As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Any short comings?

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Any short comings?

On my hardware it's great, you'll want to check out the compatibility page for details on what you're looking to buy. It's Xubuntu 16.04 with some specific tweaks for Chromebook hardware. Thanks to a upgraded ssd I'm currently dual booting Gallium and Win10.

edit: should say upgraded ssd and custom firmware which necessitated removing write-protection screw.

august on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    How is Linux in general on higher DPI displays? I've been spoiled by the Mac Retina displays.

My yoga pro 3 looked alright with ubuntu, trying to load arch on it made my eyes hurt. Tiny letters were tiny.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Had a chance to tinker with my home Linux server today! Finally fixed it's graphics driver issues and can do Steam streaming again! Had to nuke it from orbit and rebuild the partition table.

Something got funky when I tried to do a UEFI install, switching to BIOS standard and getting rid of secure boot fixed everything.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Had a chance to tinker with my home Linux server today! Finally fixed it's graphics driver issues and can do Steam streaming again! Had to nuke it from orbit and rebuild the partition table.

Something got funky when I tried to do a UEFI install, switching to BIOS standard and getting rid of secure boot fixed everything.

UEFI installs are tricky sometimes, depending on the board. I've had to go in and disable all sorts of secure boot nonsense on ASUS boards, in particular. And then sometimes the installer still manages to fuck up the partitioning, lose access to disks, etc.

With each new version, I try my hand at UEFI install, and if it isn't as smooth as possible, I say fuck it and switch back to the old ways.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The current state of BIOS / hardware is pretty terrifying if you care about free software. Lots of companies taking away control from consumers, putting in potential backdoors for governments / other companies.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle has a Unix Book bundle,

wCEGoV0.png

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/unix-book-bundle

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I ended up snagging three sets. Two for gifts to friends.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    What are people using for Linux laptops these days?

I picked up a refurb Thinkpad T520 about six months back for $300CAN and it's been pretty great. I started out with Archlinux but got sick of fighting fires with small things that didn't work so I installed UbuntuMATE and haven't looked back.

@Fraz's post about elementary os has me thinking though... I may have to give that one a try...

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Hi all, I have a high DPI laptop and I installed Fedora 25 on it because I wanted to try Wayland and I pretty quickly learned that if you plug an external monitor into it that's of a normal DPI then the second monitor is basically useless because of scaling issues.

A few apps do adapt, but most of the major ones (browsers, etc) do not

I'm wondering if this issue is Wayland specific, and if I switch back to something like Ubuntu, will this problem be properly handled?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    My understanding is that HiDPI is problematic on pretty much all distros (and hell, Win 10 or basically anything that isn't OS X) right now.

I have no idea but I might try the latest version of vanilla Ubuntu with Unity.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    My understanding is that HiDPI is problematic on pretty much all distros (and hell, Win 10 or basically anything that isn't OS X) right now.

it definitely works fine on Windows 10

what is Unity?

It's the DE of vanilla Ubuntu,

edited January 2017
    Two things.

1. Weyland apparently does not do scaling as well as Xorg does.
    2. Apparently Gnome is the farthest along on multiDPI but you'd need to do some research to see if this made it into release or if you need to run devel to use it: http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mutter-Multi-DPI-And-More

Seidkona on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how I would go about putting a Linux distro on a disk (e.g. installer on a bootable USB) but with some extra utilities that don't come with the installer iso?

I often find myself plugging my ubuntu installer into things to run clamAV or gparted or whatever, but I'd really like to not have to apt-get them literally every time. Plus, cramming some files and browser add-ons in there too would be pretty helpful!

My primary PC is Windows 10, though, so something like Rufus would be ideal.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I would go about putting a Linux distro on a disk (e.g. installer on a bootable USB) but with some extra utilities that don't come with the installer iso?

I often find myself plugging my ubuntu installer into things to run clamAV or gparted or whatever, but I'd really like to not have to apt-get them literally every time. Plus, cramming some files and browser add-ons in there too would be pretty helpful!

The Bitdefender rescue CD already has gparted built in and a much better AV than Clam, along with Synaptic to get anything else you'd want. Direct ISO link: https://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/2013/bitdefender-rescue-cd.iso and USB instructions: https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

If they have Windows 10, you can have Defender boot into an offline mode without messing with a disk: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

templewulf wrote: »

The Bitdefender rescue CD already has gparted built in and a much better AV than Clam, along with Synaptic to get anything else you'd want. Direct ISO link: https://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/2013/bitdefender-rescue-cd.iso and USB instructions: https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

If they have Windows 10, you can have Defender boot into an offline mode without messing with a disk: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Thanks for the links!

Does the bit defender ISO also come with an installer for some flavor of Linux? That's basically my ideal; all the repair options, including nuke it and convert them to Linux.

edited February 2017
    No, I don't think it will install Linux from the disk, at least not without some finagling. Though if you're going to nuke the disk anyway you don't really need an AV scanner :P

Another option would be to add a script that will run the apt-get commands to install clam, etc, from a single command. If it's something you have to do often, I'd probably just carry around SysRecCD or Hiren's (or one of the AV discs) and the latest Ubuntu LTS on separate sticks.

a5ehren on
    edited February 2017
    No, I don't think it will install Linux from the disk, at least not without some finagling. Though if you're going to nuke the disk anyway you don't really need an AV scanner :P

Another option would be to add a script that will run the apt-get commands to install clam, etc, from a single command. If it's something you have to do often, I'd probably just carry around SysRecCD or Hiren's (or one of the AV discs) and the latest Ubuntu LTS on separate sticks.

Have you compared the Bitdefender ISO vs the Kaspersky Rescue ISO?

I currently use the Kaspersky Rescue to drill deep on machines that have infections but I am curios to how Bitdefender stacks up.

Seidkona on

Well, it's usually something like "My PC is ARGLE BARGLE", and I say "Okay, disk check, boot record, memtest, virus scan, oh huh, fuck that, install linux". Keeping it all on one USB drive would be ideal :biggrin:

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Xubuntu 16.04. Manually upgraded kernel to 4.8 by installing HWE (have a laptop with an AMD card, 4.4 isn't great with those). Worked fine after reboot. One day later, laptop won't send signal through HDMI. Reverted changes. After revert, laptop won't recognize any input other than power button. Haha linux

(I've since formatted and installed 16.04.2, so the only real price was losing a day of work)

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    While I love Arch Linux, I'm contemplating moving to something else on my work computer. Not sure where the best balance of "cool shit already in the repos" vs "stable" is, though.

Entaru wrote: »

Have you compared the Bitdefender ISO vs the Kaspersky Rescue ISO?

I currently use the Kaspersky Rescue to drill deep on machines that have infections but I am curios to how Bitdefender stacks up.

I haven't actually used either of them, but I know some people get skittish about Kaspersky and Bitdefender has equally good detection rates.
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Xubuntu 16.04. Manually upgraded kernel to 4.8 by installing HWE (have a laptop with an AMD card, 4.4 isn't great with those). Worked fine after reboot. One day later, laptop won't send signal through HDMI. Reverted changes. After revert, laptop won't recognize any input other than power button. Haha linux

(I've since formatted and installed 16.04.2, so the only real price was losing a day of work)

Don't manually update your kernel unless you are willing to port patches yourself and work through weird build issues. Usually better off backporting specific things from newer kernels if you really need it.
    Houn wrote: »
    While I love Arch Linux, I'm contemplating moving to something else on my work computer. Not sure where the best balance of "cool shit already in the repos" vs "stable" is, though.

Fedora is more bleeding edge than something like Ubuntu LTS or CentOS, but I don't know if they've gotten their release-to-release upgrade situation sorted out. Another option would be the non-LTS Ubuntu flavor of your choice.

I would have a hard time not using Ubuntu LTS or CentOS/RedHat on a system I'm using to make money, though.

Well, my "primary" work box will always be my Windows Laptop (though I usually throw a VM on there). Honestly, my job is 99% browser based, so when I say "goodies", I mean "access to a good tiling window manager so I don't go insane, some decent good-looking fonts and rendering, and maybe mpd for music."

If you know what DWM you like, you could try to find a distro that is built around that and throw it in a VM to see if it does what you want. CentOS probably isn't where you'll want to go for pretty fonts, though.

I'm using i3 right now, but I'd be willing to try others. i3 kinda makes tiling easy-mode, though, and I love that workspaces are dynamically created/destroyed as needed.

Fedora ships with i3 in the default repos, apparently: https://fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-i3-window-manager/

They've also added an easier update mechanism as of Fedora 23, so maybe that's better now.

Or you can add the PPA to Ubuntu and do it there: https://i3wm.org/docs/repositories.html

I got Fedora 25 in a VM, but don't have time to really muck with it right this second. Was able to get i3 installed super-easy, though.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    I've been pretty impressed with how smoothly Fedora upgrades between releases. I don't use my Fedora partition that much, though; it's never had much stuff installed from outside the default repos that could break.

What really impressed me was that I could successfully downgrade from a beta channel to a stable release.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    If you don't want to leave Arch completely, there's a flavor of Manjaro that uses i3 as well.

My understanding is that Manjaro can lag behind Arch Proper in security updates. I'm still happy with Arch on my home box, I just want to fiddle less on my work machines.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    My understanding is that Manjaro can lag behind Arch Proper in security updates. I'm still happy with Arch on my home box, I just want to fiddle less on my work machines.

From my experience, Manjaro updates are about a week or two behind Arch proper.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    anyone have an idea on how to burn a windows 7 install iso to a usb drive in ubuntu?

I've tried several options, most prominent being mkusb, but none of them have allowed me to boot the usb stick.

Kind of need this, as my main windows system fucked up hard and i need the disk to run recovery options. i dont have a dvd burner to make a new dvd install disk.

edit
    whoop managed to get the disk from someone and fix it, but i'd still like to know how to do this for future reference.

Buttcleft on
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    anyone have an idea on how to burn a windows 7 install iso to a usb drive in ubuntu?

I've tried several options, most prominent being mkusb, but none of them have allowed me to boot the usb stick.

Kind of need this, as my main windows system fucked up hard and i need the disk to run recovery options. i dont have a dvd burner to make a new dvd install disk.

This is what I use: https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/usb-imagewriter

You should be able to add the ppa in the top comment on that page, and apt-get install it. Note: I use it in Mint, so while it should work in Ubuntu, I can't promise you that. Definitely worth a try, though, it's amazingly simple and has never failed me.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

This is what I use: https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/usb-imagewriter

You should be able to add the ppa in the top comment on that page, and apt-get install it. Note: I use it in Mint, so while it should work in Ubuntu, I can't promise you that. Definitely worth a try, though, it's amazingly simple and has never failed me.

You've successfully used that to burn a bootable iso to a usb stick?

Thanks for the tip.

edited March 2017
    Thawmus wrote: »

You've successfully used that to burn a bootable iso to a usb stick?

Thanks for the tip.

I have indeed.

EDIT: Holy shit I'm slow.

Thawmus on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Anyone here have much experience with using Linux through Crouton on a newer Chromebook?

I have an Asus C302 and tried running Ubuntu (trusty first, xenial second) and was unable to get my trackpad to work.

Ive seen some mentions of older chipsets and trackpads but didn't have much luck. Is there a compatibility issue with skylake or elan trackpads?

The clicking registers but the pointer is either not responsive or takes some serious pressure to wiggle just a bit. I've tried messing with the device sensitivity but it does not seem to matter, or I am doing something wrong in the terminal.

I think crouton still uses the ChromeOS kernel, which may cause problems?

I'd use chrx to double boot GalliumOS or maybe install alternate firmware to nuke ChromeOS entirely and install Linux (or even Windows if you want.) But you should of course check hardware compatibility and if it's worth your while on your model.

Wanting a more full-featured (read: too lazy to build it all myself) desktop, I'm trying Cinnamon again. It's... ok? There are little things that kinda bug me, like a misaligned icon here, a default keybinding there. Also, I'm disappointed that it seems that the only GTK calc is GNOME Calc?

Gnome Apps are going to drive me to KDE, aren't they?