As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vegan Restaurants in/around Boston

coldycoldy Registered User regular
My wife and I made the decision this past year to become vegans for environmental reasons. Having traveled from Montreal to PAX many times since its inception I'm well aware of the plethora of great restaurants for carnivores; it was a tradition for us to walk over to Sam LaGrassa's every Friday for lunch.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations of vegan focused restaurants that are worth checking out (or is the city not there yet)?

Cheers!

• Options
    casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    None of these are in the immediate area (I don't make it downtown much), but if you're willing to travel a bit:

Taco Party (Somerville, yummy tacos and tortas)
    Red Lentil (Watertown, more of a sit-down entree place)
    My Thai (Chinatown, probably the closest to the PAX area, really delicious asian food)
    Whole Heart Provisions (Allston, healthy grain and veggie bowls)
    Veggie Galaxy (Cambridge, diner style food)

• Options
    divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    None of these are in the immediate area (I don't make it downtown much), but if you're willing to travel a bit:

Taco Party (Somerville, yummy tacos and tortas)
    Red Lentil (Watertown, more of a sit-down entree place)
    My Thai (Chinatown, probably the closest to the PAX area, really delicious asian food)
    Whole Heart Provisions (Allston, healthy grain and veggie bowls)
    Veggie Galaxy (Cambridge, diner style food)

Can second Veggie Galaxy. It's my Mystery Hunt go to post game eat spot.

• Options
    craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There's also Life Alive in Cambridge (I love their Lowell location they have awesome bowls!) lifealive.com/
    Don't forget Clover which has food trucks and stores too. https://cloverfoodlab.com/locations/

Can also Third Veggie Galaxy. While i'm not vegetarian or vegan, my boyfriend's brother and his girlfriend are. Veggie galaxy is one of the places we frequent when we are in the Boston area since we can all eat there.

craiola on
    DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    Gamul1Gamul1 Registered User regular
    There is a sweet green near the convention that is well rated. My wife and I ate there a couple months ago:
    http://www.sweetgreen.com/menu/

Also a couple of Freshii's nearby that are well rated:
    https://www.freshii.com/ca/menu

Also nearby but starting to be a bit more of a walk:
    http://mythaivegancafe.com/

http://cuongsvegan.com/

• Options
    eilonwyeilonwy Registered User regular
    Seconded Red Lentil and Veggie Galaxy. Veggie Galaxy has a diner-type feel and is very easy to get to from PAX since it is on the red line.

• Options
    FwoohFwooh Registered User new member
    I will also have to say Veggie Galaxy is awesome! My Thai is pretty great too (best hot n sour soup ever!). My boyfriend and I usually stay at the Park Plaza so its a very quick walk from there...and honestly I don't think its that far from the convention center.

• Options
    It seems we will definitely need to check out Veggie Galaxy.

Thanks for taking the time to offer up these great suggestions!

• Options
    eilonwyeilonwy Registered User regular
    Adding more:

Grasshopper
    - Vegan Asian food
    FoMu - Faux ice cream next door to Grasshopper

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    For during the convention itself, the Sweetgreen and My Thai Cafe @Gamul1 mentioned are your best bets (My Thai's carrot cake is a hidden treasure in Boston).
    Clover Food Lab is fairly popular for vegetarian and can go vegan on request. There's one in the Financial District.
    There's also a new place - Cuong's Vegan - in Chinatown that I've heard good things about but haven't tried myself yet.

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    There are also food trucks that may or may not be near the convention center. Bon Me serves a number of dishes that are or can be made vegetarian or vegan (I believe) and they're a pretty large group. Taco party is indeed a good option, they also have (had?) a food truck.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I've had some really good meals at My Thai when I'm in town for PAX so I would definitely recommend it.

Anyone interested in a vegan meetup one night for dinner? Or maybe we can just get some Daiya and veggie pizzas delivered to the Westin for game night?

randy_wrecked on
    Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • Options
    graphicpirategraphicpirate Registered User regular
    I am a vegan and all of these are good choices. Veggie Galaxy being one of the best as long as your not looking for healthy vegan lol its greasy diner food and its SOOOOO good. One food truck that showed last year was The Chubby Chickpea, and they have a few vegan choices if you like middle eastern food. You can also get lucky at a wholefoods. Also ask for a few take out menu's from your hotel and most of the Chinese food places in the area have vegan and veggie options available. Papagayo in downtown Boston has a few nice options as well. I have to say there are a ton of places in Boston now that are not exclusively vegan but are upping their menu options to include vegan items. Most places sell a veggie burger that 99% of the time is vegan depending on the place. These are all some ideas if you don't want to travel too far from the Con. Some of the other places like Red Lentil and Grasshopper are a bit further away, they are however AMAZING food wise.

• Options
    coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    By Chloe is opening in the Seaport today.

I would highly recommend it.

VEIYCZd.png
  • Options
    If you like beer, and are a vegan, Five Horses in Somerville is amazing. Probably my favorite restaurant in Boston.

VEIYCZd.png
  • Options
    coflropter wrote: »
    If you like beer, and are a vegan, Five Horses in Somerville is amazing. Probably my favorite restaurant in Boston.

Glad you brought them up. My group is actually staying about a block from Five Horses Tavern - South End. You made me more excited to go check it out!

Also, By Chloe looks great and its the closest one to the BCEC. w00t

Great suggestions! Thanks!

• Options
    graphicpirategraphicpirate Registered User regular
    WHOA, just checked out the By Chloe menu. Nice FIND! Thanks for posting that!

• Options
    WHOA, just checked out the By Chloe menu. Nice FIND! Thanks for posting that!

The Pesto Meatball sub is to die for.

VEIYCZd.png