As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, the outside box was an Amazon box. So, they probably opened my factory-packed exterior box, saw there were two boxes inside (game + minis), and so repacked in another box?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So we played mvm yesterday and got to open "the box" directly after a discussion of how we all figured it would be many missions later. It did not disappoint. Also killed a couple more missions first try, but it was always by the skin of our teeth. We won the box mission on the literal last possible turn. Game still badly needs eratta for a host of things, but is fun as shit, so very very satisfying when you get a fully charged chain lightning to kill 5 minions. Looking forward to homebrew missions once we are done, there is a lot of flex in how all these components can come together.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, the outside box was an Amazon box. So, they probably opened my factory-packed exterior box, saw there were two boxes inside (game + minis), and so repacked in another box?

Some comments on BGG support this. It's bizarre as to why they'd do it but at least you actually got it in a box instead of the shipping label slapped on the actual game box, which WTF I would be livid. I'm almost dreading what shape my copy is going to show up in.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Before:
    ng5slc4cz6uw.jpg

After:
    6ud8hvzyg0h5.jpg

Still could use some further organization (already bugging me that titles arent all facing the same way where possible), and a surprising amount didn't fit at all, which will be the spur that will actually get me to part with lesser played titles (or unplayed, a dismaying amount have never been taken out of shrink). But overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it even makes the room feel a little bigger.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I have gone from excitement about getting Gloomhaven today to excited dread (dreaded excitement) purely based on the last ten comments here. Oh boy.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh my god Amazon why would you do this (image from BGG)

qwlq6cP.jpg

Rius on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So Jaipur is good.

Did I say good? I meant great!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Rius wrote: »
    Oh my god Amazon why would you do this (image from BGG)

qwlq6cP.jpg

Animals!

Campy on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    I got my copy of Gloomhaven this morning, unmarked. I had no idea I'd dodged a bullet until I read this thread.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    I got my copy of Gloomhaven this morning, unmarked. I had no idea I'd dodged a bullet until I read this thread.

Honestly, most people should get their game unscathed. Sounds like about 10% are getting it with split corners no matter how it was packed just because of the sheer size and a very smaller percentage are getting the horror stories.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »

Same, as confirmed by my girlfriend after I asked her to open it and check it out.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Finally got my shipping notice. Arrival tomorrow. I had a snow day today and I hope for one tomorrow! They're so much better as a teacher.

edit: Though now I'm scared!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Finally got my shipping notice.

you just made the list

• Options
      Magic Pink wrote: »

you just made the list

I couldn't tell if I was in the Trump thread or board game thread

• Options
        MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        Clearly you are in the Jericho thread.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • Options
        My copy arrived! The missus says it's the original brown box inside an Amazon box with some air bags, so Amazon did ok. They added a box, but whatever! Once I get home I'll see if there's any seam popping inside, but I'm just happy it's not the actual game box itself, shudder.

• Options

you just made the list

it can be two things!

no, wait, change that, fuck trump forever

• Options

you just made the list

it can be two things!

I think we'd be good friends if we lived near one another, @Magic Pink . I could share the board game collecting burden!

• Options
          jclastjclast Registered User regular
          It totally can be both!

51XBCXJ23KL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

camo_sig2.png
        • Options

you just made the list

it can be two things!

I think we'd be good friends if we lived near one another, @Magic Pink . I could share the board game collecting burden!

DON'T YOU TOUCH MY PILES

• Options
          edited January 2017
          I meant buying new ones, not taking ones you have! haha!

TimFiji on
          • Options
            Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

you just made the list

it can be two things!

I think we'd be good friends if we lived near one another, "Magic Pink" . I could share the board game collecting burden!

DON'T YOU TOUCH MY PILES
            https://youtu.be/wlJgD4GuDVs

8i1dt37buh2m.png
          • Options
          • Options
            DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
            This box is kind of huge.

I used to say that, but I'm a board game box size queen now, so I'm afraid I can't take your word for it unless you take a picture of it next to a copy of Space Hulk or Kingdom Death for comparison.

• Options
            AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
            DarkPrimus wrote: »

I used to say that, but I'm a board game box size queen now, so I'm afraid I can't take your word for it unless you take a picture of it next to a copy of Space Hulk or Kingdom Death for comparison.

It is noticeably taller but not as long as the Kingdom Death box, so KD is probably a bit bigger.

This is a really clear rulebook thus far, imo.

• Options
            BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
            A store near me had a sale going on, so I picked up the Pathfinder card game: Pirate Flavor, because I'd heard interesting things about the game and my group likes pirates. After playing a couple of solo games to get the feel for it, the word underlying this game is prepwork. You have to make character decks, then shuffle all the possible item decks, then build location decks using them, then shuffle everything again... Gah. The box insert is monstrous, presumably to hold all the cards for the expansions, but then the individual card trays are supposed to hold all the cards together in addition to having a special space just for the expansions by themselves. Are you supposed to keep the expansions separate from the trays, or just keep adding them to your piles as your collection grows?

And there's an entire class of card, "Loot," of which there is only one in the entire box and it gets a dedicated slot all to itself. Somebody explain this to me.

But the topper might be that it comes with a bonus 10-pack of clear sleeves, but there are by default at least 14 cards that you're encouraged to write on through the course of a campaign.

GNU Terry Pratchett
            PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
            Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
            Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
          • Options
            Bursar wrote: »
            A store near me had a sale going on, so I picked up the Pathfinder card game: Pirate Flavor, because I'd heard interesting things about the game and my group likes pirates. After playing a couple of solo games to get the feel for it, the word underlying this game is prepwork. You have to make character decks, then shuffle all the possible item decks, then build location decks using them, then shuffle everything again... Gah. The box insert is monstrous, presumably to hold all the cards for the expansions, but then the individual card trays are supposed to hold all the cards together in addition to having a special space just for the expansions by themselves. Are you supposed to keep the expansions separate from the trays, or just keep adding them to your piles as your collection grows?

And there's an entire class of card, "Loot," of which there is only one in the entire box and it gets a dedicated slot all to itself. Somebody explain this to me.

But the topper might be that it comes with a bonus 10-pack of clear sleeves, but there are by default at least 14 cards that you're encouraged to write on through the course of a campaign.

Add to your piles as you go.

There will be more Loot cards as you open Adventure decks.

There are printable files on the Paizo website; you don;t have to write on your cards.

• Options
            Auralynx wrote: »

It is noticeably taller but not as long as the Kingdom Death box, so KD is probably a bit bigger.

Unless something comes close to Cthulhu Wars, it will always be just medium size. Space Hulk and KDM are half the size of that.

• Options
            DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Unless something comes close to Cthulhu Wars, it will always be just medium size. Space Hulk and KDM are half the size of that.

To be fair, you store all the giant miniatures in Cthulhu Wars in the same box. The box you typically see from Kingdom Death is all the not miniature stuff.

There's a box just as big that comes with the miniatures on the sprues, and they don't expect you to be able to store the miniatures in there once assembled. :razz:

• Options
            Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Gloomhaven: 16x11.5x7.5
            Cthulhu Wars: 17 x 13 x 6.5

They're pretty close

• Options

I'll check when I can but seriously, it's a non-negligable box. Just not the most ambitious I know of. Very efficient packing too. Little wasted space.

• Options
            WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
            What are some good tips to tell new players of Samurai Spirit as I'm teaching them (me being new to the game myself)?

- Good rule of thumb before being overwhelmed or passing for the round is to try and get your three defense slots filled (?)
            - Getting overwhelmed during your turn is not a guaranteed pass on your next turn, as teammates can still take out that last Raider card to keep you in the round/wave when your turn comes up
            - Keep in mind the talents of your teammates and remember that the Support action is available to save teammates/do combos
            - Use the first round/wave to see what kind of enemies you'll encounter and formualte a strategy for in the next rounds/waves
            - How can we prevent alpha player syndrome?

• Options
            InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
            edited January 2017
            Know it is a bit of a long shot given the way most interests in this thread skews but has anyone here played both the revised Band of Brothers Screaming Eagles and Ghost Panzer and can say which would be a better entry point to the system.

Inquisitor on
          • Options
            InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
            What are some good tips to tell new players of Samurai Spirit as I'm teaching them (me being new to the game myself)?

- Good rule of thumb before being overwhelmed or passing for the round is to try and get your three defense slots filled (?)
            - Getting overwhelmed during your turn is not a guaranteed pass on your next turn, as teammates can still take out that last Raider card to keep you in the round/wave when your turn comes up
            - Keep in mind the talents of your teammates and remember that the Support action is available to save teammates/do combos
            - Use the first round/wave to see what kind of enemies you'll encounter and formualte a strategy for in the next rounds/waves
            - How can we prevent alpha player syndrome?

Don't put a low value (1 or 2 generally) enemy as your first card on your combat (right) side. That means if you kiai that all you are reducing your total by is 1 or 2, meaning you are giving yourself very few outs that do not make you bust. (Some exceptions can be made based on other abilities in the group).

It can be worth shoving cards on your left side just to keep a no bad effect at the start of your turn card on your right side.

People tend to have a hard time with the double fight power, you basically use it to keep bad start of turn effects from showing up on your right side, if you don't have a bad start of turn effect there, don't double fight.

As for preventing alpha player syndrome... sadly the only answer is play with players that don't do obnoxious alpha player crap.

• Options
            Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
            jclast wrote: »
            It totally can be both!

I actually bought a copy of that ages ago. It was 99p and Trump means fart so we thought it would be funny. It never actually made it to the table. I'm not sure where it is now.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
          • Options
            Gloomhaven has zero capacity to repack in the box. The contents are nice and snug for shipping, but once you pop the 18 sheets of cardboard it's all over. I'm not complaining about it as such, it's just not something you can bring to someone's house in the box. Not if you want setup time to take less than a decade.

For example, a monster is technically 4-10 cardboard standees, a stack of ~10 small size cards and one 4" square card. I put each set of those into its own ziplock bag for now, and the whole mess of them into these nice plastic cube boxes I have, but the space they now occupy is way larger.

The standees are all different sizes, which is great for art but a disaster for compact storage. It basically needs a custom solution or a dozen different improv ones. I need a small chest of drawers on wheels for this thing, with a variety of drawer sizes, widths and compartments.

It's going to be fun to play but not so fun to unpack, heh.

• Options
            Gloomhaven has zero capacity to repack in the box. The contents are nice and snug for shipping, but once you pop the 18 sheets of cardboard it's all over. I'm not complaining about it as such, it's just not something you can bring to someone's house in the box. Not if you want setup time to take less than a decade.

For example, a monster is technically 4-10 cardboard standees, a stack of ~10 small size cards and one 4" square card. I put each set of those into its own ziplock bag for now, and the whole mess of them into these nice plastic cube boxes I have, but the space they now occupy is way larger.

The standees are all different sizes, which is great for art but a disaster for compact storage. It basically needs a custom solution or a dozen different improv ones. I need a small chest of drawers on wheels for this thing, with a variety of drawer sizes, widths and compartments.

Meh. All my games are packed in ziplock baggies with the insert tossed; Gloomhaven will be no different. That's just what has to happen.

• Options
            DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
            Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
            It totally can be both!

I actually bought a copy of that ages ago. It was 99p and Trump means fart so we thought it would be funny. It never actually made it to the table. I'm not sure where it is now.
            Running the country I live in, I'm afraid. :sad:

• Options
            Delduwath wrote: »
            Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
            It totally can be both!

Running the country I live in, I'm afraid. :sad:

I think that's open to interpretation

• Options

So you're saying I should definitely smuggle a bunch of these little cardboard boxes home today? Got it.