As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Lucius changes have honestly made me curious about him. I'm actually interested in adding him to my Neverborn and Guild collections.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about walloping a Rasputina player. If he gets a hang of her mechanics she can blast you to pieces fairly well.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The ice dancer's thing where they get to re-position on being 'successfully targeted' by a non-melee attack. That happens before any flipping right? It was the 'successfully' bit that understandably made my opponent think it happened after the attack flip. How could you fail at targeting?

Game went well. I felt a little bad when I rifled his ice golem to bits before it could reach me, but in my defence I didn't expect to kill it and jokers were unexpectedly involved!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    What is the wording? I haven't read the ability.

The Ice Golem is, even with its upgrade, unfortunately just not that great. It's too slow and not tough enough to offset that. If you want to give him some advice for a good replacement, Snowstorm is a fucking beast.

edit - reading Pull My Finger, it's after targetting. Which means that it's before the flip. This means it can push you out of being a valid target for the attack. Opponent targets the Ice Dancer, player discards a card (this alone can be fairly hefty if you don't have any low cards to throw away), Ice Dancer pushes, is now not a legal target due to range, duel does not proceed and action is spent.

-Loki- on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to a Newcius run tonight. Only a 35ss game and against a new player and their Rasputina box (possibly with an Ice Dancer thrown in, depends how frustrated he got when he met Malifux model construction).

Going Scribe, Dashel, 2 x riflemen, a Death Marshal and a Warden. I shall try my best to be instructive without being too unpleasantly crushing and only rifle battery something minor to death at first to warn him of the threat. Though to be fair I have very little clue what Rasputina can do.

All of her Frozen Heart stuff is Immune to Horror and he can measure range and LOS for her spells from all other Frozen Heart models

Got a second small house and dug out some trees for my Malifaux board. This let me change the layout of the raised walkways as well to be denser.

851316_sm-.JPG

The Other Side ended at 325k. More than I was expecting, with 2 free Adjuncts (basically squad leaders). They've also left the stretch goal progression open in the pledge manager so we might see another goal or two hit.

They've put the 2 LE models we never reached as addons for dual commander and up, $25 each. I was considering upping to dual commander in the pledge manager but I certainly will now.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Started blocking out my table:
    20170120_164954.jpg

Because Spooooky Graveyards

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    That's a great resser themed table. I've long wanted to try to make an 'edge of town' type table. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Well shit I finally get Through the Breach and they announce v2.0.

Sounds like it's a cleanup more than a revision though. Pursuits redone to mirror the new structure in the expansions, some new abilities, redone magic system, cleaned up rules and an expanded bestiary.

man Stitched Together are so fun. In fact pretty much every unit in Malifaux, or at least Neverborn gets to be fun. I think its one of the reasons I find it so refreshing.

Agreed. Not only does every unit feel useful and fun, but every unit seems to stay on the table long enough to be useful and fun. Like, in Infinity the game is so lethal that even your hammer units can die well before you actually plan to do anything with them. In Malfaux, even your cheap activations or scheme runners take effort to bring down, generally having enough wounds that you need a medium or severe damage flip but something (high DF/WP, Incorporeal, Armour, HTK, ITW, etc) to make that unlikely to happen outside of a damage focused Enforcer, Henchman or Master Focus attacking them. Which, you know, should be a powerful hit.

The only models that don't stay on the table long are models designed to be sacrificed, like Daydreams, Electrical Creations or Stolen, so you rarely get into a situation where you spend ages painting a nice looking miniature and every game your opponent kills it before it does anything.

Ok guys I need your help. I'm at Cancon and there are a bunch of limited edition malifaux models in the 2nd hand sale but the prices are high enough that I'm not willing to just buy them all. So are these prices fair or should I tell them they're dreaming? There's a Johana for 50 bucks, Miss Ery for 40 and a Miss step for a price I forget. They're still also a nightmare whisky golden old metal nightmare dreamers and more I didn't examine cos I ran out of time. All prices are in aussie dollars. Fair prices? Garbage? Please advise.

edited January 2017
    The prices you mentioned sound good. I see those go for those prices in US dollars regularly, so you're seeing them a bit cheaper.

-Loki- on
    Cheers Loki! You're not at Cancon? Anything you're looking for while I'm digging around in this bin of limited edition stuff?

Nah I couldn't make it. I've already got someone down there looking for stuff for me, but thanks for the offer.

edited January 2017
    No worries. I'm going to have a different through this box tomorrow and have a better look.

Ooh there was dead justice box. Isn't that kkind of rare now?

Asher on
    edited January 2017
    Yeah Dead Justice is pretty rare. Usually goes for $100us.

Rarest to look for is Through the Breach Hannah. Usually looking at $200us for her.

Hannah,%2BChief%2BFriekorps%2BArchivest%2B-%2BPackaging.JPG

-Loki- on
    Hmm there WAS a Hannah. Not sure which version. Ill have to have a serious look.

edited January 2017
    If it's that Hannah I'd advise buying it if you ever plan to run her (and you can afford the asking price). It's simply a much nicer model than the general release. LE Hannah is on the left, the smaller one.

Hannah,%2BFriekorps%2BLibrarian%2B-%2BBoth%2BVersions%2B(1).JPG

-Loki- on
    They have 2 Hannahs but sadly the normal ones. There is an Alt Barbaros for 45, dufresene is 35 and alt firestarter is 20. They want 120 for dead justice so they were told they were dreaming

Those are fantastic prices for Dusfresne, Barbaros and the Firestarter. Those are all $35us when Wyrd has them available in their sales so you'd be paying almost $50au before shipping.

edited January 2017
    Noted. might go nuts then.

Someone got firestarter and I decided to be circumspect and only got Barbaros who I have cravedone for a long time.

Asher on
    edited January 2017
    Alternate Barbaros is such a nice mini. Way better than the standard Barbaros. I nabbed him during Black Friday.

At the moment, I'm only really after foil Neverborn and Gremlin cards for the masters I play, and Guilders for the few Vintage masters I want. Right now there's just not many LE models left that I want but don't have.

-Loki- on
    edited January 2017
    I didn't realise Divergant Paths was over. End results were:

Trickster Lady - Ressurectionist, Ressurectionist, Neverborn, Neverborn. Overall Winner - Neverborn.
    She's some kind of Black Blood manipulator. Her final story has her ripping the Black Blood out of a Nephilim and using it as a corrosive whip. She's tied to Lord Chompy Bits and the Dreamer in that she seems to have caught Lord Chompy Bits eye as a potential replacement for the Dreamer if he dies, in that she can manipulate reality.

Child - Neverborn, Neverborn, Outcasts, Ten Thunders. Overall Winner - Outcasts.
    I'm not sure where they're going at all with her. She's got a pet mini Teddy, and seems to be able to make Wicked Dolls from her time with the Neverborn. But with the Outcasts and Ten Thunders, I'm not sure what they added that's going to make a difference, other than Leveticus seemingly giving her some mechanical replacement organs and possibly the ability to Resurrect through her like a Hollow Waif which seems bizarre for a named character?

Self Righteous Man - Arcanist, Guild, Arcanist, Arcanist. Overall Winner - Arcanists.
    He's a Werewolf.

We know they're all going to be Mercenaries so anyone can hire them. It will be interesting to see how much they add to their own factions as well as outside. I'm super excited about the Trickster Lady. I was groaning when I saw Neverborn were winning the Child, since Neverborn have more than enough creepy children. The Trickster is more unique in that she looks like a noble lady, which I don't think Neverborn have yet, and her abilities sound downright awesome.

-Loki- on
    OK as a newbie, what is divergent paths? What just happened? I assume some kind of campaign where the winners get new characters?

edited January 2017
    It was like the old GW worldwide campaigns. They added 3 new characters - the Trickster Lady, the Self Righteous Man and the Child.

Every fortnight they released a set of story strategies, one for each character. Each week a Henchman could submit the results from one game from each Strategy to influence the characters next story step, and the rest of the games results to impact the characters final home faction.

Also each week they gave each character several paragraphs of fluff and a brief rundown of what would happen to the character depending on the faction that won their story step.

The final characters will be in a future book. Maybe the next book but more likely the one after, but their full stories are up to read on Wyrds website and going to the Community>Divergent Paths and clicking on the character you want to read about.

-Loki- on
    Ah cool, I'll check it out. I also grabbed some Insidious Madnesses so my Dreamer Crew is pretty fleshed out now. Guess I need to get building.

You'll see a lot of griping about the Insidious Madnesses, and when you look at the sprue they look really daunting. My advice - use the intructions, take it slow, and do not clip everything off the sprue immediately. It's much easier to build them when you have each on their own little frame and the peices easily identifiable from each other.

It wasn't just Henchmen, anyone could submit from their home games which was cool.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Oh yeah I forgot about that. It was a nice concession for people without a Henchperson. IIRC you needed a forum account which they limited submissions by.

BTW there's another worldwide event coming up - A Twist in Time, which I'm guessing focuses around Aionus. However, it's only for Through the Breach, since that game was left out of Divergant Paths. I'm guessing because it was a bit much collating all the results for the Nythera campaign which used both games.

Though it opens up something interesting for the future - possibly multiple worldwide events per year. One for Malifaux, one for Through the Breach, one fot The Other Side. They could use this to do crossovers as well.

Any advice on running Barbaros now that I have sexy alt barbie? The lasttime I was playing Lilith I dropped him for Nekima pretty quickly because I like things that are unnecessarily agressive. He seems pretty tanking and pretty good at control. Not super killy but good at getting all up in peoples business and challenging to disrupt their movement, force them to drain cards on bad flips etc. Oh and he's a massive enabler of push/pounce shenanigans.

edited February 2017
    He's a tanky Nephilim which in itself is rare. So if you need something with staying power and are adamant about staying in theme with Lilith, he's an option.

Current best uses are with Pandora and Titania in any strategy and scheme combination that requires you to bunch up. Couple him with some models with Misery and people taking those WP attacks to do anything but attack him will be plinking damage off Misery.

With Titania using her with Behold my Glory he's utterly bonkers. This is a condition added to enemies with a new trigger on her attacks that makes that enemy need to discard 2 cards to do anything except target Titania. Have Barbaros with her and use Challenge, and models need to pass a Wp duel to do anything but target Barbaros. So they either discard 2 cards to attack Barbaros, pass a Wp duel to target Titania, or discard 2 cards and pass a Wp duel to do something else. Get Behold my Glory on 2 models and they either beat on one of two pretty resilient models or they likely won't have a hand left, and in a scheme and strategy combination where they want to be doing things other than punch brick walls, it can really mess with their ability to do other things.

Titania can also take The Queens Champion which if you get it off it can give him positives to attack flips (making him a bit more reliable as a beater), +1 armour and drops schemes when he kills things, which in turn heals Titania.

-Loki- on
    edited February 2017
    February Chronicles is out, and there's a scenario in it that looks super fun - Cabin in the Woods.

The Survivors are a 25ss crew led by a Henchman that deploy in a 6x6 cabin area in the middle of the board, always with the Frame for Murder and Distract schemes. The Killers are a 50ss crew led by a henchman that deploy anywhere 8" away from the cabin, and always has the Assassinate and Make them Suffer schemes. Essentially everything is Rare 1 for the scenario, so you can't even have duplicate minions.

Survivors always get a positive to duels inside the cabin area. Any time a Killer engages a Survivor, the Survivor may make a 'scramble away' action by making a TN12 Wp duel, and if they pass, they can push 2" in any direction. If they fail, the Killers player may push any model 2".

Survivors gain 1VP for any model that reaches a board edge, Killers gain 1VP for any enemy model killed.

That seems like a whole bunch of fun, and a good scenario to add to the Halloween pool.

-Loki- on
    Got another Slow Grow. Entry fee was buying a crew box from the store, which will be your master for the duration. I wanted to stick with expanding my Neverborn, so I grabbed Collodi. Would have preferred Zoraida or Lynch, but they only had Collodi. Going to be a challenge playing him in strategies that aren't focused in one area, but at least I get to try something different.

Hopefully I can get the Brutal and Arcane effigies so I can try the burning death ball.

First game against a Lillith tonight. 10/10 draw (should have been a 10/9 loss really but he got sloppy and rushed what he thought was the last turn).

The Melee monsters I was expecting. The pain of the roots I was not. Those bloody trees got right in my way as well.

Ended with all of two figures left. I need a melee beatstick of my own but need to wait for the thralls to come out as they're too perfect for Lucius.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like he played Lilith properly. People see her (admittedly pretty good) Greatsword attack and try to use her as a beatstick. Lilith is best played where you rarely, if ever use the sword. Rooting enemies, placing Illusionary Forests and teleporting friendly and enemy models are all far better uses of her AP than her sword.

-Loki- on
    edited March 2017
    I had an interesting experience in my slow grow on the weekend.
    Went in for a game, and I'm matched to someone I've never played. He asked what master I was playing, I told him Collodi, and he asked if I wanted him to play Collodi against me to tech me how to play him. I really didn't care either way, so he asked me to pick a master for him to play. He's a hyper competitive Neverborn player and can play any master. I picked Lilith for him. He comes over and tells me he got the henchman to build him a crew blind since he's super good with Lilith and has played her at tournaments and wants to go easy on me.

Since it's a slow grow there's all sorts of funky little achievements. We I give him half my soul stones, let him pick my schemes, and intend to play the whole game with an open hand, no cheating and no stone use. Put my crew down which was Collodi, Strum the Threads, Breathe of Life, Vasilisa, 3 Marionettes, 2 Wicked Dolls and 2 Bunraku (I borrowed them off my brother to see how they work with Collodi). His blind crew was Lilith, Angel Eyes, Teddy, Baby Kade, Lelu and Lilitu. Not sure about upgrades.

First turn I shuffle forward, and he slingshots Teddy right into me with a double move and 'Where's Teddy' from Kade. I could see on his face he was super excited to see Teddy wreck some stuff. Collodi hadn't moved yet so he My Will'd a Bunraku to do a Snatch on Teddy, which brought him into base to base contact.

Turn 2 I got initiative and charged the other Bunraku into Teddy, passed my Terror test and hit him twice. His next turn teddy totally whiffed his attacks. My next turn, second Bunraku just about finished Teddy off. He then Where's Teddy'd again, realised he had nowhere to push Teddy because the Bunraku were blocking him into a building, and Kade was left overexposed. Vasilisa Obeyed a Bunraku who finished Teddy off. The Henchman walked past to see how it was going, and he said he knew how he was going to win. Then he chaged Lilith into Vasilisa, and once again whiffed his attacks. Collodi used Pull The Strings three times on Lilith and got 2 Severes and a Red Joker for damage (all without any cheating) and Lilith was gone. He then complained that I play Collodi 'differently' to him and he had no idea what I was doing.

Opponent now had 'the face'. He stared glumly at the table and started doing dumb shit. He Defensive Stanced Lelu and Lilitu so many times that by the end of the 3rd and 4th turns they were on Defensive 4 each thanks to sharing conditions. He walked Angel Eyes into combat and then did nothing. he let me kill Kade. He obviously just wanted the game to end. By the end of the game, the only models he killed were a Marionette and Wicked Doll who died to Black Blood pulses as they were on one wound when they engaged Lelu, and a Bunraku in the same combat.

In the end, I won I think 6-0 and he had no models left.

tl;dr I played a self confessed 'hyper competitive' tournament player who played a blind crew made by someone else and gave up on turn 2 when I killed his Teddy and Lilith.

I honestly hope I never play him again. Call the game, or just play and try to win. Don't just fucking give up and do stupid shit and waste my time.

-Loki- on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    When you say
    self confessed 'hyper competitive' tournament player

I think what you mean is
    bad player

• NastrondNastrond Registered User regular
    I really don't get people who give up in Malifaux. Sure, you might not have a prayer of winning, but you do have a prayer of scoring one more point than you currently have, or denying them from scoring even more points.

How are you going to get better if you don't practice those two things?

edited March 2017
    admanb wrote: »
    When you say
    self confessed 'hyper competitive' tournament player

I think what you mean is
    bad player

Well I also found out he is a henchman in another area of the city, and apparently badgers our local henchman about doing a tournament between the groups because his players are better.

Basically that group started all turning up in the first week of the slow grow, brought no models but demanded to be given games, so people broke out their collections to let them have games. That henchman looks like he's also managed to get his way into the league without paying the entry fee, which bothers me a lot because my brother and nephew couldn't join because they couldn't afford the entry fee so close to Christmas.

-Loki- on