As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Took down the MvM boss (first encounter, I assume he'll be back) with little fuss. I can see a four person group just tearing him apart.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    We've reached the point in MvM where the next mission requires us to open the ominous boss box so I had a peek.

Quite apart from the wonders within, the box has a frigging magnetic clasp! Such unnecessary decadent luxury!

I'm honestly kind of pissed at the box structure of MvM. At least half of the cost of the game was those super formed trays and boxes and if they ever make an expansion they all go in the trash to fit everything in the main box.

The whole package is a thing of beauty. Marring it to leave extra empty space for a hypothetical expansion would be crazy.

Nah, it's just overproduced and dumb.

'Legendarily Overproduced' is like the second bullet in its list of selling points, after 'Co-op Robo Rally'.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh sweet, White Wizard just announced they're going to be starting a KS for a digital version of Epic on Monday.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    In a moment of weakness I bought scythe and its expansion.

This... Is a beast of a game. And I don't even have all the parts yet! It looks like I have quite a few promo cards to track down, as well as the board extension. Then there is sleeving it and organizing it...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Just got my Gloomhaven shipping notification, estimated arrival Monday. Awwwww jeah.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Just got my Gloomhaven shipping notification, estimated arrival Monday. Awwwww jeah.

Alas, I can only awesome this post but a single time.
    I'm hoping the retailers get theirs soon and are able to start shipping!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I was backer 247 and I still haven't gotten mine :(

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
      I hope my flgs gets it in soon. They're holding it for me.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      How much, if any, was Kickstarter exclusive? If I pick this up at retail is it the same?

Every time it comes up I rethink if I should get it. Looks fun.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      From what I recall, the only difference is KS versions have a little Thank You leaflet included (and had an option for a cheaper standee instead of/with the miniatures).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options
      OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
      Anyone try Captain Sonar? It's on my radar.

makosig.jpg
    • Options
      OtakuD00D wrote: »

What you did there, I see it.

And I personally haven't, but it's come up many times in the thread to mostly positive and good remarks.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      I've got it, and it's been a big hit the few times I've played.

My wife even asks to play a lot and she doesn't usually ask to play board games that often.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Athenor wrote: »
      In a moment of weakness I bought scythe and its expansion.

This... Is a beast of a game. And I don't even have all the parts yet! It looks like I have quite a few promo cards to track down, as well as the board extension. Then there is sleeving it and organizing it...

Board extension completely not necessary. If it even fits on your table.

• Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Auction over, goodbye Dyce and Dyne! You shall be missed.

Got good copies of Samurai Spirit, Alhambra, and a second core set of Doomtown for a converted savings of $40.

• Options
      JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
      edited January 2017
      Hey folks. I usually hang around the painting thread but a guy had a copy of Mechs vs Minions at the local store and man I had to get it. Got delivered and I'm curious if I'm just being a bit pernickety or what. Looks like someone dropped the box. The trays inside are also cracked.

I don't want to come off like an ass if this is just par for the course. But it's all presented really lovely apart from this! We had a blast giving the tutorial a go last night.

Are support likely to sort this out you reckon?
      TybjJ4b.jpg
      UShNZIe.jpg
      Hes3TqH.jpg
      aocwBIn.jpg
      LDhxDl7.jpg

J on
    • Options
      J wrote: »
      Hey folks. I usually hang around the painting thread but a guy had a copy of Mechs vs Minions at the local store and man I had to get it. Got delivered and I'm curious if I'm just being a bit pernickety or what. Looks like someone dropped the box. The trays inside are also cracked.

I don't want to come off like an ass if this is just par for the course. But it's all presented really lovely apart from this! We had a blast giving the tutorial a go last night.

TybjJ4b.jpg
      UShNZIe.jpg
      Hes3TqH.jpg
      aocwBIn.jpg
      LDhxDl7.jpg

That would definitely annoy my OCD with board games

• Options
        PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
        If you paid full price for a super overproduced game and some of the components are cracked I think you're fully justified in seeking a refund or exchange.

Personally it wouldn't bother me at all as it's not the playable pieces but in general something with damaged packaging should be a floor model or something and discounted.

If you are in fact being unusually picky, then they should have no trouble selling that copy to someone else and how does it hurt them to give you an exchange?

sig.gif
      • Options
        DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
        J wrote: »

TybjJ4b.jpg
        UShNZIe.jpg
        Hes3TqH.jpg
        aocwBIn.jpg
        LDhxDl7.jpg

I don't know how much you paid but if it was more than 80 dollars, I would definitely expect a premium product.

steam_sig.png
      • Options
        Where did you buy it from? Definitely warrants refund/replacement though. If you buy new you should expect undamaged product.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • Options
        JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
        edited January 2017
        Ah, sorry for the confusion. I bought it direct from Riot Games EU store, not a re-seller or anything. I've fired them the pictures and asked what they can do.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me being a crazy person. Shall see what they say I guess. :)

J on
      • Options
        From everything I've heard about the way they're treating this project I'm confident they'll do right by you.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • Options
        CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
        edited January 2017
        Edit: NM, I read the rulebook and figured out how objectives work.

Pandemic Legacy March update:
        Misunderstanding the objectives rule might have handed us a false win in March. We ignored the mandatory objective and thought we just had to do the two new objectives. We started with 5 yellow cards right off the bat, so my wife as the Reaser her gave me three and on my first turn I cured yellow out of Atlanta. Moved to Mexico City and then LA to eradicate yellow on my first turn. So since we didn't think cures were needed, we spread out to lock down black in quarantine and get red in check. We suffered one outbreak in an area with no previous ones, but managed to get the military bases installed in all regions with a few tense moments. Even though we didn't go for cures, we had well enough cards that we could have done it a lot quicker than building those military bases.

Now we're at zero funding and we chose a permanent military base in Manila and the character upgrade to quarantine cities adjacted to military bases. That should come in handy in the black zone.

Anyone else find the wording on the March mission briefing to be confusing? "From now on, whenever you see these circles, open and resolve them, one at a time". Why didn't they just use the wording from prior months that simply said "Open and resolve, one at a time"?

Now, on to April!

CaptainPeacock on
        Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
      • Options
        Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
        OtakuD00D wrote: »

I wrote a review here.

In short, it's pretty neat. Even at smaller player counts.

• Options
        JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
        @CaptainPeacock
        Responding generally so I don't have to spoiler it. The following is all from the basic rules in the manual.

Each month, the stars on the board tell you how many objectives you must complete to win. You win as soon as you have that many complete.

If an objective is marked as "mandatory," you must complete it to win. This counts as one of the objectives you must complete; it is just required to be one of them.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      • Options
        CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
        JonBob wrote: »
        @CaptainPeacock
        Responding generally so I don't have to spoiler it. The following is all from the basic rules in the manual.

Each month, the stars on the board tell you how many objectives you must complete to win. You win as soon as you have that many complete.

If an objective is marked as "mandatory," you must complete it to win. This counts as one of the objectives you must complete; it is just required to be one of them.

Yep, found that in the manual just after posting. My confusion was regarding the significance of the stars on the board. Now I understand it quite clearly. Thanks!

• Options
        Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »

I'm backer 66 and haven't either but I think Isaac confirmed that while he was originally going to send orders to Amazon in roughly backer order, he actually didn't.

• Options
        AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
        My notification for Gloomhaven showed up this morning.

Some guy is presumably fulfilling busily away between smoke breaks and Facebook posts.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

I'm backer 66 and haven't either but I think Isaac confirmed that while he was originally going to send orders to Amazon in roughly backer order, he actually didn't.

Sad face

• Options
          Have Kickstarters ever fulfilled in backer order? I feel like I've never seen one done in order.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
        • Options
          RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
          I feel a little bad now because my backer # for Gloomhaven is very late, but this is probably cosmic karma for me getting my Vive weeks late even though I was a 3rd minute preorder.

• Options
          Just picked up Jaipur at a local toy store for $24 . Was just sitting there on the shelf, alone, behind a few popular junk titles. I had to rescue it.

• Options
          BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
          edited January 2017
          I have downloaded the original Sherlock Holmes newspapers for the case that stumped us and yep there's the
          actress we had no way of finding mentioned in the entertainments section. Edited out of the Ystari edition.

What an abysmal job of publishing Ystari managed. Hopefully the new expansions won't be this badly proof-read.

Disappointingly, Mythos Tales, which I got excited about as it was billed as Consulting Detective meets Lovecraft, apparently has a bunch of errors as well, and doesn't even have the excuse of being a translation. In a game where errors of this kind essentially make it unplayable, it's astonishing that more care wasn't taken.

Bogart on
        • Options
          edited January 2017
          Auralynx wrote: »

Some guy is presumably fulfilling busily away between smoke breaks and Facebook posts.

and, according to some posts, removing them from their shipping boxes and attaching the label directly to the game, then dumping it in the mail.

Lots of games have been showing up with all the corners smashed and split. Isaac is pretty furious.

STILL no shipping notice and I'm in the city that one group is being sent out from.
          ArcSyn wrote: »
          Have Kickstarters ever fulfilled in backer order? I feel like I've never seen one done in order.

I've never seen one. Isaac said he was going to upload orders to Amazon in roughly backer order then didn't when he found he could just upload them all at once, including the late pre-orders after the KS ended.

Magic Pink on
        • Options

and, according to some posts, removing them from their shipping boxes and attaching the label directly to the game, then dumping it in the mail.

Lots of games have been showing up with all the corners smashed and split. Isaac is pretty furious.

STILL no shipping notice and I'm in the city that one group is being sent out from.

I've never seen one. Isaac said he was going to upload orders to Amazon in roughly backer order then didn't when he found he could just upload them all at once, including the late pre-orders after the KS ended.

Maybe being in the delayed group is a good thing

• Options

Lots of games have been showing up with all the corners smashed and split. Isaac is pretty furious

That's gotta be infuriating if you've run a successful Kickstarter and then the third party shipper which should be competent goes and destroys them. I would have hoped amazon could manage better than ship naked.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
          • Options

Lots of games have been showing up with all the corners smashed and split. Isaac is pretty furious

That's gotta be infuriating if you've run a successful Kickstarter and then the third party shipper which should be competent goes and destroys them. I would have hoped amazon could manage better than ship naked.

Plus, Isaac had all the games packed at the manufacturer in boxes with lots of packing material. They were supposed to put those boxes in separate boxes and mail them out and DID for most early orders. Super simple. The fact they aren't putting them in a box, as Amazon literally always does, but removing them from ones they're already in is pretty mindbogglingly stupid.

• Options
            UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
            My Gloomhaven arrived yesterday (much to my surprise, since the notice said to expect it Monday; but since Amazon fulfilled, I do tend to get Sunday packages from them). Fortunately no damage at all. This thing is monstrous! I ordered standee version + miniatures; my plan is to use standees while waiting to get the mini's painted.

I spent most of the afternoon sorting things. Right now I have a bag for monsters, a bag for tile overlays, and then a few bags for hp, xp/gold, status, and other trackers. The cards are all in the tray, but I am not sure what I'll do to separate the items, etc, available in the campaign.

I'll probably do a solo test-run of the first mission to get those rules down in preparation for starting the campaign for-reals when I can get my gaming group together. Due to the theme (a bunch of mercenaries passing through with their own goals), I won't feel bad about playing some scenario's solo, but I figure to kick things off it'll be nice to have the whole group involved.

• Options
            I hate you
            Not really. Just jealous

• Options
              UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular

Plus, Isaac had all the games packed at the manufacturer in boxes with lots of packing material. They were supposed to put those boxes in separate boxes and mail them out and DID for most early orders. Super simple. The fact they aren't putting them in a box, as Amazon literally always does, but removing them from ones they're already in is pretty mindbogglingly stupid.

That is pretty crazy :( Mine was a box within a box within a box. Gloomhaven was nestled in a box and surrounded by foam on all sides. That box and the miniatures box were then packed within another box. Maybe having standee + miniatures helped? I'd be pretty furious if I were Isaac and they are opening and repackaging...

• Options
              Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
              Amazon have started just sticking shipping labels on primary packaging in quite a few cases. In one of these threads somebody posted a photo in disbelief at the fact that this had been done with a boardgame they ordered (which was of course crushed in transit)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule