As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Also you're all terrible at talking people out of things!

nibXTE7.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I really want to do an A2 service rifle match gun. But I'll probably just settle for a rifle length upper for my AR.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Also you're all terrible at talking people out of things!

Don't read the Steam threads.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm going to do some work on the flintlock hawken rifle this weekend and it should be ready to fire so I'll take pics.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    P6qFQ43l.jpg

That happened today (S&W Victory .22) and I also ordered a Scorpion Carbine from Impact Guns. Ugh, there goes my fun fund.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Why do I have the sudden urge to get a P320 in .357 SIG?!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Why do I have the sudden urge to get a P320 in .357 SIG?!

because it's .357

It's a badass round! Everybody I've talked to loves it!

But it's expensive, so why do I have the urge to get a caliber that I can't split cases with my friends?

• musanmanmusanman Registered User regular

But it's expensive, so why do I have the urge to get a caliber that I can't split cases with my friends?

ugh everybody I know who shoots 357 sig will only talk about 357 sig. So many fucking conversations about your crimping and shit while you reload your 357 sig. I'm just trying to paste targets SHUT UP

sic2sig.jpg
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    musanman wrote: »

ugh everybody I know who shoots 357 sig will only talk about 357 sig. So many fucking conversations about your crimping and shit while you reload your 357 sig. I'm just trying to paste targets SHUT UP

So .357 Sig shooters are like Vegans and Atheists? :P

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

No Glock shooters are like Vegans and Atheists

.357 shooters are like gym bros.

Then you've got your AK Operat0rs, then your .22 plinksters, then your combat shotgun enthusiasts, and then you've got your "AR15 for "Home Defense"" apologists.

:D

Speaking of AK Operators, the AK Operators Union guys predicted during Shot Show this year that the lower end AK clone rifles would start going back down in price closer to where they were a couple of years ago. So WASRs around $400, NPAPs below $600 etc.

And it looks like they were correct. Which is great because I only have 5.45x39 AKs and wanted to get a 7.62x39 AK soon.

NSDFRand wrote: »
    Speaking of AK Operators, the AK Operators Union guys predicted during Shot Show this year that the lower end AK clone rifles would start going back down in price closer to where they were a couple of years ago. So WASRs around $400, NPAPs below $600 etc.

And it looks like they were correct. Which is great because I only have 5.45x39 AKs and wanted to get a 7.62x39 AK soon.

Depending on how things go during the current administration if Russian Imports aren't banned any more you'll see a return to sub $300 AKs (vietnam era models)

Then you've got your AK Operat0rs, then your .22 plinksters, then your combat shotgun enthusiasts, and then you've got your "AR15 for "Home Defense"" apologists.

But where does 10mm fall?

Hipsters. "Oh, .40 S&W? I liked that barrel diameter before it was widespread."

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Nah, that's like 6.5 Creedmoor. 10mm is your Tim Allen MORE POWER HOO HOO HOOH.

6.5 isn't really that either, though, since it really is an outstanding round.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

What if you like the 1911?

Rchanen wrote: »

What if you like the 1911?

You own Band of Brothers box set and somewhere in your home is a picture of Patton.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Is the FN 5.7 useful as a self defense round? I've shot one before and really liked it but it's holy fuck so much money.

I've been practicing with a Shield 9mm lately and like it a lot, but the capacity and low recoil of the FN are intriguing.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Is the FN 5.7 useful as a self defense round? I've shot one before and really liked it but it's holy fuck so much money.

I've been practicing with a Shield 9mm lately and like it a lot, but the capacity and low recoil of the FN are intriguing.

I've been looking at comparisons between the 5-7 and the FNX and holy god it's ridiculous the things people will say. They get into like, comparing wound cavitation patterns and talking about how unless you're being attacked by 5 assailants simultaneously all wearing level 3 body armor and you're loaded with AP the 5-7 might as well be airsoft because the bullets will go right through them and they'll just keep coming at you.

It's fine. It's good enough for the Secret Service. It makes a big flash and you get 20 out of the box before you have to reload, or 30 with an extended magazine. If you can't put something down with 20 rounds no caliber bullet will help.

nibXTE7.png
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Yes, that was the entire reason the round was designed. That said, like most the other odd ball pistol cartridges(see^ .357 sig), you going to pay 2x as much for ammo. And the pistol itself is $$$.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited January 2017

General consensus is that 5.7 mm isn't practical as a self defense round. In ammo types available for civilians, it can't do the one task it was designed for (defeating soft body armor) which you really wouldn't consider an important factor for self defense anyway while the numbers I can look up at work for ballistic gelatin tests put it just barely in the acceptable penetration range (seems to score on the lower end of 12 to 18 inches). Higher velocity means it can be more accurate at a longer distance than most pistol rounds, but that's beyond the distances normally considered for self defense.

So it could be used (not practical is not the same thing as not useful) but other options are better.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
    That said I'm still buying an HK45 because 50,000 round MTBF.

nibXTE7.png
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Alright that kind of lines up with what I figured. Poking around a few firearms forums mostly led to "lol it's a BB gun" arguments which sounded like BS.

Alright that kind of lines up with what I figured. Poking around a few firearms forums mostly led to "lol it's a BB gun" arguments which sounded like BS.

Yeah, it's not THAT low on effectiveness. It's just not that effective for what you pay for ammo and limited platform selection.

Steam Profile
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Went to the range last night, shot a Baretta .22 M9 civilian version.

Oh my fuck is that thing awful.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    If you need more rounds for your M&P Shield, get the MagGuts kit, which is a spring & baseplate replacement kit for your factory magazines, adding either +1 or +2 rounds, depending upon the kit. I'm also contemplating the Shield, and I would get the +1 for the flush magazine and the +2 for the backup extended magazine.
    http://magguts.com/shop/smith-wesson
    Single stacks will never have the capacity of double stacks, but for those of us who prefer slimmer grips, the little bit of extra capacity helps, particularly when it doesn't change the overall size.

iTNdmYl.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I'd argue yes, but not as effective as 9mm. It's a round designed to penetrate armor. The FN FiveSeven handgun isn't something particularly concealable, either.

Edit: The difficulty in concealing the pistol and the cost of ammo (i.e. less chance chance to train) are really the big issues here.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Will be uploading the video that goes with this... .54 cal flintlock patched round ball @20 yards with no sight

170atk2twd1a.jpg

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Mannnnnn, I love the delay. I really have to shoot one of those some day!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    I've thought about getting a black powder revolver. The ones I saw were pretty cheap, and since the BATFE doesn't consider them a firearm you can have one sent to your house through the mail.

I've thought about getting a black powder revolver. The ones I saw were pretty cheap, and since the BATFE doesn't consider them a firearm you can have one sent to your house through the mail.

my .02

Get a single shot, like a percussion or flintlock Kentucky pistol. They run about $250 so they're in the same ballpark price wise (cheaper than most) if you're not used to black powder.

I say this as someone that got REALLY into black powder last year and I've learned a lot (and spent WAY too much money on it).

You may know all of this, but I'll post it for the rest of the thread.

Black Powder Substitute (pyrodex, triple 7, etc) is not Black Powder. It's chemically similar, but burns upward instead of exploding. Black Powder explodes. You have to use real black powder in flintlocks because substitute won't work, so I was nervous as shit firing that flintlock for the first time, which, along with the delay, is why they're called "flinch locks"

I didn't flinch tho because I had honestly had 10 misfires in that video before it went off. :D

If you do get a revolver, pay $350 minimum and get one with a steel frame. The Brass frame models are made to be replicas of the confederate pistols because the south didn't have a lot of steel and they're nice and they work, but the brass will eventually expand. It's not worth it if you think you're ever going to put more than 50 rounds through it.

Loading a Kentucky single shot pistol is easy. Loading six cylinders on a revolver, powder, ball, then grease, then caps is tiresome and nasty. That grease (used to prevent chain fires, where multiple cylinders go off at once and the gun explodes) is necessary, but when it mixes with the blackpowder it gets a nasty goo everywhere.

If you're new to it, start with percussion. You can use black powder substitute which is safer and it's easier to do. I went to flintlock because I wanted something that would work without caps because I have a pretty abundant supply of flint.

If a flintlock is tuned properly, you can see there isn't much delay. It will usually be even faster than what was in the video. They don't work if wet, which is where percussion got the advantage. Also if you're hunting with them the flash will scare off animals.

If you're going to get into revolvers, try to find a .36 cal. Most of the commercial ones are .44 cal (use a .450 ball so it'll fully seal) because it looks cooler, but .36 is more accurate historically.

If you're getting into percussion rifles or flintlock, if you want to target shoot or go for small game get a .36. They're pricey, and there's not a lot of kit guns anymore, but the .32 Traditions Crockett, while cool looking, has to be cleaned more often because of the narrow barrel and the .32 ball isn't as accurate at a distance. I like .54 because it's a good solid shooting rifle, but it does kick. A .45 or .50 doesn't have much kick to it.

If you do get into shooting, know there's a hidden cost in accessories, cleaning kits, etc. You'll want to have a good shooting bag (possibles bag) that has a few rounds, your powder horn and priming flask (flintlock) or caps, spare flints, cleaning attachments, bore lube, etc. And you'll have a box of hardware to properly clean it at home.

It easily adds $100+ to the purchase price of a muzzleloader and is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Happy to answer any other black powder questions.

edited January 2017
    Finally built some shelves and got some hooks, and got the closet sorted out. Everything nice and neat now, I can actually get to the safe for a change, and have a place for the ammo cans that isn't the floor.

mA5WI1P.jpg?1

I went to BassPro today to see how disappointed I'd be in their .22 ammo (very disappointed), and while I was wandering around there was a guy buying a pistol. He does the paperwork, they get to the register, the gun counter guy asks how he wants to pay and the guy goes "First I want to buy these" and drops a handful of $50 BassPro gift cards on the counter. The counter guy rings it up, $750, the guy pays it in cash. Then proceeds to pay for the pistol with the $750 in gift cards. He notices the counter guy sort of giving him the side-eye and says "Never can be too careful."

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Did he think they were going to track his cash

Did he not realize they already have all his information from the paperwork

I don't understand how using gift cards you literally just bought with cash instead of just using that cash to buy the gun is "being careful"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm Canadian and I'm heading down to Arizona at the end of February for vacation. I'd like to try my hand at shooting. I haven't fired a gun since I was teenager (about 20 years ago) and that was my friend's .22. Just looking for general advice on what would be good, educational activities for a complete newbie. Also, if anyone is familiar with the ins and outs of any hoops I would need to jump through as a foreign tourist (I am assuming this is a legal activity since Canadian friends of my dad who vacation in the area are active gun enthusiasts). I will probably be going to the range with my dad and a friend of his who is a retired USAF officer.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    As far as I'm aware you just can't be a felon, adjudicated mentally incompetent, or have an order of protection against you for domestic violence.

Other than taking a class there's not really much more you can do than going shooting with people who know what they're doing.

The NRA puts on all kinds of basic classes from general safety to specific pistil, shotgun, and rifle classes. The NRA catches a lot of shit but they do have an infrastructure in place in which a standard level of instruction exists for the training topics through certification.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    As a cowboy action shooter, probably the first thing people do with these blackpowder replica revolvers is go out and get a drop in cartridge conversion cylinder, because going fully blackpowder is a pain in the butt in practice. Note that a blackpowder revolver plus conversion cylinder costs the same as a typical single action revolver, so the main reason people buy them is for looks - the open top 1851 Navy just looks better in it's original form than it does in it's 1871 form redesigned for cartridges.
    http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-conversions.html

iTNdmYl.png
  • ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So I found out I'm probably going to be going deer hunting later this year (sometime in October) so I've been shopping around for a higher caliber rifle since currently the only rifle I own is a .22. What are some good semi-budget options that are good for deer hunting? Lets say approximately <= $500 with out a scope or <= $800 with a scope.

ironhead on
    edited January 2017
    ironhead wrote: »
    So I found out I'm probably going to be going deer hunting later this year (sometime in October) so I've been shopping around for a higher caliber rifle since currently the only rifle I own is a .22. What are some good semi-budget options that are good for deer hunting? Lets say approximately <= $500 with out a scope or <= $800 with a scope.

Savage Axis II in .308. Should be about $450 out the door, including a bundled Weaver 4x9x40 scope that's perfectly fine.

It's an outstanding budget rifle. Like, the next step up in price would be a base model Remmy 700 without a scope, and it'd be a step down in quality.

SummaryJudgment on