cables are out in the open and easy to plug and unplug.

Can we change thread title to "Obscure reference from 3 years ago by universally loathed psuedo-founder (lawsuit pending) of modern VR"?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Three quick points:

1. Major Kudos on the new OP! As a PSVR fan, I, too, think it is the "best" system - except for the lousy limited tracking, lack of thumbsticks or joypads on the motion controls, and the single-source optical sensing. I mean aside from that stuff. I would never be jealous of the totally superior Touch controllers or the obviously better tracking on the PC systems. I mean, why would I?

B) Wow, Jamiroquai... Rock of the 90's! (Somehow I thought this came out in the late 1980s.)

III> I have RE7 near the top of my Gamefly rental list, but I'm not hopeful that I'll get it any time soon. I'm not a huge horror fan; I just don't find most of that stuff scary. Jump-scares make me jump just like everyone else, but jump-scares are IMO stupid and not "scary". I played the entire Rush of Blood game in one sitting without any issues (other than my butt getting sore from sitting for two hours). Oh, and I did instinctively try to claw the headset off at one point when a virtual spider jumped on to my virtual face. But other than that, no issues.

four: BONUS ITEM!! Apparently the second wave of PSVR headsets were released in Japan today/yesterday. Long lines at retailers and sold out stock again/still! I, for one, found it amusing that the demand for this thing is larger than the demand for the new Nintendo.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    edit: And i'd probably just store my vive facedown. The camera is on the headset itself, yeah? No reason to cover it with tape when putting it face down is fairly easy.
    Just as a point of interest for future reference, don't do that. If you store the headset face-down, not only will the optics get dusty, but if any stray sunlight hits the thing, the screens will burn out in a matter of seconds. Store it in a box. (Most PSVR owners use the inner, white, clamshell box for storage.)

This is good to know, thanks!

Clearly I need some sort of techo-vr bath to set it in

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Wait what the fuck? Sunlight ruins the screens?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The design of the lenses works to focus light on them into a tiny point on the screens inside, so if that light is direct sunlight it's like a magnifying glass on sensitive LCDs.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Oh damn, never thought of that. It's not really a concern for the room I use, but it's just good general knowledge.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Oh damn, never thought of that. It's not really a concern for the room I use, but it's just good general knowledge.

I mean I knew it because of these threads, but they should plaster that stuff everywhere on the packaging!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
      The OP should maybe add the PA VR user list from the old thread:

Signup form
      List

• Options
      GSMGSM Registered User regular
      BouwsT wrote: »

Wait what the fuck? Sunlight ruins the screens?
      Light coming from the screens to your eyes go through a lens. In that direction, the light is spread out so it covers your field of view. But, it turns out, sending light from outside into the unit through those same lenses will converge the light. It's like using a magnifying glass to fry ants. But instead of ants, it's the screen in your $600 virtual reality headset.

We'll get back there someday.
    • Options
      Orogogus wrote: »

Signup form
      List

Thanks! I tried to get that into the old thread several times to no avail!

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

Signup form
        List

No, no, Dhalphir added it at some point, I nicked it from the old OP (well, the second post).

• Options

Signup form
        List

No, no, Dhalphir added it at some point, I nicked it from the old OP (well, the second post).

I just figured he was ignoring me each time haha

• Options

Signup form
          List

The op needs to, AND the op needs to sign up himself.

• Options
          Rius wrote: »
          I think this is fine for now, Mr_Grinch =) Totally unbiased OP, would read again.

For the title, might I suggest;

We Are [VR] Headsets - Three? (Woah!) [Virtual Reality]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BSLT92P4vg

All titles must be signed off by @PikaPuff from this point forward. That is the new way of things.

• Options
          Finally got my Vive 3-in-1 replacement cable. Fantastic! It's way less noticeable. Didn't think it'd be that big of an improvement.

• Options
            Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
            Oops, I entered myself in the list of VR users with the entry form, but I made a typo in my PSN name (it should be Carolus-Billius)...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
          • Options
            Anyone in the UK looking for a Rift, as per title, there's now £50 off. See here:

http://www.gamesradar.com/buy-the-oculus-rift-headset-at-the-lowest-price-yet-for-only-48-hours/

• Options
            Oops, I entered myself in the list of VR users with the entry form, but I made a typo in my PSN name (it should be Carolus-Billius)...

I think I fixed it

• Options
              DracilDracil Registered User regular
              Oh, do you own the list? You should delete the deleteme entry. That was from me trying to get to the results of the form and yet not being able to find anything but the entry form.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
              Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
              MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
            • Options
              Dracil wrote: »
              Oh, do you own the list? You should delete the deleteme entry. That was from me trying to get to the results of the form and yet not being able to find anything but the entry form.

I got you, boo

• Options
                Just finished Arkham VR (well, still got lots to find, but the main story). What a phenomenal experience, it's rare I spend a long time playing a video game but I finished it (standing) in one session. Just brilliant.

• Options
                Does SteamVR use ASR in its regular client now? I switched to the beta when the beta was the only version doing it.

• Options
                  Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
                  Mr_Grinch wrote: »
                  Just finished Arkham VR (well, still got lots to find, but the main story). What a phenomenal experience, it's rare I spend a long time playing a video game but I finished it (standing) in one session. Just brilliant.
                  Yup, it's one of those things, when you've finished it, looking in every nook and cranny, that you noticed "I've been standing for more than an hour, that's why I'm suddenly tired" :lol:

And the New Game+ gives you a reason to go through everything all over again :biggrin:

Basically this is the game with which I really impress people when they first encounter VR; I usually let them experience the following:
                  - first Invasion, as it is short and sweet
                  - optionally, Allumette
                  - then the Deep See Dive from PSVR Worlds (the demo disc version is good enough)
                  - optionally, Kitchen
                  - and then Arkham VR, starting from the Manor, and letting them go down in the Batcave, directing them to the Batcomputer, the Garage and the weapons database.

And afterwards, when I meet them again, they're always talking about "that Batman experience" :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
                • Options
                  FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
                  Does SteamVR use ASR in its regular client now? I switched to the beta when the beta was the only version doing it.

It does!

steam_sig.png
                • Options
                  Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
                  oh so I forgot to mention in this thread, been mostly posting in its own thread: If you have PSVR, and you've been waiting for a killer-app for it, Resident Evil 7 is it. It works really well.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
                • Options
                  GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
                  Here's what I do in VR. Lap at Bathurst (Mount Panorama) in the 911 GT3 Cup in iRacing. Not my best lap, but it was decent and a nice test of my VR recording settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsT89WFBo0

Sagroth wrote: »
                  Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
                  Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
                • Options
                  LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
                  GnomeTank wrote: »
                  Here's what I do in VR. Lap at Bathurst (Mount Panorama) in the 911 GT3 Cup in iRacing. Not my best lap, but it was decent and a nice test of my VR recording settings.

Are you using a wheel? If so, which one?

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
                  Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
                • Options
                  GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
                  edited January 2017
                  LutExIV wrote: »
                  GnomeTank wrote: »

Are you using a wheel? If so, which one?

Yes. I use the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Italia wheel and Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals. The TX set was a really nice starter set to get going with, didn't break the bank. I upgraded to the Fanatec pedals to get a load cell brake system at a reasonable price. I'd like to upgrade the wheel, but for now the TX is working fine.

GnomeTank on
                  Sagroth wrote: »
                  Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
                  Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
                • Options
                  Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
                  edited January 2017
                  Hey, just to double check - the Rift sensors work fine horizontally, right?

EDIT: This image:
                  C29sHf4UQAAPexd.jpg

Seems to indicate that the ratio is 1:1? If so, horizontally mounted sensors should work just as well as vertical?

EDIT2: Ahh, twitter formatting made it look 1:1. The actual posted picture is not.

So it's better if they're mounted vertically. Shit. There goes that plan.

Ceiling mounting isn't super easy for me since I have stipling on my ceiling. I was going to mount the sensors to the wall. Will have to figure out something better.

Nova_C on
                • Options
                  TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
                  edited January 2017
                  Why can't you mount them on the wall?
                  I use these on my ceiling but they can be used on the wall:
                  https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00AFX09P8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tharghor on
                • Options
                  I played a few random games last night. It's kind of aggravating that the Touch doesn't automatically map over the gamepad, as there are apparently several titles that just will not play without the gamepad or Oculus Remote.

Stonebridge Virtual College demo: Did not want to recognize the Touch, and it took me way too long to realize that was what was going on. The first thing it wants you to do is click on a little guy, and it doesn't tell you what button it's waiting for. But it must have recognized the Touch at first, because there are some menus to click through. Also, you finish the demo pretty quickly, but it doesn't tell you that you've done everything. So that could use some work. The game itself is going into a classroom and clicking on a bunch of environmental hazards like unattended Bunsen burners, people not wearing coats or goggles in the lab, open windows, etc. It kind of makes me feel like Dwight from The Office being the safety officer. "(gasp) Backpack on the floor! Fact: 500 workers *every year* are seriously injured by tripping hazards. By adopting a prone form of locomotion I extend my life expectancy by 0.02 percent."

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™ - VR Experience: Well, it's free, the environments are pretty, and the sound effects are good. Downsides are a pre-load menu that requires you to get out of the headset, didn't recognize my Touch and I had to use the gamepad, no teleportation movement and head bob on top of that. Really shows up the Rift's god rays, too, and everything is disconcertingly fisheye-bendy when you look around. Eh, free is free.

ARTAAL VR: Somehow I couldn't get "Press A to Start" to trigger using any of the controllers. Don't know what was up with that.

Portal Stories: Some short Portal-style puzzles in VR, about 20-30 minutes' worth. It was fun enough, and free (assuming you own Portal 2 like everyone on the planet). Oddly, the game stuck me in the floor even though it's fine in SteamVR; changing the compatibility mode of the executables to Windows 7 fixes that. Somehow I thought this was the game where everyone was seeing how big GlaDOS is, but no.

The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed: Started playing this but didn't get very far before calling it a night. It's got decent teleportation movement and inventory mechanics and seems like it could be fun. I kind of don't like adventure games with a ton of extraneous items you can pick up, but I guess it's to make it more immersive in VR.

I just noticed that I'm getting tiny white flashing dots on my display when the screen is mostly black. Or maybe they're happening all the time but I'm only seeing them on black backgrounds. A Google search shows people with a similar problem with red dots, but I'm pretty sure mine were white. The red dots are apparently usually down to a poor HDMI connection, so I guess I'll check that when I get home. Maybe something got loose when I moved it over the holidays; definitely hope nothing's broken.

This discussion has been closed.