As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Blood! For Glory! [For Honor]!

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Okay, so Nobushi is pretty rad. She can flat out demolish someone who doesn't respect her damage output and can make use of her distance to handle 3v1's pretty confidently.

Peace Keeper is a lot of fun but between the weird timing issues with her grab stab and the difficulty of deflects I do terrible on her.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I just had an intense 4v1 which I survived by being extremely defensive, using the adds as cover and harassment and then being saved by my teammates. Conqueror 4 lyfe

Honestly once you go past 2v1 the added bodies are probably more of a hindrance than an aid. Between the added revenge gain, accidentally staggering eachother and the fact that they could be more useful on other bits of the map.

Don't be afraid to look at a situation and then leave confident your team can clean up the plate.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Also don't be surprised when they disappoint you. Nobushi is life btw - I haven't touched another character since I started using her.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'm watching rogue one tonight, but ill be on later. Definitely first thing Saturday morning.

I'm gonna try and get good with conqueror, because shields have been my jam in DnD when I play martial classes.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Any pointers for multiples vs 1?

I haven't ended up in that situation too often but usually I just panic, which doesn't help.

Edit: Ben, give Warlord a look too for some classic sword and board action.

Inquisitor on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Any pointers for multiples vs 1?

I haven't ended up in that situation too often but usually I just panic, which doesn't help.

Remain calm, remember that blocking people you're not locked on to is based on their direction relative to you, not their stance. Also remember that most of the time if you're fighting multiples your job is to stall first, kill second.

Yeah, just stay away from them, don't let them get behind you, play very defensively.

Ah good tip for dominion: Staying at A or C gives you an additional +1 per second.

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ah good tip for dominion: Staying at A or C gives you an additional +1 per second.

Also builds your EXP for power unlocks. Similarly, killing mooks at B adds 1 point per mook. A decent basic strategy is go to A or C until you hit level 1, turn on HP and Stamina regen from mook kills, and then live at B, assuming you have that power.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Also builds your EXP for power unlocks. Similarly, killing mooks at B adds 1 point per mook. A decent basic strategy is go to A or C until you hit level 1, turn on HP and Stamina regen from mook kills, and then live at B, assuming you have that power.

I like using the Conqueror power and just stand there to earn XP super fast. And then just sit at a point playing King of the Hill and Ambulance

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I know I said before I was going to do some duels to learn the characters, but I can't stop playing Dominion. It's too fun.

Just played a bunch of games in a row with more or less the same people. There was one level 20 berserker who was just wrecking everyone. A couple of times I managed to get into a one on one fight with him, and I used the opportunity to get some parry practice in. I swear, twice in one game we were both around equal health and I'd be about to beat him after a sick parry and a teammate of his would run up from behind and execute me. That's war I guess.

I also had a very satisfying moment where 3 of the enemy team was ganging up on one of my allies right on the edge of a spike pit. One Raider grab dropped one in the pit, the second Raider grab dropped the second and knocked the third in at the same time. Hell yeah.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Been playing for a while tonight, and I feel like I fundamentally misunderstand something. I lose every match (against non-bots), and I have no idea why.

jdarksun on
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Been playing for a while tonight, and I feel like I fundamentally misunderstand something. I lose every match (against non-bots), and I have no idea why.

What class are you playing?

Played as the Viking Vanguard for a while, then switched over to the Knight ... uh, Heavy? The guy with a morning star.

I usually go 3-0 vs. the bots, but the matches versus real people seem to overwhelm me super quickly.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

Played as the Viking Vanguard for a while, then switched over to the Knight ... uh, Heavy? The guy with a morning star.

I usually go 3-0 vs. the bots, but the matches versus real people seem to overwhelm me super quickly.

My best advice is pick a character and learn everything about them. Parry combos, cancels, everything. Scour the move list, practice until you can 1v2 the bots. The AI has great reaction time, but uses really poor combo strings, so they're excellent at learning how to fluidly string together combos, but bad at learning how to play defensively.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Man, if this is what I can expect the servers to be like in the main game (and this is Ubisoft, so yeah), then I'm not paying money for this.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Dropped into a duel and got matched against this Peacekeeper that figured me out far faster than I figured him out. It was all I could do to lose 2-3.

And then I started bullying him. Throwing him into corners. Shield charging to push him back into corridors. Once I stopped letting him move the fight to the open he had no answers. It felt wonderful.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've been watching Ster play the beta of this on his stream, and boy it looks pretty darn fun. Definitely may have to pick this up when it comes out.

Probably a good thing I'm not in the open beta though, too much homework, not enough time as it is.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

I'm Kat_oiseau on uplay if you're on pc. I'm super up for just doing duels till you get more comfortable.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, randoms, but if you expect Brawl to just be 2 1v1 Duels in the same match, I don't want to hear you crying when I CHOO CHOO your back.

MegaMek wrote: »
    Man, if this is what I can expect the servers to be like in the main game (and this is Ubisoft, so yeah), then I'm not paying money for this.

They're definitely testing something, the game was much more stable on alpha. But if you mean while in a match, that's because the game is P2P :/

Docshifty wrote: »
    I'm sorry, randoms, but if you expect Brawl to just be 2 1v1 Duels in the same match, I don't want to hear you crying when I CHOO CHOO your back.

Yuuuup.

It's entirely on you if you wanna be 'honourable' and self impose rules on yourself. The game does not give a shit when I slam into you and stab your kidney.

If someone wants to fight a 1v1 duel, there is a 1v1 mode called Duel.

• fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I let people finish their duels without interfering, then proceed to wreck their face 1v1. I'm pretty sure I've only lost the second duel twice. I also don't use environment kills or res my teammate. All of those rules stay in place until one of my opponents breaks them, then I am absolutely merciless. Also, I will usually switch to something other than Berserker if my opponents keep wanting rematches, generally after we've won 3-0 twice.

fsmith1 on
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    I let people finish their duels without interfering, then proceed to wreck their face 1v1. I'm pretty sure I've only lost the second duel twice. I also don't use environment kills or res my teammate. All of those rules stay in place until one of my opponents breaks them, then I am absolutely merciless. Also, I will usually switch to something other than Berserker if my opponents keep wanting rematches, generally after we've won 3-0 twice.

I mean, go for it.

I think most of us are ribbing on the guys who complain about those rules being broken like they're actual rules rather than flair/swagging on someone.

edited January 2017
    If you don't want to use the tools the game gives you well, your call but, I definitely will. I wouldn't call your own self imposed limitations "rules" but, if that is how you like to play go for it.

Personally I'd be annoyed if my 2v2 partner didn't go in on the 2v1 with me. I clicked the 2v2, not 1v1 playmode for a reason.

Inquisitor on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, I have thoughts on what to do in brawl 2v1 situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrXuvEpOJI

Also on standing too close to ledges. Shoutout to the guy I was playing with; don't know what your forum handle is, but that was a good night of play :+1:

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
    I'm going to try to be on For Honor a good bit today on PC, uplay name Winterflea, so throw me invites if you see me on.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    This game reminds of War of the Roses in how visceral intense the fights can be.

It also reminds me of War of the Roses in how hilarious it is to watch people spam the same attack over and over and over again just to eventually get a lucky hit.

Are you the magic man?
    What do the attack and defense stat do on weapons? Do I seriously just do more damage or take less damage cause that seems, uh... nuts.

• BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Isn't that only for 4v4 though?

PSN: thewheelz
    What do the attack and defense stat do on weapons? Do I seriously just do more damage or take less damage cause that seems, uh... nuts.

I have a level 5 attack up weapon and I can't notice the difference.

Oh my goodness I just played the most intense series of duels against this Orochi player as my Warlord.

Our first game goes 3-0 in their favor, they are just constantly dancing in and out of attack range, I can't get anything to land, I get picked apart.

Take a deep breath and launch into the re-match, and it goes 3-0 in my favor. I'm blocking all of their attacks, catching all of their side steps, and just dismantle them.

They re-up for game three. They take a round off of me, I take two rounds off of them, they take one back. It's 2-2. Everything is brutally close, every fight we are both getting down to one hit of dying, hitting no stamina multiple times.

Final round. I move up, dodge one attack, and shove him clean off a cliff killing him instantly.

He leaves the session.

Man, when this game works, it fucking WORKS, that was intense, I feel like I need have a cigarette after that or something.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    So I had pre-ordered from GMG and I thought I'd have a beta key by now, but do not.

Uplay is
    clown_justice
    if anyone has a key available on pc.

This game desperately needs training wheels or an easy mode, because learning the game has all the approachability and charm of a series of invisible quick time events.

"DO A THING!"
    "Uh, attack I guess?"
    "WRONG, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD!"

"There is a red arrow here. DO A THING!"
    "Oh, I remember this. Block that direction."
    "GOOD JOB. 1 DOWN, 11 TO GO."
    "Wait, what-"
    "TOO LATE, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD!"

"Block!"
    "WRONG! IT IS A DIFFERNT TYPE OF RED ARROW, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD!"

"ORANGE SPLAT!"
    "Uh, I've got this super block thing-"
    "YOU'RE DEAD!"

"He's just sort of swinging at you, I guess?"
    "Oh, that doesn't seem like a big deal, block I guess."
    "WRONG! DEAD!"

"People are running."
    "OK, let's-"
    "DEAD!"

"The samurai gets - nah, never mind, DEAD!"
    "Wait how is that fair?!"
    "DEAD!"

Like I'm sure after a dozen hours of trial and error or whatever I'll start to figure it out, but it'd be way more enjoyable if the first five levels could just be a slow introduction on what to do and how to do it.

edited January 2017
    This game desperately needs training wheels or an easy mode, because learning the game has all the approachability and charm of a series of invisible quick time events.

"DO A THING!"
    "Uh, attack I guess?"
    "WRONG, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD!"

"Oh, I remember this. Block that direction."
    "GOOD JOB. 1 DOWN, 11 TO GO."
    "Wait, what-"
    "TOO LATE, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD!"

"Block!"
    "WRONG! IT IS A DIFFERNT TYPE OF RED ARROW, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD!"

"ORANGE SPLAT!"
    "Uh, I've got this super block thing-"
    "YOU'RE DEAD!"

"He's just sort of swinging at you, I guess?"
    "Oh, that doesn't seem like a big deal, block I guess."
    "WRONG! DEAD!"

"People are running."
    "OK, let's-"
    "DEAD!"

"The samurai gets - nah, never mind, DEAD!"
    "Wait how is that fair?!"
    "DEAD!"

Like I'm sure after a dozen hours of trial and error or whatever I'll start to figure it out, but it'd be way more enjoyable if the first five levels could just be a slow introduction on what to do and how to do it.

Did you do the advanced tutorial? It's buried in a menu and the game doesn't make you do it by default.

Also, yeah, you do definitely need to watch the video for your class, and then ideally watch the videos for the other classes.

Also, I'd avoid the 4v4 and 2v2 modes until you are comfortable with 1v1s. Far less information to process and it lets you focus on the fight more.

Your basic defensive options against weapon attacks are block, parry, and dodge.

Block you just hold the right stick in the direction it is coming from. This is the worst form of defense, but its also the most lenient timing wise. However, its generally not going to set you up for openings.

Parry you block in the direction the attack is coming from, and then press heavy attack after the attack direction flashes. This creates a bigger opening for you, some classes will have specific follow ups after parry. Some classes can parry with light attacks as well and get different followups, parrying with light attacks generally has easier timing.

Dodge you pick a direction and dodge in, dodging straight backwards is many times the best choice, based on enemy range, as they will whiff the attack. This is great against certain attacks. Heavy attacks from the enemy will often stagger you a lot on block, but on dodges they have long recoveries you can punish. Dodging center attacks is the easiest as they are usually overhead. Some classes have special dodge mechanics or followups. And obviously dodging is your go to against unblockables.

Then there are shoves, but honestly unless you are trying to kill someone via the environment, shoves are more like the second tier of gameplay. Once you demonstrate that you can block attacks, or once your opponent demonstrates they can consistently block attacks, is when the shoves come out to give your opponent one more thing to think about. You can counter shoves by pressing square yourself. Generally speaking through, if I predict a shove I just throw out a light attack to get a free hit on the enemy.

Perhaps try the Warlord? I found him very forgiving to learn on. He parries with light attacks with guaranteed light followups, so helps you with parry timing with lower risk. His heavy attacks keep going even if you get hit, meaning you can trade easily even if you make the wrong call. His attack strings are very simple and short, he only has light into heavy, or heavy into light, that is it. Lets you focus more on varying the directionality of your attacks instead of what strings you are using. Down on the right stick blocks attacks from ALL directions, but eats stamina, but has a guaranteed followup on block. So, if you know the enemy is about to attack but don't trust your reflexes for direction, you can just block all directions and get a free followup, using this a lot will get a smart enemy to start throwing a lot of guard breaks though, which you can punish by attacking more. But overall Warlord has a very straight forward, defensive gameplan and likes to play a very SLOW game. He has a couple big damage things like dash in, heavy, shove, light, but it telegraphs pretty bad so you need to get an opponent who is really not expecting it for it to land.

Inquisitor on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    There's like a very very basic tutorial that MAKES you do every basic action, and then even more tutorials you can choose to do after that.

Are you the magic man?
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    The single player campaign will probably be at least in part a tutorial for multiplayer too, it's worth remembering this is just a closed multiplayer beta.

PSN- AHermano
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Yeah, I have thoughts on what to do in brawl 2v1 situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrXuvEpOJI

Also on standing too close to ledges. Shoutout to the guy I was playing with; don't know what your forum handle is, but that was a good night of play :+1:

That was me!