As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    so the game is on sale for 5 dollars for the basic bare bones package.

Hows the game developed since launch? I recall there were some complaints about energy or something severely limiting things, and stuff. You guys still enjoying it? Worth bothering to get into ?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Theres currently a server for new and returning players (Those who havent logged in for 3 months I think) that gives you 2x experience. Its a HUGE boost to leveling. I haven't gathered or crafted, but I have trillions of energy extra. I currently have a 50 Musa, 49 Ninja, 45 Berserker, and ive been playing about 2 weeks. I really enjoyed it, and $10 for an mmo without a sub ($5 right now for the sale) is definitely a great price for it.

Give it a shot, if you really like it $5 is a steal, if you dont like it you can still probably get $5 of play time out of it and can come back later if you'd like.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Did they ever make the pvp-at-45 thing optional? That is mostly what killed my interest, I was running trade routes and breeding horses at 44 and didn't feel like getting my shit wrecked randomly at 45. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people.

• Options
    the pvp is at 50, and they removed xp loss if you have positive karma, so its not really worth it to attack random people with how much karma you lose. Still possible of course.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    DID they change the PvP to being at 50? Or are you misreading their question? I recall the moment you hit 45 you could be attacked if someone decided to.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Arthil wrote: »
    DID they change the PvP to being at 50? Or are you misreading their question? I recall the moment you hit 45 you could be attacked if someone decided to.

You level to 49.99999 then get a prompt saying you can no longer gain experience until you complete a quest. When you start the quest it says "WHEN YOU COMPLETE THIS YOU WILL ENABLE PVP".

I literally just did this on my Musa.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    I just leveled my Ninja to 49 to get this screenshot. :p Spoilers for the story mission.
    cSPIxWr.png

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Pocket Satan is so dreamy.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    Pocket Satan is so dreamy.

Look at those teeth!

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What's this playsafecard thing?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Spent 20 minutes trying to come up with a family name that wasn't taken, figuring, you know..that'd be your user name and you can name your characters whatever.

Nope, already spent 30 trying to name a character a name that wasn't already taken. about 2 minutes from just naming it ABCFUCKYOUHERESANAME123

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I think I'll pick this up since I've been wanting a new MMO and how can you beat a $5 buy in with no subscription? I vaguely recall getting a 7 day trial invite from my cousin and I don't remember hating it. Is the 2x XP server thing still going on? One thing I do remember is it being slow goings early on.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    I think I'll pick this up since I've been wanting a new MMO and how can you beat a $5 buy in with no subscription? I vaguely recall getting a 7 day trial invite from my cousin and I don't remember hating it. Is the 2x XP server thing still going on? One thing I do remember is it being slow goings early on.

They removed 'servers' so everyone is just on the NA server, so everyone can play together. The 2x xp channel is still available, and I think they nerfed the leveling regardless. Killing red/purples is super easy right now.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    this game is alarmingly crashy. Had a hard lock and two crashes in about two hours.

• Options
    I have never actually managed to turn it off without a hard lock involved. It crashes if I look at it wrong around a particular city, too.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    EmzedohEmzedoh Registered User regular
    So is there a PA guild active in this game at all? I'm in still in Arcadians, but I don't think I've seen anyone else online since I came back.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was thinking about buying it, but apparently I have to get a card from a physical retailer and use that for store credit?

• Options
    So I was able to keep my character from the trial account after I bought the game. Got my Musa from lvl 4 to 18. I feel... super OP. Like, I don't think I've taken damage yet. I also got a login chest thing for a +9 weapon, which I opened. Did I waste it? Should I have waited? Also, and more importantly, is there a way to shut off that gods damned notification that I can press <tab> to move better? I know I have my weapon out, game. I'm killin' stuff.

Enjoying the hell out of this so far, though.

• Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    So I was able to keep my character from the trial account after I bought the game. Got my Musa from lvl 4 to 18. I feel... super OP. Like, I don't think I've taken damage yet. I also got a login chest thing for a +9 weapon, which I opened. Did I waste it? Should I have waited? Also, and more importantly, is there a way to shut off that gods damned notification that I can press <tab> to move better? I know I have my weapon out, game. I'm killin' stuff.

Enjoying the hell out of this so far, though.

the +9 bares is a very good weapon, but its not nearly end game. It'll definitely last you until the 40s or so, but then you should start saving up and working towards real weapons. And yeah leveling is super fast and easy now. Around mid 30s you start taking damage though, so you will need to upgrade your potions as you go along. Game is very good at being a relaxing grind while leveling. Find a big camp, just go to town, reap the profits.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Eventually you'll get flattened by something and realize that those big swings you've been dancing around can and will wreck your face.

That idiotic tab to move notification I have not managed to kill, yet.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I found a weasel statue home item that says its worth like 4-5k, but the vendor only wants to give me like 100 silver for it. what do?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I found a weasel statue home item that says its worth like 4-5k, but the vendor only wants to give me like 100 silver for it. what do?

There are two values at work when you look at the item tooltips. One is the vendor sale value, and the other, typically much larger one, is the player market value. There might a third in the case of trade goods. Rhose can be bargained over with vendors who's local node doesn't produce the item.

You can list things at the ... Uh. Market lady? Check the npc finder at the top right of your screen, it'll point you to the nearest one.

Many items really do get snapped up for oodles of dosh, even ones you might not expect to sell at all.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    49 tamer, 49 Musa, 49 ninja.

Used all the silver I'd been hoarding back in the day when fishing to buy my Musa and ninja some clothes. Western frontier and Narusawa respectively.

Probably going to uncap my ninja. I liked Musa well enough but it has some weird animations and skill choices that just bug the hell out of me. (Like dragon claw going from a mobility/gap close lunge to a stationary barrage if I just so happen to have full rage when I use it.)

Will probably try to get both to awakening just to see which really tickles my fancy. I kind of don't mind the PvP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Well, yesterday at home it was only offering me the option to use some kind of prepaid card to buy the game, but just now on mobile I could use credit card or PayPal. Odd.

Boughted for 5 beans.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    I've been unable to play this game for 3 days now. Every time I try to play it either crashes, or I load in and all I can do is move my camera around. I cant move, open inventory, or do anything.

Guess one last entry is going on my 2016 regret list..

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    It might be super laggy because everyone is getting a free 7 day trial now and its getting very crowded.

Very hard to move around Heidel with high population and lagsanta.

• Options
    Progress report: I've hit level 45 been grinding away using a guide for spots I found online. I have a +12 Liverto Blade and full +5 Grunil set. Haven't gotten around to accessories yet, which I probably should. What + should my armor be at for this level? Is there even a general range? There's so much I don't know about this game.

• Options
    I'm almost to 52 on my ninja. Holidays messed up my plans a bit. Got my weapon to +11 and my armor all to +9. Pri red coral rings, witch earrings, ancient core belt and doohickey. Progress is being made.

Oh also a pair of t6 horses with good odds on a t7 once I've leveled the second one more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So I was surfing the old Youtubes when I came across a recent video from the TheLazyPeon, who I occasionally watch, about why he returned to BDO.

I thought this was weird since his last video about BDO, IIRC, was about how the game was P2W garbage and doomed (more or less). I figured I'd share the video with those of you who haven't been back to BDO in a long time like myself. Suffice it to say I'm reinstalling the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Be4zgYLU0

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BDO is far from P2W. It has a cash shop, yes. It allows you to sell cash shop items on the market for in game currency. However, the prices are set and the pearl to cash conversion rate is atrocious. You're quite seriously looking at $2500-$3000 to obtain a meaningful advantage. I've yet to see anyone that has done this, and I doubt I will.

• Options
    The only real negative is he's somewhat stretching how easy it is to make money.

• Options
    I've found BDO to be the easiest MMO to make money in out of all the ones I've played. I mean, it doesn't rain from the heavens, but it's not at all uncommon to end a grinding session with 4-5 million in items/ancient relic crystal shards.

• Options
    By comparison he was saying he makes 20m worth per hour.

• Options
    Doing Sausan 20m is doable. That's pretty high level but even below that with a good rotation you can get 8~10m pretty easy without a huge initial investment. The large number of channels means it's usually pretty easy to hop around and find an empty one.

Add into it the house honors thing (I get like 500k silver a day just for logging in) and the login stuff you can sell for profit...

I think I've made about 350m or so in the month I've been back. Admittedly I wasted most of it buying clothing sets for four of my classes, and independently gearing three characters instead of just swapping gear around because I'm lazy...

But I've gotten back about 30m recently after buying my Musa his duo liverto and a pri grunil set. Not really going too hard on it though because I've been swamped with other games

But yeah silver is easy. Even at 50 I was getting about 2m a hour worth of just npc turn in fodder. If I sold any stones and such I could probably hit 5m or theres about as long as I was left alone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah turns out that House Fame thing is retroactive.

When I logged in for the first time after almost a year I had 65 million waiting for me.

Was also happy to see my home was just as I left it. I had assumed it'd have been decommissioned after so long.

Also leveling bonuses for returning folks is nice. Was able to get a fresh character to 30 in about 4-5 hours.

Axen on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah turns out that House Fame thing is retroactive.

When I logged in for the first time after almost a year I had 65 million waiting for me.

Was also happy to see my home was just as I left it. I had assumed it'd have been decommissioned after so long.

Also leveling bonuses for returning folks is nice. Was able to get a fresh character to 30 in about 4-5 hours.

Were you on the XP server? I usually hit 30 in about 45 minutes or so. Murder stuff outside first town to 17 or so, run to the farm just south of heidel and level to 30.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was not as it turns out. Well hot damn that changes things!

• Options
    Man they weren't kidding when they said the ocean was huge. 45 minutes! 45 minutes to sail from the mainland to the new port city.

Love it.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Damnit, I guess I need to give this another shot. Got bored again with WoW and didn't renew my sub in January. Need an MMO fix and I tried hopping back into GW2, but I just don't feel that game anymore.

Maybe this will cure my itch for the time being.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Building a real ship sounds like quite the long term plan for me. Thankfully you get to keep the ship forever unlike the rowboat or sailboat. Though the lifespan on both of those lasts for a really long time and creating new ones isn't a big deal IMHO.

Ocean is big. I mean, like, go fuck yourself big. The world map fully zoomed out isn't enough to see it all. Plenty of shipwrecks and treasures to find. Sea monsters are terrifying. Some of them shoot straight up out of the water from underneath your boat when they attack. Kinda like a Great White going for a seal or something, ugh, probably why I find that terrifying,

The new city of Port Ratt is, eeeeeh. Only the dock area is open to foreigners. Though if you're a trader there is probably some big money to be made importing Oriental goods. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it later on as the landmass it is attached to seems as big as the current play area.

I did explore some of the islands off the coast of Port Ratt and while there wasn't much going on I did discover some neat ass stuff. One island had a lake in it's center complete with shipwrecked otter-pirates. The lake itself had an underwater cave that lead to a network of underwater tunnels that I wasn't able to explore.

If you take the NPC ferry bring a fishing pole. I fished during the journey and sold my catch at the port when I arrived. Made a cool million each way. Plus there isn't anything else to do on the 40-50 minute journey.