As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Muslim Ban] and other Trump immigration policies and actions

KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is some of the most blatantly bigoted and awful shit I've seen our government do in my lifetime. Last weekend we saw millions march around the country in the Women's March on Washington and associated protests throughout the country. It was widely covered by just about every media, even the right wing media (uncharitably), and people generally found it impossible to ignore. The GOP is pushing anti-protest laws in some states - proof that mass protest scares them, in my opinion.

Just on this forum I've seen people whose lives will be negatively effected by this ban, and countless others will share similar experiences. And for all we know this is just the opening salvo in a broader "Muslims/people from Muslim-majority countries are 2nd class citizens" policy.

This must be resisted. Let's not wait and hope for someone else to start; let's organize protests against this in major cities. I live in Maine, where Lewiston has a notable Somali immigrant population who will be hit by this order, as well as others from varying backgrounds. I'm going to try to get something going in Portland, our only real city (and a progressive bastion in this state). I'm going to reach out to my friends in Massachusetts to help organize something similar in Boston.

I know little of organizing. The last time I helped organize a protest of any kind was in 2013, when the Obama administration was threatening air strikes against the Syrian government. Those protests were pretty small. This needs to be bigger. I know there are people with more experience in these things here, and enough of us here are on the same page about this that we can help do something about it. We need to contact whatever organizations will be relevant and helpful, get the word out on twitter/facebook/elsewhere online, contact whatever media will possibly cover us, and do whatever else it is people do when organizing successful protests. Maybe a catchier phrase would help too (Women's March on Washington" has a better ring to it than "anti-Muslim Ban Protests," IMO, I have yet to think of something less clumsy).

Next Saturday? 2/4/17? I see no reason to wait longer than it takes to get the word out.

Thoughts? Advice? Action? I refuse to let this happen to my fucking country without a fight.

So It Goes on

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think the Women's March thread had a bunch of links for protesting in general, as well as contacting Congressfolk to say what the shit.

As for a name, maybe something like the Salaam March? Take ownership of your culture and faith, and demand that your humanity be recognised.

Good luck.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I don't know how to even begin and I can't even process what must be done right now

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited January 2017
    All I can say rigt now is @Mim is right

If white people don't hold other white people to account we have no hope for freedom

I just got into a fight with my mom who called me to stop posting on Facebook and to keep my head down

People who might be affected are scared and want to ride it out. She doesn't understand that there may be no riding this one out. This is the first salvo in a clear escalation.

Hakkekage on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    countries sept 11 hijackers came from; 15/19 saudi arabia, rest lebanon, egypt and uae.

countries affected by muslim ban; Syria, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen

pink = trump commercial interests
    green = banned countries

C3G8Fl5XgAESvIe.jpg:large

to emphasise the self-mutilating stupidity of this let us consider Maryam Mirzakhani at stanford, the 2014 winner of the fields medal, and a recent iranian immigrant. this entire process is not only terrible for those excluded - their quality of life would undoubtedly improve through immigration - but also terrible for the us, which is vastly favoured by acting as a drain into which (especially underserved female brains) in these countries can drain into.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Iran is full of brilliant men and women who just want to come to the US where they can contribute their talents and thrive

It is an act of monstrous stupidity

• AbsentAbsent Registered User regular
    It's also part of a broader destruction of the concept of asylum (I live in Switzerland, there the far right UDC party is the most powerful one, thankfully counter-weighted by the sum of the more democratic parties, and the annihilation of the idea of international protection is its oft expressed dream, explicitely and implicitely).

In this case, countries that face most islamist violence are of course the countries which (muslim) inhabitants flee abroad most. The trumpian essentialist logic "they come from countries with islamists, therefore they are islamists" means "you are what you flee from". No asylum seeker would ever be legitimate by this logic. Even at the time where asylum was glamorized (the cold war era with all its welcome dissidents) this logic would have meant "you flee from a stalinist country you are therefore stalin".

So, yeah. Abject at so many levels that we don't know where to start. But I'd start there.

• KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    I think the Women's March thread had a bunch of links for protesting in general, as well as contacting Congressfolk to say what the shit.

As for a name, maybe something like the Salaam March? Take ownership of your culture and faith, and demand that your humanity be recognised.

Good luck.
    I kind of like Salaam March. Short, conveys what's it's about, and salaam's meaning, "peace", is apt.

Do others agree?

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    There's already an Immigrants March taking shape for early March. Not specifically the same thing, but it's the same basic concept of humanity not being the sole province of natural born citizenry.

How the shit does this happen on Holocaust Remembrance Day? It's like they were angling for maximum outrage.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, this thread title is a bit ironic now.

tb8d2tvb1khi.png

• KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1749103615417505/

This is in Portland, Maine. Only 1000 listed as "going" so far, another couple thousand maybes. It was tentatively scheduled for today but now is postponed, organizer says she wants it to happen next weekend (dunno why she switched the thing to "May 1st," probably just a placeholder).

Anyone here in Massachusetts? Know if anyone's talking about something in Boston? I'm going to call Mass's chapter of CAIR (edit - I figure they're likely to know if something's planned) after I pick up a new cheap phone at the store in a few, speaker is broken on mine.

also gonna call Maine People's Alliance, a progressive organization I spent a year working for. Sometimes I find them to be lazy but they'd better be on board with this one.

Kaputa on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Is the ban even technically legal? Like, I don't expect trump to have a problem getting it past the congress that he has and the fact of the matter he's been really liberal with his use of EO's but the fact remains that he appears to be making a decision based on religious beliefs and that directly violates the first amendment.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Crossposting from the Trump thread.

https://www.facebook.com/MicMedia/videos/1324933644196089/

It's a video of Steve Israel talking about what people should be doing in addition to/instead of just writing letters and calling their reps.

Organize yourselves.

Do.

This.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Is the ban even technically legal? Like, I don't expect trump to have a problem getting it past the congress that he has and the fact of the matter he's been really liberal with his use of EO's but the fact remains that he appears to be making a decision based on religious beliefs and that directly violates the first amendment.

This is the frightening part, whether something he does is illegal has no consequence if the breaks in democracy aren't interested in stopping him. That's the biggest problem we've had with Trump, the GOP are fine to let him be unleashed - damn the people who get hurt along the way. I don't know how long it'll take for the country to recover form this, if it can recover.

Harry Dresden on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

It directly violates standing immigration law.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Crossposting from the Trump thread.

https://www.facebook.com/MicMedia/videos/1324933644196089/

It's a video of Steve Israel talking about what people should be doing in addition to/instead of just writing letters and calling their reps.

Organize yourselves.

Do.

This.

I think WhyNotBoth.jpg applies here.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

All the more reason for the dems to stall out confirmation for SCOTUS until at least 2018.

All the more reason for the dems to stall out confirmation for SCOTUS until at least 2018.

We're already in a constitutional crisis and we will not get out of it by letting the hostage takers get their ransom. They have already shot the hostage.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I work with 2 people from Afghanistan who in Dari at lunch were talking about the ban and what now? as they were confused and said if I go back I will probably be killed
    {I only know some Dari so I could only follow some of what they were talking to each other just I knew what one sentence ment :(}

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Okay, so... Crisis mode.

Calls I'm making on Monday!

I live in a suburban area of South Dublin in Ireland, which it turns out is ultra handy for having a shitton of people to annoy about this stuff, since Dublin is Ireland's capital city and all that.

My constituency has 3 TDs (our version of congress members or MPs or whatever.) One is with our current ruling party (Josepha Madigan, Fine Gael), one is Independent but thanks to the crazy, cobbled-together government we have at the moment which you can read all about in the Hiberno-Brittanic politics thread is ALSO our Minister for Transport (Shane Ross) and one is with our Green Party, who were all but obliterated two elections ago for being distinctly ungreenpartyish but have been slowly recovering (Catherine Martin.)

Usefully, Dublin also has 3 MEPs - Members of European Parliament - who have a say in how the EU does things. One is another member of Fine Gael (Brian Hayes) one is yet another Independent (Nessa Childers) and one (Lynn Boylan) is with Sinn Féin and will be top of my list of people to call because if you can't convince someone in Sinn Féin of all parties to stand up to religious persecution then who the fuck CAN you convince because that was LITERALLY their only excuse for ANYTHING they did for years.

Our Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade is a guy by the name of Charles Flanagan, so I'll be calling him and sincerely hoping he will have been fielding many similar calls.

Rather than calling our Taoiseach (Prime Minister) I'll be calling our Tánaiste (Deputy Prime Minister) Frances Fitzgerald because, handily, she is ALSO our Minister for Justice and Equality.

*takes a breath*

I don't know if any of you live in political systems as weirdly convoluted and too-many-cooksish as mine, but I highly recommend putting together a list of people you can hassle because holy fuck does it feel a tiny bit better to at least have some plan to face Monday morning.

Once these calls are done? Sign up with Asylum Seekers Ireland, contact some local Refugee Centres, mention both this fucking ban and Ireland's home grown disgrace of Direct Provisioning every time I talk to anyone with the slightest bit of political and commercial power (work meetings will be fun) and fundraise, protest and volunteer like fuck.

Fucking hell. Two weeks ago I was thinking "I should get a new hobby!"

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I can't even fucking deal with how stupid this is.

Also! One of the Oscar nominees for Best Foreign Language Film - Asghar Farhadi - won't be able to enter the US to take part in the Oscar ceremony.

So expect pretty much EVERYBODY to mention this stupid ban on Oscar night. And his film to win.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Also! One of the Oscar nominees for Best Foreign Language Film - Asghar Farhadi - won't be able to enter the US to take part in the Oscar ceremony.

So expect pretty much EVERYBODY to get played out by the house orchestra when they try to mention this stupid ban on Oscar night. And his film to win.

FTFY. not sure how this will affect his films chance at winning though. depends on when voting closes and how many ballots have already been submitted.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Which, I have absolutely no faith in meaning ANYTHING right now.
    Trump has made the media the opposition party, except for the ones he personally chooses to be the bearer of "legitimate" facts for his administration.

All negative news and opinion about anything team Trump says, does, or even insinuates is, to a not insubstantial portion of the country, cast as nothing but lies.

Not even the long standing, "this isn't real news/not focusing on the right thing/only for ratings" as it was for the last few years. But well and true "this is false".

And given that the Republicans rule the playground right now, they legitimize everything by letting it through with their approval, or simply not opposing it and let it slide.

Democrats can fight all they want, but they are seen as a bunch of sore losers who are just playing a political game.
    The only way I really see forward is to get some Republicans in power (or at least with influence) to see what a complete disaster this is and start speaking (and acting) in the best interests of the goddamn country they are supposed to employed in the service of.

But I don't know how to get there. Yes, funding and supporting organizations to help all the people who are absolutely FUCKED by this administration is important.
    But that's a bandaid over a festering wound,
    How do we actually get things to change for the better, and not just get an occasional push back when the spotlight gets a bit too hot on an issue (that they can just try to push through later on)?

Snatching this from the Trump administration thread.
    Couscous wrote: »
    The government confirms the executive order targets include green card holders who are citizens of those countries.

The government is now banning many legal permanent residents of the USA from leaving the USA and returning. Jesus Christ.

Google, Facebook and PayPal all have European HQs in Dublin. This means any of their green card holding staff born in the "wrong" country who happened to be working in any of these offices last week are now stranded here.

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    This is dreadful for so many reasons.

This will only increase anti-American sentiment in the Middle East. If anything, the risk of terrorist incidents will grow. Unfortunately, when the worst inevitably happens, Trump will blindly see it as justification of his actions and double-down.

America is in a spiral and I don't know the way out.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

It was this attitude, so clever & ahead of its time, that enabled most of the U.S.'s superpower status.

"They don't want you? Come here, then; work for us instead. We'll happily take the extra GDP & surprise innovation,"

It may be worthwhile to tell people that (so long as Trump's administration doesn't entirely wind down the Doomsday Clock), what Trump is doing will probably result in the U.S. ceding its superpower status.

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »

It was this attitude, so clever & ahead of its time, that enabled most of the U.S.'s superpower status.

"They don't want you? Come here, then; work for us instead. We'll happily take the extra GDP & surprise innovation,"

It may be worthwhile to tell people that (so long as Trump's administration doesn't entirely wind down the Doomsday Clock), what Trump is doing will probably result in the U.S. ceding its superpower status.

If they are anything like my parents? They don't care.
    They don't have a clue what that actually means, or what it does for them. They only see us as "spending money on others when we should be taking care of ourselves".

The argument has become a 0 sum one. We are not spending money correctly here, which means we shouldn't be spending money anywhere else. There is no other argument they accept.

Not that it matters.
    If we took care of everything here, the same people would argue, "everything is great here, why give them money? They should be able to do this on their own like we do".

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

It was never entirely true, though. We "tolerated" immigrants in the barest and most literal sense that we let them come (sometimes, not counting the Chinese Exclusion Acts or the practical ban on anyone who wasn't from Western Europe from 1920-1965), but have always heavily put upon them once they were here. It's another part of the American legacy that is aspirational more than real.

Mr Khan wrote: »

It was never entirely true, though. We "tolerated" immigrants in the barest and most literal sense that we let them come (sometimes, not counting the Chinese Exclusion Acts or the practical ban on anyone who wasn't from Western Europe from 1920-1965), but have always heavily put upon them once they were here. It's another part of the American legacy that is aspirational more than real.

While true, they eventually were accepted to some extent.
    The only real issue has been that generally it's been because a new group started coming over and was now the put upon group.

But that kind of behavior being put into law was something we were SUPPOSED to have left behind. The Japanese internment camps were something we, at one point, recognized as a really bad move, just like all the rest of them in our past.

We, as a nation, were moving towards being more accepting... even if that wasn't always a smooth road, and even if some were not willingly walking along it... they were simply set to be left behind as history moved forward.

What's happening now is a backslide of monumental proportions that I don't think anyone was expecting up until Trump won.
    And even his victory, with all his negative and bigoted rhetoric, still had many expecting him to just be all talk.

Yet here we are, facing the President of the United States of America signing EO's that are fitting of an age we had hoped we had put behind us nearly a century ago.

Links and stuff for people who want to help:

In much shittier news, firefighters in Texas are responding to a fire that's engulfed a mosque.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Can we collect specific stories here of well known folks who are being negatively affected, like the Oscar nominee, that highlight the complete idiocy of this in a quickly understood way? I'd like the blast Congress people with those or... Something

God I don't even know what to do though

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    NYT article has a good quote from an Iraqi interpreter for the 101st Airborne: “This not only endangers troops in the future, it endangers troops who are in combat now in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, wherever, “Mr. Friedman said. “If those interpreters and those fixers hear that the United States is not going to protect them, then they don’t have any incentive to work with U.S. troops, and there’s no way that we can operate without their support and assistance.”

e: He's currently detained in an airport.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • AbsentAbsent Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    This is dreadful for so many reasons.

This will only increase anti-American sentiment in the Middle East. If anything, the risk of terrorist incidents will grow. Unfortunately, when the worst inevitably happens, Trump will blindly see it as justification of his actions and double-down.

America is in a spiral and I don't know the way out.

Not just America (the same trend can be observed in Europe), but yes. I'm fascinated by how islamophobes and islamists are on the same page about it. Both agreeing about an inevitable and desirable "war" between christians and muslims, and both hitting hard at whoever refuses to frame the world in those terms. Both working hard at making it a self-fulfilling prophecy, by silencing the "lukewarm", the pacifists, the moderates (in this context, those who don't feel particularly enraged at local or global diversity). Both agreeing to see ISIS as the archetype of islam. Both monsters validating each other, and purifying themselves of all humanity.

As always, the true frontline is between the decent humans, and the people who desire to hate/fight/kill each others. Between those who want to play war (no matter their side), and those who don't. The real stake is the definition of this axis of opposition, that warmongers wish to attach to national or religious flags. In that sense, Trumpists and ISIS have a common project.

It reminds me of the first stages of the genocidary process (up to "polarization"), except symetrical. For the record, I've heard neo-nazi militants (from the greek Golden Dawn) openly, explicitely wish for such a polarization, in order to trigger an open conflict, which, in their eyes, would allow them to "solve" everything through force and violence.

We live in a classroom full of toddlers wishing to fight, and joining against the teachers who try to split and ground them (to protect everybody, and especially the kids who play along fine). Except that the aggressive toddlers are in charge now.

Absent on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    cross posting this news from the Trump Admin thread, cause the consequences of the ban are starting to ramp up at an alarming rate.

retaliation from Iran is not a good sign can i can't see it having any effect other than cause Trump to go even further in his abhorrent policies.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage

Who the fuck do I give money to?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    cross posting this news from the Trump Admin thread, cause the consequences of the ban are starting to ramp up at an alarming rate.

retaliation from Iran is not a good sign can i can't see it having any effect other than cause Trump to go even further in his abhorrent policies.

You know what we haven't had enough of in the last 30 years? War in Middle East.

Fuck everything about this.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    edit: wrong thread. though I guess not by much since the topic of this thread informs the post I just made.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.