As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Radiation wrote: »
    There's an Anti Circumcision protest? Is it part of the pro life thing?

Probably. It's definitely a "thing" in right wing MRA culture.

Yep. It's also frequently spoken of in those circles as the "male equivalent" to female circumcision/mutilation.

[edit].......well that's a hell of a totp.

NightDragon on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    korodullin wrote: »
    I wonder if it's an anti Jew/muslim thing?

No, it's just that a lot of guys nowadays get really hella upset about having been circumcised when they were newborns and had no consent to the matter.

Like most things that eventually slide into heavy MRA-territory, there are salient points on the matter that should be addressed, but it tends to devolve into crazy town (including some anti-Jew/muslim stuff) the further along you go from "Yeah, it sucks and I wish it hadn't been done without my consent."

Yup

Psykoma on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    There's an Anti Circumcision protest? Is it part of the pro life thing?

Probably. It's definitely a "thing" in right wing MRA culture.

Yep. It's also frequently spoken of in those circles as the "male equivalent" to female circumcision/mutilation.

[edit].......well that's a hell of a totp.

Yeah to make them even close to equivalent you'd have to give the dude a partial penectomy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I must admit I find it very very unusual, and I also feel that if someone cannot consent then it shouldn't happen - I was quite shocked to find its a so very common practice.

edited January 2017
    Hospitals don't like to admit the frequency of failure too. Usually it's innoccus, scar tissue. Sometimes they damage it enough it needs to be amputated or the child dies. It's something like 100-200 injuries/deaths a year. Low, but still too high for my comfort in an elective surgery.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I must admit I find it very very unusual, and I also feel that if someone cannot consent then it shouldn't happen - I was quite shocked to find its a so very common practice.

It's very weird and the practice was popularized by a weirdo who thought doing it would prevent premarital sex by desensitizing the penis.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

It's very weird and the practice was popularized by a weirdo who thought doing it would prevent premarital sex by desensitizing the penis.

also prevent boys from masturbating

VRXwDW7.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

also prevent boys from masturbating

The point is the penis is for urinating and begrudgingly making babies and nothing else ever!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Considering that they fucked up my circumcision the least they could have done for me would be remove the dang thing entirely >.>

It's a real dumb practice but it's not even close to comparable to FGM. It would be very nice if it stopped being the default in the US/Canada, though.

Rainfall wrote: »
    Considering that they fucked up my circumcision the least they could have done for me would be remove the dang thing entirely >.>

It's a real dumb practice but it's not even close to comparable to FGM. It would be very nice if it stopped being the default in the US/Canada, though.

They did this once and it did not go over well.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »

They did this once and it did not go over well.

Yeah not a serious suggestion. But I'd be appreciative? My parents would likely have thrown a fit or five, though.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm very glad I wasn't circumcised.

That skin is fuckin useful in SRS.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Start my mew second job tomorrow night.

It would be wonderful if I didn't have to do this anymore.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I never learned that every male was not circumcised until my late teens.

Had the side effect of not understanding Lister's cursing on pbs until I was in my mid 20's. Actually needed hentai to clue me into the connection.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I've had the week off work to visit Wyborn's family.

In that amount of time a record number of volunteers have flaked on their shifts. Also, apparently conditions got so bad for a coworker that they resigned?

Meaning of our three two-person locations there is one with no staff (the other person in the same place as resigner is on health leave). And my three remaining coworkers are stretched hella thin.

Can't wait to get back in :rotate:

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hi work thread!

I'm currently at the point where I'm coming to terms with the fact that my job is soul-draining and joyless, the culture is cold and borderline toxic, and that I can barely stand 99.9% of my colleagues.

I really need to get out, for my own mental health. I know for a fact that I no longer want anything to do with what I currently do (risk management/paralegal).

But hoo boy, do I have absolutely no freakin' idea of what I want to do instead, and that fact is sure putting a big old dampener on my motivation.

This is going to be a fun year.

The safety sector is swinging HARD towards risk management in an attempt to become less reactive in nature. If you can train into a safety advisor position there is well-paid work to be found in heavy industry.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hmm, sore throat. I really hope that doesn't turn into something, I need to drive up north again tomorrow for an interview on Monday.

Gonna probably order some wor wonton soup for dinner. In the meantime it's tea with honey.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I haven't been at work today, but I have been at the oil change place for nine hours. I'm getting kind of nervous that they won't actually be able to put my car back together before closing.

I hate unexpected repairs so much. It feels like getting mugged by your own car. Although it usually doesn't fuck my day off this profoundly, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nine hours? What the shit?

The book is a good read but he changed voices so much, from narrator to social commentary.

Also took a fucking chapter to explain this was a different U.S.. Children working at a brickyard was a big clue but....arghhh.

There has been some nightmare Russian nesting doll of Problems With Gaskets.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    We have alligator lizards at work. Those suckers are fast.

This seems redundant. Like parrot birds or cow hamburgers.

5gsowHm.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    We have alligator lizards at work. Those suckers are fast.

This seems redundant. Like parrot birds or cow hamburgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xedn8l4FY

Fast and not afraid to attack the hand of someone trying to catch them. I still try though.

When they catch something in their mouth they try to do a death roll to snap the neck of the "prey."

Ten hours after I left the house, Lil' Zuki and I have returned safe from our routine oil change. I am enjoying a hamburger sandwich and a beer, while Zuki keeps all of its oil inside for a change.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    still like my new workplace
    there's more attitude but also everyone helps out and does their damned job, so I couldn't care less
    also first paycheck in this position came the same day as my tax return
    it's nice to make real headway on my plan to move the heck out

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Normally the tour I give at night is two hours, as it takes that long to pass by the sites we cover at a sane speed while stopping by some to give people ample chance for photos. Sometimes people will ask about some building I don't cover so the usual timings get shifted, and usually I have a good driver who will slow down so people can see what I'm talking about
    The driver I got tonight drove like a bat out of hell so the two hour tour was maybe an hour and fifteen minutes. Many turns with guests dropping things in the g forces, me desperate not to fall over, and barely time for naming each site and one brief amusing factoid before we pass two others. Lots of hitting full gas at a green light only to grind the brakes at the next red light.

I am amazed at the stunts people think they can pull off with double decker buses.

VRXwDW7.png
    Jedoc wrote: »

What was the final diagnosis and solution?

edited January 2017

What was the final diagnosis and solution?

The problem they went in to solve was to fix the gaskets at the top of the engine that stop it from burping up oil as I drive down the highway, like a percolator with a loose lid. Anyway, it required them taking off the carburetor and going down to where the spark plugs live and very carefully cleaning the oil off everything and seating a new gasket. Or, wait. Two gaskets, one on each side. I think.

The problem that required them to repeat the process six times was...a bad vacuum hose? That they couldn't find? Apparently there's a lot of hoses down there, and one of them was not doing its job, and they kept picking the wrong hose and having to start over.

Anyway, if I drive it for a week and there's no oil barfed down the front of the engine, apparently it's fixed. Also, they only charged me for the original 2-3 hours of estimated labor, which I thought was mighty decent of them, since I think I tied up between one and four of their guys for their entire business hours on a Saturday.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    Rocker cover gaskets are usually an easy fix on older engines, yeah. And chasing vacuum leaks is a real SOB of a job! My usual method is "you have a vacuum leak? Time to replace ALL the vacuum lines!" That way you tear everything apart once only, because vacuum hose is cheap enough that pulling most of the shit off the top half of the engine more than once makes the job an instant loss-maker. I can understand why tried just replacing the hose they thought was the bad one the first time, but after that they were chasing their own tails.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Agree SO HARD on vacuum lines. Urrrgh. My wifes old Integra was a rat's nest of vacuum lines.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the mechanic replaced the fuel filter with a vac line?
    IMG_20160218_104818_zpszp3r8udb.jpg

Rocker cover gaskets are usually an easy fix on older engines, yeah. And chasing vacuum leaks is a real SOB of a job! My usual method is "you have a vacuum leak? Time to replace ALL the vacuum lines!" That way you tear everything apart once only, because vacuum hose is cheap enough that pulling most of the shit off the top half of the engine more than once makes the job an instant loss-maker. I can understand why tried just replacing the hose they thought was the bad one the first time, but after that they were chasing their own tails.

Yeah, I think if they had it to do over again they'd have just ripped out every hose they could see.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    I hate conferences that start on Monday because I don't want to travel on Sunday. At the rate this year might go, I think I'm just going to repack the suitcase after this trip.

I don't want to really go to this one, but it's either me or the incompetent and I prefer he not interact with potential customers.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    #2 is currently stuck in Dubai customs as thousands of people freak the fuck out.

My bank account is surprisingly full, but then I remember that I got that sweat check back from progressive.

I should try to find a better job.

Can you pay down next year's taxes? That is after I file for this year's.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    #2 is currently stuck in Dubai customs as thousands of people freak the fuck out.

My bank account is surprisingly full, but then I remember that I got that sweat check back from progressive.

You can, I think. I remember when I filed mine that you can put the refund (assuming you qualify for one) towards next year.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    This is probably a long shot, but if anyone here works in butchery, please @ or PM me.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    This is probably a long shot, but if anyone here works in butchery, please @ or PM me.

... did you kill your boss and need to cover up the evidence?

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
    Sorce wrote: »

You can, I think. I remember when I filed mine that you can put the refund (assuming you qualify for one) towards next year.

There are ways, but if your employer is witholding taxes for you there's usually very little benefit in doing so. Paying $100 of next year's tax today will cost you the same as paying $100 of next year's tax next year. You're pretty much just giving the government an interest-free loan for a year. In that case, you're better off putting the money toward any debt you owe, starting with credit cards, so you don't pay interest on that debt for another year.

If you're working as a contractor and no employer is withholding for you, then I'm afraid you need to acquaint yourself with the joys of estimated quarterly taxes, or else you're getting hosed with penalties every year, and paying way more taxes than you should. Basically, you need to calculate your own tax bill ahead of time, and if it's more than $1000 you need to make payments on it every three months or the IRS will bite you twice.

If you simply want to get the money in a safe place where it can't be eaten up by family emergencies, you can always buy a 1-year treasury note in the amount of next year's estimated tax bill. Interest rates are still garbage, but it's one of the only options where you're making a little money instead of losing it or breaking even.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Not sure if this applies to anyone here, but I just saw this

Yeah, I think if they had it to do over again they'd have just ripped out every hose they could see.

They're generally all the same type of hose and of the same age, so when one starts to dry out and crack or rot, you know the rest are close to death too. It can be real fucking difficult to sell people on preventative maintenance though, so a lot of places don't even try. Except dealerships! They like to try to wring every possible cent out of you - "your brake pads are almost worn out" fuck off I fitted them myself last week, they're basically brand new, gimme my car I am leaving right now and never coming back.

This discussion has been closed.