As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Scott Kurtz is leaving Acquisitions Inc

LilyMeLilyMe Registered User new member
edited January 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub
pvponline.com

Honestly, I'm kind of unhappy about this. I love AI and I don't want to see it change. I love the dynamic between these four. Just needed to vent.

Edit: fixed the link

LilyMe on

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Where do we rant about your link? :)

dennis on
  • Options
    DirkMaximusDirkMaximus Registered User regular
    It's too bad. I wonder why he felt like he couldn't do both Acq Inc and his spinoff.

But now maybe the door is open for Wil to come back for a game.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I don't see Will coming back, although I would like to see it. I will miss Scott but i'm excited to see his spinoff, will be interesting to see who they bring in, maybe this gives them a chance to bring Morgan back, I liked what she added to the dynamic. I guess we will know soon enough because of the game at South.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Well I'm sure Scott's doing what's best for him, I'm just excited that they'll need to bring a new player/tank/trap Roomba into the group. This will make the next Acq Inc games even more exciting. I'm hoping we see Coach Carl Two Coins Three Coins aka Kris Straub on stage again. He was awesome in the dark sun podcast series.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    I had just sent in a question regarding Kris and his inclusion in Acq Inc. for the PAX question thing. Then I saw this, so maybe my question is answered? If not Kris how about Liam O'Brien or Mathew Mercer?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    In the end all we want is the varying roleplaying podcasts to be a big incestuous mass of players, any subset of which is playing some game at all times.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wow, i didn't realize it was possible for humans to make threads in this forum.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    What? Noooooo! I'll miss Mike and him joking back and forth. Them cracking each other up is definitely one of the best parts of AI. Not that everyone doesn't get a good joke in here and there, but they seemed to specifically be trying to make each other laugh a lot, and that's fun to watch. That being said, I'm happy he's not spreading himself too thin and forcing himself to do AI if he doesn't want to or doesn't feel like he has enough time. Good for him, and I'll have to check out his spinoff at some point. Sounds interesting.

Also, here's a link directly to the post (in case something else ends up on the front page of PvP while this is still an active thread) :

http://pvponline.com/news/binwins-minions

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Does this mean no more AI Blams?

D:

• Options
    DirkMaximusDirkMaximus Registered User regular
    Does this mean no more AI Blams?

D:

I don't think those are Blams. I think they are Kris Straubs.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah to the best of my knowledge those are all Kris

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's possible it's a matter of spreading himself too thin, but it could also be possible that a little bit of it is that he's not reaping quite the same rewards from it as Mike and Jerry. He gets merch and the spinoffs and such, but acq inc takes place at PA's convention, and the videos/podcasts are a PA collab with WOTC (right?). And those Acq Inc videos on PA's website generate ad revenue which goes to who?

I mean, I obviously don't know how all of that is handled and they probably have worked out something they thought was fair up to this point, but it's possible that Kurtz just wants to put that time and energy into working his own brand and projects and/or feels like he will get better returns (both monetary and/or non-monetary) on allocating his time that way.

This is especially true as Jerry has hinted they want to start doing more with Acq Inc in 2017---"the year of acq inc" I believe were his words---and while Kurtz may have been cool with the very occasional schedule up to this point, he may have checked out when Acq Inc was about to become more of a commitment. Not like in a way where there was any ill will, but he just may have felt it would be taking him away from his own work too much, and that's fine.

I'd like to see Straub get in there. He was great in the rap battle and in the dark sun campaign. (I am hoping for more dark sun in 2017 as well.)

Pat has worked out great, so I am always cool with more Pat. But if Acq Inc. becomes a more frequent thing in 2017, I wonder what that will mean for Pat as well. Motherfucker has a book to write.

*narrows eyes at Pat*

I wonder if we are about to see an aggressive churn of guest interns. This is my suspicion!

WordLust on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I just found out about the holiday special today, so, this is going to be a busy night!

While it's sad to see him go, it always felt like he never really cared too much for it in general. Acq Inq is my favorite thing from the PA guys so I hope this keeps going and they find someone new to bring in.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    I just found out about the holiday special today, so, this is going to be a busy night!

While it's sad to see him go, it always felt like he never really cared too much for it in general. Acq Inq is my favorite thing from the PA guys so I hope this keeps going and they find someone new to bring in.

He seemed more into it in the early days, but yeah, I agree he has seemed a little noncommittal about it in some recent acq inc events. A little on the "I'm just here so I don't get sued" side, you might say.

Or maybe it just seems that way because he's playing a fighter and Jerry/Pat tend to kinda dominate the conversation in terms of story and planning and negotiating and etc a lot of the time. He doesn't really have much to do unless a fight starts.

It is sad to see him go, though. I love having that Kurtz humor at the table.

WordLust on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    I agree with most that it's likely so Scott can promote his own stuff, which is totally cool.

Per Jerry's news post it looks like whoever had Morgan Webb wins the pool
    Tycho wrote:
    You know what else is at PAX South? The Southern Debut of Acquisitions Incorporated - featuring the return of the elven archer Morgaen. We have relied on her in the past, and she answered the call.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I looked up Morgan Webb on Wikipedia and it's like, puzzling?
    Webb was born on October 5, 1978.[1] Her birthplace has been reported as Toronto, Ontario,[1] but some seem to think she was born in the U.S.[14][15] During the 2011 Comic-Con, Webb was asked what she missed about Canada. She answered, "I was born and raised in the United States."[16] Despite saying this, during Morgan Webb's first television appearance on TechTV, Morgan says she is Canadian and proceeds to teach about Canada.[17]

Wikipedia's trying to gaslight her, or something?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I choose to think of this less as Biwin 'leaving' and more him getting his own show.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I know they have talked about wanting Morgan coming back in the past so glad to see her. Her chemistry with the group was good in the past and I think that's always a concern with someone new.

• Options
    There was that one awkward moment where Chris Perkins said something flirty to her (I think in character as an NPC) in front of one of the live games and Jerry was like, "Chris, no, nope". I forget what the actual comment was.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I remember that, it was a little weird, but D&D gets like that sometimes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    haaayeshaaayes Sheffield, UKRegistered User new member
    Bursar wrote: »
    In the end all we want is the varying roleplaying podcasts to be a big incestuous mass of players, any subset of which is playing some game at all times.

I'd consume the fuck out of that content

half%20banner.png
  • Options
    LilyMeLilyMe Registered User new member
    WordLust wrote: »
    There was that one awkward moment where Chris Perkins said something flirty to her (I think in character as an NPC) in front of one of the live games and Jerry was like, "Chris, no, nope". I forget what the actual comment was.

It was when he was speaking as Brath, the leader of the dragon cult. He offered to go walking with Morgaen around the city and she called him brash to which Chris/Brath replied, "Well I'm brash in bed."

youtu.be/zFTmmZaD9GI?t=1h6m8s

• Options
    LilyMe wrote: »

It was when he was speaking as Brath, the leader of the dragon cult. He offered to go walking with Morgaen around the city and she called him brash to which Chris/Brath replied, "Well I'm brash in bed."

youtu.be/zFTmmZaD9GI?t=1h6m8s

*wince*

• Options
    Maybe y'all have accidentally made a joke that didn't land once too. It's not something we need to pore over at length.

• Options
    Jerry seems to say about 10 or 11 minutes into this Twitch stream that Scott wishes to focus on Table Titans and Binwin's own stuff this year

https://www.twitch.tv/pennyarcade/v/108580030

• Options
    Jerry seems to say about 10 or 11 minutes into this Twitch stream that Scott wishes to focus on Table Titans and Binwin's own stuff this year

Totally respect that, and he is making a game which is super cool. Will miss him and Mike basically just trying to make each other laugh though.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Maybe y'all have accidentally made a joke that didn't land once too. It's not something we need to pore over at length.

"Once"?

*sigh*

Yeah... yeah. Once...

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Both of those things are also great, so... yeah, more of them is good.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm kind of envisioning Lemmings but with a lot more violence.

• Options
    DomovoiDomovoi Registered User regular
    That's too bad. Him and Mike making each other laugh resulted in so many great moments. Alas.

Incidentally, I subscribed to Amazon Prime solely for the Holiday Special, only to find out that it's limited to the US. What gives, Mike and Jerry?

• Options
    EsteedEsteed Registered User regular
    Domovoi wrote: »
    That's too bad. Him and Mike making each other laugh resulted in so many great moments. Alas.

Incidentally, I subscribed to Amazon Prime solely for the Holiday Special, only to find out that it's limited to the US. What gives, Mike and Jerry?

This link might be helpful.

• Options
    FalhawkFalhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Falhawk was warned for this.
    Scott should focus on making his strips not completely boring. He has been mailing it for years. Even Jim Davis would be like "dude wtf?"

#bracingforincomingsycophants

Tube on
  • Options
    Falhawk wrote: »
    Scott should focus on making his strips not completely boring. He has been mailing it for years. Even Jim Davis would be like "dude wtf?"

#bracingforincomingsycophants

We see what you did there.

• Options
    DomovoiDomovoi Registered User regular
    Esteed wrote: »
    Domovoi wrote: »

This link might be helpful.

Thanks! Alas, those other regions does not include The Netherlands for some reason, so I guess I'm out of luck.

• Options
    @domovoi it's on Vimeo too!

• Options

Fair enough! I'm glad he's able to take and use his character as his own intellectual property, that seems the fair and right thing to do. I will never blame someone for wanting to have control of their own destiny.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    "GDT1985 wrote:
    If not Kris how about Liam O'Brien or Mathew Mercer?

As a big fan of Critical Role, I would absolutely love to see Matt get a chance to play.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I thought it interesting that Scott said Acq Inc was a PA property, as I always thought it was WotC owned and controlled, with the original episodes all being posted on WotC's website and I feel like a few pax Q&A's had mike and jerry commenting that it was WotC who chose where and when Acq Inc met up.

Maybe with the latest Acq Inc podcasts being up on the PA site, the control over the property switched over to PA fully with WotC's sponsorship

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I thought it interesting that Scott said Acq Inc was a PA property, as I always thought it was WotC owned and controlled, with the original episodes all being posted on WotC's website and I feel like a few pax Q&A's had mike and jerry commenting that it was WotC who chose where and when Acq Inc met up.

Maybe with the latest Acq Inc podcasts being up on the PA site, the control over the property switched over to PA fully with WotC's sponsorship

That's an interesting point. Especially with how much they've talked about expanding Acq Inc this may very well be the case. Regardless I'm sure it's a great marketing tool for WotC and the more it gets out there the better it will be for them. As an example I was given a DnD Red Box when I was very young and then had it taken away by my mother (who was worried it would cause me to kill myself, thanks religion) so I really played. Years later, loving Penny Arcade I started listening to the podcasts and a few years after that I got involved in DnD Adventures. Even though I had never played I knew most of the rules and the basics of how to play because of the podcasts and videos.